Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

or the latest, some battery operated tube thingie you can put in your purse, and just whip out and move across your face, lip area, neck, as if you're smoothing on lotion.

I looked it up on Amazon (Flawless by Finishing Touch) to read the reviews and apparently, it's a tiny, weak, battery-operated spot razor.

• Love 1
48 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My Epilady gave me ingrown hairs all over my legs. I couldn't wear a skirt or shorts for two years. Never again.

Sorry, stupid quote feature wasn't working right.  I never tried the Epilady brand, but I was SURE that ingrown hairs would be the result.  Your experience at LEAST deserves a full refund!

Edited by Brattinella
44 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

My Epilady gave me ingrown hairs all over my legs. I couldn't wear a skirt or shorts for two years. Never again.

I remember getting the very first Epilady years ago; Some model/actress rolled it across legs that were already smooth! But naive me bought it and it was nothing short of torture! Though I have to say, the one spot on my lower calf no longer has hair there. And it was nothing but coils that grabbed and pulled the hair out. So many years later, I got a Remington Epilady, I think. Not a coil in sight and I use it in between shaving my legs. And no ingrown hairs. Then again, my hair has grown back softer and finer and less hair, since I finished chemo. Lost ALL of my hair--EVERYWHERE. my body was like pre-puberty or something. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, peacheslatour said:

Lol, Brattinella! Did that happen to you too?

I tried a generic version, it was like described above by Riley702:  Weak, tiny, and it PULLED OUT the hairs on my lip!  YIKES!  I think it was advertised as an electric razor.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, wraithlead said:

The one that bothers me is the McDonald's commercial about the kid getting into college. All the commentary about McDonald's not just being a first job, but a job for people less fortunate than ad execs, and the consequences for how the country thinks about minimum wage, I just keep thinking "What if he didn't get in?"

You can't just snatch it out of his hand that way...

Sorry if this was mentioned. I just found this thread.

I thought the letter in the McDonald's commercial was from McDonald's to the kid to tell him that he was accepted into their college tuition assistance program. I thought the kid knew what it said when he walked into the restaurant because the envelope was clearly open when he handed it to the manager. I'll have to watch it closer when it airs again. Of course, it feels like I saw that commercial 5 times and hour but now it won't come on at all since I want it to.

• Love 3
On ‎09‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 10:16 AM, seasons said:

This. This makes me stabby. Everything about it. Especially that incredibly irritating music. 

I had it on mute and I still hated it.  Of course, everything about Cristiano Ronaldo makes me stabby, especially his smug, smirky face.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I remember getting the very first Epilady years ago; Some model/actress rolled it across legs that were already smooth!

That's something I hate about razor commercials.

I can't hate that Cristiano Ronaldo commercial (whatever it's for--I'm not going to google the name at the end like they want me to), because it didn't end with him either getting with the housekeeper or wacky hijinks as he tried to figure out how to get back into his room, like I thought it was going to.

Edited by janie jones

I can't remember what the product is other than some juice drink, but the commercial features a brat threatening to shave the head of another brat unless mom buys the juice drink.  This commercial really irritates me with these kids trying to blackmail mom.  If I were the mom I'd say, "Be my guest" to the one with the shaver and "Don't come crying to me when everyone at school makes fun of you" to the one allowing her head to be shaved.  Did the ad people really think these children were endearing?

• Love 12
16 hours ago, configdotsys said:

I thought the letter in the McDonald's commercial was from McDonald's to the kid to tell him that he was accepted into their college tuition assistance program. I thought the kid knew what it said when he walked into the restaurant because the envelope was clearly open when he handed it to the manager. I'll have to watch it closer when it airs again. Of course, it feels like I saw that commercial 5 times and hour but now it won't come on at all since I want it to.

Tuition reimbursement programs don't usually have an application/acceptance process, at least for bigger companies. There's a certain amount you can get. It requires registering at an approved college (usually just an accredited one), getting the appropriate grades, and submitting the paperwork. It's something that any employee can do. That's why I took this as college acceptance. Also, that language, "after careful consideration" and all, is pretty typical college acceptance wording.

And even if he knew what it said, the manager didn't. Maybe he was hoping to have a private conversation about how he didn't get into college, so he wanted to see about getting on the management track or something. I know I'm overthinking, but it just bothers me that they show some manager so happy to override what the unassuming teenager wanted.

Also, put me on the list of people that hate the self-appendectomy commercial. Anything that gross, and I'm going to self-boycott out of spite, even if I know it won't make any difference. They took it too far.

Edited by wraithlead

Can't stand the Verizon commercials with Thomas Middleditch, basically playing off his Silicon Valley character and trying to be funny and awkward. 

Just the way he looks and is dressed bugs me for one thing.  Unshaven, tennis shoes, shirt buttoned all the way up.  Trying to be "dress up hip" but just misses terribly.  ]

And his personality is just irritating and doesn't work on a short commercial. 

• Love 3

Speaking of telephone commercials, I can't stand the Sprint one, that features that annoying, arrogant, smug "Can you hear me now?" asshole that used to work for/hawk for Verizon. I can't recall the last time a commercial had someone trash talk a company they used to work for. Show and talk about the differences, sure, but not throw shade at the former employer like this douche does. Not that I cared for him when he was working for Verizon. My favorite Verizon commercial was with that mob guy. Yes, it had this same asshole, but it also had a mob boss bring asshole to the top of a cliff, and when asshole told him the benefits of Verizon, mob boss loses the poker face and goes all fluster about how to get a strong signal. It sounds stupid when I write about it; guess you just have to see it to know what I mean!

• Love 13
18 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Speaking of telephone commercials, I can't stand the Sprint one, that features that annoying, arrogant, smug "Can you hear me now?" asshole that used to work for/hawk for Verizon. I can't recall the last time a commercial had someone trash talk a company they used to work for. Show and talk about the differences, sure, but not throw shade at the former employer like this douche does. Not that I cared for him when he was working for Verizon. My favorite Verizon commercial was with that mob guy. Yes, it had this same asshole, but it also had a mob boss bring asshole to the top of a cliff, and when asshole told him the benefits of Verizon, mob boss loses the poker face and goes all fluster about how to get a strong signal. It sounds stupid when I write about it; guess you just have to see it to know what I mean!

Not to mention, it plays on the public being naive. He's an actor. He's always been an actor. He went to school for a degree in English, not engineering. It was bad enough that Verizon did it, but Sprint takes it to the next level.

They've had dishonest commercials from the get-go, including when I used to sell for them at an independent retailer.

I hate Sprint.

• Love 6
6 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Can't stand the Verizon commercials with Thomas Middleditch, basically playing off his Silicon Valley character and trying to be funny and awkward. 

Just the way he looks and is dressed bugs me for one thing.  Unshaven, tennis shoes, shirt buttoned all the way up.  Trying to be "dress up hip" but just misses terribly.  ]

And his personality is just irritating and doesn't work on a short commercial. 

It doesn't help that I've never seen Silicon Valley and therefore have no idea who the hipster douche is.

• Love 4

I actually like this ad.  It has a sense of humor, and, considering Ronaldo is probably one of the top ten most recognizable athletes n the world, I think it will be successful. 

That just shows how out of the loop I am when it comes to sports because I had no idea who Cristiano Ronaldo is. Even after looking him up I don't know why most Americans would know who he is. And I have no idea what product this ad is for either. 

• Love 7

Don't know if anyone has mentioned these but I hate the Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial "real meal for 5 bucks," where the Colonel continues to state this as he stands in front of each "real meal" that's $5. Argh I detest that commercial. 

I've also had it with the American Insurance Commercial where JHud and some guy sings "Lovely Day." It was a nice commercial when it first started to air. Now it's just annoying. 

Another one I hate is the Kristen Stewart "Gabrielle" perfume commercial. First off the commercial itself looks ridiculous. What is the point of her running through a gold wall with Beyoncé attempting to sing a song in the background that's all wrong for her voice? Nothing about that commercial will make me buy that perfume. 

Edited by Enero
  • Love 7
40 minutes ago, Enero said:

Don't know if anyone has mentioned these but I hate the Kentucky Fried Chicken commercial "real meal for 5 bucks," where the Colonel continues to state this as he stands in front of each "real meal" that's $5. Argh I detest that commercial.

"Finger lickin', finger lickin', finger lickin', finger lickin'..."

• Love 6
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 0:23 AM, Jaded said:

It's like some weird attempt at a women's empowerment commercial gone terribly terribly wrong.

And Julia Roberts already freed us from those diamond chains lol

• Love 7
5 hours ago, iMonrey said:

That just shows how out of the loop I am when it comes to sports because I had no idea who Cristiano Ronaldo is. Even after looking him up I don't know why most Americans would know who he is. And I have no idea what product this ad is for either. 

Yeah, it's funny how out of the loop America is in regards to soccer. According to who you ask, either he or Lionel Messi is the best soccer player in the world. They get mobbed everywhere they go. Mobbed. I would argue that worldwide, they are definitely the most recognizable athletes.

I assume the ad is selling underwear because his name was under that logo? The funny thing is, Ronaldo always seems to be half naked anyway. All that oohing and ahhing in the ad like it's a rare thing. Hell, that's a Tuesday on his Instagram page. 

• Love 4

It's annoying af.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, tanyak said:

Yeah, it's funny how out of the loop America is in regards to soccer.

Like many sports it goes in and out of style in the U.S. A really newsworthy player can help. Everybody knew who Pelé was at the time, and there have been golfers who temporarily sparked interest in that game.

"A Bushel and a Peck" is a popular song written by Frank Loesser and published in 1950. The song was introduced in the Broadway musical Guys and Dolls, which opened at the 46th Street Theater on November 24, 1950. It was performed on stage by Vivian Blaine, who later reprised her role as Miss Adelaide in the 1955 film version of the play. "A Bushel and a Peck," however, was not included in the film, and instead replaced by a new song, titled "Pet Me, Poppa."

From wiki.

• Love 4

"Pet Me, Poppa."

That sounds dirty!

The one I can't stand is the one for 23 and me in which a woman named Nicole is traveling the world seeing all the places she is from while "Getting to Know You" plays in the background. Nicole is a perfectly lovely woman and I like the song -- but the version used in the commercial sets my teeth on edge!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, mmecorday said:

That sounds dirty!

The one I can't stand is the one for 23 and me in which a woman named Nicole is traveling the world seeing all the places she is from while "Getting to Know You" plays in the background. Nicole is a perfectly lovely woman and I like the song -- but the version used in the commercial sets my teeth on edge!

The song in that ad is being sung by Gertrude Lawrence, who originated the song on Broadway.  She was the first person ever to sing it.

• Love 3

DeVry ad, projecting various things on the sides of buildings; I wasn't really paying attention. And then it becomes annoying - the camera points straight down a movie projector and its flickering lights, enough to get me to look up from my computer. Now, it's not a steady flicker, which is what I understand can be triggery for epilepsy, but it's still annoying as hell to have a bright white light flashed in your face.

On 9/13/2017 at 8:32 PM, Brattinella said:

I love that song.  My mom used to sing it to me.  Doris Day, I think.

My paternal grandma sang it to me. Weirdly, there's also a recent commercial with "Bibbidi Bobbidy Boo" in it, which my maternal grandma sang to me.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wBwr/xfinity-best-offer-of-the-year-cant-miss-featuring-dude-perfect  They probably expect viewers to know who the turd in this commercial is, but I don't.  (If you know who he is, don't waste your finger power informing me.  I actively don't want to know who he is.)  I can't fucking stand him.  Something about the way he cocks his head to punctuate what he's saying fills me with rage.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, janie jones said:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wBwr/xfinity-best-offer-of-the-year-cant-miss-featuring-dude-perfect  They probably expect viewers to know who the turd in this commercial is, but I don't.  (If you know who he is, don't waste your finger power informing me.  I actively don't want to know who he is.)  I can't fucking stand him.  Something about the way he cocks his head to punctuate what he's saying fills me with rage.

Could there be more young white dudes in that commercial?

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Ugh. I have not seen that one.

Ahhhh, betcha you have and were just too dazzled by the Duluth Trading almost-animation to realize it. Those commercials are pretty much everywhere.

• Love 2

So it's taken this damn commercial to finally get me to create an account...but man do I hate the new Johnsonville sausage commercial - the one with the 70's style throwback game show where the guy wins a boat full of sausage. I hate hate hate the narrator guys voice, its so nasally it drives me insane!!!

It feels good to get that out.

• Love 5
17 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Awww - I think the Johnsonville sausage commercials are funny. ;-}

I only like the one with the guy talking to the animals in the woods. It cracks me up when the guy says he learned to talk to animals from books.

Also welcome StarlitPie! It does feel good to get it out, doesn't it?

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 6