Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

18 hours ago, Jaded said:

Between watching The Daily Show, Colbert and Late Night with Seth Meyers I've seen this commercial more times then I've cared to.

Hah! First time I've seen it. How very coincidental that this post was nestled in amongst the Charmin and Northern posts. First thing I thought was that Kristen was wrapped in tp, very much like that Halloween Cub Scout activity we den mothers unfailingly used at meetings. Mummies, don'tcha know :) 

• Love 5
3 hours ago, configdotsys said:

The guy looks so familiar. Is he famous or on some other commercial these days?

He's been in a few Volvo commercials over the past year or so - there was that strange one where he was sitting in the back seat while they were apparently heading to/from his daughter's wedding.  I think he's been in a few others in that series.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, configdotsys said:

This will be unpopular but I grew up with cold, unemotional parents: the commercial with the guy sitting in a Volvo or whatever blubbering about not being ready for his little girl to get married... give me a break. The guy looks so familiar. Is he famous or on some other commercial these days?

I can't answer your question, but I'm annoyed to learn that this commercial is airing again.  I hope I don't see it.

• Love 2
19 hours ago, configdotsys said:

This will be unpopular but I grew up with cold, unemotional parents: the commercial with the guy sitting in a Volvo or whatever blubbering about not being ready for his little girl to get married... give me a break. The guy looks so familiar. Is he famous or on some other commercial these days?

Is that the one where he's sitting by a lighthouse? I always felt that guy was about to floor it and end it all. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Broken Ox said:

Is that the one where he's sitting by a lighthouse? I always felt that guy was about to floor it and end it all. 

Yes. That is the one. I had no idea this aired at some point before. It's almost every other commercial on CNN these days. I swear they are running it 20 times a day.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Are they talking about mundane experiences, or something kinkier that a couple might do?

Since they seem to be touting a new toilet paper to cure it, I'm going with mundane. Although, the thought of Mrs Fluffy Tail watching the kinky with a horrified look makes me giggle.

Edited by riley702
an all-important comma
  • Love 2
On 9/7/2017 at 5:15 PM, configdotsys said:

He probably looks familiar to you because of the Volvo "Wedding" commercial last year. It was titled "Wedding". I finally saw that in the small print. I was honestly thinking it was a funeral, since it seemed pretty somber and even the flowers visible on the rear deck spelled "funeral" to me. Apparently this lighthouse "letter" commercial is the prequel. Nonlinear storytelling, don't ya know :) Annoying and irritating, at least to me. You can have a lot of fun googling it and reading the comments.

http://www.smarterstorytelling.com/blog/volvo-wedding/

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 2

The thing about those Volvo ads that bugs me is the vague "ethnic diversity" of the family.  Don't get me wrong, ethnic diversity is great!  But I find it annoying in advertising...it feels manipulative and manufactured.  I feel the same way when ads feature same sex couples.  I can always hear the ad agency conversations that went on..."now we want to appeal to a modern, hip sensibility so let's make the couple getting married in this jewelry ad two women!  And we'll see them leaning in for a kiss BUT NOT actually kissing!  Too much!  Oh, and make sure they are attractive!  Nothing butch!"  On top of that, the use of the usual annoying "indie" song is of course bothersome.  What is this supposed to be?  Dad and his little girls favorite song?  They go out to shows together and y'know, hang out and stuff?  So close and loving!  

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 4

lol, that perfume ad!  Epic bad.  That is some fragrance!  Wow!  It's gonna allow you to finally bust through those glass walls that have been keeping you imprisoned in your current, objectively terrible state of existence!  Oh Gabrielle!  Come rescue me!  Set me free you fragrance of the gods!  

• Love 8

Geez, I hate these commercials. The extended version of this commercial starts out OK I guess but goes downhill fast. Why do they need this sap to sell toilet paper?!? When the girl as a teen comes in crying he gives her like two sheets of toilet paper? Are they anti-Kleenex? Why does she go running into the bathroom anyway when she is upset? I also noticed she is wearing almost the same outfit when she is a little girl and as a teen running down the hall. Dude doesn't have a lady friend in all these years to help out? The shaving thing is just creepy. He watches her like she is performing brain surgery or something. She needs dad to help figure out how to shave her legs? What if she needs to ladyscape? Dad needs a girlfriend asap to be stepmom or something.

Edited by seasons
  • Love 4

"I (dramatic pause)... pinky promised my little girl a fabulous garden party for her birthday. So, I mowed the lawn, put up all the decorations... I THOUGHT I got everything."

"ALMOST everything, dumb ass." 

Too bad you didn't splurge for $7 bucks for some Rid X so there wouldn't be a swampy shitstorm in your backyard on garden party day. What are the odds of that happening?

Would have loved to be in on the concept meeting for the thought process on this absurdity. Ridiculous.

Love the dad's eyeroll that becomes almost pre-homicidal when Ben the septic guy hits him with a $13,000 bill. Lesson learned. D'oh! Someone had better check on Ben and that "septic disaster" sooner rather than later.

BTW, I do love Rid X. I like when the commercial shows those enzymes working their asses off to munch up septic shit. I love knowing that's happening in my septic tank.

Edited by seasons
Break down waste. Avoid a septic disaster.
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, seasons said:

The extended version of this commercial starts out OK I guess but goes downhill fast. Why do they need this sap to sell toilet paper?!? When the girl as a teen comes in crying he gives her like two sheets of toilet paper? Are they anti-Kleenex? Why does she go running into the bathroom anyway when she is upset? I also noticed she is wearing almost the same outfit when she is a little girl and as a teen running down the hall. Dude doesn't have a lady friend in all these years to help out? The shaving thing is just creepy. He watches her like she is performing brain surgery or something. She needs dad to help figure out how to shave her legs? What if she needs to ladyscape? Dad needs a girlfriend asap to be stepmom or something.

I hate everything about this commercial.  Like, why does that lady get all snotty when he says there's no changing table in the men's room?  Does she really think he's using his baby as a way to get into the women's bathroom and, what, peep on the women?  (As if he could actually get away with that, by the way.  If he were going peep or attack someone, aside from that being nearly impossible with a baby in tow, there are a thousand people in that bathroom who will intervene.) 

Secondly, why can't he leave her alone when she's upset?  She obviously wants to be alone.  Do the makers of this commercial think that all women secretly want you to come after them when they tell you not to?

In the one scene she looks a little old to be having a first period.  What I mean is, she looks "old" as in well past puberty.  She may well be 14 but looks well into her period years.

The shaving thing we talked about a while back, so I will restate my opinion on that, which is that between common sense and reading the instructions, no one should need to be taught how to shave.  Also, does anyone in real life use toilet paper to stop up blood?  And even if the dad does use toilet paper for that, it's not useful advice for her, because she's going to be shaving her legs in the shower in all likelihood.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Broken Ox said:

I  love it for the dismissively distracted way the bride tells her not to get that dress, it's too small.  

I love that part!  If that wasn't the closer, I'd skip right past the commercial, because, jeez, folks, help your poor friend out of the dress she's stuck in.  But the actor playing the bride so perfectly delivers that line that I must stick around for it every time.

• Love 3

I (dramatic pause)... pinky promised my little girl a fabulous garden party for her birthday. So, I mowed the lawn, put up all the decorations...

Pinky promised? I've always heard "pinky swear". Is it the word "swear" that's the problem? Jesus, this is why young people are growing up to be such snowflakes. We must shield them from the word swear.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Broken Ox said:

I  love it for the dismissively distracted way the bride tells her not to get that dress, it's too small.  

That line makes that commercial for me.  For her delivery alone, and also if not for the delivery, it wouldn't be funny that she was informing the bridesmaid of the very thing that caused her to call "Sarah" into the room in the first place.

(Also, I've only ever heard "pinky swear," too.)

• Love 4

I want to smack this guy. (Not the gingerbread guy.) How stupid can he be?

I'm hoping the woman is that guy's caretaker or something.

The gingerbread man is smarter than the human man. WTF?

Edited by seasons
  • Love 2

It seems like everyone hates the Gabrielle Chanek perfume ad as much as I do.  I actually bought the perfume when it came out and then I saw this commercial.  WTF?  Kristen Stewart? Why?  She has absolutely no positive attributes and don't even get me started on how ugly she is.  I can't believe this is the ad Chanel came up with.

• Love 2

This ThredUp commercial https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A46Y/thredup-new-looks-with-like-new-clothes features two people I can't stand.

The first is the woman who wouldn't buy those shoes "in real life."  It is real life, lady.  You bought those shoes.  (Unless the commercial is trying to acknowledge that she's an actor.)

The second is the woman with the Gap sweater.  Before saying 10.99, she clearly was about to say "three" or "thirty" or "thirteen" or something.  It's annoying, and they should have done another take.

(I don't believe that these are actual people blogging about their stupid ThredUp purchases, because they would have bragged that they were "real" people.)

• Love 2
2 hours ago, missmansfield said:

It seems like everyone hates the Gabrielle Chanek perfume ad as much as I do.  I actually bought the perfume when it came out and then I saw this commercial.  WTF?  Kristen Stewart? Why?  She has absolutely no positive attributes and don't even get me started on how ugly she is.  I can't believe this is the ad Chanel came up with.

It's like some weird attempt at a women's empowerment commercial gone terribly terribly wrong.

• Love 2

Has there ever been a perfume/cologne ad that wasn't completely obnoxious?  Okay, the answer is almost certainly yes, but if I change the question to whether there has been one that's enjoyable, the list just as certainly shrinks dramatically.  We don't yet have Smell-O-Vision, so there's no way to accurately advertise a fragrance on its merits; instead, commercials have long been based on dramatic plots and/or celebrity endorsements (from Axe to White Diamonds to the various designer fragrances).  Why those storylines are almost always so obnoxious and if the commercials influence those sniffing their way through a department store's fragrance counter is a yet-unanswered question.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I know mileage varies when it comes to Julia Roberts and Charlize Theron (and other celebs used in perfume commercials), but does anybody like Kristen Stewart?

SNL reran her hosting gig last night and it made me dislike her less.  I guess that counts.  It was a pretty funny show.

My favorite perfume commercial was the Chanel one from a million years ago where the plane flies over the pool (at least I think it was a pool) and we see the shadow.  And I only like it because every time I'm at a Mets game (which, thankfully, isn't often), the planes from Laguardia fly over the stadium and all I can think of is that commercial. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, janie jones said:

This ThredUp commercial https://www.ispot.tv/ad/A46Y/thredup-new-looks-with-like-new-clothes features two people I can't stand.

The first is the woman who wouldn't buy those shoes "in real life."  It is real life, lady.  You bought those shoes.  (Unless the commercial is trying to acknowledge that she's an actor.)

The second is the woman with the Gap sweater.  Before saying 10.99, she clearly was about to say "three" or "thirty" or "thirteen" or something.  It's annoying, and they should have done another take.

(I don't believe that these are actual people blogging about their stupid ThredUp purchases, because they would have bragged that they were "real" people.)

That Gap sweater is fugly and I wouldn't pay ten cents for it.

• Love 1
5 hours ago, ebk57 said:

SNL reran her hosting gig last night and it made me dislike her less.  I guess that counts.  It was a pretty funny show.

My favorite perfume commercial was the Chanel one from a million years ago where the plane flies over the pool (at least I think it was a pool) and we see the shadow.  And I only like it because every time I'm at a Mets game (which, thankfully, isn't often), the planes from Laguardia fly over the stadium and all I can think of is that commercial. 

I'm sure that's what Chanel was going for: the smell of LaGuardia and baseball.

• Love 11
18 hours ago, missmansfield said:

It seems like everyone hates the Gabrielle Chanel perfume ad as much as I do.  I actually bought the perfume when it came out and then I saw this commercial.  WTF?  Kristen Stewart? Why?  She has absolutely no positive attributes and don't even get me started on how ugly she is.  I can't believe this is the ad Chanel came up with.

On 9/9/2017 at 6:35 PM, missmansfield said:

On 9/9/2017 at 9:23 PM, Jaded said:

It's like some weird attempt at a women's empowerment commercial gone terribly terribly wrong.

I guess they feel like teh millennialz love her? 

Wah. Why didn't luxury brands pander to MY generation? The best we got was the wannabe Christian Slater in the Subaru ad. "It's like punk. Except it's cars."

Crap. Just realized...  I own an Impreza. So I guess it worked on me, 20 years later?

Edited by ivygirl
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, seasons said:

This. This makes me stabby. Everything about it. Especially that incredibly irritating music. 

I actually like this ad.  It has a sense of humor, and, considering Ronaldo is probably one of the top ten most recognizable athletes n the world, I think it will be successful. 

• Love 2
On ‎9‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 1:03 PM, ebk57 said:

I do like her kinda. Her SNL was enjoyable- especially the Totinos commercial-but she is so blank in this perfume add 

• Love 1

The one that bothers me is the McDonald's commercial about the kid getting into college. All the commentary about McDonald's not just being a first job, but a job for people less fortunate than ad execs, and the consequences for how the country thinks about minimum wage, I just keep thinking "What if he didn't get in?"

You can't just snatch it out of his hand that way...

Sorry if this was mentioned. I just found this thread.

• Love 4

These commercials don't enrage me, but boy, do they freakin' irritate me! I'm speaking of all those commercials about fandangled hair removers--whether it be the No!No! or the latest, some battery operated tube thingie you can put in your purse, and just whip out and move across your face, lip area, neck, as if you're smoothing on lotion. Like it's painless. Which is bullshit. Yes, waxing hurts. But it's like ripping off a band-aid, and you only feel the "sting" for a brief second or two. If you've got someone who knows what she's doing. And tweezing is not the torture these commercials make it out to be.

And these laser-like, epilators, and light whatevers, aren't painless, either. I know the epilady I use on my legs, I have to close my eyes and clench my teeth, because it's like multiple tweezers pulling out the hairs. Especially on my thighs. The closer the skin is to the bone, the less painful it is for me.

So these manufacturers and celebrities that hawk this stuff, need to STFU.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

These commercials don't enrage me, but boy, do they freakin' irritate me! I'm speaking of all those commercials about fandangled hair removers--whether it be the No!No! or the latest, some battery operated tube thingie you can put in your purse, and just whip out and move across your face, lip area, neck, as if you're smoothing on lotion. Like it's painless. Which is bullshit. Yes, waxing hurts. But it's like ripping off a band-aid, and you only feel the "sting" for a brief second or two. If you've got someone who knows what she's doing. And tweezing is not the torture these commercials make it out to be.

And these laser-like, epilators, and light whatevers, aren't painless, either. I know the epilady I use on my legs, I have to close my eyes and clench my teeth, because it's like multiple tweezers pulling out the hairs. Especially on my thighs. The closer the skin is to the bone, the less painful it is for me.

So these manufacturers and celebrities that hawk this stuff, need to STFU.

My Epilady gave me ingrown hairs all over my legs. I couldn't wear a skirt or shorts for two years. Never again.

• Love 4