Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

That reminds me; why is the "we drink it" Snot STILL shilling for that company?  She is a very negative spokesman; who likes a stuck-up snob mocking what everyone else in the country does?  FGS, it is just APPLE JUICE.  Not the Nectar of the Gods.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, ennui said:

It's the faux sincerity that annoys me. She should be reading stories to children at the library. 

That's kinda what I meant too regarding the tone of her voice. It sounds anything but sincere.

22 hours ago, Brattinella said:

That reminds me; why is the "we drink it" Snot STILL shilling for that company?  She is a very negative spokesman; who likes a stuck-up snob mocking what everyone else in the country does?  FGS, it is just APPLE JUICE.  Not the Nectar of the Gods.

Big time. 

Another asshole spokesperson is the Bada Book hotel guy. He's so smug and dismissive of his coworkers. I seriously do not understand why anyone thought a white guy with a Mad Men haircut in a suit being an SOB is a good look to represent a company. In my strong opinion, of course!

• Love 4
On 8/24/2017 at 1:36 PM, cynicat said:

The JG Wentworth ads make me nostalgic for this guy:

Eric Violette! I loved him, the funny part is that he doesn't (didn't) even speak much English.  I miss those commercials so much. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 1
On 8/23/2017 at 4:14 PM, ennui said:

Cars are expensive, and yes, people do obsess about whether the interior looks expensive.  If you've ever read car reviews in auto magazines, they often criticize expensive cars for having cheap interiors. 

I want to see this commercial so that I can poke fun of people who can drive a car and not know what it is. But that's fairly common, as well. 

I think (I hope) this is a link to the commercial:

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/w1HQ/mazda-drivers-choice-event-driving-matters-2017-premium-sedans

Believe me, if I were buying an expensive car ~ or any car ~ I wouldn't want the interior to look tacky or shabby!  But there's just something about the way this guy says it that sounds extremely affected.  If he had said, "It's really well-made, inside and out," I wouldn't even have noticed.

You guys made me do it! I was at Walmart the other day, I was looking for canned peaches in heavy syrup, that's my preference, it's what I grew up with and I don't give a rat's ass how unhealthy it is. But there was a Walmart employee on one of those metal ladder/shelf things and she was blocking that part of the canned peaches display. We chatted for a minute, she said she could move and I said it wasn't necessary, if she just stayed there, I could reach around her safely and get what I needed. But I told her specifically I was looking for peaches in heavy syrup no matter what that woman in the ad says! We laughed. I found the peaches I wanted and we went on with life. I will buy peaches in light syrup if I can't find the heavy syrup ones, but I refuse to buy the ones in juice.

• Love 7

Just saw an ad for the Cobra Coil cell phone holder. "Are you tired of holding your cell phone and talking at the same time?" Cheese and crackers, how frickin' lazy are we now that it's a burden to hold  a modern cell phone?

• Love 8

I don't think I've seen a woman doing the beachbody ads, but the man who assumes that everyone knows who he is annoys the crap out of me. I don't watch infomercials, the whole idea that infomercials exist annoys the crap out of me. Or maybe that it's just past 6 am and I'm awake and on the computer waiting for the dog to come back in the house so I can go back to sleep on my birthday that annoys the crap out of me. I'm giving him about 15 more minutes outside, then he has to come back in. 

Nope, doesn't change anything, infomercials are annoying.

• Love 4
9 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Just saw an ad for the Cobra Coil cell phone holder. "Are you tired of holding your cell phone and talking at the same time?" Cheese and crackers, how frickin' lazy are we now that it's a burden to hold  a modern cell phone?

Here's a hint for those folks: the "speaker" button.

• Love 5

Peaches, I always wanted opals, I think they are beautiful, but I chose this name back in ancient days of the internet, my brother was setting up an email account for me and I had to pick something quick. I still have that email!

Bilgistic, I was typing at the same time, and it's funny I don't particularly care for peridots in anything other than gold, but I saw an ad the other day for some in sterling and they were gorgeous.

Thank you all so very much for the birthday wishes!

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 2

I'm peridot, too.  I always though it was cool because it's fairly unique and you pretty much never see annoying commercials advertising it.

My wife got diamond, which is lame.

Edited by Joe Blow
  • Love 1
24 minutes ago, Joe Blow said:

I'm peridot, too.  I always though it was cool because it's fairly unique and you pretty much never see annoying commercials advertising it.

My wife got diamond, which is lame.

Hey, I'm diamond. Ares people are anything but lame. ;)

• Love 1

A couple of commercials have me scratching my head trying to figure them out:

Some car with a family in it that auto stops at a light. A kid in the back seat is sipping a drink and after the car stops, the family all looks at him and starts laughing. No clue what that is all about. 

The laborer who takes the bus to work everyday and is bumped and deals with crowded public tranportation and later is seen driving a pick up truck. I thought the guy was unable to afford a car and had to take the bus to work but it's a insurance commercial so I don't get that either. 

If I see that Best Buy college dude that spits out donut pieces while saying "Neeeeedy!" again, I am seriously going to go berserk.

• Love 1
39 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Hey, I'm diamond. Ares people are anything but lame. ;)

I don't know, diamond just seems like it would be an unfun birthstone..=)  August apparently has 3, which I now learned today.

• Love 2
1 minute ago, Joe Blow said:

I don't know, diamond just seems like it would be an unfun birthstone..=)  August apparently has 3, which I now learned today.

A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But diamonds are a girl's best friend
A kiss may be grand but it won't pay the rental
On your humble flat or help you at the automat

Men grow cold 
As girls grow old
And we all lose our charms in the end

But square-cut or pear-shaped
These rocks don't lose their shape
Diamonds are a girl's best friend

• Love 5
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

A kiss on the hand may be quite continental
But diamonds are a girl's best friend
A kiss may be grand but it won't pay the rental
On your humble flat or help you at the automat

Men grow cold 
As girls grow old
And we all lose our charms in the end

But square-cut or pear-shaped
These rocks don't lose their shape
Diamonds are a girl's best friend

Thank you, Marilyn Monroe (and I'm surprised that nobody has tried to co-opt her for one of those ubiquitous, annoying jewelry-store commercials -- just to stay marginally on-topic). Amethyst here, by the way.

• Love 2
Just now, legaleagle53 said:

Thank you, Marilyn Monroe (and I'm surprised that nobody has tried to co-opt her for one of those ubiquitous, annoying jewelry-store commercials -- just to stay marginally on-topic). Amethyst here, by the way.

Ah, February. That was my mom's birthstone. What a pretty color, I would love having amethyst for a birthstone.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, configdotsys said:

The laborer who takes the bus to work everyday and is bumped and deals with crowded public tranportation and later is seen driving a pick up truck. I thought the guy was unable to afford a car and had to take the bus to work but it's a insurance commercial so I don't get that either. 

It comes from the tag line on the commercial: While other insurance companies just see a truck, we see something you’ve worked really hard for, so give it the protection it deserves.

He's been riding the bus and finally saved enough to buy the truck, so he should get a good insurance policy to cover it, given what he's been through to get it.

• Love 5
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 8:04 AM, Ohwell said:

There's this commercial where the nurse tells this kid in the hospital that she has terrible news, then she says "You. Have. BUGEYES!"  She's showing him something on the laptop and I think it has to do with Windows 10 or something.  All I know is that  I hate her, I hate the commercial, and they run the damn thing constantly.

On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:19 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, about that "you have bug eyes" commercial: even in jest and with good intentions, is it really the best idea to say, "I have bad news" to a little kid in a hospital bed?

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!  I came here to post about this horrible commercial.  It plays about 60 billion times a day.  I hate the actress, I hate her line readings, I hate the idea that this tablet let her find what she really wants to in life with is take pictures of  kids and put crap all over them, I hate the kid's OTT laugh.  It's bad news  whenever this commercial is on, and no one drawing bug eyes is going to make it better news. 

• Love 7

We've been talking about the teacher, Mr. Jackson's, Windows 10 computer commercial. It comes on when I'm streaming, which is a lot. Every. Goddamn. Commercial. Break. I can almost recite from memory the whole thing by now. He can change his line weights!

They've made a version that doesn't include his rap, which is off-putting. If I'm going to have to watch the commercial eight times an hour, at least give me something with which to sing along.

EVERYBODY! "They call it the remainder; that's the number that remains!"

• Love 7
10 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

We've been talking about the teacher, Mr. Jackson's, Windows 10 computer commercial. It comes on when I'm streaming, which is a lot. Every. Goddamn. Commercial. Break. I can almost recite from memory the whole thing by now. He can change his line weights!

They've made a version that doesn't include his rap, which is off-putting. If I'm going to have to watch the commercial eight times an hour, at least give me something with which to sing along.

Lol.You can't tell me that his students don't make fun of that ridiculous hairstyle every chance they get.

• Love 8
9 hours ago, Moose135 said:

It comes from the tag line on the commercial: While other insurance companies just see a truck, we see something you’ve worked really hard for, so give it the protection it deserves.

He's been riding the bus and finally saved enough to buy the truck, so he should get a good insurance policy to cover it, given what he's been through to get it.

Got it. Thank you.  Not sure why the meaning of that commercial just didn't click with me.

• Love 1

Happy belated birthday, friendperidot -- amethyst here, which makes me happy...though I could do without the birthday in the dead of winter, damn it! 

Haha, the diamond birthstone is making me laugh because I'm now thinking of when parents buy their little girls birthstone earrings or whatever, they've got a much bigger financial decision to make! 

• Love 3
10 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I hate that stupid-looking, stupid-acting teacher with the stupid rapping.  Ugh.

• Love 5

I can't hate on him as a teacher (well, the casting of him as a teacher). He's supposedly the "fun, cool" teacher, and I appreciate the choice of using a black man as a teacher, which I'm sure must be the most minor of the minorities in teaching.

I remember only three black male teachers in my entire life from Kindergarten through college. One of them was a driving instructor and one was a basketball coach that I assume had at least one class, but I don't recall what it was.

I had a white male teacher in third grade and loved him. He read us A Wrinkle in Time--several mesmerizing pages a day--and taught us multiplication tables. I struggle with multiplication to this day. I have an English degree.

Having the black Mr. Jackson "rap" is a little on the nose, but as a white woman, that's a cultural aspect I can't disparage, even though I'm guessing a bunch of white dudes sat around and thought they were making a brilliant commercial. I think his hair is braids twisted and pinned together atop his head, which is another cultural touchstone I can't address because I don't have the experience.

My only issue is the ad is played eleventy-billion times an hour and in every show I stream. It's also showing up online as still ads in articles I read online. It's reached saturation point.

• Love 7

I must be clear, I like the aspect of having a black, male teacher.  What I don't like is the fact that he has to be a rapping black male teacher with a stupid hairdo, so if my kid were in his class, I would not want him to emulate this particular teacher.  (And I can't "prove" it over the internet, but I'm black.)   

Aaaaand it just ran again.

• Love 7

Noe I'm thinking...I don't think I had a black, male teacher until I got to college. One was a world lit professor with the most beautiful voice and South African accent--I particularly loved when he said, "In the Catbird Seat." I think I had two more in art school.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Lol.You can't tell me that his students don't make fun of that ridiculous hairstyle every chance they get.

What's wrong with his hair?  

I hate the commercial because they show it 17177292 times a day AND he can't rap.

Edited by Neurochick
  • Love 3
7 minutes ago, Neurochick said:

I hate the commercial because they show it 17177292 times a day AND he can't rap.

Yeah that, too.  He sounds like what Jerry Lewis (RIP) would have sounded like if he had been a rapper.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I hate that stupid-looking, stupid-acting teacher with the stupid rapping.  Ugh.

If he had been teaching one of my math classes when I was in grade school, I'm pretty sure I would have failed math that year. I always had trouble in classes where I couldn't take the teacher seriously. (I nearly failed kindergarten for that exact reason.)

• Love 3

We call him Eric Badon't.  And using a word to define itself seems like kind of iffy educational strategy.

Staples has a commercial here for school supplies. It's bland and harmless until the kid's sign says "Harvey for Class President" Obviously unintentional, but maybe shelf this one for now

• Love 3

I don't mind the orange skirt twirling in the ThredUp ads, it's the one spokesmodel who keeps talking about Britta, and I keep wondering why she's talking about a water filtering thing, then I realize she's saying Thredup. As for the person wearing the orange skirt, I think they need a slip.

• Love 1