Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I am SO sick of obnoxious music on commercials!  I leap for the remote every commercial break.  K Mart is a huge PITA right now with their "Doop-doop Doo-Yoo" nonsense.  Seriously, I will NOT shop at your stores or buy anything from you if you violate my ears this way!!

• Love 2

there are so many ads talked about on here that I've never seen! Kind of makes me glad I don't watch any major network programming any more! And I don't have satellite or cable, so I miss out a lot on those channels too.  Maybe just having the cheap antenna channels isn't such a bad thing. Except there are really bad commercials on those channels.

• Love 3

Snarking about the ads is part of the fun.

Your post reminded me of an article I read recently which pointed out that some Millennials' brains are severely boggled when they're told that they can get TV programming for free with a thing called an antenna. Internet, cable, and satellite dish are all they know.

• Love 2

There's this commercial where the nurse tells this kid in the hospital that she has terrible news, then she says "You. Have. BUGEYES!"  She's showing him something on the laptop and I think it has to do with Windows 10 or something.  All I know is that  I hate her, I hate the commercial, and they run the damn thing constantly.

Edited by Ohwell
  • Love 12
On 8/18/2017 at 5:30 PM, Brattinella said:

There is another commercial that is referring to "peen" in the bladder or urethra (from an infection or whatever).  More than once they say "you may feel peen in the bladder".  Really??

I have to say, this made me laugh out loud.

• Love 2
6 hours ago, Ohwell said:

There's this commercial where the nurse tells this kid in the hospital that she has terrible news, then she says "You. Have. BUGEYES!"  She's showing him something on the laptop and I think it has to do with Windows 10 or something.  All I know is that  I hate her, I hate the commercial, and they run the damn thing constantly.

Hahahhaa, I was just about to mention this. Are you also doing boring shit around the house with The Walking Dead marathon on in the background?

• Love 2
6 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Hahahhaa, I was just about to mention this. Are you also doing boring shit around the house with The Walking Dead marathon on in the background?

Yes!

I also suffered through that same commercial when they did the Breaking Bad marathon.

Edited by Ohwell
Forgot to add something
  • Love 3
14 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, about that "you have bug eyes" commercial: even in jest and with good intentions, is it really the best idea to say, "I have bad news" to a little kid in a hospital bed?

YES. That commercial is HORRIBLE.

• Love 8
14 hours ago, Sandman87 said:

Snarking about the ads is part of the fun.

Your post reminded me of an article I read recently which pointed out that some Millennials' brains are severely boggled when they're told that they can get TV programming for free with a thing called an antenna. Internet, cable, and satellite dish are all they know.

Depends on where you live. I've lived where the only channels that were free were ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX and one PBS station. And about 652387966 Mexican stations. And the only ones that came in decent were the Mexican ones. Basically, you had no TV without cable or satellite or internet. 

• Love 3
On Friday, August 18, 2017 at 3:30 PM, Brattinella said:

There is another commercial that is referring to "peen" in the bladder or urethra (from an infection or whatever).  More than once they say "you may feel peen in the bladder".  Really??

If you feel peen in the bladder, you're doing it wrong.

• Love 13
33 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

Depends on where you live. I've lived where the only channels that were free were ABC, CBS, NBC, and FOX and one PBS station. And about 652387966 Mexican stations. And the only ones that came in decent were the Mexican ones. Basically, you had no TV without cable or satellite or internet. 

Did you manage to learn Spanish at least? ?

• Love 3
5 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Oh, about that "you have bug eyes" commercial: even in jest and with good intentions, is it really the best idea to say, "I have bad news" to a little kid in a hospital bed?

The only possible way that works is if the kid is in the hospital so much that they've made friends with the staff, and that's a far sadder situation than the ad implies.

• Love 7
9 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

The only possible way that works is if the kid is in the hospital so much that they've made friends with the staff, and that's a far sadder situation than the ad implies.

That's the way I interpret it. That commercial is bad news.

• Love 7
On ‎8‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 0:33 AM, millennium said:

The "She Shed" commercial for Fiber One.   I suppose because I find the concept of the "man cave" so pathetic, sexist and belittling to women (because men NEED and DESERVE a refuge without women), that it seems even more degrading that a woman would seek to emulate it.   Not to mention that the "She Shed" is in the ATTIC.   An attic is not a shed.   A shed is in the backyard.   I don't know.  Maybe it's just me.   

The term "She Shed" just irritates me.  Always has.  I just hear some guy in my brain saying "Whenever mah woman has her monthly, I jus send her on down to that there She Shed so she can be out of mah hair and I don't have to deal with her womanly mess, and the cryin', and the moanin', and her nasty demeanor."  And yes, I know that's not what they're for, but that's what it makes me think of - that she's being sent somewhere away from the house so someone doesn't have to deal with her (not the woman in the commercial - just in general.

• Love 10

I don't have a problem with people wanting their own space in their house, but I don't know why it has to have a douchey name.

On 8/20/2017 at 5:26 AM, Sandman87 said:

Oh my god, I am a millennial, and this annoys me.  I've had more than one conversation where I ask someone about some show, and they're like, "I don't watch that.  I don't have cable" (as in, it's not on Netflix or whatever yet so they can't watch it).  So I'm like, "Neither do I.  It's called getting rabbit ears for $25."

• Love 3

The "She Shed" commercial for Fiber One.   I suppose because I find the concept of the "man cave" so pathetic, sexist and belittling to women (because men NEED and DESERVE a refuge without women), that it seems even more degrading that a woman would seek to emulate it.   Not to mention that the "She Shed" is in the ATTIC.   An attic is not a shed.   A shed is in the backyard.   I don't know.  Maybe it's just me.   

No, it's not just you. The term "she shed" is ridiculous. And I hope her "she shed" has a shit pot because those Fiber One bars can be brutal to one's digestive system.

• Love 6
On 8/19/2017 at 7:14 PM, Sandman87 said:

I wonder if they realize that owls are also a symbol of misfortune and/or death in some cultures? "Use Zyzol...and die, all! Mwuhahah!"

They're also the symbol of being up all night, which makes them an odd choice for an ad saying take this if you want a good night's sleep.

3 hours ago, funky-rat said:

The term "She Shed" just irritates me.  Always has.  I just hear some guy in my brain saying "Whenever mah woman has her monthly, I jus send her on down to that there She Shed so she can be out of mah hair and I don't have to deal with her womanly mess, and the cryin', and the moanin', and her nasty demeanor."  And yes, I know that's not what they're for, but that's what it makes me think of - that she's being sent somewhere away from the house so someone doesn't have to deal with her (not the woman in the commercial - just in general.

In some cultures, girls and women are literally sent to isolated huts while menstruating, so you aren't far off.

• Love 6
32 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

In some cultures, girls and women are literally sent to isolated huts while menstruating, so you aren't far off.

Yeah, I learned about that a while back, and I wasn't going to go there, but yes, that's yet another reason this concept bothers me.

• Love 1
23 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

Did you manage to learn Spanish at least? ?

Hahaha! Some! But for the most part, they were doing too much yelling and talking too fast to make it stick in my head. Lol. So we stuck with dvds. I don't watch network TV for the most part. Except for sports and local news. 

• Love 1

There are two car commercials that make me so crazy that I had to come here to exorcise the demons.  One is the Volkswagen commercial with the red-haired twenty-something woman reliving her high-school basketball triumph at the car dealership.  All I can think is, Has your life been so empty that buying a car on sale matches the triumph of the high point of your life ~ from maybe ten years ago?  The car dealer guy seems embarrassed for her!

The other commercial is for Mazda.  Two "premium vehicle owners" drive disguised cars, and are shocked! shocked, I say, to discover that they have been driving Mazdas!  One of the drivers praises the car (before discovering how low-rent it is) by noting the "aggressive sculptural lines" (okay, he is an architect; but still, "aggressive"?!) and also says that "the stitching adds a level of refinement."  Yes, I always look for refined stitching when I buy a new car.  I know we're supposed to think that this man actually said these things, but I prefer to think that a bunch of scriptwriters sat around drinking beers and trying to think of the douchiest things someone could say about a car.

(Sigh.)  I watch too much TV.

• Love 13
9 hours ago, TeapotDiva said:

the red-haired twenty-something woman reliving her high-school basketball triumph at the car dealership.  All I can think is, Has your life been so empty that buying a car on sale matches the triumph of the high point of your life ~ from maybe ten years ago?  The car dealer guy seems embarrassed for her!

This, and the fact that she doesn't seem embarrassed for herself AT ALL.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, TeapotDiva said:

One is the Volkswagen commercial with the red-haired twenty-something woman reliving her high-school basketball triumph at the car dealership.  All I can think is, Has your life been so empty that buying a car on sale matches the triumph of the high point of your life ~ from maybe ten years ago?

Just wait until her car loan gets approved.

• Love 2

The commercial I mentioned a few pages ago about how they're using one blurb from a song and it wasn't really appropriate, but I couldn't remember what product or song it was, just started airing again.  It's "Here Comes The Hotstepper" by Ini Camoze.  It cuts off right after "Here comes the hotstepper".  And right before the song says "murderer".  Just use the instrumentals and give it up.  It's for back-to-school shoe shopping.  So inappropriate.  :/

• Love 4
14 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

Hahaha! Some! But for the most part, they were doing too much yelling and talking too fast to make it stick in my head. Lol. So we stuck with dvds. I don't watch network TV for the most part. Except for sports and local news. 

When my son was in high school, he and I used to watch this Mexican soap opera ( think it was called the crazy life) and there was a character who looked exactly like Saddam Hussien. They actually killed him off on the show.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, funky-rat said:

The commercial I mentioned a few pages ago about how they're using one blurb from a song and it wasn't really appropriate, but I couldn't remember what product or song it was, just started airing again.  It's "Here Comes The Hotstepper" by Ini Camoze.  It cuts off right after "Here comes the hotstepper".  And right before the song says "murderer".  Just use the instrumentals and give it up.  It's for back-to-school shoe shopping.  So inappropriate.  :/

Yep, that used to be one of my favorite songs to line-dance to.  Horrible lyrics, though, about gangsters and murders. 

6 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Yep, that used to be one of my favorite songs to line-dance to.  Horrible lyrics, though, about gangsters and murders. 

It's got an infectious hook, but yes, I tend to ignore the lyrics.

Just think of all the inappropriate tunes that could be licensed for back-to school sales! "Hot for Teacher", "Don't Stand So Close to Me", "The Hill"*, or "I don't like Mondays" spring to mind immediately.

* Legendary Pink Dots

• Love 3
32 minutes ago, Sandman87 said:

Just think of all the inappropriate tunes that could be licensed for back-to school sales! "Hot for Teacher", "Don't Stand So Close to Me", "The Hill"*, or "I don't like Mondays" spring to mind immediately.

* Legendary Pink Dots

*Shudders at the mere thought of somebody deciding to use "I Don't Like Mondays" in an ad*

Don't go giving the ad companies any more ideas!

• Love 2
4 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

Earlier this year somebody had a sale ad using the song clip "school's out for summer, school's out forever"; I guess they didn't pay attention to the rest of what Alice Cooper sang.

To be fair, neither did Alice's kid: 

• Love 1
On 8/21/2017 at 9:59 PM, TeapotDiva said:

also says that "the stitching adds a level of refinement."  Yes, I always look for refined stitching when I buy a new car.  

Cars are expensive, and yes, people do obsess about whether the interior looks expensive.  If you've ever read car reviews in auto magazines, they often criticize expensive cars for having cheap interiors. 

I want to see this commercial so that I can poke fun of people who can drive a car and not know what it is. But that's fairly common, as well. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Hey Capitol One.....enough of Jennifer Garner already. Gawd I'm sick of her dimpled puss.

Ugh. That one with her father where she goes on about how he tells the cs people that he's related to her or whatever drives me crazy. The exaggerated voice she uses is like nails on a chalkboard.

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

Ugh. That one with her father where she goes on about he tells the cs people that he's related to her or whatever drives me crazy. The exaggerated voice she uses is like nails on a chalkboard.

Yeah, she didn't bug me until that one.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, Jaded said:

The exaggerated voice she uses is like nails on a chalkboard.

It's the faux sincerity that annoys me. She should be reading stories to children at the library. 

• Love 9

I found this thread because of #1 on the list I am about to present. Some are here, some need to be. Here is my top 5 worst commercials:

#5 - Febreeze commercials. "I love you, but sometimes you stink". Funny the first time, blah the second, irritating the third and progressively worse since.

#4 - Hanes commercials. "Smellife". I hate selfies. Too much ego there. Smellfies are even worse.

#3 - Chobani - I don't want my food with a mouth talking to me. Please stop that.

#2- ASPCA - This has been addressed before. I change the channel every time. Wouldn't it be more productive to play something a little less heartbreaking that people would watch and want to help with instead of being so sad you can't watch it? No joke. I'm the proud parent of an adoptive abused dog and I just can't help changing these commercials. Screw ASPCA for those.

#1 - JG Wentworth. All of them. They make me want to firebomb the ad agency that thought up their commercials and then snipe the survivors coming out. And then do the same to JG itself. I hate, no HATE, those. Can't change channel fast enough.

Honorable mention: Librator Medical. The old lady with the colomoscy bag. First of all, it's not my business. Keep that between you and your doctor. Seriously. You and your doc. And the stupid "woohoo" pisses me off.

I have more. Give me time

• Love 15