Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

On 7/18/2017 at 5:26 PM, cpcathy said:

The bear who can't be on vacation because of the wrong toilet paper needs to chill--if you're really that dirty, take a shower afterwards!

In fairness, he's got a lot of fur to dry off after a shower. He could have booked a room with a bidet. Since this seems to be an ongoing problem for him, perhaps he should reconsider his diet.

• Love 9
On 7/19/2017 at 9:24 AM, HipOldBat said:

I hate the Progressive "turning into your parents" commercials, especially the woman who yells about "turning the car around" when no one is in the back seat.  That just seems psychotic.

I pretty much hate all Progressive commercials, but inexplicably I don't mind Flo.

That's the one with the girl in tube socks sleeping in the recliner. That commercial sends me from zero to 60. She smacks him on the back of the head, gives him nuggies and his glasses are hanging off. Sorry, I'd kill her if I was that guy.

• Love 3

I tape Days of Our Lives each day and will sit on Sunday morning and catch up.  Seems every other commercial is a diaper commercial - the one that is currently in heavy rotation is the "Let's get this Potty started" song.  I can't get to the remote fast enough.  The other one has some tone deaf woman squalling "we all need a hug in the morning".  Gah.  Granted I am not a kid - person, but these are beyond annoying.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, Stella Rose said:

Seems every other commercial is a diaper commercial - the one that is currently in heavy rotation is the "Let's get this Potty started" song.  I can't get to the remote fast enough.  The other one has some tone deaf woman squalling "we all need a hug in the morning".  Gah.  Granted I am not a kid - person, but these are beyond annoying.

And then there is the woman announcer who wants to make "UNDAWEAR" a real word.  Feh!

• Love 1
Just now, Brattinella said:

And then there is the woman announcer who wants to make "UNDAWEAR" a real word.  Feh!

I feel like I have finally made it - to be quoted by Brattinella!  Awesome.   (I adore your posts!)

I forgot how much I hate any commercial that screams of the delight that is QUESO!  As if it were some magical concoction brought about by the union of a cow and a unicorn.   It's cheese.  Queso is Spanish for CHEESE people.  Cheese.  Nothing more, nothing less, nothing magical than that.  My best friend is from Mexico and we gripe about this one daily.   

We've got  Fromage!  P'tooey

• Love 8
33 minutes ago, Stella Rose said:

I tape Days of Our Lives each day and will sit on Sunday morning and catch up.  Seems every other commercial is a diaper commercial - the one that is currently in heavy rotation is the "Let's get this Potty started" song.  I can't get to the remote fast enough.  The other one has some tone deaf woman squalling "we all need a hug in the morning".  Gah.  Granted I am not a kid - person, but these are beyond annoying.

Since you admitted to hating a diaper commercial I'm going to admit that I hate this one.

• Love 4
3 minutes ago, Jaded said:

Since you admitted to hating a diaper commercial I'm going to admit that I hate this one.

Yes!  That is the horrible squawky one I mentioned.  HATE!  

Admittedly, I can't sing.  period.  Even  my cat runs off if I sing.  That said, no one pays me to sing horribly in an advert.  

• Love 4
30 minutes ago, Stella Rose said:

Merciful Zeus.  This is pure brilliance.  DAMN!  Thanks for posting.

OMG!  I had no idea this man is so talented!  I also listened to his Neal Young doing "Pants on the Ground".  WOW!

3 hours ago, Stella Rose said:

This is my first time posting on this thread- I just found out it exists.  The comments are hilarious and I am happy to see other people hate these commercials as much as I do.

The diaper one with the "we all need a hug in the morning" makes me cringe.  All the great singers out there and that's what they choose??!

• Love 2
7 hours ago, Stella Rose said:

The one I hate is for Pampers Swaddlers, where the newborn cries and the nurse hands her/him off to the mother.  The baby's cry does not sound normal, like the nurse pinched him/her or something.  The mother has this frantic look about her, way over-the-top reaction to your baby crying...and she appears to be naked.  In a hospital. Ugh.

• Love 2
On 7/21/2017 at 2:04 AM, HipOldBat said:

The one I hate is for Pampers Swaddlers, where the newborn cries and the nurse hands her/him off to the mother.  The baby's cry does not sound normal, like the nurse pinched him/her or something.  The mother has this frantic look about her, way over-the-top reaction to your baby crying...and she appears to be naked.  In a hospital. Ugh.

Yeah, the look on that woman's face just makes me want to punch her every time that ad is on.

• Love 2
On 6/9/2017 at 10:18 PM, millennium said:

Jimmy's "Reading Rainbow Theme" as Jim Morrison and the Doors was sheer genius.

I had no idea he was that good, I hardly ever watch Late Night. It took a few seconds to realize that he wasn't lip syncing Morrison. 

Now onto Annoyance of the Month for me. Volvo continues to yank my chain and it's especially annoying since it is really pretty minor, I guess. I rode out the rather grim wedding/funeral commercial, then there was the Walt Whitman atrocity with the terrified fox, and now we have the Midsommar Sales Event. Do they realize that this commercial is being run in the US where we spell summer s u m m e r ? And to further tick me off they rounded up the jolly wedding/funeral folks for a quick cameo.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wqfI/volvo-midsommar-sales-event-most-awarded-luxury-suv

I don't know what the commercial is for but at some point towards the end, some stupid woman comes screaming, bursting through a paper sign saying, "I CLEARED MY INBOOOOOOX!!!" I want to shoot the television.

Saw the stupid kindergarten "I love my vacation" commercial a few minutes ago and the dates for her trip are a week in October. Since when do teachers take vacation after school begins? They should have had her frantic in the classroom in May looking forward to her July vacation or something. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

I don't know what the commercial is for but at some point towards the end, some stupid woman comes screaming, bursting through a paper sign saying, "I CLEARED MY INBOOOOOOX!!!" I want to shoot the television.

Saw the stupid kindergarten "I love my vacation" commercial a few minutes ago and the dates for her trip are a week in October. Since when do teachers take vacation after school begins? They should have had her frantic in the classroom in May looking forward to her July vacation or something. 

Wow, good catch. I will have to look at it more closely.  I'm not sure that I would want her for my kid's teacher.

(edited)

Based on her lack of classroom control, I know I would not want her for my kid's teacher, and I would be thrilled to know she'd be gone for a week and they'd have a sub.

But yeah, I always assumed she couldn't wait for school to end to get going on that vacation. Odd.

Edited by Broken Ox
  • Love 3

The more I see the car ad where the teenagers have just been in an accident and are calling their parents all teary-voiced, the more odd it seems. I've been in accidents. Quietly apologetic is not the first reaction, it's shocky post-adrenaline jitters. It takes a while for that to work its way down to quiet anything. Those kids are obviously immediately post-impact, they should sound hyper. Unless someone got hurt, and I don't think it's going there.

• Love 2

I posted the Huggies and Pampers commercials that others had already commented on. Here's one that keeps airing on the local Antenna TV affiliate that's worse then the previous two mentioned.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Jamoche said:

The more I see the car ad where the teenagers have just been in an accident and are calling their parents all teary-voiced, the more odd it seems. I've been in accidents. Quietly apologetic is not the first reaction, it's shocky post-adrenaline jitters. It takes a while for that to work its way down to quiet anything. Those kids are obviously immediately post-impact, they should sound hyper. Unless someone got hurt, and I don't think it's going there.

I totally agree with you. I don't understand that commercial. One of the people calls their parents and says, "I have something to tell you." Now I don't know about you but the dramatic way that is said and the pause, would give me a heart attack. I'd think the kid got pulled over for DUI or was in jail or something. I think it's very poorly done.

• Love 5
On 7/21/2017 at 2:04 AM, HipOldBat said:

I was kind of under the impression that the woman in that ad had just given birth to the kid, but I could always be wrong.

• Love 8
On July 19, 2017 at 9:24 AM, HipOldBat said:

I hate the Progressive "turning into your parents" commercials, especially the woman who yells about "turning the car around" when no one is in the back seat.  That just seems psychotic.

I pretty much hate all Progressive commercials, but inexplicably I don't mind Flo.

We're opposites...I love the former...she sounds just like my dad did...but I detest all Flo commercials...especially the ones in which she plays every member of her family

• Love 1
On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 11:17 PM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

This commercial is insanely stupid:

No one acts like that, Toyota!

Oh gawd, how I hate that "pokerface" ad with the spastic man flailing his arms around. I noticed there's a new one with a senseless Cinderella story.

• Love 5
On 7/22/2017 at 1:51 PM, SoSueMe said:

Wow, good catch. I will have to look at it more closely.  I'm not sure that I would want her for my kid's teacher.

Finally saw the commercial again and was able to pause:

booking.jpeg

• Love 2
5 hours ago, configdotsys said:

Finally saw the commercial again and was able to pause:

booking.jpeg

Those dates for Sundays don't match up with any real calendar dates in the past few years, but there are a number of Jewish holidays around that time - depending on the year, Rosh Hashanna, Yom Kippur, and others.  Depending on the school, they may be closed that week.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, Moose135 said:

Those dates for Sundays don't match up with any real calendar dates in the past few years, but there are a number of Jewish holidays around that time - depending on the year, Rosh Hashanna, Yom Kippur, and others.  Depending on the school, they may be closed that week.

The one with the guy in the golf cart has the same dates as the teacher so it doesn't appear they looked at a school calendar. 

People singing in their cars just look like asses to me and is such a tired idea for a commercial. Couple that with a sing along song that's overused and we have a new Hyundai commercial with two cars at a stoplight with the people screaming Sweet Caroline. I can't get the remote fast enough to mute it. 

• Love 5

I want her chaise, not in the animal print, but I love the shape of it. I've been fantasy shopping for furniture for if I ever get out of the hell I am exiled in right now and if I ever get enough money to do what I want. So I've been looking for a fantasy chaise, I've seen a lot of styles and I've only found that one in one place, actually a local furniture place, but it only comes in tans/browns, I want it very girly in fuchsia, or may turquoise. I'm also shopping for a purple, mid century modern sofa. I don't need suggestions on where to shop, I think I've pretty much covered the spectrum and part of the fun of fantasy shopping is discovering places on your own.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I want her chaise, not in the animal print, but I love the shape of it. I've been fantasy shopping for furniture for if I ever get out of the hell I am exiled in right now and if I ever get enough money to do what I want. So I've been looking for a fantasy chaise, I've seen a lot of styles and I've only found that one in one place, actually a local furniture place, but it only comes in tans/browns, I want it very girly in fuchsia, or may turquoise. I'm also shopping for a purple, mid century modern sofa. I don't need suggestions on where to shop, I think I've pretty much covered the spectrum and part of the fun of fantasy shopping is discovering places on your own.

I guess that's why we're so into dolls. I can get the most beautiful fantasy furniture for just a few dollars.

• Love 3

Silver raven, I still want it pink or turquoise, I'm not a neutrals kind of person. My fantasy living room will have a purple sofa, a turquoise chair and ottoman and a fuchsia chaise, then tons of other colors in accessories, I love the crayon box look. The only neutrals will be in the color of the wooden furniture.

• Love 5
On ‎7‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 0:45 PM, Jamoche said:

I assume the kids are regularly beaten at home.  Their first concern is telling their parents they wrecked the car in a way that won't result in the parents going into a psychotic rage.  It's a learned behavior from years of trying to deescalate family situations.  Just me?

• Love 17

So those people at the retirement seminar paid good money to be given a Mutual of Omaha sales pitch? Why do people even have funerals? Jebus, if it's sooo expensive people are fearing that the won't have enough money for retirement but they're going to spend thousands of dollars, for what? Flowers and a casket for a dead person. What a tremendous waste of resources.  When I buy it, just throw me in the lake. Dog knows I ate enough crawdads as kid, let me return the favor.

• Love 12
(edited)
On 7/25/2017 at 0:24 PM, Silver Raven said:

OK, I think it's silly that the woman has her "she shed" where she goes to indulge in Fiber One bars, but apparently she locks her cat away in that room and doesn't let him have the run of the house?  That's cruel.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wtor/fiber-one-90-calorie-brownies-she-shed-full-tour

The "she shed" is the attic, so I imagine the cat gets out to the rest of the house.

About the Booking.com ads, I do like that they show people going on vacation alone, and enjoying it.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 5

Peaches, I think we're enough the same person I can call you Peaches, lol. But I hate that Mutual of Omaha ad! I hate all of the burial insurance commercials, no matter who they're for, but I especially hate that one! I have such a dislike of fake newscasts (some Laser Vision place), fake infomercials (those 2 harridans screeching about the wrinkle stuff), and then there's fake seminars! Ugh! And since I watch so many of the cheap channels, Escape, H&I and MeTV, I get tons of those kind of ads, I guess they're cheap to make and it shows.

• Love 4

@friendperidot, I am so with you on those "final-expense insurance" commercials. When I lost my husband unexpectedly in 2005(when he was almost 42 and I was 38, too young to qualify for most of those plans), we had no life insurance, and I had to apply to Social Services for help.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, smittykins said:

@friendperidot, I am so with you on those "final-expense insurance" commercials. When I lost my husband unexpectedly in 2005(when he was almost 42 and I was 38, too young to qualify for most of those plans), we had no life insurance, and I had to apply to Social Services for help.

That sucks. I'm so sorry.

• Love 3