Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, mojoween said:

If someone slapped me in the face with a Twizzler, I would take a flamethrower to their house.  It would NOT make me smile.

The commercial in which the actors are in Brady Bunch-style boxes on the screen and Twizzlers are inched on screen and poked at their faces just looks sexual to me.

• Love 6
18 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

The commercial in which the actors are in Brady Bunch-style boxes on the screen and Twizzlers are inched on screen and poked at their faces just looks sexual to me.

I don't know if it's a Twizzlers commercial but there is on where there's this creepy looking muppet thing with apparently Twizzlers for hair. Just no.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

I don't know if it's a Twizzlers commercial but there is on where there's this creepy looking muppet thing with apparently Twizzlers for hair. Just no.

That's AM/PM gas station markets.  It's disgusting.

• Love 3

The New York State Lottery is running a series of ads for one of their games. This one baffles me.

Dad wins a thousand dollars a day and decides that he wants to spend his time building a fort for his kids without his kids? Quite the dad.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, smittykins said:

Thanks, @peacheslatour.  Yesterday would've been our 20th anniversary.

Sorry for your loss. I'm at 18 months after losing my husband very suddenly. Our anniversary just passed too, would have been 18 years. Again, so sorry.

36 minutes ago, xaxat said:

The New York State Lottery is running a series of ads for one of their games. This one baffles me.

Dad wins a thousand dollars a day and decides that he wants to spend his time building a fort for his kids without his kids? Quite the dad.

I posted about this ad a while back. Meanwhile, that stupid thing that he built in the living room had to have taken all day to build, so not only did he blow an opportunity to spend 10 hours with his kid turning the living room furniture into a plaything, but the kid never came out of his room all day and saw what was going on? Hey Dad, if you don't win the lottery, there's always the weekend to do those sorts of things too. Totally baffling. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

But the owl is Norm MacDonald!  I love it!

The owl isn't Norm MacDonald.  According to the link above, it's some guy named Chris Fries.

I don't like the girl but I don't have a problem with the owl.

• Love 1
19 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Yeah, Chris Fries is the voiceover in THAT commercial,  but there is another owl one in the playground with Norm AND Chris Fries.  :P

Ha. I have no idea who that is but the voice is as irritating as that group of Colonels that KFC threw at us last year. Hated every one of them except George Hamilton. I have a thing with voices. They can make me crazy. A great example are those people with kid voices in the Haribo commercial. I fear for my television's safety when that commercial comes on. Not sure if it's in the rotation much anymore but I have shows DVR'd that I put on while cleaning and stuff and get a taste of many older commercial that I hate.

• Love 6
22 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Ah, George Hamilton!  He is still yummy as hell, IMO. *sigh*

A silver fox, he is.  I still have an autographed photo I got from him about 25 years ago.  

• Love 3
On 7/27/2017 at 1:34 PM, Silver Raven said:

This commercial is annoying enough, but they run it every freaking commercial break during daytime tv.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wqcC/americas-best-cxl-sales-event-sensitive-hearing

I don't get the idea of a person shopping running into an owl perched outside an eyeglasses store. I mean, that's only happened to me maybe twice in my life! (I jest!) This commercial sucks especially when she (the human) says "Gaaaah! 

• Love 4

When I see a commercial that has disturbing or disgusting scene in it I am unable to get it out of mind, have trouble eating/sleeping. The ASPCA ads (I give money to shelters and all my dogs are rescues) but I will pay big money to stop those commercials.  Also I get grossed out at the ped egg and foot sander YUCK but today there was a commercial (don't remember name) but it was another acne product. They showed popping a zit and then wiping away the pus....Eww, eww eww. It's been about 5 hours and still can't get it out of my head!!!

• Love 11

If you can   figure out a way  to stop those ASAPCA ads let me know. I will be glad to toss in some money . I do not pay that much attention  to comercials but I will hurt  my self  trying to get out of the room to avoid  them.

• Love 8
13 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

One of the stupid Wayfair ladies has my table & chairs!

There have been times when a Google shopping search has turned up a Wayfair product that's almost exactly what I want, and I remember the ads and move on.

• Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, Poohbear617 said:

When I see a commercial that has disturbing or disgusting scene in it I am unable to get it out of mind, have trouble eating/sleeping. The ASPCA ads (I give money to shelters and all my dogs are rescues) but I will pay big money to stop those commercials.  

That is a brilliant idea!  "Send us enough money and we'll stop upsetting you with our ads!"

Both my cats were rescued from a sadistic monster right after they were born, and as I am on disability I really struggle to support them.  I would LOVE to give monthly to a shelter but I can't.  So those ads not only upset me, they make me feel guilty as well.  I would save pennies to pay them to get them to stop.

And then there's the "why are you filming this animal suffering when you should put down the camera and save him?" thing.  I know, it's irrational but that's always my reaction.

Edited by HipOldBat
wrote "cars" instead of "cats"
  • Love 14

When I was on my Road Trip last month, I was in Parkersburg, WV and I took the sternwheeler ride to Blennerhassett Island. It's a 20 minute ride. On the boat, I saw a woman wearing a Seymour Butt necklace. I had to make quite an effort not to laugh at her.  Naturally, I thought of all of us at PTV.  And then I went outside to stand at the rail and I laughed into the wind.

• Love 21
On 7/29/2017 at 5:44 PM, Poohbear617 said:

When I see a commercial that has disturbing or disgusting scene in it I am unable to get it out of mind, have trouble eating/sleeping. The ASPCA ads (I give money to shelters and all my dogs are rescues) but I will pay big money to stop those commercials.  Also I get grossed out at the ped egg and foot sander YUCK but today there was a commercial (don't remember name) but it was another acne product. They showed popping a zit and then wiping away the pus....Eww, eww eww. It's been about 5 hours and still can't get it out of my head!!!

We are twins. Those images stay with me for such a long time and affect my eating and sleeping as well. There have been a couple of stories in the news lately that I cannot shake. I really hope that there is some kind of karmic retribution for these inhuman savages that are cruel to animals. 

• Love 6
1 minute ago, configdotsys said:

I really hope that there is some kind of karmic retribution for these inhuman savages that are cruel to animals. 

Because TPTB hardly ever hold them to any severe level of responsibility for their heinous acts.

• Love 5
(edited)
On 7/27/2017 at 2:15 PM, mojoween said:

If someone slapped me in the face with a Twizzler, I would take a flamethrower to their house.  It would NOT make me smile.

That ad reminds of those times in childhood and teens when obnoxious relatives and/or peers would deliberately say or do something upsetting and then, the instant I frowned would try the 'you're not REALLY mad. I'm just teasing and I'll make you laugh at yourself for being such a grump' deal to the amusement of other relatives and peers. Nope. I'm STILL calling you out!

P.S. And I HATE Twizzlers!

Edited by Blergh
addendum
  • Love 7
On 7/30/2017 at 8:10 AM, HipOldBat said:

And then there's the "why are you filming this animal suffering when you should put down the camera and save him?" thing.  I know, it's irrational but that's always my reaction.

There's an ad featuring a little short-haired dog sitting in the snow shivering where it's pretty obvious that they're the ones who put him there to be filmed. I guess a clip of a big shaggy dog laying comfortably in its house with snow on the surrounding yard wasn't compelling enough.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

That ad reminds of those times in childhood and teens when obnoxious relatives and/or peers would deliberately say or do something upsetting and then, the instant I frowned would try the 'you're not REALLY mad. I'm just teasing and I'll make you laugh at yourself for being such a grump' deal to the amusement of other relatives and peers. Nope. I'm STILL calling you out!

P.S. And I HATE Twizzlers!

Ah yes, the famous Schrodinger's Douche Bag.

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Regarding punishment for animal abusers: A 19 yr sentence was just handed down for a serial cat killer in California.  I think he killed 20 neighborhood cats (pets).  Finally a real punishment!

That's good news but unbelievable! I don't even want to know about his crimes. As we all know, he will never serve all of those 19 years. But that judge who sentenced him is a hero!

• Love 8

Red Baron pizza commercial with Mom getting award for her family finishing an effin' frozen pizza. I don't have children, but my husband has a lot of grandkids. I know kids can be picky eaters, but I've never seen a single one turn down pizza in one form or another. Not a single vegetable in sight in that commercial. Ugh.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Red Baron pizza commercial with Mom getting award for her family finishing an effin' frozen pizza. I don't have children, but my husband has a lot of grandkids. I know kids can be picky eaters, but I've never seen a single one turn down pizza in one form or another. Not a single vegetable in sight in that commercial. Ugh.

I hate those ads.  They make it look like women like "The Baroness" only have value when they have kids and families.

• Love 5

Toyota's "Enjoy the Go!" ad campaign had a shitty new set of ads featuring fairy tales, except they don't make a damn bit of sense! I'd put this in the "scratch my head" forum but they annoy the hell out of me more than confuse me. This one in particular involves "Rapunzel" "escaping" from her boss at work and using her hair as an impromptu zipline to join her friends and drive off into the whatever. Umm, won't her boss notice her absence and isn't she in danger of getting fired for skipping work?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/woK0/2018-toyota-c-hr-rapunzel

Edited by Ubiquitous
  • Love 3
On 7/25/2017 at 4:34 AM, configdotsys said:

People singing in their cars just look like asses to me and is such a tired idea for a commercial. Couple that with a sing along song that's overused and we have a new Hyundai commercial with two cars at a stoplight with the people screaming Sweet Caroline. I can't get the remote fast enough to mute it. 

I've seen this commercial several times. I really wish they'd left it with Neil Diamond singing; or, if the people singing along would do a nice version, instead of mocking the song. If I had to ride with the woman screeching "BOMP BOMP BOM", I'd get out of the car.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 5
Just now, ennui said:

I've seen this commercial several times. I really wish they'd left it with Neil Diamond singing; or, if the people singing along would do a nice version, instead of mocking the song. If I had to ride with the woman screeching "BOMP BOMP BOM", I'd get out of the car.

I do that every time I hear the song.  And it's a staple in Karaoke events and everybody sings that.  And it's the go-to song at Boston Red Sox games and everybody sings along to that part.

• Love 13

I feel like the commercial should bug me, because to the extent there's any sort of objective measure for such things, it qualifies as annoying, but because Sweet Caroline is one of those songs I find it impossible to resist singing along to, and in the cheesiest way possible, I instead find it funny.  (Plus, the "So good!  So good!" reminds me of parties at Howl at the Moon, and those were fun times.)

• Love 15
On 7/31/2017 at 7:04 PM, chenoa333 said:

That's good news but unbelievable! I don't even want to know about his crimes. As we all know, he will never serve all of those 19 years. But that judge who sentenced him is a hero!

I just looked it up in the Mercury News.  His (solid) parole date is 2030.  Some horrible details available in that story, btw.  At least he has to do SOME time!

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

I feel like the commercial should bug me, because to the extent there's any sort of objective measure for such things, it qualifies as annoying, but because Sweet Caroline is one of those songs I find it impossible to resist singing along to, and in the cheesiest way possible, I instead find it funny.  (Plus, the "So good!  So good!" reminds me of parties at Howl at the Moon, and those were fun times.)

I like it because of the woman's smirk just before she joins in. She looks like the impulsive, fun, "What the hell -- I'm goin' for it" type I always wanted to be.

• Love 3
On 7/31/2017 at 1:30 PM, LoneHaranguer said:

There's an ad featuring a little short-haired dog sitting in the snow shivering where it's pretty obvious that they're the ones who put him there to be filmed. I guess a clip of a big shaggy dog laying comfortably in its house with snow on the surrounding yard wasn't compelling enough.

I think that's what they should show in the commercials--success stories! For one thing, maybe fewer softhearted people would rush to change the channel (or cry!) and instead would maybe be inspired to help, as opposed to possibly be left thinking that the problem is insurmountable. Show us a difference is being made, not just to justify donations but also to not cause emotional fatigue. 

I do that every time I hear the song.  And it's a staple in Karaoke events and everybody sings that.  And it's the go-to song at Boston Red Sox games and everybody sings along to that part.

I understand the urge to do the "bomp bomp bomp" part but the "so good, so good, so good" part can suck it. (Also, I just saw Neil last month. I love him but, man, that guy is a pricy ticket!)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 5

Whenever I hear "Sweet Caroline", I think of that dumb show "Caroline in the City", which starred Lea Thompson as a greeting card designer. She was so popular in the show universe that there was going to be a line of merchandise, which included cookies, to be called...Sweet Carolines.

ETA: Wikipedia tells me she was a cartoonist.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Whenever I hear "Sweet Caroline", I think of that dumb show "Caroline in the City", which starred Lea Thompson as a greeting card designer. She was so popular in the show universe that there was going to be a line of merchandise, which included cookies, to be called...Sweet Carolines.

ETA: Wikipedia tells me she was a cartoonist.

I always think of this one scene from Caroline in the City with some publicist-type person played by Vicki Lewis singing "Sweet Caroline" to spark Caroline's interest in licensing the character or whatever.

Edited by janie jones

The new commercials for Arby's uses background music that obviously no one researched.  The song is entitled Time To Say Goodbye, and is a farewell to a loved one who's died.  Poor music choice to advertise a new sandwich. 

I know this commercial has been around for a while, but there's one for some prescription medicine where a mother is laying face down on a beach, and her not so young son is laying on top of her, with his head nearly on her ass.  That boy is way too old to be laying on top of his mom. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

I know this commercial has been around for a while, but there's one for some prescription medicine where a mother is laying face down on a beach, and her not so young son is laying on top of her, with his head nearly on her ass.  That boy is way too old to be laying on top of his mom. 

Yes.. I totally agree!  Inappropriate! I will say however, that the woman they got for the mom is a normal sized woman and not  size 2.

• Love 2

The iPhone 7 commercial with the horrible babysitter is a wrong turn on a cute concept. I liked the one with the little girl and the lemonade stand who had all sorts of hidden taxes and fees. That was fine, because the prospective customer was able to simply walk away. But the baby sitter who wants to charge extra for all the hidden fees has already done her job, and badly (the baby is lying in a pizza box, the little girl is cutting the dog's hair). Plus she went through the home-owner's things and is wearing the lady's shoes, then has the audacity to say "Yeah, we're the same size . . . in shoes." The last thing we see is her walking away happily, presumably having been paid the fee she requested.

Here's how that should have ended: with her walking out of the house with a big red handprint right across her snotty face. Now, I don't normally advocate for violence, but after snotting off to that woman about wearing the same size (but only in shoes) on top of having let the kids run amok and then expecting to be paid more than they agreed to, I don't expect her to walk out of there with the money she's asking for. 

• Love 14
12 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The new commercials for Arby's uses background music that obviously no one researched.  The song is entitled Time To Say Goodbye, and is a farewell to a loved one who's died.  Poor music choice to advertise a new sandwich. 

Maybe time to get the Iggy Awards out of mothballs.

1 hour ago, iMonrey said:

The iPhone 7 commercial with the horrible babysitter is a wrong turn on a cute concept. I liked the one with the little girl and the lemonade stand who had all sorts of hidden taxes and fees. That was fine, because the prospective customer was able to simply walk away. But the baby sitter who wants to charge extra for all the hidden fees has already done her job, and badly (the baby is lying in a pizza box, the little girl is cutting the dog's hair). Plus she went through the home-owner's things and is wearing the lady's shoes, then has the audacity to say "Yeah, we're the same size . . . in shoes." The last thing we see is her walking away happily, presumably having been paid the fee she requested.

Here's how that should have ended: with her walking out of the house with a big red handprint right across her snotty face. Now, I don't normally advocate for violence, but after snotting off to that woman about wearing the same size (but only in shoes) on top of having let the kids run amok and then expecting to be paid more than they agreed to, I don't expect her to walk out of there with the money she's asking for. 

We fired our last babysitter for less.

• Love 7