Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

New Planet Fitness ad. It begins with a CPR class in which they are compressing in unison at a rate of maybe 60 with breaths after every 5 compressions. The crushing wrongness of all of that annoys me to no end. Also the realization that if someone goes down at her Planet Fitness, there's no way they're gonna make it.

• Love 5
On 7/9/2017 at 8:36 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

What's really bizarre [is that "Unchained Melody" is] supposed to be this great love song, but it's from a prison movie!

... a movie called Unchained (hence the title...), and the song isn't even sung complete in the movie (though it was still nominated for an Academy Award). It gets a truncated rendition by the great bass Todd Duncan (the original Porgy in Gershwin's opera).

The song has had at least 3 separate surges of popularity. It did very well when it was new in 1955, with so many well-liked recordings that 3 were in the Billboard top 10 at once in the US, and 4 in the top 20 at once in the UK. Then it gradually receded a bit till the Righteous Brothers had a huge hit with it in 1965, which has remained the classic. And then of course Ghost in 1990.

• Love 3

My mother would tire easily of hearing one particular singer, so she never bought record albums. They used to issue companion "EPs" (Extended Play) along with LPs - 45s with 4 songs from the album - and she'd buy all 3 EPs & stack 'em up on the record player with another singer sandwiched in between, so she'd get variety. Just a few years ago, I finally sold all the Harry Belafonte EPs, one of which included Unchained Melody. I'd only known Harry's rendition until the Righteous Bros. came out with theirs.

Back to commercials...I saw one yesterday on CoziTV that's even worse than the Amopé foot shaver - "Black Off" - a blackhead eradicator that (and I'm gagging as I type) pulls out all the gunk from your face...AND THEY SHOW IT. They show a person squeezing a blackhead with the crap oozing out. It's a black "mask" you smear on & let dry. After the people in the ad peel it off, they show it to the camera.  We're doomed. No one has any idea about dignity and what it means to have it & keep it.

• Love 6

After the people in the ad peel it off, they show it to the camera.

Well, people who do pore strips and stuff like to examine what they get out of their faces, so maybe they're trying to appeal to the satisfaction one gets when they pull out a lot of blackhead gunk.  But I don't think a lot of those people necessarily want to see some stranger's blackhead gunk.

• Love 3
On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:04 PM, mmecorday said:

Hey, isn't the woman on the right the one who does those commercials for eyelove?.

I'm not sure. I always wondered what had become of her.

On ‎6‎/‎21‎/‎2017 at 1:31 PM, Silver Raven said:

His name is Joe Keery, he's in "Stranger Things".

Loved that show, had no idea it was him!

• Love 1

This commercial came on earlier today when I was starting to think about what I wanted for lunch. At first I thought the big bug sitting in places was a giant roach. Turns out I was wrong and disgusted enough to forget I was hungry for a couple hours.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Jaded said:

This commercial came on earlier today when I was starting to think about what I wanted for lunch. At first I thought the big bug sitting in places was a giant roach. Turns out I was wrong and disgusted enough to forget I was hungry for a couple hours.

I completely freaked out with this commercial!!  As someone with severe "roach a phobia" I actually screamed when I saw it. Ugh. 

• Love 3

The GMC Sierra commercial that asks if it's good enough to be a "decent person" or "good husband" (etc) and then responds "Of course not." No, you need to be a decent person "like a boss." I rage every. Single. Time.

• Love 14
11 minutes ago, TXCiclista said:

The GMC Sierra commercial that asks if it's good enough to be a "decent person" or "good husband" (etc) and then responds "Of course not." No, you need to be a decent person "like a boss." I rage every. Single. Time.

I am not looking forward to seeing this commercial. At all. On the flip side, I can at least turn to my husband and say, "Yeah, a whole bunch of other people hate it, too."

• Love 3

I don't know how many people here watched Breaking Bad, but Aaron Paul was a multi Emmy award winning actor on that show. And it saddens me he has no better options than doing Vitamin Water commercials now. 

• Love 4
5 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

And it saddens me he has no better options than doing Vitamin Water commercials now. 

No better options? Something like this can finance his next five years. Nothing has a better payment-to-effort ratio than starring in a commercial.

• Love 6
18 hours ago, scarletine said:

I don't recall seeing this commercial mentioned out here, but every time I see it, I want to slap this condescending bitch into next week.

... "It's made from plants! Fruit!" Um, sweetheart, so's sugar.

• Love 5
On 7/7/2017 at 9:52 PM, friendperidot said:

Did you know that there's a testosterone crisis in America? Eagle 2020 at GNC wants to give every man in America a free sample! I am female, so I'm not going to have a testosterone crisis, but I have a male friend who is over the age of 60 and he was telling me about a problem he had with taking a testosterone supplement, I confess, I was only half listening so I don't remember what the problem was, lol. But maybe there's a reason why American men today have less testosterone than their fathers who had less testosterone than their fathers, maybe it has to do with no longer conquering continents and the relative soft lives of many American men? 

be5966b179e4c867529436bb80f5701e--norse-

• Love 11

So, I know that this is petty and probably a little silly. I'm owning up to it in advance, so bear with me.

There is this Toyota commercial I keep seeing, and it's edited such that as a blue Toyota drives by, the voiceover says "Camry", <more talking> cuts to a white Toyota, voiceover says "Corolla". Edited precisely so each car very clearly goes with each description. So they're setting us up to visually identify which car is which.

Then at the very end of the commercial, where they do the thing with a still photo of two cars side-by-side with the prices of each on screen, on the left is a red Camry and on the right is a blue Corolla.

This vexes me every time. They just gave me the visual setup the blue one is one model, and then they end up with the blue one being the other. And they're the same color, not slightly different shades. Either have both the cars at the end be completely different cars than those we saw in the moving shots, or make them match! The way it plays, it's sort of like they set up two characters in the first half of the commercial, and then for the final frame, they've switched costumes. Yeah, cars come in many colors, and yeah, two people can wear the same shirt, but it's a weird dissonant shift to do in the span of a 20 second ad.

I think it bugs me because every time it makes me do a double-take.

• Love 2

The woman who gets all horrified when the kid is mopping the bathroom floor with water from the toilet needs to chill out.  Does she really think she has to bleach the floor after that?  Doesn't she have other things to deal with?

I would absolutely bleach everything mopped in such a manner. That's a totally appropriate use of bleach. The water in the tank is probably clean. The water in the bowl is not. My real life reaction to just the ad is more severe than the character's. While I'm sure if this happened to me I would indeed have other things to deal with, I'd still be getting out the bleach as soon as possible.

• Love 12

“There's more E. coli in a kitchen sink than in a toilet after you flush it. The sink is a great place for E. coli to live and grow since it's wet and moist. Bacteria feed on the food that people put down the drain and what's left on dishes in the sink." (Mar 31, 2015)

Researchers at the London School of Hygiene & Tropical Medicine found fecal matter on one out of every six smartphones in a 2011 study. Add to that the work of Charles Gerba, a famed University of Arizona microbiologist who found cell phones carry 10 times the bacteria of most toilet seats.

• Love 3

That's because people take smartphones into the bathroom with them and flush=spray=contamination (and a lot of people don't wash their hands properly). If my kid filled the kitchen sink with water and used that to mop the floor, I'd disinfect that floor too. I don't think it's a matter of "is there other stuff that is dirtier" but rather a matter of "is this scenario a good use for bleach". Isn't the slogan in that series of ads something like "life's bleachable moments"? I think it fits.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, ennui said:

be5966b179e4c867529436bb80f5701e--norse-

Yes but we here have evolved. We eat ice cream out of OUR OWN SKULLS!

1 hour ago, theatremouse said:

I would absolutely bleach everything mopped in such a manner. That's a totally appropriate use of bleach. The water in the tank is probably clean. The water in the bowl is not. My real life reaction to just the ad is more severe than the character's. While I'm sure if this happened to me I would indeed have other things to deal with, I'd still be getting out the bleach as soon as possible.

I would just use Pine Sol . Bleach is a bit extreme.

• Love 5
22 hours ago, Jaded said:

What IS that disgusting crustacean in that commercial?! I just saw it 30 minutes ago and was totally grossed out.   Moving on to a commercial for (I believe, but not certain: a dating website)...some insane woman behind the wheel of her car SCREAMING "Brandon. Brendon, Braaandddonnn, Brennndonnn". I'm not looking for anyone's help in the dating world but IF I was....this would not be my go to website. ANNOYING/ IRRITATING/STUPID.

55 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Don't send me your therapy bill.

WTF? I kind of want to see this one! Lol

• Love 1
40 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

What IS that disgusting crustacean in that commercial?!

A flea.

There's this one commercial I thought was a Credit Karma commercial, but I searched for it online and couldn't find it, so maybe it's not Credit Karma.  But anyway, there's this guy who's sitting on the couch with some woman and she tells him that credit scores can change.  I hate the guy.  I hate the way he manspreads on the couch, I hate the way he behaves in the car, and I hate that he doesn't think your credit score can change, especially after an experience where he had his credit checked and it had changed.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, janie jones said:

A flea.

There's this one commercial I thought was a Credit Karma commercial, but I searched for it online and couldn't find it, so maybe it's not Credit Karma.  But anyway, there's this guy who's sitting on the couch with some woman and she tells him that credit scores can change.  I hate the guy.  I hate the way he manspreads on the couch, I hate the way he behaves in the car, and I hate that he doesn't think your credit score can change, especially after an experience where he had his credit checked and it had changed.

And I hope the credit card score company hates the way we HATE their f'n commercials!

7 hours ago, iMonrey said:

I don't know how many people here watched Breaking Bad, but Aaron Paul was a multi Emmy award winning actor on that show. And it saddens me he has no better options than doing Vitamin Water commercials now. 

He stars in a show called "The Path" on Hulu. I like it quite a bit.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

There's this one commercial I thought was a Credit Karma commercial, but I searched for it online and couldn't find it

You are correct, it's Credit Karma, but for some reason they have removed the ad. 

About Credit Karma TV Commercial, 'Check for Free'

This guy never realized how often credit scores could change until he saw his girlfriend checking her score using the Credit Karma app. He imagines himself sitting in a red sports car at a dealership and being turned down by the salesman. But after his girlfriend lends him her phone and he is able to check his score, there are no more surprises and the salesman hands him the key to his hot new ride.

3 hours ago, chenoa333 said:

Moving on to a commercial for (I believe, but not certain: a dating website)...some insane woman behind the wheel of her car SCREAMING "Brandon. Brendon, Braaandddonnn, Brennndonnn". I'm not looking for anyone's help in the dating world but IF I was....this would not be my go to website. ANNOYING/ IRRITATING/STUPID.

I think it's for a deodorant - how it keeps you cool in stressful situations, like going on a first date.

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Muffyn said:

Dear Paul for Sprint, I don't believe people ask you why you switched to Sprint.  We all know why you switched.  Money.  You were offered money.  You were offered enough money that it was in your best interest to switch.  You having more money from these commercials does not make you less of a jackass.  You are increasingly  unappealing and off-putting.  If I could afford to, I would pay you to go far, far away and never appear on TV again. 

(Yes, I saw a few too many Paul for Sprint commercials today.)

Even if Sprint's reception didn't suck in my area(which it majorly does), I wouldn't switch.

• Love 2
9 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I think it's for a deodorant - how it keeps you cool in stressful situations, like going on a first date.

Thanks for "translating"! I still can't tolerate that woman screaming, I don't care why she's sweating. I too have used my cars AC vents to dry my armpits because it works better than any antiperspirant.

• Love 2
12 hours ago, janie jones said:

Maybe it's because they realized the guy was obnoxious.

If companies removed ads because of obnoxiousness, 75% of commercials would disappear.

• Love 11
(edited)

Yeah, why do these people think that one's first credit score is permanent? I don't pretend to know much about this topic at all but I have never thought that! And what's with all the people in these commercials using someone else's phone to look up their scores?

Edited by TattleTeeny
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 8:42 PM, Jaded said:

OMFG, I'm scared to see what that is in the ad!

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 9:47 AM, frenchtoast said:

I am not looking forward to seeing this [GMC] commercial. At all. On the flip side, I can at least turn to my husband and say, "Yeah, a whole bunch of other people hate it, too."

Speaking of ads we all hate, I noticed there's a new "real people" Chevy ad featuring the douchebag pretending to be a valet and bringing people the wrong car and then convincing them to get into the stranger's car, at which point they all act disappointed about the car they own. Grrr...

21 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

The woman who gets all horrified when the kid is mopping the bathroom floor with water from the toilet needs to chill out.  Does she really think she has to bleach the floor after that?  Doesn't she have other things to deal with?

That reminds me of another one that makes me angry and features two parents encouraging their children to make a mess in the bathroom in the hopes of the video of it will "go viral".

• Love 6

Marie Osmond and Nutrisystem. I've noticed that sometimes she says she lost 50 lbs "with" Nutrisystem, sometimes "on" Nutrisystem. There's always been a claim that she actually lost the weight with DWTS, but I digress. 

I have a couple of days where I go to work late. I like to watch Columbo in the a.m. I vaguely recall that the original Columbo stories were 90 minutes, and Hallmark has two hours blocked out. Why? So they can run 5 minute commercials for Nutrisystem. This a.m., one of the ladies in the commercial was crying because she was bullied for being a chubby child. The commercials are effective, but I wish they would buy their own infomercial time and stay out of Columbo.

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Muffyn said:

Dear Paul for Sprint, I don't believe people ask you why you switched to Sprint.  We all know why you switched.  Money.  You were offered money.  You were offered enough money that it was in your best interest to switch.  You having more money from these commercials does not make you less of a jackass.  You are increasingly  unappealing and off-putting.  If I could afford to, I would pay you to go far, far away and never appear on TV again. 

(Yes, I saw a few too many Paul for Sprint commercials today.)

I don't believe people ask him because I don't think people on the street recognize him - he's not playing the same character, and even though he's no Tatiana Maslany, there's still enough difference that he doesn't ping as "Can you hear me now?" guy anymore.

Marie Osmond and Nutrisystem. I've noticed that sometimes she says she lost 50 lbs "with" Nutrisystem, sometimes "on" Nutrisystem. There's always been a claim that she actually lost the weight with DWTS, but I digress. 

Several years passed between her stint on DWTS and her Nutrisystem endorsements, and she hadn't lost that much weight by the end of DTWT. That said, there's nothing to say she owes all of her weight loss to Nutrisystem. I imagine she (or Nutrisystem) can employ personal trainers and personal chefs to monitor and help her as well. 

I haven't seen her commercials in awhile - do they still run? The really irregular ones are Kirstie Alley for Jennie Craig. She gets thin, they put her in the ads, she gets heavy again, they yank the ads. That's happened at least twice now. 

• Love 2