Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Peg Bracken, of the I Hate To Cook/Housekeep books fame, had an answer to that: "You have been watching spotless housekeepers at work." For the rest of us, she said (and this was in the 1960s), scraping off any large objects like a turkey carcass, plus maybe rinsing a plate if egg had been drying on it for days, was enough. Beyond that, she said, trust the machine and the special detergent. And if on rare occasions something emerges less than pristine, then wash it by hand, which is still better than pre-washing everything.

I loved Peg Bracken, almost  as much as Erma Bombeck . 

• Love 3

I have seen that commercial no fewer than 167 times, thanks to the repetitive commercials on streaming TV. "We call it the remainder; that's the number that remains!" I didn't have to see the commercial again to recite that. I'm tearing my hair out because I've seen the commercial so freaking many times.

I do appreciate the diversity in the choice of the teacher.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 5
On 8/10/2017 at 3:40 AM, GaT said:

If I have to see this damn movie commercial, or any of the other commercials for it again, I'm going to throw my TV out the window. This movie looks awful, putting the commercial on every 10 minutes is not going to make it better.

There are some TV channels where this movie would be at home, but I doubt it'll fly at a theater, which seems to be the aim of the trailer.

17 hours ago, missmansfield said:

Not sure if this was discussed already but I hate the Dove chocolate commercial with the woman screeching some Italian song. Her voice makes me cringe.

Are you talking about the one where the woman lives an entire life in one day?  Because that's Edith Piaf singing "Non, je ne regrette rien" in French.  Although you may be talking about a different commercial.  This is just the only one I've seen recently.

• Love 3

Reposting my previous post although slightly rewritten from a few pages back since I found the commercial I was talking about and found out there's two slightly different versions.

There's a wine commercial with the backside of some lady with her hand extended backwards towards whoever she's with. They change the way she looks throughout it but we only see her from the back. It's for Beringer Wine and there are apparently two different versions which I hadn't realized before. It makes sense as to why I'd see one thinking it looked kinda different though. 

43 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Are you talking about the one where the woman lives an entire life in one day?  Because that's Edith Piaf singing "Non, je ne regrette rien" in French.  Although you may be talking about a different commercial.  This is just the only one I've seen recently.

That's the commercial they were referring to? Jesus H. Christ, that's Edith Fucking Piaf. That song both empowers me and breaks my heart.

• Love 10
23 hours ago, Rinaldo said:

Peg Bracken, of the I Hate To Cook/Housekeep books fame, had an answer to that: "You have been watching spotless housekeepers at work." For the rest of us, she said (and this was in the 1960s), scraping off any large objects like a turkey carcass, plus maybe rinsing a plate if egg had been drying on it for days, was enough. Beyond that, she said, trust the machine and the special detergent. And if on rare occasions something emerges less than pristine, then wash it by hand, which is still better than pre-washing everything.

Oh my gosh, I recall that book!  So funny! Thanks for the memory.

• Love 3
20 hours ago, missmansfield said:

Not sure if this was discussed already but I hate the Dove chocolate commercial with the woman screeching some Italian song. Her voice makes me cringe.

3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

3 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

That's the commercial they were referring to? Jesus H. Christ, that's Edith Fucking Piaf. That song both empowers me and breaks my heart.

Well, à chacun son goût, I guess. I've tried to appreciate it because the song and singer are classics, but her voice just sets my teeth on edge. Other than that I'm all for anyone trying to sell me more chocolate.

• Love 6
28 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

Well, à chacun son goût, I guess. I've tried to appreciate it because the song and singer are classics, but her voice just sets my teeth on edge. Other than that I'm all for anyone trying to sell me more chocolate.

I guess that is the song.  I don't care who sings it, classic or not.  I agree - her voice sets my teeth on edge!

• Love 3
6 hours ago, Jaded said:

There's a wine commercial with the backside of some lady with her hand extended backwards towards whoever she's with. They change the way she looks throughout it but we only see her from the back. It's for Beringer Wine and there are apparently two different versions which I hadn't realized before. It makes sense as to why I'd see one thinking it looked kinda different though. 

IIRC, this couple was featured on Buzzfeed.  The husband is a photographer, and all the photos are of his wife doing that exact pose; her stretching out her hand to him as they head to whatever destination they're going.  Her clothes change according the destination (they got a lot of flak for her wearing traditional Indian garb when they went to India) but they were a big hit.  Not surprised that they're finally in a commercial.

• Love 1
10 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

This commercial is both annoying and puzzling, so it depends on my mood if it annoys me or just confuses me:

What's confusing about it? Drugstores and the like lock up many types of razors so you have to ask for help (which is annoying). Dollar Shave Club is a mail-order razor club, so razors get sent to your home on a regular basis and eliminate the need to buy them retail.

• Love 8
54 minutes ago, SmithW6079 said:

What's confusing about it? Drugstores and the like lock up many types of razors so you have to ask for help (which is annoying). Dollar Shave Club is a mail-order razor club, so razors get sent to your home on a regular basis and eliminate the need to buy them retail.

I guess I don't get the part where the guy shoots him with a tranq dart. The first clerk wandering past him without looking up from her phone is annoying enough, but it makes no sense that a store that wants to make money would prevent anyone from buying their merchandise. Too much thinking about it from a Real World perspective.

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I guess I don't get the part where the guy shoots him with a tranq dart. The first clerk wandering past him without looking up from her phone is annoying enough, but it makes no sense that a store that wants to make money would prevent anyone from buying their merchandise. Too much thinking about it from a Real World perspective.

OK. I took the tranq part as the clerks really don't want to help the poor guy buy a razor. He should just grow a beard. 

• Love 5

We also have the locked-up shaving supplies here locally, and it always strikes me funny.  You would think they would want to SELL some blades.  They also do the lock-up on perfumes and colognes.  THIS one burns my butt!  They don't even have samples available so you can smell them!  I know these products are expensive, but put a freakin' camera on them if you are so worried!

• Love 3

I think it would not make sense if the commercial was for the store. But it's for the store's competition, so of course it's going to exaggerate the downside of shopping there, i.e, careless employees and waiting for help (I doubt we're expected to infer that clerks shoot people in real life). Plus, I think it's fair to guess that many store employees who don't think in big-picture terms don't give a shit if the store isn't selling stuff.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

Yes, exactly - the pitch is that buying razor blades in a store is such a pain in the ass because they're locked up and it's not a quick thing to just have a store clerk retrieve them for you.  So the store employees in the commercial are the worst-case exaggeration of the real issue that they can be hard to find and/or reluctant to help.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 5

I think this could technically go in many threads but I just saw a commercial for this "Black Off" blackhead remover and was thoroughly disgusted. I don't need to see squeezing blackheads, blackheads stuck to masques, or people peeling off peel-off masques close up and in HD. And there's even an exaggerated mask-peeling sound! (Not as loud as the Air Hawk but close!)

Commercial on the site. Watch at your own risk! https://www.buyblackoff.com

• Love 3

I thought the tranq dart was shot by the clerk because he wanted to apprehend a "thief." A stupid commercial, IMO.

Speaking of locking things up, my local Rite Aid went through about a six month period where you could not remove a three pack of gum from the rack without someone coming with a key. Considering that most Rite Aid stores around here have one or two people at the register and if we're lucky, one person on the floor, it took forever. They finally got rid of that and I could resume buying my Trident there.

• Love 2

I can understand razors under lockdown because the markup on them is crazy (like most stuff in drugstores). They're like $30 for an eight-pack of cartridges, but gum? $1.69?

Dollar Tree sells a surprisingly vast selection of name-brand gum--single-, three- and five-packs.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, SmithW6079 said:

I'm neutral/mildly positive on The Rock as an actor, but I fucking hate his Siri commercials. He comes across as a giant douche, and to make matters worse, the commercial is aired all the fucking time.

I like him well enough, but I'm sick of the commercial. I saw that one, the stupid freaking Sweet Caroline commercial and the "We call it the remainder; that's the number that remains!" commercial about 12 times each in the last two hours of streaming TV. Are there no other commercials???

• Love 3

There is a back-to-school commercial for Academy Sports that grates on my last nerve:

A mom is conducting a press conference and announces she's picked Academy for her kids shoes. Reporters start firing questions and she answers the "was convenience a factor?" question by saying "I'm a mom. At Academy I'm not waiting on some tweenager for sizes I already know I need"

1. Tweenagers are ages 8 to 12. And she says “tweenager" like they are detestable. Mom, you do realize your special snowflakes will be tweenagers someday too, right?

2. Hey, at least they have jobs and aren't in their parents basement playing video games and yelling for mom to bring them a sandwich. They are working, earning their own money and learning responsibility. Guess your crotchfruit won't ever have to do that, huh?

I hope she goes to Academy and can't find the size she wants and can't find one of those awful 'tweens' to help her...

https://ispot.tv/a/w2qY

Edited by Knitting Hippie
  • Love 7
On 8/11/2017 at 6:45 PM, Amethyst said:

IIRC, this couple was featured on Buzzfeed.  The husband is a photographer, and all the photos are of his wife doing that exact pose; her stretching out her hand to him as they head to whatever destination they're going.  Her clothes change according the destination (they got a lot of flak for her wearing traditional Indian garb when they went to India) but they were a big hit.  Not surprised that they're finally in a commercial.

Oh it irritates me so much that people got famous off that shit.  That pose is so fucking phony and ridiculous.  As if anyone is ever holding onto someone's hand and walking directly behind them like that when they aren't trying to avoid getting separated in a crowd.  And even if they are, there's no reason to take a picture of it other than to be douchey.  There's a commercial for Israel tourism that's a woman and man's arm in basically the same pose throughout the whole thing (although I think she turns around some), and I loathe it.  I hate seeing poses like that on social media.

• Love 6

Speaking of locking things up, my local Rite Aid went through about a six month period where you could not remove a three pack of gum from the rack without someone coming with a key. Considering that most Rite Aid stores around here have one or two people at the register and if we're lucky, one person on the floor, it took forever. They finally got rid of that and I could resume buying my Trident there.

Our Rite Aid has the morning-after pill out on the shelves, but placed there inside a portable clear-plastic box that the cashier has to unlock. (Yeah...I know this because I'm taking no chances. NO KIDS FOR ME!)

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

The Ford Summer Sales Event commercial really cheeses me off because in only ten seconds it manages to spit out every insulting stereotype, cliche and trope ever gathered in a TV commercial. A woman is gabbing on her phone while her boyfriend/husband trails along, weighed down with the woman's shopping bags. Because women love to shop! And gab on the phone! And men are whipped and have to carry all their shopping bags! And since the poor guy's arms are loaded with this chick's shopping bags, he can't open the hatchback. But all she has to do is tap the back of the Ford SUV with her toe and the hatchback magically opens. Because only she knows how the car I'm assuming both of them own works. Because men are dumb! Also, she seems to be on the phone with her mother explaining how WiFi works (or, what it is). Because old people are dumb too! See? Now, I wonder what other insulting generalities they could have crammed in there. Oh, I know! I bet all those shopping bags are filled with shoes! Because women are obsessed with shoes! And I bet when that couple gets home the guy gets scolded for looking through all the yogurt in the fridge because he thinks pies are in there!

Edited by iMonrey
  • Love 22

"Six is greater than one."

No shit, Flonase.

Those commercials are so freakin' irritating!

I really hate the commercials for some drug that's supposed to help keep chemo patients from getting infections from the treatments. "Why go to the doctor when you can stay home and you and your husband can sit on the sofa and touch each other's faces in the most awkward ways possible!" It's because of these mini movies that the cost of the drug is so high.

• Love 8

You are all my people.  I hate most commercials so effing much.  My biggest irritation is music in commercials - either crappy remakes of songs, or where they only play one tiny blip of a song.  I'm a music junkie, and it really irritates the daylights out of me.  I think it was Target once that used "Genius Of Love" and changed the words to "Whatcha gonna do when you get out of here?" (correct words are "get out of jail").  Or the gum commercials with the horrible warbling of "I Can't Help Falling In Love".  I saw one at least 5 times last night that just uses the first few words of the song and then cuts out to just the music (I wish I could remember what it was off the top of my head).  And the one for a washing machine with a guy who is carrying a kid and says "Don't poop!  Don't poop!".  The music in the background sounds a lot like "You Are My Sunshine" but there are parts of it missing - it's bizarre, and I want to sing along in my head, but the music isn't right.

I think the absolute worst commercial right now is one for knee braces marketed toward the elderly.  It features some horrible animation and some little girl who wants her Grandma to skateboard with her, but Grandma can't because her knee hurts.  Then it cuts to horrible stock footage of old people, and then back to the terrible animation with the little girl unable to keep up with Grandma, who is riding a skateboard in her house dress and sensible shoes, and of course her knee brace.

• Love 9

think the absolute worst commercial right now is one for knee braces marketed toward the elderly.  It features some horrible animation and some little girl who wants her Grandma to skateboard with her, but Grandma can't because her knee hurts.  Then it cuts to horrible stock footage of old people, and then back to the terrible animation with the little girl unable to keep up with Grandma, who is riding a skateboard in her house dress and sensible shoes, and of course her knee brace.

Oh Honey, this forum has taken that commercial apart down to the bolts on more than one occasion. You are not alone.

23 minutes ago, HipOldBat said:

Macy's.

You're right. Thank you.

• Love 5
7 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Oh Honey, this forum has taken that commercial apart down to the bolts on more than one occasion. You are not alone.

I didn't have time to go back through 288 pages, so I missed that one.  It's relatively new to our area.

And over the weekend, I heard the unfortunate return of the "Susie got all germy.  A cold, the bug, a flu." commercial.  NOOOOOOOOOO!

• Love 1
Just now, Silver Raven said:

I love that song, sung by American Idol alumna Haley Reinhardt.

I don't know why it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.  I've never watched a minute of American Idol, so that explains why I didn't know who it was.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, funky-rat said:

My biggest irritation is music in commercials - either crappy remakes of songs, or where they only play one tiny blip of a song.  I'm a music junkie, and it really irritates the daylights out of me.  I think it was Target once that used "Genius Of Love" and changed the words to "Whatcha gonna do when you get out of here?" (correct words are "get out of jail").  Or the gum commercials with the horrible warbling of "I Can't Help Falling In Love".  I saw one at least 5 times last night that just uses the first few words of the song and then cuts out to just the music (I wish I could remember what it was off the top of my head).  And the one for a washing machine with a guy who is carrying a kid and says "Don't poop!  Don't poop!".  The music in the background sounds a lot like "You Are My Sunshine" but there are parts of it missing - it's bizarre, and I want to sing along in my head, but the music isn't right.

Same. I don't have a problem with a commercial using music in and of itself-done right it can be effective. But way too many commercials use songs in the wrong ways. The other day I heard the Specials' "Message to You, Rudy" in a commercial for planning one's retirement. Yes, there's a line in that song that goes, "Better think of your future"....but it's followed up by, "Else you'll wind up in jail". So yeah. Pretty sure that's not the sort of song I'd pick for a retirement ad.

My favorite misuse of a song still involves a commercial from years back advertising some kid's toy-I think it was one of those toy cars that kids could have fun riding around in-to the tune of "I'm So Excited". Ummmmm...

• Love 1

"Beringer, Better Beckons" could be a tricky slogan. I like Beringer, but it could be interpreted as something better- than- Beringer- beckons.

The “Did you hear about the NATO plane that was shot down by Russia?” lady is getting on my last nerve. I was ambivalent for a long time, but repetition has made me despise her. Lovely restaurant, obnoxious 1%-er.  Found this:

Marketing a service on the basis of a stock market collapse, brought about by a war where Russia attacks NATO. The elite 1% bankers profiting off of war with Russia…who would have figured.

Btw, it's Interactive Brokers. 

3 hours ago, funky-rat said:

I don't know why it's like nails on a chalkboard to me.  I've never watched a minute of American Idol, so that explains why I didn't know who it was.

I haven't seen the ad, but that video grates for me too. I probably wouldn't mind if she had a rough start, then nailed the rest of it, but the problems with her singing were recurring, so each one drew my attention away from what she had just done well and created a bit of frustration.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ennui said:

"Beringer, Better Beckons" could be a tricky slogan. I like Beringer, but it could be interpreted as something better- than- Beringer- beckons.

The “Did you hear about the NATO plane that was shot down by Russia?” lady is getting on my last nerve. I was ambivalent for a long time, but repetition has made me despise her. Lovely restaurant, obnoxious 1%-er.  Found this:

Marketing a service on the basis of a stock market collapse, brought about by a war where Russia attacks NATO. The elite 1% bankers profiting off of war with Russia…who would have figured.

Btw, it's Interactive Brokers. 

Wow.  Is there REALLY a commercial like that??

7 hours ago, funky-rat said:

You are all my people.  I hate most commercials so effing much.  My biggest irritation is music in commercials - either crappy remakes of songs, or where they only play one tiny blip of a song.  I'm a music junkie, and it really irritates the daylights out of me.  I think it was Target once that used "Genius Of Love" and changed the words to "Whatcha gonna do when you get out of here?" (correct words are "get out of jail").  Or the gum commercials with the horrible warbling of "I Can't Help Falling In Love".  I saw one at least 5 times last night that just uses the first few words of the song and then cuts out to just the music (I wish I could remember what it was off the top of my head).  And the one for a washing machine with a guy who is carrying a kid and says "Don't poop!  Don't poop!".  The music in the background sounds a lot like "You Are My Sunshine" but there are parts of it missing - it's bizarre, and I want to sing along in my head, but the music isn't right.

I threw a hissy fit about this a few months ago. It's really jarring to start following and enjoying a piece of music and suddenly someone hacks out what should come next and splices in something from near the end so that it fits into a 30-second ad.  First I'm shocked then I feel betrayed, which totally obliterates whatever good will I'd been feeling about whatever is being sold. It's worst of all with music I'm very familiar with. Not at all what the advertisers have in mind, I'm sure.

• Love 4