Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

She's just twirling so much in that one position that I seriously think, "Has this fool been hypnotized?"

Maybe there's a layer under the skirt? Maybe not though; I have a very similar one--ankle length, as I do not like that commercial skirt's length at all!--that doesn't have a built-in one so I use a long black slip with it. Six bucks at the local Goodwill so take that, ThredUp!

• Love 1
15 hours ago, Cobalt Stargazer said:

I just saw this ad for the first time after reading about it here, and I was wondering why Janelle Monae was in a commercial.

You know, there was something about Janelle Monae's "hairstyle" back then that used to scare the crap out of me.  Maybe it was the combination of the hair and makeup that made me think of some creepy dead person.  I still don't like her or her music, but I'm glad she at least changed the hair to get acting roles. 

• Love 1

Is the Yogurt Bitch that little girl who was so snippy to her dad?  I hated those commercials with a passion.

And add me to the Dole Fruit Bowl haters club.  Using fruit juice just adds more carbs and calories to the fruit.  And I drain it no matter what it's in.

• Love 5
50 minutes ago, funky-rat said:

Is the Yogurt Bitch that little girl who was so snippy to her dad?  I hated those commercials with a passion.

She's one of them. There are many. The earliest one I can think of is the one who's on the phone talking about the great desserts she just bought - Boston Cream Pie! Strawberry Shortcake! - and in the background her husband is digging through the fridge looking for them but only finding flavored cow snot.

• Love 5
On 8/26/2017 at 2:34 PM, configdotsys said:

If I see that Best Buy college dude that spits out donut pieces while saying "Neeeeedy!" again, I am seriously going to go berserk.

I can't stand that guy. I also get the feeling I'm supposed to know who he is and find him funny but I don't.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Matryoshka said:

I can't stand that guy. I also get the feeling I'm supposed to know who he is and find him funny but I don't.

That's Adam Devine, from the Pitch Perfect movies and the TV series "Workaholics".  Though he is far past college age IRL.  :)  He's also in the Allstate ad where he gets his chest hair waxed.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/ABdM/allstate-spa-day-featuring-adam-devine

Edited by Silver Raven
  • Love 3

Ugh, he's that guy from Modern Family, and at first I thought he was just playing a really annoying character, and then he started showing up in all these commercials playing characters every bit as annoying, and now the very sight of him has me lunging for the remote.

• Love 9
4 minutes ago, Bastet said:

Ugh, he's that guy from Modern Family, and at first I thought he was just playing a really annoying character, and then he started showing up in all these commercials playing characters every bit as annoying, and now the very sight of him has me lunging for the remote.

He plays a jerk in every thing he's in.

• Love 7
45 minutes ago, Jamoche said:

She's one of them. There are many. The earliest one I can think of is the one who's on the phone talking about the great desserts she just bought - Boston Cream Pie! Strawberry Shortcake! - and in the background her husband is digging through the fridge looking for them but only finding flavored cow snot.

Yep and she turns and sees him looking at the yogurt and gets all pissy about him daring to even think about having some of her yogurt. Only bitchy women can have yogurt! No cow snot for you, hubby!

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

Yep and she turns and sees him looking at the yogurt and gets all pissy about him daring to even think about having some of her yogurt. Only bitchy women can have yogurt! No cow snot for you, hubby!

Good thing I have an intolerance for yogurt, I guess.  I tend to ignore the commercials because I don't buy it.  The snippy little girl just stuck out to me because she was sooo mouthy.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

That's Adam Devine, from the Pitch Perfect movies and the TV series "Workaholics".  Though he is far past college age IRL.  :)  He's also in the Allstate ad where he gets his chest hair waxed.

Ah, thanks. Now I can call him by his name when I tell him to shut up. : )

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Jamoche said:

flavored cow snot

This literally made me laugh out loud!  I don't think I've ever heard it referred to as that.

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

He plays a jerk in every thing he's in.

Or he is just a jerk and plays himself in everything he's in.

• Love 2

I recently saw him in "Mike and Dave Need Wedding Dates", and while I never usually go for slapstick comedy, I laughed often at that movie. It also featured Anna Kendrick and Aubrey Plaza, who were hilarious. It was as much about them as Adam DeVine (the subject of our conversation) and Zac Efron. Adam DeVine does indeed play the same dude in every movie in which I've seen him.

• Love 1

I'm beginning to think you're on to something.  I had one pop in to my head last night that I hadn't thought about in years.  It was some snotty teenage girl talking at the breakfast table about how Activia is scientifically better than regular yogurt, spewing out technical names, etc, while Dad is buried behind a newspaper, humoring her.  Then at the end he says something about how they should buy Activia yogurt.  Cut to snotty girl while she's eating it with a huge smirk on her face, like "ZOMG!  Dad is TOTES LAME!!!".  Ugh....

• Love 2

The folks at truth.com need to go away until they can live up to their name. There's nothing remarkable about everything (including convenience stores and schools) being nearer to each other in an area where people can't afford cars or taxis. And I think it's a little racist to be equating low-income neighborhoods with POC.

• Love 7

O.k. That's IT. I have finally reached my breaking point with Marie Osmond's fucking Nutra System torturemercials. Not only can't I hit the mute button fast enough, I just change the channel. "Oh my goodness, look at you woman!" *hork*

• Love 10
1 hour ago, LoneHaranguer said:

The folks at truth.com need to go away until they can live up to their name. There's nothing remarkable about everything (including convenience stores and schools) being nearer to each other in an area where people can't afford cars or taxis. And I think it's a little racist to be equating low-income neighborhoods with POC.

Amen!  With every new ad they put out, they get worse and worse.  I despise them!  One of the enraging things they say is (paraphrased) :  "Once you start smoking, your life will TOTALLY focus on just smoking; that you only live for your next cigarette".  This is SUCH horseshit.  I smoked for 30 years, heavy smoker, and I NEVER did that.  And I was able to actually quit, when I really decided I was done.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Amen!  With every new ad they put out, they get worse and worse.  I despise them!  One of the enraging things they say is (paraphrased) :  "Once you start smoking, your life will TOTALLY focus on just smoking; that you only live for your next cigarette".  This is SUCH horseshit.  I smoked for 30 years, heavy smoker, and I NEVER did that.  And I was able to actually quit, when I really decided I was done.

I got curious the last time truth.org's God awful ads were discussed and looked into why these little droppings of enlightenment were so bad. Basically, the anti-smoking advocacy group that produces them is getting a chunk of a multi-billion dollar settlement from the big tobacco companies to do it, and short of all tobacco disappearing from the face of the earth overnight the money will keep flowing in forever. The ads can suck because they don't have to be good -- the organization gets its money no matter what. I'm sure some of the people involved think they're doing the right thing but bottom line: it really doesn't matter.

Edited by CoderLady
  • Love 4
9 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

O.k. That's IT. I have finally reached my breaking point with Marie Osmond's fucking Nutra System torturemercials. Not only can't I hit the mute button fast enough, I just change the channel. "Oh my goodness, look at you woman!" *hork*

I always wonder if anybody picks up on the phrase "lose up to 13 pounds the first, week , month, whatever. Guaranteed!!!!"  Do they have any idea what the phrase "up to" means?

It's as bad as "get another knife , pan, flashlight, whatever, FREE, just pay an additional fee! lololol

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, SoSueMe said:

I always wonder if anybody picks up on the phrase "lose up to 13 pounds the first, week , month, whatever. Guaranteed!!!!"  Do they have any idea what the phrase "up to" means?

It's as bad as "get another knife , pan, flashlight, whatever, FREE, just pay an additional fee! lololol

"Save up to $X - or more!"

That is literally saying the savings can be any value at all.

• Love 7

I sure even wolves stop to chew their food.

I don't know about that, I had to train this pit bull pup not to inhale his food. I started by putting small amounts in his dish and standing between him and the food and counting, started with a 5 count, now I usually do 30, but I do a lot of it silently and I don't have to stand between him and the food most of the time. I try to make him sit before I start the count and he doesn't get to eat until I tell him "take it". I also regularly showed him the bin where the food is so he could see there was plenty, he wasn't going to starve. Now if I could get him to stop charging the door. He was dumped on me last winter and I'm that stands between him and death, but he's a dog and that's a concept that's totally not in his sphere of understanding.

But back to commercials, is there a way I can find out if the "rrriiiiiiigggggggtttttttt now" ladies, one in the Jacuzzi ad and the other one of the shrieking harridans in the ad for the wrinkle cream where they watch 5 minutes of the shrinking of the wrinkles on the father of one of the harridans, are one and the same. I can't get a good enough look at the one "rrriiiiiiiiggggggggtttttttt now because the wrinkle cream stuff doesn't appear to be in much rotation at the moment. These wonderful ads are on the cheap, antenna channels, I hardly watch network tv anymore and don't have cable.

And I never met a run-on sentence I didn't like! lol.

• Love 4

One of the for-profit colleges is running a couple of commercials with the tagline that's something like, "A degree makes a difference," or some such.

One of the two commercials has a man working on a construction crew. He gets his shitty fake degree and all of the sudden is moving into a fancy, windowed office at a architecture and engineering firm.

The commercials piss me off because they strongly imply that manual yet skilled labor is less important (and less prestigious, but that's an argument for another time) than work requiring a degree. There is absolutely no shame whatsoever in any honest job. People need work and societies need workers, regardless of education level. (I do side-eye internet "influencers", but I'm old.)

Furthermore, it's been proven time and again that for-profit "colleges" have much poorer rates of graduation than traditional, accredited, non-profit colleges/universities. Additionally, students of for-profit schools go into greater debt than those of traditional colleges, and their credits don't transfer to traditional colleges.

So there.

• Love 15

Know what irritates me? Or rather the newest commercial that irritates me? The STOOPID Gillette one.  Where two men have slathered shaving foam on their faces and is still coating their hands when they realize they've run out of blades. And try to text using their chins with the foam still on, instead of just washing their hands, wiping them dry, and using their FINGERS to type the text. Just to tell the Manly Men who still use blades that you can order them via text!??? No, the blades don't pop up magically. They would still have to wait. Might as well have cleaned your face off, go to the nearest Target or wherever, and buy some.??

JEEBUS.

• Love 11

I use an electric razor just so I don't have to text with my chin for more blades.

7 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Who wouldn't have the razor ready before applying the shaving cream anyway?

Apparently the two idiots in the commercial...

• Love 4
12 hours ago, Moose135 said:

I use an electric razor just so I don't have to text with my chin for more blades.

I presume you use a rotary; I've heard the blades on something like a Braun can eat through the foil unexpectedly and nobody thinks to have a spare one around.

2 hours ago, GaT said:

I hate this kid, your father brought home pizza you little shit, be grateful you get some.

If I was the dad I'd have a strong desire to slap the pizza into the smug kid's face and say "Get your own f**king pizza then, you lazy f**king ingrate!"

But I guess it might get complaints

• Love 10
On 9/1/2017 at 0:56 AM, InDueTime said:

What's more obnoxious than the Progressive talking box in an ad? The Progressive talking box on a hover board talking about "swag" and "bling" in an ad.

I was just coming here to complain about this ad lol! I want to set that damn box on fire 

• Love 5
On 8/31/2017 at 9:56 PM, InDueTime said:

What's more obnoxious than the Progressive talking box in an ad? The Progressive talking box on a hover board talking about "swag" and "bling" in an ad.

38 minutes ago, spaceytraci1208 said:

I was just coming here to complain about this ad lol! I want to set that damn box on fire 

I just realized that I have never remembered anything the box has said about the insurance it's selling in any one of those ads. Not one thing, because I'm being way too annoyed by that obnoxious wad of animated cardboard to listen to the pitch. Guess that's a fail, Progressive. 

• Love 5
22 hours ago, LoneHaranguer said:

I'm a little skeptical that this (Swedish) company thought they were doing anything more than showing a variety of customers and beds.

Then why not show three couples?  Why show the black woman alone?

• Love 4