Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, seasons said:

Volume is really low but this is too snarkworthy to miss...

Stick with it until the end.

Sorry though that you can't get those two minutes back... lol.

I hate when people fake yawn on TV. It's always obvious that they aren't really yawning.

32 minutes ago, Tunia said:

Does My Pillow arrive with your own personal cross on a chain? <snark>  Sleepy Dude Customer isn't wearing one at the beginning, but he's got one dangling out his shirt at the end, just like Mikey. 

Mikey seems like such a milquetoast kinda' guy that I was floored to read of his background:

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/smallbusiness/how-this-entrepreneur-went-from-a-crack-addict-to-a-self-made-multimillionaire/ar-AAsg4oY

I've been kind of intrigued about the pillow he's schilling, but after reading that, I won't be buying it. It has nothing to do with his being an addict.

• Love 2

Lol the double-sided medicine cabinet is pretty out of date on that my pillow commercial.  Imagine waking up to see that dude on the other side of the mirror. Then we all head into my bedroom for a pillow tutorial. As if.

On 9/22/2017 at 1:44 PM, CoderLady said:

I'll bet someone wanted to give him the gravitas of an older doctor without doing the research into why older doctors and other people over 40 need little glasses like that for looking at things close up (presbyopia), but young guys like him wouldn't. They did get the halfway down the nose thing right, though.

I'm sure you're right.  Most people I know, though, who need reading glasses and wear them halfway down the nose, do it when they're actually reading (while needing to look up once in awhile).  They would NEVER wear them while being filmed for a TV commercial!! :)

• Love 2
On 9/25/2017 at 1:32 AM, friendperidot said:

I'm starting to be really annoyed by Joan Lunden's A Place for Mom ads. There's a line about them matching up economically, personality and several other criteria. But for people in my socio-economic class, they're staying in their homes until they die or as long as possible before their family puts them in a nursing home and personality of the resident and the home are not even under any consideration, it's where ever they can find a bed they can afford after selling off all their assets.

There's something about Joan Lunden that annoys me. The tone of her voice sounds very condescending at times. 

• Love 4
On 9/24/2017 at 3:20 PM, seasons said:

Volume is really low but this is too snarkworthy to miss...

Stick with it until the end.

Sorry though that you can't get those two minutes back... lol.

That ad " cracks" me up! Lol. (For those of you who might not know....the My Pillow inventor is an ex crack cocaine addict) Good for him for obvious reasons!

• Love 1
On 9/25/2017 at 9:02 AM, seasons said:

Lol the double-sided medicine cabinet is pretty out of date on that my pillow commercial.  Imagine waking up to see that dude on the other side of the mirror. Then we all head into my bedroom for a pillow tutorial. As if.

The first thing I thought of was the old series of Right Guard commercials.  I was half-expecting him to say, “Hi, Guy!”

”MONA!”

• Love 12
On 9/21/2017 at 11:41 AM, Adultosaurus said:

The Amazon commercial with the lovely Asian family, beautiful baby and gorgeous dog is RUINED with the horrible song they chose.  It's a mad-dash for the mute button when it comes on (which is all. the. damn. time.)

And the song makes no sense anyway! The dog is not even allowed to "beeeee...just you and me."

The Breath Savers(?) ad with the guy looking directly into the other guy's mouth..wtf

And the guy is really (and so badly) overselling the "I have something in my mouth" way of speaking. Worse even than the voice of the chewing Beneful dog.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 2

And the guy is really (and so badly) overselling the "I have something in my mouth" way of speaking. Worse even than the voice of the chewing Beneful dog.

Forgive me but I must disagree. Nothing is worse than the Beneful dog. If I ever heard a dog talking like that I'd call an exorcist. Not because of the talking but because dogs DO NOT LIKE pumpkin.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 2
On 9/21/2017 at 10:41 AM, Adultosaurus said:

The Amazon commercial with the lovely Asian family, beautiful baby and gorgeous dog is RUINED with the horrible song they chose.  It's a mad-dash for the mute button when it comes on (which is all. the. damn. time.)

I absolutely despise the screechy voice singing too.  I have noticed several companies using the same kind of tone in their commercial songs.  Why do they think it is appealing??

• Love 2
10 minutes ago, missmansfield said:

I absolutely despise the screechy voice singing too.  I have noticed several companies using the same kind of tone in their commercial songs.  Why do they think it is appealing??

It is a fad.  An affectation, kind of like saying "kih-en"  instead of "kit-ten".  It is COOL, don'cha know?

• Love 1
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

Forgive me but I must disagree. Nothing is worse than the Beneful dog. If I ever heard a dog talking like that I'd call an exorcist. Not because of the talking but because dogs DO NOT LIKE pumpkin.

My dog loves pumpkin. And many dog owners give it to their dogs because it's good for their digestion. 

• Love 6
3 minutes ago, Duke2801 said:

My dog loves pumpkin. And many dog owners give it to their dogs because it's good for their digestion. 

My cat loves avocado. I don't think it is good for his digestion though. Do you give them the purree or just uncooked pumpkin chunks?

1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

I rate Beneful lower on the annoying scale only because at least I can see a dog!

• Love 2
2 hours ago, missmansfield said:

Not only that, but the poor dog was probably part of the family long before there was a baby. He just wants to friends with the smelly, leaky thing and she acts like he's Jack the Ripper. He didn't ask for this and he doesn't understand what he did wrong.  :,(

• Love 14

And it's a damn baby--sure it stinks that she's scared, but again, BABY! Babies learn as time passes, you jerk family! She'll get used to the dog just like she'll get used to, like, everything ever that she doesn't already know about due to the fact that she is a baby! What are these fools gonna do when she cries about having to learn a toilet?

• Love 15
59 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

And it's a damn baby--sure it stinks that she's scared, but again, BABY! Babies learn as time passes, you jerk family! She'll get used to the dog just like she'll get used to, like, everything ever that she doesn't already know about due to the fact that she is a baby! What are these fools gonna do when she cries about having to learn a toilet?

Some female comedian has a bit in her act where she talks about how her dad left the family when she was very young, only two years old, and she said that people tend to blow that kind of thing way out of proportion; 'Oh, that must have been so tough for you, that your father left when you were only two.' And I'm just like, Hello, I was two! Kids don't know what's going on! Your entire life is 'Ow, there's that fuckin' coffee table!' You're just trying to walk!"

• Love 8

Now (and forever...gladly), I am childless so I'm no authority (and I apologize to the parents here for basically comparing a child to a pet) but I feel like it would be more difficult to do the reverse--to, let's say, teach a dog not to be afraid of a kid! The human is going to evolve and gain comprehension and the power of language, in addition to adjusting on a daily basis! The dog (or probably worse, a curmudgeonly cat) just already is what it is and might just be pissy at/terrified of that baby forever!

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 9

Yep, canned pumpkin is a common way of adding fiber to a pet's diet.  I had a cat who needed extra fiber, and he loved canned pumpkin, so I didn't even have to mix it in with his food, I could just feed it to him plain.  But it was a lot cheaper and less wasteful to just add psyllium, so I switched to that.

Getting back to the commercial where the parents dress the poor dog up like a lion so their stupid kid isn't scared of him, I obviously - by use of "poor dog" and "stupid kid" - do not respond to it the way the advertising team intended.

• Love 13

What I get from that commercial is that the dad feels bad for the dog.

On 9/26/2017 at 8:54 AM, seasons said:

"If you spit blood..."

On 9/26/2017 at 10:02 AM, mmecorday said:

... you might be a vampire."

It's Karin!

2 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

What are these fools gonna do when she cries about having to learn a toilet?

Obviously, they're going to dress it up like a lion.

• Love 18

As a self-diagnosed sufferer of misophonia, I cannot stand the T-mobile/Netflix commercial. I can't get to the mute button fast enough. Why is this even allowed on TV?! 

Also I agree with all of you about the amazon commercial. Worst song ever. 

• Love 6
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

<snip>

Getting back to the commercial where the parents dress the poor dog up like a lion so their stupid kid isn't scared of him, I obviously - by use of "poor dog" and "stupid kid" - do not respond to it the way the advertising team intended.

Just wait 'til "stupid kid" encounters a real lion in a bad mood and gets the poop scared out of her because it's not like the sweet cuddly "lion" she has at home.  She'll be traumatized at every zoo visit!

• Love 8
12 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Sherpa-Toilet-Seat-Cover-by-OakRidgeTM/156964561?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=1656&adid=22222222227055864462&wmlspartner=wmtlabs&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=159334337741&wl4=pla-268330558024&wl5=9016137&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=112550034&wl11=online&wl12=156964561&wl13=&veh=sem

• Love 2
12 hours ago, Bastet said:

That commercial irritates me to no end. Especially since that poor dog looks so sad and it's clear to me he/she doesn't want to be a "lion." And for what it's worth, babies love doggies, if the numerous videos of them playing, laughing, sleeping with big dogs that fill my Face Book feed is any indication.

I'll just say that's one very good trained dog, who can emote so well and show it's miserable.

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Haleth said:

OH MY GOD! I grew up in the '70s and that was totally a thing! Seriously, people say that the toilet rug is a germ-fest no matter how neat one is; imagine the findings in that thing!

Just wait 'til "stupid kid" encounters a real lion in a bad mood and gets the poop scared out of her because it's not like the sweet cuddly "lion" she has at home.  She'll be traumatized at every zoo visit!

Your post reminded me of this T-shirt that always makes me laugh.

pettingzoo-t-shirt-sand-750x750.jpg

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 7

Babies are weird at that age. Six months ago my friends' kid would flip out if you tried to take her in the kitchen, so they didn't. Last weekend? The fridge in that very same kitchen was the most fascinating thing ever - or rather the fridge magnets were. (Guess who was holding the kid to keep her occupied...)

• Love 4
On 9/27/2017 at 3:25 PM, Duke2801 said:

I agree - when my dog had some stomach upsets his breeder recommended canned pumpkin.  It works great and he loved it!

Oops, I just saw this has already been covered extensively.  Sorry!

Edited by missmansfield
Misspelled
  • Love 4

The commercial may annoy you but when I had my back to the wall, and a Mom dying they found a beautiful nursing home that could take both parents, keep them together, and still be near their old friends and church. They were WONDERFUL! 

PS- They have been there a year. They have both gained, much needed, weight and are going strong. Mom is 97!

I'm glad it worked for you. During my mom's last illness, I couldn't let her go home, my brother was actively using crack, the house was neglected, unhealthy and she couldn't get care at home. The hospital case manager helped me find several nursing homes, I went and looked at all of them, narrowed it down to 2. She went to one, 3 days later, she was back in the hospital, then the case worker helped me find a Hospice Home, she was discharged to it, never regained consciousness, and died less than 12 hours later. I cannot say enough about how wonderful the home was and how wonderful the Hospice workers were. When my friends asked about flowers for her funeral, I requested that they donate to the Hospice instead. It's been almost 9 years and I still miss her a great deal. And I suspect my brother is doing a recovery program. He hasn't said and I won't ask (an Al-Anon thing) but from things he says and does, I suspect he is. He's in another city and state.

• Love 5
19 hours ago, Ebonner228 said:

As a self-diagnosed sufferer of misophonia, I cannot stand the T-mobile/Netflix commercial. I can't get to the mute button fast enough. Why is this even allowed on TV?! 

Also I agree with all of you about the amazon commercial. Worst song ever. 

I cant stand that one ether!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, theredhead77 said:

I hate the Natalie Portman Dior commercial. I'd hate it less if it didn't show her shoving whoever the man in the relationship is.

I always try to imagine an ad like this where a MAN was doing the shoving, and how the viewers would like that.

• Love 8