Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, KLovestoShop said:

The new commercials for Arby's uses background music that obviously no one researched.  The song is entitled Time To Say Goodbye, and is a farewell to a loved one who's died.  Poor music choice to advertise a new sandwich. . 

The ad agencies choose from a catalog of available songs. It's not an involved process.

Any BMO Harris bank commercial. But especially the one with the kid in the bank office who keeps asking Why?  Why?  Why? I just want to smack her. (Sorry no child abuse here.) But just shut that kid up. And all the mom can say is "These are good questions."

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

Please, Pizza Hut. Pizza is not a verb so stop bragging that no one "out pizzas" the Hut! And Red Robin is just as bad with its "Let's burger!" commercials.

Seriously.  Also, please don't try to make HEALTHING a verb!  GAH!

• Love 3

BEST COMMERCIAL EVER even though they didn't do it on purpose.

Xfinity/Comcast is rolling out their "new experience" that includes being able to talk to your remote. Two commercials ran back to back on a local station, in the middle a batch of other commercials. They ran without sound

I almost like them.

• Love 4
22 hours ago, iMonrey said:

The iPhone 7 commercial with the horrible babysitter is a wrong turn on a cute concept. I liked the one with the little girl and the lemonade stand who had all sorts of hidden taxes and fees. That was fine, because the prospective customer was able to simply walk away. But the baby sitter who wants to charge extra for all the hidden fees has already done her job, and badly (the baby is lying in a pizza box, the little girl is cutting the dog's hair). Plus she went through the home-owner's things and is wearing the lady's shoes, then has the audacity to say "Yeah, we're the same size . . . in shoes." The last thing we see is her walking away happily, presumably having been paid the fee she requested.

Here's how that should have ended: with her walking out of the house with a big red handprint right across her snotty face. Now, I don't normally advocate for violence, but after snotting off to that woman about wearing the same size (but only in shoes) on top of having let the kids run amok and then expecting to be paid more than they agreed to, I don't expect her to walk out of there with the money she's asking for. 

I actually like that commercial. 

Of course she is being a snotty little brat.  I think the point is many of the mobile companies blatantly overcharge for poor service and they just don't care whether you like it or not. which is somewhat true. 

• Love 9
On 8/3/2017 at 5:18 PM, HipOldBat said:

Most icky ad in a long time is the Discover ad with the guy gagging over old sushi.  It makes me want to hurl.  Why did anyone think this would be a good idea??

I can't believe it not only was greenlit but then they filmed it!  I have a very sensitive gag reflex and that ad hits all the notes.

I hate that Red Baron now has the Baroness.  The change was unnecessary because the Red Baron was a real person, was he not?  So changing genders makes no sense.

I have now come to hate Applebee's because of the ad with the dude mansplaining the menu to his lady.  Dickhead.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Is that the one where the mom wipes up the spill backwards--like she's "pushing" it toward the iPhone instead of cutting it off at a spot on the counter that is between it and the phone. 

I comment about that every time I see the ad.

• Love 3

Maybe it's supposed to be suspenseful and exciting, haha! For those who don't get out (or clean up) much?

Also, that narrator sounds like she's saying "more chores parole." 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 6

I hate it because the "chores for dad" is taking out the trash, while "chores for mom" is doing the dishes. It's gender normative, and doing the dishes is a hell of a lot harder than taking out the damn trash. And thirdly, that kid's not going to be cleaning the fish tank; his mom will while that kid sits on the bed playing on his $600 iPad. Where's that commercial?

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 13
41 minutes ago, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe it's supposed to be suspenseful and exciting, haha! For those who don't get out (or clean up) much?

Also, that narrator sounds like she's saying "more chores parole." 

It took me a couple of times hearing this commercial to understand that it WASN'T chores parole!

• Love 2
3 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I hate it because the "chores for dad" is taking out the trash, while "chores for mom" is doing the dishes. It's gender normative, and doing the dishes is a hell of a lot harder than taking out the damn trash. And thirdly, that kid's not going to be cleaning the fish tank; his mom will while that kid sits on the bed playing on his $600 iPad. Where's that commercial?

Is this good enough?

I've never had a dishwasher that worked that well, and I use Cascade, even though it kills my ecoconscious soul. It does the best job of any I've tried. But yeah, you do need to rinse first.

Then again, I don't have a fancy Fisher & Paykel dishwasher/robot.

4 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I've never had a dishwasher that worked that well, and I use Cascade, even though it kills my ecoconscious soul. It does the best job of any I've tried. But yeah, you do need to rinse first.

Then again, I don't have a fancy Fisher & Paykel dishwasher/robot.

So what's the point of  having a dishwasher if you have to wash the dishes before you even use the dishwasher on them?

• Love 5

thanks guys, reading this thread, I got reminded that the trash can has to go to the street before I can go to bed. Thanks a lot!

Jacuzzi has a new ad that's getting on my nerves, they have a walk in bathtub for seniors, I could pretty much ignore it but the woman announcer is either on of the ladies from the watch dad's wrinkles fade away while we count down or she's copying their signature phrase, "riiiigggggtttttt now." I don't care which ad it's in, it's annoying.

And now I gotta go take the trash to the curb.

1 hour ago, legaleagle53 said:

So what's the point of  having a dishwasher if you have to wash the dishes before you even use the dishwasher on them?

Rinsing is not washing. Do you stand in a running shower for a couple seconds and then declare yourself clean?

• Love 12
On ‎08‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:08 AM, mojoween said:

I have now come to hate Applebee's because of the ad with the dude mansplaining the menu to his lady.  Dickhead.

I find that one hilarious, myself.

11 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Rinsing is not washing. Do you stand in a running shower for a couple seconds and then declare yourself clean?

Plus, not everything needs rinsed, but the things that do (especially tomato-based food), really do.

• Love 4
On 8/3/2017 at 2:18 PM, HipOldBat said:

Most icky ad in a long time is the Discover ad with the guy gagging over old sushi.  It makes me want to hurl.  Why did anyone think this would be a good idea??

I hate the gagging part, but isn't he basically going through other people's food in the office fridge to find something worth stealing? Serves him right!

• Love 3

Okay, I admit that I clicked on it to see if it was the "baked-on Alfredo" or "burnt-on gravy" version.  But I'm weird like that.

Yeah, I definitely get a "you men can't do anything right" vibe from it.

• Love 5

Two ads are getting on my nerves right now, one is fairly new for Jaccuzi walk in tubs. I don't care so much about the tubs, if that's your need, go for it, I'd rather have a walk in shower and maybe when the time comes, a seat to put in the shower. I've used hand held shower heads for most of my adult life, can't see using anything else. But the Jaccuzi ad, the lady doing it sounds like one of the screeching harridans who do the fake informercial where the do a countdown on the man using the wrinkle cream. It's the way they both say, "if you do it riiiiiiight now". But I haven't seen the wrinkle screechers since the Jaccuzi ad started so I can't tell. 

And then there's Been Verified, one lady says "these are strangers, strangers you never met..." Isn't the definition of a stranger, someone you've never met? And the other lady who start smirking about "me and my single girls..." AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG! I so want to red pen edit her script, "my single girlfriends and I..."

On a separate note, the Winter Olympics start in 6 months, saw the first ad for it during America's Got Talent. Actually, something I'm looking forward to.

• Love 2

I think I actually have a reverse peeve about dishwashers (and BFs who don't know how to load them) because, well, ours sucks (the dishawasher, not the man). It's very basic and requires a logic-puzzle-esque rearranging anyway, so why even be peeved out by my BFs "unique" technique?

Of course, now the peeve has transferred to the appliance itself.

Edited by TattleTeeny
Well, I was going to correct "dishawasher" but it made me laugh & think of the old very Italian neighbor lady we had when I was really little, so I left it. She used to scold me (I think; I couldn't understand her), then kiss my cheek & give me cookies
  • Love 10

I saw an ad for some cable TV service (I can't remember which one) which included home security, and it shows the home owner's kid coming home from school and tripping the alarm.  The security company calls the mom to let her know that the alarm is sounding, and she gets on her phone and checks the app to see that it's her kid who has come home, and she tells the security company, "It's fine."  Really?  And that's it?  What if it was a home invasion, and the guy is standing there with a gun to her head, telling her to tell the security people it's fine?  That's it?

• Love 5

I hate the ad for some sort of home monitoring where the lady is at a spa and in full Jersey she says "I'm going to need you nitwits to get off my lawn."  Everything about it is annoying.

• Love 5
14 hours ago, friendperidot said:

And the other lady who start smirking about "me and my single girls..." AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGG! I so want to red pen edit her script, "my single girlfriends and I..."

To be fair (having never seen the commercial), if she's saying 'me and my single girls do something', then you're right, but if she's saying 'something about me and my single girls', then she's right.

1 hour ago, OmegaX123 said:

To be fair (having never seen the commercial), if she's saying 'me and my single girls do something', then you're right, but if she's saying 'something about me and my single girls', then she's right.

No; one of the rules of grammar is that you put yourself last.

• Love 9
On 8/8/2017 at 3:03 PM, Matryoshka said:

I hate the gagging part, but isn't he basically going through other people's food in the office fridge to find something worth stealing? Serves him right!

Yeah, he was doing that - but oh, for someone who has an easily triggered gag reflex, I can't hit the remote fast enough!  I noticed today that they actually cut the whole sushi thing out of the ad, thankfully!!

• Love 4
19 hours ago, friendperidot said:

one is fairly new for Jaccuzi walk in tubs. I don't care so much about the tubs, if that's your need, go for it, I'd rather have a walk in shower and maybe when the time comes, a seat to put in the shower.

I've been told that for resale purposes on your home, a tub is required to qualify as a "bathroom."  If it only has a shower, it's a half-bath. I could be wrong, but it's worth investigating before any remodel. 

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, ennui said:

I've been told that for resale purposes on your home, a tub is required to qualify as a "bathroom."  If it only has a shower, it's a half-bath. I could be wrong, but it's worth investigating before any remodel. 

Depends on the state RE agency's rules. Some report a bath with just a shower as a 3/4 bath. Others as long as it has a toilet, sink, and shower is considered a full bath. A toilet and sink is a 1/2 bath.

• Love 7

If I have to see this damn movie commercial, or any of the other commercials for it again, I'm going to throw my TV out the window. This movie looks awful, putting the commercial on every 10 minutes is not going to make it better.

• Love 5

Yeah, there's a another child over there that's totally appropriate to steal!

No; one of the rules of grammar is that you put yourself last.

While I do tend to put "I" or "me" second or last, pronoun placement is a "rule" of etiquette and politeness, not grammar or usage. 

• Love 7
On ‎8‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 0:58 AM, legaleagle53 said:

My Mom used to drive me crazy doing that shit.

• Love 2

Peg Bracken, of the I Hate To Cook/Housekeep books fame, had an answer to that: "You have been watching spotless housekeepers at work." For the rest of us, she said (and this was in the 1960s), scraping off any large objects like a turkey carcass, plus maybe rinsing a plate if egg had been drying on it for days, was enough. Beyond that, she said, trust the machine and the special detergent. And if on rare occasions something emerges less than pristine, then wash it by hand, which is still better than pre-washing everything.

• Love 13
On 8/9/2017 at 1:45 PM, Silver Raven said:

I saw an ad for some cable TV service (I can't remember which one) which included home security, and it shows the home owner's kid coming home from school and tripping the alarm.  The security company calls the mom to let her know that the alarm is sounding, and she gets on her phone and checks the app to see that it's her kid who has come home, and she tells the security company, "It's fine."  Really?  And that's it?  What if it was a home invasion, and the guy is standing there with a gun to her head, telling her to tell the security people it's fine?  That's it?

I completely agree. My first thoughts were, they are supposed to use a code word to let the company know they are speaking to the home owner and not the burglar.  

• Love 4