Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

(edited)
1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

The channels I watch have Marie/Nutrisystem commercials on all the time.

Me, too, but the 5-minute commercials are unusual. I've only seen them on Hallmark, during Columbo.  There are a few of them, one with Kathy Levine (former QVC host), and the one this a.m. with the bullied woman. There was another yesterday, but I can't remember anything about it.

Btw, I know it's a 5-minute ad because it features a countdown timer in the corner. Maybe that's so people know they have 5 minutes to get a cup of coffee and visit the bathroom.

Edited by ennui
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, ennui said:

I like to watch Columbo in the a.m. I vaguely recall that the original Columbo stories were 90 minutes, and Hallmark has two hours blocked out. Why? So they can run 5 minute commercials for Nutrisystem. This a.m., one of the ladies in the commercial was crying because she was bullied for being a chubby child. The commercials are effective, but I wish they would buy their own infomercial time and stay out of Columbo.

I absolutely love Columbo, but I never seem to catch it during the week.  Those five minute commercials would drive me nuts, too!

• Love 2

Gah, Kym (of course she spells it Kym) the VitaSerum SeruVital "beauty expert" who manages to upspeak the word "beauty" even though it's in the middle of a sentence. The first voiceover is a mellow male voice, so I never remember what I'm in for until it's too late to hit the mute.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

People diagnosed with mesothelioma have many questions:

How did I get this disease? I've been living under a rock for the last 15 years.

What are my treatment options? Death.

What effect will this have on my loved ones? I hope you have life insurance.

Who can I sue? Everybody!

16 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I absolutely love Columbo, but I never seem to catch it during the week.  Those five minute commercials would drive me nuts, too!

My DH and I have recently become addicted to Columbo. Where we live it's on every weekday morning at 9:00 on Hallmark and there are two Sat. and Sun, at 4:00 pm on CoziTV. My husband said he wishes there was an all Columbo channel.

Oh and BTW there is a Marie/NutriSystem infomercial on as I type this. 

• Love 9
(edited)
On 7/9/2017 at 5:36 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

...Moving on to a commercial for (I believe, but not certain: a dating website)...some insane woman behind the wheel of her car SCREAMING "Brandon. Brendon, Braaandddonnn, Brennndonnn". I'm not looking for anyone's help in the dating world but IF I was....this would not be my go to website. ANNOYING/ IRRITATING/STUPID.

chenoa333 - I love that commercial! I think it's for anti-perspirant. She's got her arms positioned so the car A/C dries her off. And, yes, she's cuckoo. Makes me laugh :)

Edited by 7isBlue
Wonky quote attribution
  • Love 5
58 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm confused. 7isBlue's post is quoting me, yet I'm not the one that posted that. I'd have put a hyphen between go and to, i.e., go-to website. Whaaa?

Yeah, there's some wibbliness about quote attribution. See here

• Love 2
On 7/12/2017 at 9:33 AM, TXCiclista said:

The GMC Sierra commercial that asks if it's good enough to be a "decent person" or "good husband" (etc) and then responds "Of course not." No, you need to be a decent person "like a boss." I rage every. Single. Time.

OMG. SO much hate for this freakin' commercial.

• Love 3

I absolutely hate all the Subway commercials. They have upped their prices on all their sandwiches and they are now bombarding us with their commercials. They should put more meat in their sandwiches and when you ask for more tomatoes don't pick up 3 tomato slices, add 2, then put the other one back. That actually happened to me and I haven't been back. Unbelievably cheap and arrogant company. But they have money for their constant commercials with the smarmy and trying to be sexy voices.

• Love 4
32 minutes ago, rcc said:

I absolutely hate all the Subway commercials. They have upped their prices on all their sandwiches and they are now bombarding us with their commercials. They should put more meat in their sandwiches and when you ask for more tomatoes don't pick up 3 tomato slices, add 2, then put the other one back. That actually happened to me and I haven't been back. Unbelievably cheap and arrogant company. But they have money for their constant commercials with the smarmy and trying to be sexy voices.

Subway is atrocious.  I have found much better value at Wally World in the Deli case.  LOTS more meat for cheaper than Subway.  AND they don't use extruded chicken.  Sexy voices, though?  Are you thinking of the Arby's commercial with Ving?

37 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

Subway is atrocious.  I have found much better value at Wally World in the Deli case.  LOTS more meat for cheaper than Subway.  AND they don't use extruded chicken.  Sexy voices, though?  Are you thinking of the Arby's commercial with Ving?

No, there is one particular commercial about a wrap that has a woman trying to be sexy but she sounds like she used to be employed by a phone sex company. LOL Then the guy who is trying to be cool and smarmy on the other commercials. Instead of paying for commercials they should train their employees to make a better sandwich like Arby's for a fair price.

• Love 2

I'm watching some previously recorded DVR stuff and just saw the Boston Market commercial with the mother ordering food and then getting a crying call from her daughter about breaking up with her boyfriend and how her world is over.  Mom says to the guy behind the counter, "Better add a mac a cheese. A large." The guy behind the counter-- who cannot hear the phone call-- makes this stupid nodding face at her and then mom, makes this smug, arrogant shake-face thing that makes me want to break my tv. Afterward, mom and daughter are seen eating dinner on the couch and the daughter-- who can't be satisfied that mom bought her comfort food in her time of woe-- but just has to ask in a voice that put me off, "Did you get dessert?"

Omg, I hate that commercial. I used to like Boston Market but the portions there are tiny for what you pay. I'm not a big over-eater by any means, but even I would still be hungry after eating a meal there.

• Love 4

There is a commercial I've seen recently for one of those DNA kits where the woman says "everywhere I travelled people would ask my nationality and I would say Hispanic". And every time I see it I say through gritted teeth, "Hispanic.  Is. Not. A. Nationality."  

• Love 22
1 hour ago, Seelouis said:

There is a commercial I've seen recently for one of those DNA kits where the woman says "everywhere I travelled people would ask my nationality and I would say Hispanic". And every time I see it I say through gritted teeth, "Hispanic.  Is. Not. A. Nationality."  

Yeah. The answer they're looking for is "American". Probably because she's exhibiting one of the Ugly American Tourist stereotypes :)

• Love 12
On 7/13/2017 at 9:07 AM, TattleTeeny said:

Yeah, why do these people think that one's first credit score is permanent?

And why do they think that score was good to begin with? Nobody's first score is good; they don't have the track record for more than fair/average.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Dear Coca-Cola. Until you have unusual names on your bottles, hush with your "Names are Back" thing. Thank you from a girl who never finds her name on anything. 

Same here.  Not once have I seen my name on a tag, a locket or whatever, even when there are HUNDREDS of names there. *grumble*

• Love 6

Bart: Look at all this great stuff, Lis! [finds a vanity license plate rack] Cool...personalized plates! "Barclay"..."Barry"..."Bert"... "Bort"? Aw, come on. "Bort"?

Child: Mommy, mommy! Buy me a license plate.

Mother: No. Come along, Bort.

Man: Are you talking to me?

Mother: No, my son is also named Bort

• Love 11

I'm sure I'm not the only one, but I am so sick of pharmaceutical commercials implying you're just a wuss if you are suffering. As someone with a chronic disease I take it personally. I'm on meds, and my disease still dictates how I feel each day. There's not a damn thing I can do. The chemo anemia drug is one that basically says if you're tired from chemo anemia then turn the soaps off, get your useless lazy arse up outta your chair, get out of your Jammie's and bedroom shoes, and see your doc, Loser. Or those Lady Rogaine bitches. I find myself irrationally wishing the product would cause them to go permanently bald just because they're so obnoxious. 

• Love 9

I can't put my finger on it but for some reason this commercial just makes me angry.   Why is she walking out the door mumbling some kind of response without even looking at us?  Is her life so important or busy because she uses plant sweetener?  

On 7/17/2017 at 0:28 PM, Brattinella said:

Same here.  Not once have I seen my name on a tag, a locket or whatever, even when there are HUNDREDS of names there. *grumble*

My name ends with an i when it typically ends with a y, so I always found stuff with my name but it was always spelled wrong. 

• Love 3

If I ever find out any old friends looked me up to find me after checking me out on Been Verified, they are out of my life forever! That's one of their benefits they list. I understand in today's world not trusting strangers to date and people aren't introducing friends much any more and people want a way to find out about someone. But old friends, nope, they can search for me on FB, through high school alumni groups, but if they want to check out to find out if I've got any arrests, (nope, none) warrants, (nope, none), may still happen, how I am financially, (they'll be sorely disappointed), just no. And then there's the one woman who says, "me and my single girls", eeerrrrrggggghhhhhhhh! Anyone who seriously says to me, "me and _____" will get corrected that it "______ and I"!

• Love 2

I hate the Progressive "turning into your parents" commercials, especially the woman who yells about "turning the car around" when no one is in the back seat.  That just seems psychotic.

I pretty much hate all Progressive commercials, but inexplicably I don't mind Flo.

• Love 7
4 hours ago, HipOldBat said:

I hate the Progressive "turning into your parents" commercials, especially the woman who yells about "turning the car around" when no one is in the back seat.  That just seems psychotic.

I pretty much hate all Progressive commercials, but inexplicably I don't mind Flo.

I like the one where the dude is turning into his mom. I too hate vertical blinds. They belong in banks not in homes.

• Love 5

Well, they are the toilet paper that Mr. Whipple couldn't stop caressing back in the old days. It's always been a theme of theirs.

To be fair, Mr. Whipple did not "caress" the toilet paper. He battled unruly grocery store customers who insisted on squeezing the Charmin. Although at times, Mr. Whipple was caught squeezing the Charmin himself.

And now I've gone and made "squeezing the Charmin" a euphemism in my own mind. 

• Love 9
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I like the one where the dude is turning into his mom. I too hate vertical blinds. They belong in banks not in homes.

Hard to find another window covering for sliding glass doors, however. 

• Love 8