Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

I have 17 month old twins. They are always following me and picking everything up. I always make sure anything and everything is up out of their reach.  And I never have laundry soap or anything else on the floor where they can get it.  I actually watch them. What a novel concept, ad people! 

• Love 8

The Ring Floodlight 'Secure Pedicure' commercial.

A few things wrong about this commercial. 

#1 Call the police, Lady. Don't engage potential criminals.

#2 And for cripes sake, lighten up with the "buh bye" attitude. They might just get up close and personal with you when you are just out of camera range and explain why they don't like lip from smart-ass ladies. Better yet, see #1.

#3 Pedicure after business hours? Maybe, I guess.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I hear you, but this to me is company lawyers preventing lawsuits, or, at the least, pointing out potential hazards.

Not preventing lawsuits, changing the packaging - and advertising that change - in response to existing lawsuits.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

What does this bitch not understand about mashed. POTATOES? 

Don't worry. This trend using unpopular veggies to extend or mimic popular ones will die out like all previous fads. I'm a bit impressed, though, that Oprah spotted the opportunity and is riding the wave. As if a billionaire actually needs to do this.

• Love 4

So there's this Kia commercial where Christina Hendricks walks past a row of fancy luxury cars whose drivers are all opening their passenger doors for her and then she gets in a Kia all smugly. Ok, first of all, why are these drivers just randomly opening their doors. Were they summoned to pick a client up but they don't know who they're supposed to pick up? Are they super fancy taxis just hoping she'll pick them? Are they random men creepily trying to convince Christina to come with them? I want to know the logistics of this setup. Second of all, in absolutely no universe is a Kia a superior luxury car to a BMW/Audi/Mercedes. They're perfectly fine cars. They have a lot of cool features. But they lack the subtle differences in quality and features that make a car luxury and it somewhat annoys me that Kia thinks they can just show a shiny car and that's good enough to establish its luxury brand status.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

Green Giant is running a line of cauliflower masquerading as rice, now.  When did "yummy" ever get associated with cooked cauliflower?  Now raw cauliflower is a different matter.

I eat healthy & really like GG veggie tots but a lot of these  "healthy" versions are deceptive. like the granola & fiber bars have so much sugar you might as well just eat a candy bar 

• Love 4
On 10/14/2017 at 8:13 PM, Bastet said:

Not preventing lawsuits, changing the packaging - and advertising that change - in response to existing lawsuits.

Again?

First they were clear, and kids thought they were candy jars. Then they were orange, and Pinterest exploded with parents turning them into Halloween baskets.

Laundry detergent was plain boring white from the beginning; there's no reason it needs bright colors for the contents or the packaging now.

• Love 2

I am diabetic and I love the cauliflower rice - it's great for making fried rice - something I had had to give up and thought I would never get to enjoy again!  Same for the cauliflower mashed potatoes.

• Love 12

Personally, I sprinkle Romano cheese on raw cauliflower florets and then roast it at 425° for 25 minutes - turns out WAY better than the crap my mom used to serve that she called "cauliflower" - that formerly frozen stuff, boiled in water til all the taste was gone. Ick. No wonder people hate it. I cook Brussels sprouts the same way. Both vegetables are delicious roasted (and adorned with cheese!!!)

• Love 8
On ‎10‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 8:26 PM, chessiegal said:

I hear you, but this to me is company lawyers preventing lawsuits, or, at the least, pointing out potential hazards. I believe there are people who would be that oblivious/stupid.

Were. Several years ago, someone kid died after eating a Tide gel pack.

23 hours ago, Tunia said:

I saw those at the store this weekend and was intrigued, until I saw it was an Oprah product. No thanks!

Toyota has a new ad in their "Enjoy the Go!" campaign featuring fucked-up fairy tales. The newest one is a take on Cinderella getting a dress made with stuff her 'fairy mother" got from a hardware store. Cinderella should have been laughed off the stage when she made her entrance in that ridiculous getup!

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

I saw those at the store this weekend and was intrigued, until I saw it was an Oprah product. No thanks!

Toyota has a new ad in their "Enjoy the Go!" campaign featuring fucked-up fairy tales. The newest one is a take on Cinderella getting a dress made with stuff her 'fairy mother" got from a hardware store. Cinderella should have been laughed off the stage when she made her entrance in that ridiculous getup!

Seriously, that Cinderella bit just chaps my hide.  She looks ridiculous and NOT pretty!  And what is up with her and the other women's hair?  Is that the new style, just rolled out of bed?

• Love 2
22 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

So Toyota is using a toilet paper slogan now? o_O

• Love 7
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Personally, I sprinkle Romano cheese on raw cauliflower florets and then roast it at 425° for 25 minutes - turns out WAY better than the crap my mom used to serve that she called "cauliflower" - that formerly frozen stuff, boiled in water til all the taste was gone. Ick. No wonder people hate it. I cook Brussels sprouts the same way. Both vegetables are delicious roasted (and adorned with cheese!!!)

Thanks for the tip. I like caulifower anyway and this sounds good.

55 minutes ago, Ubiquitous said:

Ha! I thought "enjoy the go" was Charmin. Not very original, Toyota.

ETA, you beat me to the punch, @peacheslatour

Edited by SoSueMe
  • Love 3

Don't worry. This trend using unpopular veggies to extend or mimic popular ones will die out like all previous fads.

Maybe among people who tend to fall prey to fads and trends, dietary or otherwise? I don't know who those are but I do know enough people who've are surprised to see it "trendified"--it and (messy!) kale have just seemed to have always been there. 

Yes, well, we'll see how long this cauliflower trend lasts before we go on to the next "it" food. 

It'll never die at my house; it's glorious! I fall back on a pasta with roasted cauliflower recipe every two weeks or so, not because it's easy (though it is) but because it's so good. And Buffalo wings made of cauliflower. I did try the GG frozen cauliflower rice (because frozen vegetables are a godsend to me) and it was OK, but it's in some kind of seasoning that I wish hadn't been there. I got it because I felt too lazy to chop up a head of cauliflower, and the pre-chopped cauliflower rice tends to go bad much faster than an entire head of cauliflower. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ubiquitous said:

17 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

I don't understand why Cinderella's friends assemble her gown from merchandise bought at a hardware store. Was the theme of the fashion show "Make Yourself Look Like Tim Taylor Designed Your Gown?"

Thanks to streaming content, I've seen this commercial approximately 12 billion times. I've yet to figure out what a fashion show and a Project Runway-style "unconventional materials challenge!!?!?!!?!" have to do with a vehicle.

• Love 3

J. D. Power Award for "initial quality". Oh, so your car isn't awful upon immediately rolling out of the factory? Gold star for you.

Put out a commercial once it's been at least 3 years and we'll see how the quality is. Screw you, Chevrolet.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, peacheslatour said:

J. D. Power Award for "initial quality". Oh, so your car isn't awful upon immediately rolling out of the factory? Gold star for you.

According to JDP's web site, problems are counted over the first 90 days. This year, they gave 23 models an initial quality award, and are calling 27 "top ranked". I didn't check to see how much overlap there was, but I've noticed in the past that awards can be in pretty narrow categories or for improvement.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Put out a commercial once it's been at least 3 years and we'll see how the quality is. Screw you, Chevrolet.

JD Powers Awards are pretty much meaningless, are they not?

I keep forgetting to mention this ad for some sort of sports network called something like FUBAR with this long-haired douchebag dropping his towel in the locker-room as part of promoting their "big package". I hate him for some reason.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Um... aren't there labelling laws at play here? There's no mention of the cauliflower on the front. I'd assume it was potatoes plus whatever flavoring.

O! I never even noticed that. I wouldn't buy any frozen food products or any food  from Oprah. She's got enough money. And obviously, whatever she's eating isn't and hasn't kept the weight off of her. But I do think she looks good.

• Love 2
On 10/14/2017 at 6:57 PM, QuinnInND said:

I have 17 month old twins. They are always following me and picking everything up. I always make sure anything and everything is up out of their reach.  And I never have laundry soap or anything else on the floor where they can get it.  I actually watch them. What a novel concept, ad people! 

I can be quite a slob, and have a lot of things in my home that aren't where they ought to be, but I do not understand how laundry detergent would end up where a baby could reach them.  If I recall the commercial, she's standing in her laundry room.  Like, don't you just put the laundry soap in the washing machine and then put it back on the shelf?  Putting it on the floor is more work.  It would make more sense if they showed her having just come back from the laundromat or something.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Um... aren't there labelling laws at play here? There's no mention of the cauliflower on the front. I'd assume it was potatoes plus whatever flavoring.

Underneath "ORIGINAL MASHED POTATOES" it says, in cursive white lettering, "with a touch of cauliflower."  So, appparently, the dish IS mashed potatoes AND cauliflower (?)  I have a feeling their "touch" of cauliflower is like the "touch" of cocoa in a jar of Nutella, if not greater.

• Love 2

I did the cauliflower rice thing for a while then decided that it was too much work and (a small amount of) brown rice is good for you anyway.  I do concur with the roasted cauliflower though.  Delicious.

So is Oprah's new stuff not Weight Watchers?  Is she branching out and competing with her own company?

On 10/15/2017 at 7:26 PM, Ohwell said:

Are they trying to make cauliflower a "thing" now, like they did with kale?  

Kale is a thing alright, a thing you toss out before having real food.

On 10/16/2017 at 9:02 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

...the crap my mom used to serve that she called "cauliflower" - that formerly frozen stuff, boiled in water til all the taste was gone.

Wait, did we grow up with the same mother?

• Love 9

I was looking to see if there was a thread for Commercials that just made you laugh--like snarking on them because they're so ridiculous. But I didn't see one, so I'm putting it here, because I guess it could irritate some people. It's the one for microblade shavers for men or something like that. I see it as the "epilady" err, or should I say "epiman" for men! It's a shaver! BUT! No need to wash your face! Or use shaving cream! You can DRY SHAVE your FACE! Turn your bushy beard in a neat goatee! You can even SHAVE YOUR CHEST HAIR WITH NO PAIN! And reveal a niiiice smooth musculature. I swear, the two white models they have using this blade look like they're frozen and afraid they'll cut their faces and will start bleeding or something. Botoxed frozen smiles! I just normally fast forward, but if I happen to be watching live and it comes on, I just roll my eyes and laugh. Not because it's funny, but because it's so ridiculous. It's just like women showing us how smooth your legs will be, no pain, while they rotate the epilady over legs that are already smooth! Of course these men's faces aren't smooth--they appear to have beards and chest hair, but in this day of CGI, who can tell?