Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, Jamoche said:

They still exist. They're expensive and have to be replaced more often, but having had freeway blowouts on both kinds, I'll take runflats. I didn't even know I'd demolished the runflat until the insurance adjuster reported the damage. Some people think they don't handle as well, but I've got a Mini Cooper JCW - as sporty as a Mini can get - and I have no complaints.

Apparently they're still standard on Corvettes, which made a big splash being the first to announce switching over. Everyone else seems to have decided a spray can of rubber will suffice to eliminate a spare. Experience says it's worthless if you can't pull over right away (the sidewalls are ruined).

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I hate that Kellogg's Special K "We Eat" commercial aimed at women.  I guess it's supposed to be some feminist crap but it's just stupid. 

I didn't mind it so much until someone here reminded me that after the holidays it will be Special K commercials body shaming women into losing weight.

• Love 10

I wouldn't call it body shaming to recommend ways to lose weight, such as trying different foods and exercises.  It's up to the person to decide if she (or he) wants to do it.  

My issue with the We Eat commercial is that I just roll my eyes because duh, of course we eat.  Aaand, by the way so do men.  So what's the big deal?  It's just stupid.

• Love 8

It sucks that when a woman-positive commercial does come around trying to break the mold or cycle of stereotypical sexism, it is usually kind of stupid in another way! And it also sucks that now, in 2017, we are still surprised (even if it's pleasantly) when we're shown men in childcare/homemaker roles--like the Swiffer ones with non-bumbling dads calmly and efficiently cleaning up kid messes. Like, on one hand, good for them, but on the other, it should be a norm by now! Reminds me of the mixed emotions when Barack Obama took office--feeling proud of the progress of finally having a black man as president...but then feeling like the basis of that pride also illustrates just how long it took. The excitement and pride imply a newness to s situation, which is good generally. But then you think, "Holy hell, this should not be new to us."

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 12

Really? I legit LOL'd at her rocking in a chair as an example of the "better" things she has to do than make chicken! But don't listen to me; I once laughed at something the dumb Sonic guy said. 

Ugh, the Senekot commercial I just saw is horrid--from the man mispronouncing the not-difficult name while being weirdly excited to see a product of which he'd clearly never heard or known the purpose...to his wife gently correcting him (like, why even waste time with that part...to the strange conversation the two then have about it--somehow overly familiar (even for a couple) yet oddly formal.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

I only like that commercial because the actress was on Roseanne once and played a waitress in a really poignant scene.

Yep, and she was also in a very funny episode of Major Crimes this past season, so I like her, too.  Plus, "Millennials, am I right?" makes me laugh regardless.

• Love 5

Brand new to this forum, so forgive if I'm redundant.  My stabby ad of the moment is the Allstate ad with the dad driving and complaining out loud to himself, that his family is on their devices and ignoring him.  He's proud that he has saved enough money being a safe driver to get a rebate, which he hides from his wife and buys golf clubs.  

So, how nice that we give you some of your hard-earned cash back, so you can hide it from your wife.  Out of spite.

Excellent.

• Love 5
On 10/17/2017 at 9:19 AM, Moose135 said:

Kale is a thing alright, a thing you toss out before having real food.

But before you do - 

kale meme.jpg

On 10/17/2017 at 9:19 AM, Moose135 said:

Wait, did we grow up with the same mother?

Are we siblings?  Why wasn't I told?  I grew up thinking that vegetables grew in grocery store freezers.

• Love 6
On 10/18/2017 at 0:20 PM, mmecorday said:

WTF is Houzz? The commercials make it look like it's a website that will help a consumer with home renovations, but it also looks like it's a DIY show like you'd see on HGTV.

It's an all-encompassing website with DIY tips, decorating tips and they sell home products.  I'm probably leaving stuff out, but basically, that's it.

On 10/13/2017 at 1:44 PM, missmansfield said:

Hate hate HATE the Geico commercial with the referee in the restaurant.  Why do these idiots think these kind of commercials will sell anything.  Geico commercials just get worse and worse.

Ack!!

• Love 1
On 10/13/2017 at 1:44 PM, missmansfield said:

Hate hate HATE the Geico commercial with the referee in the restaurant.  Why do these idiots think these kind of commercials will sell anything.  Geico commercials just get worse and worse.

Except, I'm currently still giggling at this one - 

On 10/14/2017 at 4:48 PM, Spartan Girl said:

That was the Little Caesars commercial plugging their "bestest" pizza, and I hate that commercial too. That poor dad.

woefully inadequate at parenting

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 6

I don't like the Cheerios ads. The song is "The Good Goes Around". I'm not sure why it irritates me so much. The singer has a nice voice and I like the product so that's not the problem. The first 12 times I saw it were okay, but now I can't grab the remote fast enough to get away from this commercial. It's oooverkill on the Ooooo's.

• Love 5
On 10/16/2017 at 11:06 AM, Ubiquitous said:

Toyota has a new ad in their "Enjoy the Go!" campaign featuring fucked-up fairy tales.

Sounds very much like the Charmin ass-wiping bears campaign.

On 10/16/2017 at 11:29 AM, peacheslatour said:

So Toyota is using a toilet paper slogan now? o_O

Oops!  PBR disease. (posted before reading).  GMTA

• Love 3
On 10/16/2017 at 0:25 PM, TattleTeeny said:

Maybe among people who tend to fall prey to fads and trends, dietary or otherwise? I don't know who those are but I do know enough people who've are surprised to see it "trendified"--it and (messy!) kale have just seemed to have always been there. 

It'll never die at my house; it's glorious! I fall back on a pasta with roasted cauliflower recipe every two weeks or so, not because it's easy (though it is) but because it's so good. And Buffalo wings made of cauliflower. I did try the GG frozen cauliflower rice (because frozen vegetables are a godsend to me) and it was OK, but it's in some kind of seasoning that I wish hadn't been there. I got it because I felt too lazy to chop up a head of cauliflower, and the pre-chopped cauliflower rice tends to go bad much faster than an entire head of cauliflower. 

Cauliflower is a twice-a-week event in our house.  I have a hubs who will only eat veggies starting with the letter 'C'.  Not really, but cauliflower, corn, cabbage (note the lack of green) are the least objectionable for him.

On 10/5/2017 at 7:29 AM, smittykins said:

That reminds me of the Sucrets commercial from the 70s with the man waking up his wife in the middle of the night whining that “I can’t sleep with this cold,” and she says, “All right, I’ll get the aspirin and Sucrets.”

”Aspirin?  And Sucrets?” he asks dumbly, as if he’s never heard of either of them before, and she patiently explains that the aspirin is for his aches and fever, and Sucrets for his sore throat.  In the final scene, he’s out like a light and she’s playing solitaire, saying “I’m glad one of us can sleep!”  I would have told him to get it his damn self!

Holy flashback!  I remember these ads very well. 

Edited by SuprSuprElevated
  • Love 2
On 9/28/2017 at 8:50 AM, GHScorpiosRule said:

That commercial irritates me to no end. Especially since that poor dog looks so sad and it's clear to me he/she doesn't want to be a "lion." And for what it's worth, babies love doggies, if the numerous videos of them playing, laughing, sleeping with big dogs that fill my Face Book feed is any indication.

I'll just say that's one very good trained dog, who can emote so well and show it's miserable.

I'm on an island.  That commercial get me to sniffin'.

On 9/30/2017 at 4:41 PM, Ohwell said:

I hate it too.  She comes off as one crazy bitch.

Art imitating life?

• Love 2
6 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Really? I legit LOL'd at her rocking in a chair as an example of the "better" things she has to do than make chicken! But don't listen to me; I once laughed at something the dumb Sonic guy said. 

It's not the actress, I think it's McDonald's using "Just like Grandma used to make" as a selling point for those raggedy-ass chicken tenders that irritates me lol

• Love 4
On 10/1/2017 at 2:43 PM, Jamoche said:

So why would you bother with mailing in your poop?

Many folks (read men) won't go get a colonoscopy, but they might just put a smear on a card and throw it in the mailbox.  It's a case of sumthin's better than nuthin'.  One of the most treatable cancers when caught early.

<climbs down from soapbox>

• Love 6

Not to defend men, because hi, have you met me, I was having/do have gastro issues and the GI doc wanted me to have a colonoscopy. I politely declined and found that a proper dose of probiotics and fiber helped. I'm not getting my pipes snaked until I'm forced to in another decade or so. Gyno exams are bad enough. I'm overdue on that, as well.

• Love 8

I had to have those gastro tests in a hospital over 5yrs ago due to pain I was having. I aspirated during them, was in an induced coma for a week, a specialty hospital for 3 weeks (barely any therapy whatsoever) and then a nursing home. I was at the nursing home for 3 months where I received physical and occupational therapy and had to learn to walk again. I'd happily be scanned or send my poop in to some place before getting snaked again as bilgistic put it. Then due to a UTI not being treated properly in the nursing home I ended up in the hospital for two weeks not long after I got out of the home due to urinary sepsis. 

This commercial for A&E's newest Biography subject is driving me crazy. I know what she went through is awful. This commercial doesn't make me want to watch yet another show about her ordeal though. I think the version they show on A&E on TV is longer though. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 6

Some people can't have colonoscopies, and many doctors are moving away from recommending them as a routine screening procedure for those with no symptoms of/risk factors for colo-rectal cancer, feeling the risks of the procedure are not justified in someone who there's no reason to suspect has the disease.    Now, why the fecal test is being advertised to consumers rather than recommended to them by their doctors is the same question we ask of drug ads, but "why wouldn't you just have a colonoscopy?" has several different potential answers other than "because I don't want something shoved up my ass." 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Now, why the fecal test is being advertised to consumers rather than recommended to them by their doctors is the same question we ask of drug ads, but "why wouldn't you just have a colonoscopy?" has several different potential answers other than "because I don't want something shoved up my ass." 

I realize it's addressing a serious issue, but I found myself laughing to this. You said it so funny! Probably someone out there is kinky enough to like getting a colonoscopy. It's not on my list of things I want to do. Mailing a sample is wayyy easier.

This reminds me of those catheter ads aired in the overnights. Their happy sales pitch is so good that I found myself thinking what a good idea. Um, I don't need it. 

• Love 3

Have you seen the newest ads for the Turbo Soul Kia? It starts with a baby hamster running away from the hospital nursery and hospital attendants chasing it. Baby hamster goes to the roof and jumps off the side of the building and blanket parachutes its way down to a racing vehicle with other hamsters. Why why why? The lyrics playing are "I don't wanna live forever..." Huh? 

• Love 3

Re. the "make America sober again" ad, I can't see it well enough on my computer screen to verify, but I saw it last night on my TV and think the fine print at the end says it's from the Addiction Network folks.  So they already have their "regular" ads, and then made this second one to appeal to a certain segment of society.  Gross.

• Love 5

Some people can't have colonoscopies,

I tried, I really did. Doc came to the conclusion scar tissue from the spine surgery decades ago is adhering to my "pipes," making them rigid at one point and the scope couldn't bend around the corner...so I ended up having to prep all over again for a barium enema the following week. From now on, I'll be happy to send a poopy card off to the lab, thank you.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

This reminds me of those catheter ads aired in the overnights. Their happy sales pitch is so good that I found myself thinking what a good idea. Um, I don't need it. 

Was it the Catheter Cowboy, He's been cowboyin' for 20 years, you know! How the hell old was he when he began cowboyin' anyway?

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
18 hours ago, Haleth said:

I didn't mind it so much until someone here reminded me that after the holidays it will be Special K commercials body shaming women into losing weight.

This commercial is promoting weight loss by claiming women eat but only diet foods. You don't see commercials with women saying we eat pizza or burgers. Another ad is the latest for Fiber One. A woman is hiding in a she shed eating a fiber One cheesecake bar rather than an actual piece of cheesecake.

• Love 9
6 hours ago, Mollysmom said:

Was America ever sober? I absolutely hate this commercial. 

Whoa. I don't get that one, I get one about how terrible it is that so many artists have ODed, and... well, by that point I've tuned it out.

• Love 2

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wTgJ/xfinity-xfi-dinnertime-with-xfinity-xfi

Okay, I get that families should spend more time bonding with each other, I actually agree that devices really don't need to be at the dinner table. But this "mom" strikes me as so obnoxious that when she "pauses" everyone and asks how they're doing, I would love one of the family to answer, "well, actually I am kind of pissed."  There must be a less ill-mannered way getting the gadgets turned off. 

Edited by SoSueMe
forgot to include link
  • Love 8
11 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

This commercial is promoting weight loss by claiming women eat but only diet foods. You don't see commercials with women saying we eat pizza or burgers. Another ad is the latest for Fiber One. A woman is hiding in a she shed eating a fiber One cheesecake bar rather than an actual piece of cheesecake.

I hate this commercial. I'm not eating fake cheesecake and the diet food industry can fuck off for shilling a product to women so they can feel like they are "indulging" by eating that fake crap.

• Love 19
On 10/20/2017 at 4:59 PM, Ohwell said:

I hate that Kellogg's Special K "We Eat" commercial aimed at women.  I guess it's supposed to be some feminist crap but it's just stupid. 

On 10/21/2017 at 5:50 AM, Haleth said:

13 hours ago, kathyk24 said:

What annoys me about it is how defensive the women sound about eating, as if they'd been caught doing something definitely wrong and they're in "Yeah, well... so what?" mode. It's less owning it and more excusing it, or at least that's how it comes off to me. And all this over diet foods.

Ladies -- go for the cheeseburger. And you don't need to justify it to anybody.

• Love 19
18 hours ago, Bastet said:

Re. the "make America sober again" ad, I can't see it well enough on my computer screen to verify, but I saw it last night on my TV and think the fine print at the end says it's from the Addiction Network folks.  So they already have their "regular" ads, and then made this second one to appeal to a certain segment of society.  Gross.

I haven't seen this new ad yet, but the ad they've shown for a long time now confused me the first few times I saw it. That guy says, "we're the addiction network". It sounds like they have a new TV network channel for addicts. I remember thinking HBO was sort of the meth channel already. 

16 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Was it the Catheter Cowboy, He's been cowboyin' for 20 years, you know! How the hell old was he when he began cowboyin' anyway?

I remember Cowboy. There's another with a woman, too, where she doesn't have time for a bad catheter. 

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, CoderLady said:

What annoys me about it is how defensive the women sound about eating, as if they'd been caught doing something definitely wrong and they're in "Yeah, well... so what?" mode. It's less owning it and more excusing it, or at least that's how it comes off to me. And all this over diet foods.

Ladies -- go for the cheeseburger. And you don't need to justify it to anybody.

And have dessert after the cheeseburger. Don't split the dessert.

• Love 9
19 hours ago, TexasTiffany said:

I realize it's addressing a serious issue, but I found myself laughing to this. You said it so funny! Probably someone out there is kinky enough to like getting a colonoscopy.

Except that the "enjoyment" factor is somewhat reduced by the fact that the patient is completely unconscious during the entire procedure and doesn't feel a thing during it or remember anything about it afterwards.

I had my first colonoscopy two years ago, and it was no big deal.  What most people hate is not the procedure itself but the preparation for it -- but in my case, even that wasn't so bad.  I just had to take the prep solution to clear myself out (which to me tasted like lemon-flavored Alka-Seltzer), temporarily follow a strict diet of clear liquids (which ended as soon as the procedure was completed), and live on the toilet for about three hours while the prep solution did its thing.  Fortunately, my boss was experienced with the procedure and insisted that I take a couple of days off in order for the process to go as smoothly as possible -- I was back at work the day afterwards, no harm done (and with an invitation to attend the next colonoscopy sometime in 2025!).

• Love 6

Okay, I just LOATHE this Tide commercial where the oblivious-acting mom has her baby on the floor, with the laundry basket, AND with the bag of Tide Pods.  She sees the baby with the Tide Pods and goes "Ooh!" and grabs it away.  C'mon, lady... you KNEW your toddler was down there.  The poison Tide Pods didn't magically appear in your kid's hand!  How is it NOT on the shelf over the dryer??  GAH!

I'm a pediatrician, and I really appreciate this commercial. I get calls all the time about all kinds of ingestions. People have no idea what is potentially lethal and what is no big deal. I'm grateful that the laundry companies are saying "THIS, is a bad thing for your kids to get hold of, keep it away from them"

• Love 9