Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

14 hours ago, friendperidot said:

...I just hate the commercials that prey on stupid people.

That would be every commercial ever made.

6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, I don't buy that tobacco has a responsible use.

Tobacco plants can repel some insects if planted in one's garden (my grandfather kept a few in his garden for that reason). The also have a pleasant smell, which is probably why people started fiddling with them in the first place. Tobacco leaves were used historically as a pain killer and inflammation poultice.

Smoking tobacco used to be used in enemas as a means to resuscitate drowning victims. It was used as a component of inhaled cold treatments. There are also religious and ceremonial uses in some Native American tribes.

Nicotine can be used as insecticide, and has been for hundreds (if not thousands) of years. It's available prepackaged, or you can make it yourself.

• Love 8

Commercials for that crazy ass Scientology supposed drug "treatment" organization Narconon have started airing here. The one I saw was in-between commercial breaks during the local news.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Tunia said:

Have to add this one because it doesn't seem to me that wearing one's shirt untucked will suddenly "bring about common ground" and erase years of hurt feelings, misunderstandings or perhaps even downright abuse between an estranged father and son. Who wrote this garbage?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wMPh/untuckit-find-common-ground

I just logged on to bitch about this commercial. The whole untuckit thing bugs me, always has, but this one really enrages me. I know in the grand scheme of things it is pretty trivial, but it just pushes my buttons.

• Love 6

I have so many, where to begin... I loathe (looooathe) the Philadelphia cream cheese with the female singer who sings "spread a little love today" like she's gargling her saliva while trying to sing. I could punch my TV when that comes on.  That darned Cheerios 'good goes around' - - Bam! Pow! There goes the poor TV again... and OMG if they show that darned Seravital commercial with the zombie plastic surgery doctors, I'm gonna scream!!!  The one doctor tries to smile and here eyes just blop out and her face stays the same!

• Love 9
6 hours ago, DawgMom said:

I loathe (looooathe) the Philadelphia cream cheese with the female singer who sings "spread a little love today" like she's gargling her saliva while trying to sing. I could punch my TV when that comes on. 

OMG!  My ears bleed!  WHY would she choose to sing that way?  Don't even try to say that's NOT an affectation!

• Love 1
12 hours ago, DawgMom said:

I have so many, where to begin... I loathe (looooathe) the Philadelphia cream cheese with the female singer who sings "spread a little love today" like she's gargling her saliva while trying to sing.

It annoys me that she turns 2 syllable "my way" into 3 syllables so it sounds like "my highway."

• Love 2
16 hours ago, DawgMom said:

\OMG if they show that darned Seravital commercial with the zombie plastic surgery doctors, I'm gonna scream!!!  The one doctor tries to smile and here eyes just blop out and her face stays the same!

I hate that "as a doctor...and a woman" lady.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, DawgMom said:

OMG if they show that darned Seravital commercial with the zombie plastic surgery doctors, I'm gonna scream!!!  The one doctor tries to smile and here eyes just blop out and her face stays the same!

2 hours ago, janie jones said:

I hate that "as a doctor...and a woman" lady.

Awful. It's like the muscles around her mouth are frozen making her inflection flat and the comments not well articulated. I don't like the blonde hostess*, either, with her squeaky nasally voice. Get some voice training if you want to be a spokesperson.

*Are we supposed to know this dame? Never heard of her but I'm guessing  she's one of those "lifestyle experts" that appear on all the AM talk shows.

• Love 7
3 minutes ago, SCS said:

Awful. It's like the muscles around her mouth are frozen making her inflection flat and the comments not well articulated. I don't like the blonde hostess*, either, with her squeaky nasally voice. Get some voice training if you want to be a spokesperson.

*Are we supposed to know this dame? Never heard of her but I'm guessing  she's one of those "lifestyle experts" that appear on all the AM talk shows.

I think she's on QVC or one of the other Home Shilling shows.

• Love 2
On 11/30/2017 at 11:47 PM, Tunia said:

Have to add this one because it doesn't seem to me that wearing one's shirt untucked will suddenly "bring about common ground" and erase years of hurt feelings, misunderstandings or perhaps even downright abuse between an estranged father and son. Who wrote this garbage?

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wMPh/untuckit-find-common-ground

I don't like the commercial but I think the Dad is a silver fox though.

• Love 3

Isn't it time for Toyota Jan to retire? 

And take Flo and the gecko with her?

This couldn't be more annoying to me

How about that stupid idiot who is currently shilling for Verizon? He has a very punchable face, he is not as cool or hip as he thinks he is, & you wouldn't want to be around him or have your kids around him. Thank god this jerk isn't doing Verizon Fios commercials. He would be perfect for Comcast. They both have something in common in that they both suck. 

That Dos Equis loser can also disappear right now. There is nothing to like about him, that stupid Dos Equis beer, or their stupid irritating commercials. They both suck & the only interesting thing about that guy is that he is a definite tool & a douchebag. 

I also wouldn't mind that stupid Energizer Bunny to retire & never to be seen or heard from again. I never find him cute or adorable. 

Edited by Magog
  • Love 11

The new IPad Pro commercial makes me feel very old.  I don't mind the little girl riding around the city with her tablet, but the last line has me shaking my head.  "What's a computer?" 

Sincerely asking: I know a lot of people use their smartphone as their PC, but are actual computers obsolete?  I thought they had one (or a laptop) in nearly every classroom.  It would have been different if she'd said "What computer?" versus what she actually said.

• Love 14
47 minutes ago, Amethyst said:

The new IPad Pro commercial makes me feel very old.  I don't mind the little girl riding around the city with her tablet, but the last line has me shaking my head.  "What's a computer?" 

Same! First time I heard that I was like, "Oh, god, things really have advanced technologically in recent years, haven't they?"

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Amethyst said:

Sincerely asking: I know a lot of people use their smartphone as their PC, but are actual computers obsolete?  I thought they had one (or a laptop) in nearly every classroom.  It would have been different if she'd said "What computer?" versus what she actually said.

It's my understanding that they're called Chromebooks (that's what they have) in the school. I think my kids would know that they're laptops since I'm always on mine. But I honestly don't think they would call my laptop a computer, though I would use the words interchangeably. 

Clearly the kid has never watched Star Trek. They say computer all the time.

• Love 2

It's one thing to not call laptops computers, and it's another thing entirely not to know what a computer is.  I don't buy a teenager not knowing what a computer is.  Do schools not have "computer labs" anymore?  Has she never been around someone referring to the "computers" in new cars? 

And anyway, in the iPad commercial, if she really were ignorant of computers, her response to the neighbor would have been "My what?" not "What's a computer?"

• Love 17
2 hours ago, janie jones said:

It's one thing to not call laptops computers, and it's another thing entirely not to know what a computer is.  I don't buy a teenager not knowing what a computer is.

She's lucky my mom wasn't her neighbor. "Don't you pretend to not know what I am talking about!"

• Love 18

Have to add this one because it doesn't seem to me that wearing one's shirt untucked will suddenly "bring about common ground" and erase years of hurt feelings, misunderstandings or perhaps even downright abuse between an estranged father and son.

Uh, yeah - if father and son are estranged due to the fact that dad demands his son tuck his shirt in at all times, I'd say their problems go deeper than fashion choices.

I guess I don't understand the concept of $2000 cash back when you buy a car. Is it just that they jack up the price by $2000 and then act like they're giving you $2000 back?

• Love 6
On 12/1/2017 at 6:06 PM, kirinan said:

The first time this commercial came out, I thought it was a little cute. Every subsequent time, I want to throw the nearest heavy thing at my TV. And THEY PLAY IT 90,000 TIMES A DAY.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wyif/discover-card-cashback-match-freak-out-let-it-go

This ad irritated me from the very first time I saw it.  Not sure why it evokes such a visceral reaction out of me, but I get angry when it comes on.  Maybe it's because the woman is so loud, maybe it's because she is so over-the-top.  Ugh.

• Love 5

So glad I don't go to bars...

If you've seen or heard the phrase "Dilly Dilly" at your local pub or on social media in the last few weeks, you can thank Bud Light for turning the phrase into a cultural phenomenon.

http://www.sfgate.com/technology/businessinsider/article/What-Dilly-Dilly-means-and-how-Bud-Light-12401983.php

"Thank" is not the word I would use, but according to that article it's a hit. Around here it's a dive for the mute.

• Love 3

The commercial for some prescription skin clearing drug, part of which features a woman at her wedding, dancing with her father. The part the makes me stabby is the part where they show her standing on her father's feet as they're dancing. Which is cute when the kids are small. Not so much when you're grown. I keep thinking that a 130lb woman standing on my feet wouldn't elicit a smile. I know it's supposed to give me warm fuzzies, but all I can think about is poor dad being crippled up the next day because of her standing on his feet. 

• Love 14
On 12/4/2017 at 9:48 PM, Amethyst said:

I want to smack that kid in the head after that line at the end. I feel bad for thinking that girl was a boy this whole time until I watched the commercial online and saw earrings. I also kept wondering why a kid that young was riding around town on their bike because she didn't look like a teenager to me.       

• Love 9
8 hours ago, Jamoche said:

If you've seen or heard the phrase "Dilly Dilly" at your local pub or on social media in the last few weeks, you can thank Bud Light for turning the phrase into a cultural phenomenon.

I still laugh at the Dilly Dilly commercials since I know a guy who looks and sounds exactly like Doug, the guy that brings the mead wine (or whatever) and ends up in the Pit of Misery.  (Coincidentally his name is Doug too.)  Nice guy, but awfully pretentious.  But "dilly dilly" has been around for centuries.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Jaded said:

I want to smack that kid in the head after that line at the end. I feel bad for thinking that girl was a boy this whole time until I watched the commercial online and saw earrings. I also kept wondering why a kid that young was riding around town on their bike because she didn't look like a teenager to me.       

I thought it was a boy, too.  I also wanted to smack her upside the head because I thought that she knew what a computer is and was just being a little smartass. 

• Love 5
23 hours ago, janie jones said:

It's one thing to not call laptops computers, and it's another thing entirely not to know what a computer is.  I don't buy a teenager not knowing what a computer is.  Do schools not have "computer labs" anymore?  Has she never been around someone referring to the "computers" in new cars? 

And anyway, in the iPad commercial, if she really were ignorant of computers, her response to the neighbor would have been "My what?" not "What's a computer?"

I think the girl should have known what the neighbor was trying to ask, so an even more likely response would have been something like "this is my iPad, and I'm...", so the writer missed a chance to name-drop the product. But, yeah, the girl would have to be pretty dumb not to know that "computer" is a generic term for a lot of different things, including what she was using.

• Love 8

Outright enrage:

The Chili's all-purpose campaign with the insipid, off-key singing.  Example:

Go to youtube and read the comments.   I am not alone in my loathing.   

A couple weeks ago I was streaming Supernatural on the CW website, and the spot above was repeated every commercial break, in tandem with that uber-awful Toyota ad that features the Queen song "Thrill."  

The fact that I did not end my existence that night is a testament to my personal strength.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, millennium said:

Outright enrage:

The Chili's all-purpose campaign with the insipid, off-key singing.  Example:

Go to youtube and read the comments.   I am not alone in my loathing.   

A couple weeks ago I was streaming Supernatural on the CW website, and the spot above was repeated every commercial break, in tandem with that uber-awful Toyota ad that features the Queen song "Thrill."  

The fact that I did not end my existence that night is a testament to my personal strength.

Truly, you are made of stern stuff.

• Love 6
On 12/5/2017 at 1:06 PM, janie jones said:

My second-grader goes to a solidly middle-class elementary school, and they have a computer lab. He knows what a computer is. Maybe some of the more affluent schools in the district have switched every piece of technology in their buildings over to mobile devices, but I doubt it. So if she truly doesn't know what a computer is, she just comes across as an overprivileged idiot.

• Love 15
On 12/5/2017 at 10:06 AM, janie jones said:

Do schools not have "computer labs" anymore? 

Apparently not, or if so not for all kids - a co-worker went to help with a kid's coding event and none of them knew how to use a mouse or regular keyboard. They expected to have touchscreens everywhere. And this is Silicon Valley.

• Love 1
On 12/3/2017 at 9:33 AM, SoSueMe said:

SimpliSafe

This has probably been discussed to death but I just saw the commercial again and it ticked me off anew. Like , lady, call 911, you idiot. The comments at the bottom of this link seem to agree and also point out the irony of the wait time for SimpliSafe averaging 5 minutes.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wtHp/simplisafe-stuck-on-hold

How do we know she hasn't called 911? Maybe the police are on the way, or have been there and left, and now she wants a home security system to hopefully prevent this from ever happening again.  Honestly, it did not occur to me for a minute that she hadn't already called the police.

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Jamoche said:

Apparently not, or if so not for all kids - a co-worker went to help with a kid's coding event and none of them knew how to use a mouse or regular keyboard. They expected to have touchscreens everywhere. And this is Silicon Valley.

I'm thinking it's because it's Silicon Valley.  There is probably a lot of early adoption there, and a lot of "out with the old in with the new."

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 2
29 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

How do we know she hasn't called 911? Maybe the police are on the way, or have been there and left, and now she wants a home security system to hopefully prevent this from ever happening again.  Honestly, it did not occur to me for a minute that she hadn't already called the police.

We don't know. But she says "we were just robbed" and the house looks tossed. You may be right, it just really hits me funny. It was the first thing that occurred to me.

• Love 2

I just watched it because the discussion got me curious, and they haven't even picked stuff up off the floor yet, nor is there fingerprint dust anywhere, so she may not have called the alarm company before the police, but she sure didn't wait long to call.  Personally, even if I was going to buy a home security system, I'd have a lot more things to do first, and I would never make a purchasing decision on something like that in the emotional state you're in upon discovering that your house has been burglarized.

I just think it's a stupid concept in general, because it's really not a big deal to be put on hold (for a reasonable time) when you call a company's customer service line.  She's not calling 911 and being put on hold, she's calling to ask questions/buy something and being put on hold.  That's not somehow egregious because the thing she's calling about is a security system.  The only thing wrong with the fictitious alarm company that's supposed to be so horrible is the way the customer service rep is rather abrupt when saying she's called the wrong department and will be transferred.

• Love 10

Speaking of stupid concepts, the DirecTV ad are ridiculous. "Some people still like cable tv. But some people also like banging their heads against the wall, walking blindfolded into traffic, and swimming in crocodile-infested waters." Even if I wanted to use DirecTV, I wouldn't, because what the hell are they even talking about?!

• Love 15

Kaiser Permanente has this new ad about a little kid whose father is diagnoses with cancer in the ad. This thing makes me furious. I find it entirely presumptuous and condescending to the kid. I change the channel every time it comes on. It makes me ragey.

• Love 4
On 12/5/2017 at 10:21 PM, QuinnInND said:

The commercial for some prescription skin clearing drug, part of which features a woman at her wedding, dancing with her father. The part the makes me stabby is the part where they show her standing on her father's feet as they're dancing. Which is cute when the kids are small. Not so much when you're grown. I keep thinking that a 130lb woman standing on my feet wouldn't elicit a smile. I know it's supposed to give me warm fuzzies, but all I can think about is poor dad being crippled up the next day because of her standing on his feet. 

I've never seen the commercial, but I take your point.  It's cute when it's a little girl "dancing" with her father, but when it's a grown-ass woman? That's not cute.  That's pathetic.

• Love 6