Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

12 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

I'm not sure why, but the latest commercials from the American Cancer Society really rub me the wrong way. Now they're having real cancer patients asking you to donate; and I feel manipulated, as if I'm being guilted into donating. First, I'm in no position to give; second, as someone who is currently in remission, this just increases my ire. I can't explain it.

Interesting.  I (not a cancer survivor, but the daughter of one on her second metastasis) think the current ad campaign is a good one, highlighting the various services ACS provides - it's lobbying for research and insurance access/coverage, yes, but it's also direct services like connecting patients to local resources like rides to treatment appointments.  My mom volunteered with ACS for years (and still does from time to time), and even won volunteer of the year from the local chapter, but I still never really knew the various pies in which it had its fingers until this ad campaign made me think about it.

• Love 5
9 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

There used to be a tv chef (and I can't remember who he was), who was always talking about his recipes being "very simple, very easy." And I say that every time that ad runs.

That sounds like a Jamie Oliver line. 
I couldn't articulate exactly why, but I can't stand him.

• Love 2

Animojis....can go to hell, along with the obnoxious people in these overplayed commercials.

Apropos of "overplayed", the $#!@#$@#ING Acura holiday commercials from last year are back with a vengeance: the one with the abomination of a version of "Deck the Halls" with a hip-hop beat and the idiotic sample of the singer blabbering "day..day...day day day-eck the halls" over and over and over.  Kill me.

Also find myself creeped out by the kids in the Holiday Target commercials...the're all weird little Stepford-pixie kids holding tablet computers...hate em. 

So much obnoxious singing in commercials....the holiday Old Navy and Gap commercials make me rage. Shut up and quit acting like your in a state of bliss to be singing in a stupid clothing commercial, it's so over-the-top cheesy.  DAMN.

And the absolute worst, the Uncle Ben's commercial with the claymation and the kid talk-singing an out of tune version of "Show me the way" by Peter Frampton.  The kid's voice is so irritating.

animoji-karaoke-apple-adver-0.jpg

Edited by DeaconBlues
spelling
  • Love 8
9 hours ago, Bastet said:

Interesting.  I (not a cancer survivor, but the daughter of one on her second metastasis) think the current ad campaign is a good one, highlighting the various services ACS provides - it's lobbying for research and insurance access/coverage, yes, but it's also direct services like connecting patients to local resources like rides to treatment appointments.  My mom volunteered with ACS for years (and still does from time to time), and even won volunteer of the year from the local chapter, but I still never really knew the various pies in which it had its fingers until this ad campaign made me think about it.

It varies by state-the services the ACA can provide. It’s also based on volunteers, because none of those services were available to me. I had to get to chemo by myself; no one to help me until my mom came back from India after the first two times. I had to cab it. And it was my hospital that provided me with gift cards for groceries when I lost my job but still had chemo to finish. Not really sure where the money for the local chapter went.

But my point is that I would prefer if it weren’t actors playing cancer patients. I can’t explain it. 

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 1

Yeah, I've read that about him. Depp & Brad Pitt take a very lazy attitude toward personal cleanliness. Perhaps they figure they're so pretty, they don't have to try hard.  But I will applaud Depp for his kindness to sick children, wearing that presumably very smelly Capt. Jack Sparrow costume to hospitals to visit the kids.

• Love 6

And the absolute worst, the Uncle Ben's commercial with the claymation and the kid talk-singing an out of tune version of "Show me the way" by Peter Frampton. 

"I watch you when you're sleeping and I want to take your love." Yes, very appropriate. Not.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

But my point is that I would prefer if it weren’t actors playing cancer patients. I can’t explain it. 

It's perplexing to me because real kid cancer patients are in the St. Jude and etc. commercials then we have the ACS commercials with grown up actors playing cancer patients. There are probably people with or who had cancer who could benefit from the pay those ACS commercials probably paid the people who were in them. Their services weren't available in this area when I tried calling to seek help for my Mom when she was still here. They either didn't offer what I was inquiring about or were already too backed up to where they had no time estimate to when they could take on anyone new. 

Edited by Jaded
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, catrox14 said:

My only takeaway is why isn't anyone helping that poor woman trying to put her stuff in the overhead bin

Yeah, other than that, I don't mind it.  I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.

11 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Have you seen the Godawful perfume ad with Johnny Depp?   OMG.

The first time I saw that one, I thought it was a parody of that stupid Matthew McConaughey commercial with the bull.  Then I realized it was supposed to be a serious commercial for a real cologne.  Big fail.

• Love 5
45 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Yeah, other than that, I don't mind it.  I don't love it, but I don't hate it either.

The first time I saw that one, I thought it was a parody of that stupid Matthew McConaughey commercial with the bull.  Then I realized it was supposed to be a serious commercial for a real cologne.  Big fail.

Yeah, that could have been genius. Especially if it was an ad for something like pancake mix or foot powder.

• Love 7
On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 1:09 PM, chenoa333 said:

The Coffe Mate commercial with the husband playing "rock-paper-scissors" with an animated talking figure. So F'N annoying and stupid and I still have no clue what rock, paper, scissors means.

It's a quasi random generator, usually used to determine who goes first, with three hand gestures (rock, paper, scissors) and each has a winning combination:

• rock beats scissors because you can break the scissors with a rock
  • scissors beats paper because you cut the paper
  • paper beats rock because you can wrap the rock.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock–paper–scissors

On ‎12‎/‎16‎/‎2017 at 7:04 PM, Popples said:

There is a sequel to the "Dilly, Dilly" commercial in the Pit of Misery. It's just as dumb as the original.

What the fuck is "Dilly Dilly"? Is this one of those things someone is trying to make a catchphrase? I have never heard it before.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Brattinella said:

"Lavender blue, dilly dilly

Lavender green.

Something, something."

My mom and her business partner had a couple of boutique type shops in the sixties and early seventies. They were called Dilly's. Their signature color was lavender. I remember at Christmas times they always had white flocked trees in the stores with lavender balls and bows all over them. I thought they were really hip and groovy.

Edited by peacheslatour
  • Love 7

"Lavender blue dilly dilly/ lavender green

If I were king dilly dilly /You would be my queen"

Or at least that's the way Burl Ives sang it.

Edited by ABay
  • Love 4

rock beats scissors because you can break the scissors with a rock

scissors beats paper because you cut the paper

paper beats rock because you can wrap the rock.

See, I never get this -- what if I just throw throw the rock through the paper? Why can't paper cover scissors! It can!

Also, I just remembered this:
"Are you people insane?! How could paper beat a rock?" 
-- Frasier Crane

• Love 9
On 12/19/2017 at 0:10 AM, Brattinella said:

Have you seen the Godawful perfume ad with Johnny Depp?   OMG.

It looks like he's out in the desert to bury a body or something else that I don't associate with good smells. (I might watch too much Dateline).

• Love 11
14 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I clearly need more coffee. I read this as Chicken Loan.

Loaning chickens to others or chickens who give loans? Inquiring minds want to know.

11 hours ago, Brattinella said:

"Lavender blue, dilly dilly

Lavender green.

Something, something."

Buttons and bows?

• Love 4

Hate the car commercial with the girl and her snowglobe.   It starts innocent enough.  She shakes the snowglobe and it starts to snow on the city.  Awww, cute, right?  Then she stares at two figures in the globe hugging and a woman on the street starts hugging a random guy.  Then she she starts making it rain hundreds of man dolls on the city.   Then she winds the music box in the globe and everyone in the city is compelled to dance.  She like some creepy ass demon child from a Twilight Zone episode.  Mommy and Daddy need to get the little monster an exorcist for Christmas but I'm sure they've long since had any free will purged but the devil spawn in live in a perpetual state of silent fear.

• Love 12

Two of the sports radio shows I listen to have FULLY embraced Dilly Dilly.

The Target kids apparently have no parents but they have that big ass house and all of the electronics and toys.  

The one Old Navy ad with everyone outside in their festive jammies singing a medley of songs makes my ears want to fold in on themselves so they no longer have to hear that cacophony of noise.

• Love 11
21 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

A lot of these cologne commercials are no different at all from a parody of a cologne commercial.

20 hours ago, Ubiquitous said:

What the fuck is "Dilly Dilly"? Is this one of those things someone is trying to make a catchphrase? I have never heard it before.

"Dilly dilly" can't be much of a thing if the only place I've ever heard of it is here.

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

A lot of these cologne commercials are no different at all from a parody of a cologne commercial.

"Dilly dilly" can't be much of a thing if the only place I've ever heard of it is here.

See youtube video above; Burl Ives singing the entire song 1949.  I think it was also in a movie, and I do remember hearing the song on the am radio when I was a kid.

Edited by Brattinella
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

See youtube video above; Burl Ives singing the entire song 1949.  I think it was also in a movie, and I do remember hearing the song on the am radio when I was a kid.

I think I heard it in the live action Cinderella that came out a few years ago. She is heard singing it as the group is leaving after the evil stepmother has said there are no other maidens at the home. It sounds like the same as the Burl Ives one @Brattinella linked to, but a softer and slower. I think.

• Love 1
29 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I was referring to the present apparent memeification.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, Haleth said:

I was at a party this past weekend and someone randomly said "dilly dilly."  I think it's sticking, people.

Well, at least now you know who you can fob the cheap beer off on :)

• Love 8
52 minutes ago, Brattinella said:

I just saw an ad for Ancestry-DNA.  As a Christmas GIFT!  I swear to God, NOBODY better even try to give me such a presumptuous gift!  They will get it right back!

That commercial is a puzzle to me. Why they are trying to promote that as a Christmas gift is beyond me. Unless someone specifically asked for it, I'd never give it as a gift.

• Love 9

On "Dilly DIlly":

8 hours ago, Brattinella said:

Burl Ives singing the entire song 1949.  I think it was also in a movie

"Lavender's Blue" was an English folk song, where the nonsense words seem originally to have been "diddle diddle," and the subject more sexual -- two young people feeling amorous together. It had variants over the centuries, including a cleaner "dilly dilly" version suitable for children. Then Burl Ives sang it under the title "Lavender Blue" in the Disney movie So Dear To My Heart, giving it a new burst of popularity -- so much so that the song was nominated for an Academy Award despite not being original (I've never seen an explanation of that one). Ives recorded it separately too, and others have done so since.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

I just saw an ad for Ancestry-DNA.  As a Christmas GIFT!  I swear to God, NOBODY better even try to give me such a presumptuous gift!  They will get it right back!

16 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

That commercial is a puzzle to me. Why they are trying to promote that as a Christmas gift is beyond me. Unless someone specifically asked for it, I'd never give it as a gift.

My d-in-law  has elected herself to be the family's genealogist as she has an interest in all things vintage.  Her Santa wish last year was for the Ancestry DNA kit, so I happily set out to fulfill.  I ordered the kit online one evening at about 9 p.m., only to see their 30% discount ad appear the next day. Of course I phoned their Customer Service fully expecting to get the discount applied since I had ordered it just a few hours too early.  "Mmmmmm...Sorry, no can do!"  Really???  I was floored they wouldn't grant it, and haggled until they agreed on their "best offer" of one month's free membership to their service.  The service was an "extra" for d-in-law, but I would have preferred the $30 savings.  She was thrilled, though, so all's good in the end.

• Love 4
13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

My father, to whom I've given golf balls for the past twenty years for lack of any other interest, suggestions, or gratitude for anything else on his part, said at Thanksgiving he wanted one of those kits. I don't know what they heck for, but by golly I had one ordered within three hours. However, I did not say to myself, "Gee, Aunt Sophie, Mr. Ox, and my neighbor Gertrude would probably love them, too, so let me order more!"

• Love 3