Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, mmecorday said:

There's something very "Human Centipede" about that commercial and that alone makes me hate it.

Why, oh why did I Google "human centipede?!" Blerg.

Edited by ChiCricket
  • Love 5

Is this person an alien from another planet?  Is she a 3-year-old that got Freaky Fridayed into an adult body?  I have never applied makeup in my entire life, and I would not fuck it up as badly as her.  How did she get so far across her eye before noticing she'd put it on wrong?  How did she not realize that smearing it around would...smear it around?  How did she manage to do the first eye right?

• Love 4

really the way to impress your new girlfriends parents is to show them you can ......parallel park, like in the Ford commercial. 

Not only that, you likely don't even need to parallel park there since it appears to be a quiet suburban neighborhood with lots of parking on the street, so he could likely just pull down the street a block to where he does not have to squeeze between two cars. 

• Love 6
19 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

really the way to impress your new girlfriends parents is to show them you can ......parallel park, like in the Ford commercial. 

I'm meeting the new girlfriend's parents at Thanksgiving, I'll let you know how it goes!

• Love 19

I just stopped by to say that if I see that "I'm a Little Teapot" commericial with some wrestler/MMA guy, his alleged daughter who is too old for that song, and the leering letter carrier one more time, I'm pretty sure a shoe is going to end up embedded in my television.  

• Love 9
21 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Not only that, you likely don't even need to parallel park there since it appears to be a quiet suburban neighborhood with lots of parking on the street, so he could likely just pull down the street a block to where he does not have to squeeze between two cars. 

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same commercial, but in the one I saw, the car is parking itself. 

Which, as someone who sucks at parallel parking, is awesome and will definitely be on my  must have list the next time I buy a car.

• Love 2
36 minutes ago, xaxat said:

I'm not sure if we are talking about the same commercial, but in the one I saw, the car is parking itself. 

Which, as someone who sucks at parallel parking, is awesome and will definitely be on my  must have list the next time I buy a car.

I know the car is parking itself. 

But the idea that if you can parallel park then you MUST BE A WINNER as a new boyfriend, whether he or the car is doing it or whatever, is stupid. 

And as mentioned, he likely didn't need to parallel park on that street.  He just chose to do so. 

• Love 2
On 11/7/2017 at 3:56 PM, Ohwell said:

I go for walks every day and I have yet to see anyone squat walking like those two women.

A few years back, I hired a personal trainer to whip me into shape.  She had me do this very exercise for what felt like forever.  The next day, I was mildly sore but nothing I couldn't handle.  The day after that?  I awoke to the most crippling pain in my quads that I've ever experienced.  I thought something was ruptured in my thighs.  I would NOT recommend this exercise to anyone under any circumstances.

So I was torn whether to put this in the Headscratcher category or here.  I settled on here because I really am outraged by this ad.

The Southwest ad where Grandmom has to break out of her nursing home like she's reenacting Escape From Alcatraz.  WTF, Southwest???  If my grandmother wanted to go to Belize, I'm damn sure not sneaking her out of a nursing facility.  This ad is not cute or funny--it's disturbing.

• Love 8
40 minutes ago, SuburbanHangSuite said:

The Southwest ad where Grandmom has to break out of her nursing home like she's reenacting Escape From Alcatraz.  WTF, Southwest???  If my grandmother wanted to go to Belize, I'm damn sure not sneaking her out of a nursing facility.  This ad is not cute or funny--it's disturbing.

And the ad is stupid.  Pretty sure they'll be gone for at least a couple days, and how long does grandma think it'll take before they find out she's gone?  And what does she and grandson say when she comes back?  I know the ad is supposed to be cute, but it's just dumb.

• Love 5

I find something about James Cordon mildly annoying, but after seeing his ad for some credit card company?  Yeah, just shut the fuck up dude.   "Oh, I'm so busy.  Woe is me.  I've asked people to send me videos of where my next vacation should be."   Great, you have the money to travel literally anywhere in the world multiple times a year.  Bully for you.  Maybe you can spend a few minutes Googling/YouTubing on your own rather than drafting strangers to play travel agent for you.  

• Love 13
15 hours ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I just stopped by to say that if I see that "I'm a Little Teapot" commericial with some wrestler/MMA guy, his alleged daughter who is too old for that song, and the leering letter carrier one more time, I'm pretty sure a shoe is going to end up embedded in my television.  

I don't mind the ad too much except that the "daughter" seems far too old to not be able to correctly enunciate the words any better than that.

I hate anything and everything related to Tangerine (the bank).  The ads with the hipster R&B music.  Ugh!  But even just the name.  "Tangerine."  I can just imagine the stupid hipster ad agency meetings...

The Chevy ads remain a concern, lol.  I see mention a few pages back of the Silverado ones.  One of them features a husky black dude who is wearing the worlds largest T shirt.  Its one of those things that once seen can't be un-seen!  Now whenever the ad comes on I find myself unable to resist marveling at how huge that T shirt is...it's a serious distraction that keeps me from enjoying the rest of the commercial!  lol...

Also back a few pages there was mention of the Windows ads featuring the nurse "pranking" the kid patient by walking in and telling him she has "bad news" and then showing him how she can plaster bug eyes on his picture in Windows.  Amaze balls!  But I find myself wondering why she didn't go full in on the prank??  She should have walked in and said "I have bad news Timmy...you have stomach cancer.  You'll be dead in 2 weeks..."  Then when he started bawling she could drop the "har har just kidding here watch me paste some googly eyes on your photo" on him.  That would have been super!  Yeah...that ad was poorly conceived. 

The ad with the evil little kid cutting the hair of various stuffed animals and then going for his little sister but ohhhhhh mom catches him just in the knick of time the cute little whipper-snapper!  Then she gets her designer jeans and high heels on and goes Swifferin!  Idiotic...

There's an ad running for a hotel chain right now.  Can't remember which one though but at the very end of the ad there's a quick shot of a woman and she does this little dance move while facing right into the camera.  There's something about the move that just irritates the hell out of me!  It's funny how the tiniest little thing in a commercial can just absolutely drive you nuts.  It's literally about one second of video lol...another example of that is the ad for the number bed where the chubby guy does a little "happy hop skip" move.  Just the tiniest little moment but really annoying.

Oh, and the Ancestry Dot Com ads are really annoying.  I hate all the people in those ads!  They all seem like the dimmest, dullest, most irritating idiots you can imagine knowing.  I mean these people have lived in the USA or Canada ALL THEIR LIVES but they walk around in kilts or lederhosen or whatever because of their presumed ancestry?  lol...and now they find out they had it wrong so OOPS gotta change the way I dress or the artwork I buy now!  lol...

Edited by Zevious Zoquis
  • Love 12
11 hours ago, Maverick said:

I find something about James Cordon mildly annoying, but after seeing his ad for some credit card company?  Yeah, just shut the fuck up dude.   "Oh, I'm so busy.  Woe is me.  I've asked people to send me videos of where my next vacation should be."   Great, you have the money to travel literally anywhere in the world multiple times a year.  Bully for you.  Maybe you can spend a few minutes Googling/YouTubing on your own rather than drafting strangers to play travel agent for you.  

I am starting to hate James Cordon and those Amex ads with him bugging his rich friends to send him their vacation vids are not helping.

• Love 8

I hate the those Christmas car ads where people give their spouse a car for Christmas. It's in the driveway with a giant bow. Usually a really expensive car. Several car companies do this, and we'll probably only see more of them in the coming weeks.

The families never really look rich, but they can just give a car to someone. Who are these people?

Edited by WritinMan
Typo
  • Love 22
13 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

I hate the those Christmas car ads were people give their spouse a car for Christmas. It's in the driveway with a giant bow. Usually a really expensive car. Several car companies do this, and we'll probably only see more of them in the coming weeks.

The families never really look rich, but they can just give a car to someone. Who are these people?

One year, just before Christmas, I looked out the window of my office, and there sat a new car with a giant bow on it, with my fiance standing next to it, grinning up at me and waving. I was STUNNED. The entire office was cheering!

I was so elated...until he presented me with part 2 of the "present": the payment book.

I couldn't even tell anybody. 

• Love 17
16 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

But the idea that if you can parallel park then you MUST BE A WINNER as a new boyfriend, whether he or the car is doing it or whatever, is stupid. 

And as mentioned, he likely didn't need to parallel park on that street.  He just chose to do so.

He's probably too lazy to walk the extra distance, or to go to the effort of parallel parking when he can have a car that'll do it by itself.

• Love 1

Oh, and the Ancestry Dot Com ads are really annoying.  I hate all the people in those ads!  They all seem like the dimmest, dullest, most irritating idiots you can imagine knowing.  I mean these people have lived in the USA or Canada ALL THEIR LIVES but they walk around in kilts or lederhosen or whatever because of their presumed ancestry?  lol...and now they find out they had it wrong so OOPS gotta change the way I dress or the artwork I buy now!  lol...

"I want to learn about my culture" You mean baseball and apple pie? Dumbasses.

• Love 14
21 hours ago, smittykins said:

Moms/dads don’t take sick days, they take DayQuil/NyQuil.”

And infect everyone around them because they’re still contagious.

Because our culture has made it seem like weakness to actually go to bed and get well.. You've got to go to work everyday. And you've got to do everything every day. It's pathetic. 

• Love 21
On ‎11‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 9:32 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I guess I could impress the crap out of this woman's parents, because I can parallel park without having to rely on the car to do it for me.  (This isn't a criticism of those who have problems parallel parking - it really is one of my few brag-worthy skills - just of the idiots in the commercial.)

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 7
1 hour ago, QuinnInND said:

Because our culture has made it seem like weakness to actually go to bed and get well.. You've got to go to work everyday. And you've got to do everything every day. It's pathetic. 

When I was in the Air Force, I got deathly ill.  I was literally so sick, I had green mucus coming out of my EYES!  But because I lived in the barracks, I was required to go to work.  If I had been married, and had a house, I could have stayed home sick.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, Silver Raven said:

When I was in the Air Force, I got deathly ill.  I was literally so sick, I had green mucus coming out of my EYES!  But because I lived in the barracks, I was required to go to work.  If I had been married, and had a house, I could have stayed home sick.

Depends on where you work. You could take a paid sick day, an unpaid sick day or call in sick and be told that if you don't come in you'll be fired.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

That is despicable.  My opinion of the Air Force went down a lot.  WTF? 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, wings707 said:

That is despicable.  My opinion of the Air Force went down a lot.  WTF? 

Oh, don't get me started wings!  I worked for a major airline which shall not be named (cough - AA - cough) and didn't take a sick day for 10.5 years because sick days were BAD!  They tracked your absences on a calendar and highlighted them in red.  If you had too many adjacent to weekends, you were suspected of Sick Time Abuse.  This was in a job that required constant personal interaction with the public where we were exposed to anything infectious that traveled around the world.  I worked with pneumonia, pleurisy, broken ribs from coughing, conjunctivitis...you name it.

Sick days are BAD!

(Putting my soapbox away mods.  Temporarily)

• Love 10

I've worked for a major company that was just like that.  No being sick and having a day off, and don't even START with wanting to take a vacation day!  I ended up with months worth of vacation days because I was never allowed to take them!

• Love 8

And I worked for another company where we got zero sick or vacation days until we had been there a year, and then started accumulating combined sick/vacation days (if you took a sick day it was a vacation day) at the rate of one day a month so you didn't even have five days of sick/vacation days until you had been there 17 months.

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Silver Raven said:

My husband who is a squadron commander wouldn't have put up with you being so sick at work like that. You would have been on sick call. At least. Your command staff sucked. I'm so sorry they were like that. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, WritinMan said:

I hate the those Christmas car ads where people give their spouse a car for Christmas. It's in the driveway with a giant bow. Usually a really expensive car. Several car companies do this, and we'll probably only see more of them in the coming weeks.

Buick's doing 'em one better...it's in the living room "under" the tree.  No bow, though - they must be poor.

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wrgn/2017-buick-enclave-leather-fireside-chat-tailgate

Edited by Tunia
forgot the link
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, Reasonable Doubt said:

Tide.  Please stop.  SHIRT, SHIRT SHIRT SHIRT SHIRT (tomato soup).  SHIRT, SHIRT SHIRT SHIRT SHIRT (tomato soup!)

Whoever made this ad needs to have painful hemorrhoids all over their entire body.  If you are lucky enough to have escaped the ad - you can find it on YouTube.   F'ing annoying Tide commercial

I HATE that commercial.  I didn't know it was a TV commercial, though!  I've only heard it on Pandora.

• Love 4
3 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I guess I could impress the crap out of this woman's parents, because I can parallel park without having to rely on the car to do it for me.  (This isn't a criticism of those who have problems parallel parking - it really is one of my few brag-worthy skills - just of the idiots in the commercial.)

In fairness, some cars are streamlined in a way that makes it impossible to see any part of the front end while seated in the car. There's something you can attach to the bumper that has a plastic rod that sticks up, but I've only seen one person install one. Too low-tech I guess, when you can get cameras or a self-parking feature.

9 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Here's the giant T shirt ad...just look how much T shirt that dude is wearing!  :-D

It is an impressively large T shirt.  The kind that makes you think.......

I haven't watched the commercial, but he doesn't look like he has a man bun or like the kind of guy who would talk about a "bad mama jama" so I think we should give him a pass.  Lesser evils and all that.

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Reasonable Doubt said:

Tide.  Please stop.  SHIRT, SHIRT SHIRT SHIRT SHIRT (tomato soup).  SHIRT, SHIRT SHIRT SHIRT SHIRT (tomato soup!)

Whoever made this ad needs to have painful hemorrhoids all over their entire body.  If you are lucky enough to have escaped the ad - you can find it on YouTube.   F'ing annoying Tide commercial

1 hour ago, janie jones said:

I HATE that commercial.  I didn't know it was a TV commercial, though!  I've only heard it on Pandora.

Likewise, I've only heard it on Pandora -- which is the worst! You can't pause then FF or switch stations (easily) through Pandora, so you have to listen to it from beginning to end. And it's not even an effective commercial; it took me forever to even realize what they were saying.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Reasonable Doubt said:

Wow. Ive never seen that Tide commercial and hope I never see it again. I think mind altering drugs were involved in the making of that commercial.

12 hours ago, meep.meep said:

It is an impressively large T shirt.  The kind that makes you think.......

I haven't watched the commercial, but he doesn't look like he has a man bun or like the kind of guy who would talk about a "bad mama jama" so I think we should give him a pass.  Lesser evils and all that.

Oh yeah for sure.  On the scale of douchebags in the “real people” Chevy ads he’s a minor offender.  But like I say, it’s one of those tiny things I get fixated on in ads.  

• Love 3

I'm a "big-boned" gal. I try to buy from catalogs for us fatties, but every freakin' top is a tunic.  Once you get into a larger size, it's hard to find a normally-proportioned shirt/blouse. The manufacturers/designers think we all want to HIDE our hippo hips.  Y'know, like that little skirt on the bathing suit totally disguises that fact that I'm fat. No one would EVER know, because of that wee skirt. So don't blame the shirt on the guy - that's probably all he can find in his size.

The shirt/tomato soup Tide ad reminds me of Badger, Badger, Badger (jeez, 24.5 million views!) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIyixC9NsLI

• Love 9
23 hours ago, QuinnInND said:

So true. Back in the spring, I came down with a terrible head and chest cold. I never get sick like that. I'm a writer/editor, so I just need my laptop to work. I stayed home that day, but emailed my boss and told him I would jump on my assignment after I took a short nap. I'll never forget that he essentially said "You're sick. Be sick! I'll get someone else to do it." The man was a prince. I assure you most of the other managers would have been like "OK. Let me know when it's done." About two months later, I was part of a layoff (talk about a blessing is disguise), but I have it on high authority that he wasn't involved in my leaving at all. 

Swinging back to commercials - the SW ad with grandma breaking out did make me laugh. Yes, they'll notice that she's gone. My own grandma is in a nursing home. A couple of years ago for Thanksgiving, my mom checked her out so she could come on a trip with us. Maybe this is because my grandma is on Medicaid, but apparently there are limits to how often and for how long she can leave the home. I had no idea. Maybe Belize-going granny had hit her limit. 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, tanyak said:

Maybe this is because my grandma is on Medicaid, but apparently there are limits to how often and for how long she can leave the home. I had no idea. Maybe Belize-going granny had hit her limit. 

I had no idea either.  I just don't like the idea that you can't take your loved one on a vacation, regardless of who's paying the bills.  This SW ad was just a fail to me.  Now they can bring back Dancing Frequent Flier girl at her wedding receptions and I'll be a happy camper.

• Love 2