Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

Prevailing Wind, even worse, by clothing manufacturer standards, is being short and fat. I'm 4'11", now that I've lost 3 pant sizes, it's a little easier to buy jeans (retired, only wear jeans and sweat pants), but I finally don't have to cut off half the pants legs. And I buy petites.

• Love 2

I'm 5'3", and "regular" length jeans are too long on me but short/petite are a weird almost-too-short length. I just wear regular and let them drag and fray at the hem like the hippie I am.

Edited by bilgistic
  • Love 11

I realize this elder care service is for families who are well off, but still it ticks me off when the woman in the voice over says "Dad made us promise we'd keep Mom at home." It was unfair for Dad to make his children promise this. Situations change. What if Mom's needs can no longer be met by an at-home service and she's so critically ill she needs to go to a long-term care facility? What if the funds dwindle to nothing and the children have to put up the home for sale?

• Love 23
4 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I realize this elder care service is for families who are well off, but still it ticks me off when the woman in the voice over says "Dad made us promise we'd keep Mom at home." It was unfair for Dad to make his children promise this. Situations change. What if Mom's needs can no longer be met by an at-home service and she's so critically ill she needs to go to a long-term care facility? What if the funds dwindle to nothing and the children have to put up the home for sale?

Yes!   I think this every time I see that damn commercial.    Dad made them promise to keep mom at home, then he checks out and burdens his children with a massive financial obligation and all the emotional turmoil of trying to do what's best for an elderly parent.   And if the kids can't afford it -- which most people can't -- then they have to live with all the shame and guilt of having failed their parents.

• Love 15
On 11/13/2017 at 10:44 AM, Zevious Zoquis said:

Here's the giant T shirt ad...just look how much T shirt that dude is wearing!  :-D

Annoying as hell. And btw, why does ginger beard need that clipboard?

And what is up with the lack of continuity? Mash up of different focus groups? 

Edited by SoSueMe
watched again and noticed different groups.
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, SoSueMe said:

And what is up with the lack of continuity? Mash up of different focus groups?

And, for the love of God, WHY is Potsch still on my TV???

• Love 2
18 hours ago, Jaded said:

Fart Face's commercial seems to be running again. I saw it during commercial breaks for The Daily Show, Colbert and Seth Meyers.

"Fart Face" made me laugh last night long after I had put my phone down and gotten situated to go to sleep.

• Love 4
On 2017-11-15 at 8:09 PM, SoSueMe said:

How else you gonna keep track of all those JD Power awards?

On 2017-11-14 at 7:25 AM, Prevailing Wind said:

I'm a "big-boned" gal. I try to buy from catalogs for us fatties, but every freakin' top is a tunic.  Once you get into a larger size, it's hard to find a normally-proportioned shirt/blouse. The manufacturers/designers think we all want to HIDE our hippo hips.  Y'know, like that little skirt on the bathing suit totally disguises that fact that I'm fat. No one would EVER know, because of that wee skirt. So don't blame the shirt on the guy - that's probably all he can find in his size.

Sure but that guy looks like he needs maybe a XXL but he’s wearing a quad!  I mean the sleeves are below his elbows!  Lol...

• Love 8
On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2017 at 0:14 AM, bilgistic said:

I'm 5'3", and "regular" length jeans are too long on me but short/petite are a weird almost-too-short length. I just wear regular and let them drag and fray at the hem like the hippie I am.

For me, the rise is always off on the Women's Petite sizes.  I always by the regular length and either roll up the legs or hem the bottoms (for dress pants).

I haven't seen the SWA granny commercial, but I would vote for bringing back dancing wedding girl.  Alas, that one will probably have to wait until wedding season.

• Love 1
On 11/16/2017 at 6:45 AM, Moose135 said:

Because you always look more official when you are carrying a clipboard!

It's amazing what you can get away with if you're carrying one. In this case, it's part of the psychological trick they're pulling, as reported by one of the "real people"

We never retook a take, but you felt really bad about saying something negative about Chevy because there were 50 cameras on you, and it was just this one guy. He did this magic trick of making it seem like you were hurting his feelings if you said anything bad about Chevy. You didn’t want to see this guy stop smiling. It was really bizarre.

https://jalopnik.com/somebody-from-chevys-dumb-real-people-ads-spoke-out-abo-1795489304

• Love 5
17 hours ago, Zevious Zoquis said:

Sure but that guy looks like he needs maybe a XXL but he’s wearing a quad!  I mean the sleeves are below his elbows!  Lol...

The shirt probably isn't his and is intended to cover whatever he showed up wearing. That could be something with a brand name, recognizable logo, or rude message the producers didn't consider acceptable.

• Love 2
On 11/13/2017 at 8:10 AM, captain1 said:

I don't mind the ad too much except that the "daughter" seems far too old to not be able to correctly enunciate the words any better than that.

I think she seems far too old to even be playing/singing I'm A Little Teapot.

On 11/14/2017 at 11:26 PM, mmecorday said:

My mother-in-law asked her three kids often to promise they'd never put her in a nursing home. I vowed then and there to never, ever even bring that up with my kids - it's so unfair to exact that promise.

• Love 7

I had an aunt who was raised Mennonite - the women don't cut their hair. Her mother asked her on her deathbed to never cut her hair, and she agreed. She spent the rest of her life with easy to care for shorter hair. No one ever saw any consequences from the grave for her not honoring her mother's request. Practical solutions over comforting dying requests.

• Love 15
3 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I had an aunt who was raised Mennonite - the women don't cut their hair. Her mother asked her on her deathbed to never cut her hair, and she agreed. She spent the rest of her life with easy to care for shorter hair. No one ever saw any consequences from the grave for her not honoring her mother's request. Practical solutions over comforting dying requests.

I also feel like a lot of these requests come with an implied "within reason." 

• Love 3

I love Christmas, but I hate the insinuation that if I'm not shopping now, I'll be SOL after Thanksgiving because Black Friday Sales began after Halloween. I thought this was a modern concern, but I work at a newspaper and one of my colleagues puts together an Out of the Past column each week, condensing interesting stories from years past into two or three sentences. Sometimes when she is absent I take over her duties and I have noticed that the Christmas advertising kicked into high gear immediately after Halloween even fifty year ago.

• Love 9

I think this one has been discussed, but it pisses me off so much I have to bring it up again. The Lexus commercials (I've seen two different ones) with the kid dancing all over the car and hugging it, etc. makes me crazy. The point of "inner child" is lost because every time I see the commercials start, I forget what they're about, and I'm left wondering why a kid cares about a Lexus. The "inner child" is part of one throwaway line in the commercials anyway, so they are a big fail.

• Love 3
On 11/14/2017 at 10:14 PM, bilgistic said:

I am 5'1" and do the same.  However Old Navy has ankle length in most of their jeans and those are a regular length for shorties.  Petite proportions are very strange and never seem to work. 

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2
5 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

But aren't ankle-length pants/jeans "skinny"? Skinny pants/jeans need to DIE.

The jeans discussion is funny because I went looking for a pair yesterday, I'm 5'1" but petite doesn't work for me because they're just too short and they just look weird.  Anyway, all I could find were those damn skinny jeans and I just gave up in disgust because I couldn't find straight leg or boot cut, and flares are just too much for short legs.  Just about every friggin thing now is skinny this, skinny that.  I'll keep looking. : )

But yes, skinny pants/jeans just need to DIE and I hope the trend ends soon.    

• Love 2

A whole category of commercial that annoys me are the ads that universities run during broadcast of their sport teams. They are so paint by the number that they feel identical.

• Aerial view of campus
  • Shot of distinguished professor teaching in a lecture hall. Said person is probably very important in their field but you have no idea who they are.
  • Fresh faced students walking through the quad or the new Frank Gehry designed library.
  • A ballet class (just to remind you it's not all about the boys)
  • Exciting football/basketball footage (because it really is all about the boys)
  • Students in a lab inventing the future
  • Aerial view of campus
  • Love 16
On 11/19/2017 at 2:07 PM, bilgistic said:

But aren't ankle-length pants/jeans "skinny"? Skinny pants/jeans need to DIE.

Yes. I wear the skinny jeans. I was happy when bell bottoms and elephant leg pants died.  I am not skinny, I am normal average in size. 

ETA.  change a word.  :)

Edited by wings707
  • Love 2

How about commercials that annoy dogs?  Ours is meh about most with doorbells, but the recent National Car rental spot that opens with a guy on an operating table while the equipment emits high-pitched beeps drives her absolutely nuts.  Every single time she jumps up and runs around barking.

We run the spot back and replay it just to mess with her.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

The jeans discussion is funny because I went looking for a pair yesterday, I'm 5'1" but petite doesn't work for me because they're just too short and they just look weird.  Anyway, all I could find were those damn skinny jeans and I just gave up in disgust because I couldn't find straight leg or boot cut, and flares are just too much for short legs.  Just about every friggin thing now is skinny this, skinny that.  I'll keep looking. : )

I don't know what kind of jeans you like, but this past week I bought several pairs of Lee jeans.  They have bootcut, straight, and skinny, plus a bunch of different "rises" (midrise, slimming, other ones I don't remember), and short/medium/long lengths.  I was pretty impressed, and they actually looked good and like they were made for women.  I'm 5'4" and the medium length was perfect for me.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, MaryPatShelby said:

I don't know what kind of jeans you like, but this past week I bought several pairs of Lee jeans.  They have bootcut, straight, and skinny, plus a bunch of different "rises" (midrise, slimming, other ones I don't remember), and short/medium/long lengths.  I was pretty impressed, and they actually looked good and like they were made for women.  I'm 5'4" and the medium length was perfect for me.

Yes, Lee was just what I was thinking about.  I got tired of trying on jeans yesterday but I'm going looking for Lee jeans this week.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:

Yes, Lee was just what I was thinking about.  I got tired of trying on jeans yesterday but I'm going looking for Lee jeans this week.

Try shopping in the men's section -- Levi's, Lee, Wrangler, etc. -- there'll be a style choice (boot, slim, relaxed, etc.) and then waist and inseam -- no women's jeans (in sizes like 6, 8, 10, etc.) fit me, no matter what style.  I have no butt, so men's jeans work best. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, spiderpig said:

How about commercials that annoy dogs?  Ours is meh about most with doorbells, but the recent National Car rental spot that opens with a guy on an operating table while the equipment emits high-pitched beeps drives her absolutely nuts.  Every single time she jumps up and runs around barking.

We run the spot back and replay it just to mess with her.

Hell, the ads with doorbells annoy ME!

30 minutes ago, Stella Rose said:

Hey, Brat, I actually DID get a vehicle with a giant bow once.  It was 2003 and I had (TMI) just gone through an ugly divorce with an abusive, bastard ex who sold my car and would not let me drive -  anything anywhere - for over 6 years.  (long, ugly story).  So that Christmas - my 'Freedom" Christmas, my Da got me a 1989 Dodge Ram 5 speed pickup truck - the most beautiful, rusty, ratty old farm truck on planet earth!  He even put a big red bow on it.   It was the best present ever, and the most awesome, least 'husband' approved vehicle ever!  

It sure wasn't a BMW or a Lexus...  but it was worth way, way more to me.     

That was a pretty special gift!  I understand about the abusive ex; I had one who would just borrow my cars and wreck them.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, mmecorday said:

I love Christmas, but I hate the insinuation that if I'm not shopping now, I'll be SOL after Thanksgiving because Black Friday Sales began after Halloween. I thought this was a modern concern, but I work at a newspaper and one of my colleagues puts together an Out of the Past column each week, condensing interesting stories from years past into two or three sentences. Sometimes when she is absent I take over her duties and I have noticed that the Christmas advertising kicked into high gear immediately after Halloween even fifty year ago.

Word. I can't stand seeing so many of those kinds of commercials. I love the holiday season, but I don't need to be bombarded with the shop now commercials. O_O

• Love 5
On 11/12/2017 at 6:01 PM, DrSpaceman73 said:

I know the car is parking itself. 

But the idea that if you can parallel park then you MUST BE A WINNER as a new boyfriend, whether he or the car is doing it or whatever, is stupid. 

And as mentioned, he likely didn't need to parallel park on that street.  He just chose to do so. 

Parallel parking is an abomination and is of the devil.  It's also one of the reasons that I HATE, LOATHE, and DESPISE driving and have never even bothered to get a drivers' license and have no desire whatsoever to get one or to own a car.  Public transit for life, baby!

Edited by legaleagle53
  • Love 6
17 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I think this one has been discussed, but it pisses me off so much I have to bring it up again. The Lexus commercials (I've seen two different ones) with the kid dancing all over the car and hugging it, etc. makes me crazy. The point of "inner child" is lost because every time I see the commercials start, I forget what they're about, and I'm left wondering why a kid cares about a Lexus. The "inner child" is part of one throwaway line in the commercials anyway, so they are a big fail.

I call those crazy rich people commercials. I think this is one too. They annoy me so much because they always seem stupid or snooty.

• Love 3

Penney's carries Lee Jeans. I've given up with JCP, though, and go directly to Lee's website. Once I learned they'd fit me in the size I believe I am, it's easy to buy 'em online. I don't have to try them on - I know they'll fit.

Any commercial with high-pitched beeping/noises annoys the hell out of my cats. Bosco will actually get up off my lap & leave the room. Stella just sits there with her ears back.

20 hours ago, wings707 said:

I am 5'1" and do the same.  However Old Navy has ankle length in most of their jeans and those are a regular length for shorties.  Petite proportions are very strange and never seem to work. 

I'm 5'3" and fat.  Ankle length jeans are too short.  Women's short length and petite have too short a rise.  Nothing works except for buying regular length and rolling up the legs or hemming them.  Skinny jeans are evil.

And the new Old Navy Christmas commercials are stupid and potentially seizure-inducing.

I also hate the car commercials using Holiday Road from National Lampoon's Vacation, especially the one where the woman brings an absolute disaster of a snowman cake to a friend's gathering because (as the idiotic lyrics say) she can't cook.  Then why the hell didn't she just pick up something at a bakery?

19 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I found a pair of straight leg, regular length, not too much spandex containing Lee jeans at JC Penney about 6 months ago.   I still have to roll them up, but the rise is perfect, the waist fits, and they're not stretchy.  Could only afford one pair at the time, but I really I wish I'd bought two pairs anyway.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

A whole category of commercial that annoys me are the ads that universities run during broadcast of their sport teams. They are so paint by the number that they feel identical.

Aerial view of campus

Shot of distinguished professor teaching in a lecture hall. Said person is probably very important in their field but you have no idea who they are.

Fresh faced students walking through the quad or the new Frank Gehry designed library.

A ballet class (just to remind you it's not all about the boys)

Exciting football/basketball footage (because it really is all about the boys)

Students in a lab inventing the future

Aerial view of campus

They don't show the reality, which consists of:

* Students drinking to excess at some bar

* A student rushing to class while wearing pajamas, hair pulled up in a messy bun (guys and girls)

* Students texting each other while seated at the same table

* A student playing Candy Crush on his or her laptop while trying to stay awake during a professor's lecture

* Students navigating their way across an area of the campus that is under construction

• Love 14
20 hours ago, xaxat said:

• Aerial view of campus
  • Shot of distinguished professor teaching in a lecture hall. Said person is probably very important in their field but you have no idea who they are.
  • Fresh faced students walking through the quad or the new Frank Gehry designed library.
  • A ballet class (just to remind you it's not all about the boys)
  • Exciting football/basketball footage (because it really is all about the boys)
  • Students in a lab inventing the future
  • Aerial view of campus

If it's a Catholic university, it will also include a shot of a priest, the only indication that it's a Catholic university.

• Love 6