Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, Ohwell said:

They're competing with St. Jude's for donations.  I like them both for the work they do, but I do think that Shriners tries to milk it a bit more with that adorable kid in the wheelchair.   

I hate how they have the kids waving around their handless arms or whatever.  I'm sure they've gotten these kids prosthetics, so they're telling them to take them off to seem more pitiful.

• Love 4

I see more St. Jude's than Shriners. Both do wonderful work and I wish I could donate to both, right now, I can barely donate to support myself. But I have a niece that has been helped by the Shriners. They took her and my mother to one of their hospitals, put my mother up in their equivalent of Ronald McDonald House, removed a huge mole on my niece's leg - she was in her early teens, the mole was half the size of her thigh, there was concern about it becoming cancerous someday because of the size. She has a big scar, but is much less self conscious of the scar than she was of the mole. She was born with it. So Shriners will always have my affection. But the work that St. Jude's does is effing incredible!

• Love 12

I think the Shriners' ads, while exploitive, show more hope than the St. Jude's ads. St. Jude's seems all about the sadness that these kids are sick, where Shriner's tell you about the good that's happened for the kids.  That said, I personally don't think "Alec" in the wheelchair is all that adorable. He's kind of creepy in my eyes.

I've read that he's got brittle bone disease. Where I work part-time, one of the women there (the boss' daughter) brings her kid to work. He's 4 now and is almost always in a cast. When Children's Services came out to interview people that know her about her parenting skills, she finally got serious about testing the kid - he, too, has brittle bone disease.  I doubt if she'll ever send him to school. She has a hard enough time keeping him safe when she's with him all day long.  I wonder if he'll end up in a wheelchair.

• Love 4

I think the Shriners' ads, while exploitive, show more hope than the St. Jude's ads. St. Jude's seems all about the sadness that these kids are sick, where Shriner's tell you about the good that's happened for the kids.

I completely agree. I just don't understand why children get cancer. I handle the obituaries at the newspaper I work for and we got a notice about a 2-year-old girl who died of leukemia. I just can't imagine the grief the little girl's family is enduring right now.

Back on topic: Why am I suddenly seeing ads for farmersonly.com twenty times an hour? And the thing is, the people in the ads are not farmers -- they're just your average stereotypical rednecks. It's like someone advertised a casting call for a remake of "Urban Cowboy" and then said "Surprise! I'm making a crap commercial for a dating site instead!"

• Love 2
On 12/12/2017 at 10:53 PM, janie jones said:

I hate how they have the kids waving around their handless arms or whatever.  I'm sure they've gotten these kids prosthetics, so they're telling them to take them off to seem more pitiful.

Yes, yes yes.  Those without limbs drive me crazy.  All I can think is "where are their prosthetics?!"

• Love 1
On 11/27/2017 at 2:26 PM, InnerScreaming said:

And finally, the guy with the smug sneer in his voice who does the voiceover for the Mazda commercials.  Hate.  His.  Voice!!

Oh yeah, he's awful! And he's been narrating their ads for years. I can't believe those voiceovers don't get more hate. Are you and I the only ones hearing it?

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Rough Draft said:

Oh yeah, he's awful! And he's been narrating their ads for years. I can't believe those voiceovers don't get more hate. Are you and I the only ones hearing it?

There were a lot of complaints about him when they first came out, mainly centered around this commercial, which is the first one I remember him doing.  Someone in here later alerted me to the fact that it's Aaron Paul doing the voiceover, at which point I immediately stopped liking Aaron Paul.  Too bad because I had a crush on him back in the day.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

The commercial with Reba for American Red Cross. Seriously... The way they have the woman being surprised by the volunteers is so bad and corny. I feel bad she lost her house in a fire, but the commercial makes me stabby.

On the note of helpful organizations and volunteers, I keep seeing a commercial on ION where it starts off with a family happily celebrating the holidays in their house while "Auld Lang Syne" is playing in the background...and then it flashes out the window and across the street to a family tearfully standing outside watching their house burn as the firefighters arrive. The commercial's a reminder to help those who've been struggling this year because of all the natural disasters and whatnot, and it's a good message to send out, obviously. But the commercial's just so creepy and haunting. Powerful, but haunting. 

• Love 1

I really hate that iPad ad running currently with the kid with the iPad who is asked by her nice neighbor what she's doing on the computer and the answer is "What's a computer" and the little shit never answers even with a 'oh nothing important".  Like I just kind of want to sit that kid down and say you are a snotty little shit.

It reminds me of those terrible iPhone ads a few years back "It's not an iPhone". 

ETA: It's a rather cute ad up to that moment and then I'm just like

sEYp6W9.gif

Edited by catrox14
  • Love 12

The Progressive ad where Jamie thinks he looks exactly like the new guy:  I would hate this commercial less if they'd gotten a guy who didn't look so unlike Jamie.  Like, Jamie's just an idiot because the other guy has a beard and different color hair.  Couldn't they get a hot guy with the same coloring as Jamie?

• Love 3
42 minutes ago, catrox14 said:

I really hate that iPad ad running currently with the kid with the iPad who is asked by her nice neighbor what she's doing on the computer and the answer is "What's a computer" and the little shit never answers even with a 'oh nothing important".  Like I just kind of want to sit that kid down and say you are a snotty little shit.

Every new instance of snotty little shits like her, just reinforces my JOY at never having children.

• Love 4

I was just coming to say the same thing about that ipad kid and "whats a computer?"

He is either completely stupid and truly does not know what a computer is, which I doubt, or he/she (I can't even tell which, doesn't matter) is being a smartass little twit that needs to be smacked

Neither is a good scenario. 

Also can't stand those "Dilly dilly" cheap beer commercials. 

• Love 4

I really don't know why, and it makes me feel kind of mean and nasty, but there's a commercial for Minute Maid (I think) orange juice that just gets on my damn nerves. For no truly discernible reason, I don't like the dad, I don't like the noise he makes when he uses a crayon, and I even don't like that little girl! 

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 2:57 AM, Cobalt Stargazer said:

Speaking of stupid concepts, the DirecTV ad are ridiculous. "Some people still like cable tv. But some people also like banging their heads against the wall, walking blindfolded into traffic, and swimming in crocodile-infested waters." Even if I wanted to use DirecTV, I wouldn't, because what the hell are they even talking about?!

Am I the only person who is reminded of the old SNL segment with Billy Crystal and another guy saying "Don't you hate it when..."?

On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 1:10 PM, mmecorday said:

Back on topic: Why am I suddenly seeing ads for farmersonly.com twenty times an hour? And the thing is, the people in the ads are not farmers -- they're just your average stereotypical rednecks. It's like someone advertised a casting call for a remake of "Urban Cowboy" and then said "Surprise! I'm making a crap commercial for a dating site instead!"

OMG, do you live in north Florida, too? Your comment is funny b/c there's one ad just like that which features an obvious poser walking into a country bar and all the farmgirls there simultaneously rolling their eyes at him.

• Love 3

Two, IMO, completely tasteless commercials:

Book of the Month Club with all the double entendre “time of the month” references. 

Liquid Plumr butt crack commercials. 

Agencies really need to start hiring creative types other than 23-year-old former frat boys 

• Love 8
8 hours ago, shksabelle said:

Two, IMO, completely tasteless commercials:

Book of the Month Club with all the double entendre “time of the month” references. 

Agencies really need to start hiring creative types other than 23-year-old former frat boys 

A thousand times YES!  Both are just horrible, juvenile har har har jokes.  Book of the month club used to be a very genteel, fun way to explore new books, but this ad makes it look trashy.

• Love 4

The Coffe Mate commercial with the husband playing "rock-paper-scissors" with an animated talking figure. So F'N annoying and stupid and I still have no clue what rock, paper, scissors means. But right now, this commercial is my most hated due to the constant repititive overkill. As soon as the next commercial comes on, rock paper scissors is shown again! By the way, I hate hazelnut coffee creamer along with Coffeemate. I will never buy their shit again because of this commercial. I'm a Bailey's Irish Cream girl anyway! Lol

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, chenoa333 said:

The Coffe Mate commercial with the husband playing "rock-paper-scissors" with an animated talking figure. So F'N annoying and stupid and I still have no clue what rock, paper, scissors means. But right now, this commercial is my most hated due to the constant repititive overkill. As soon as the next commercial comes on, rock paper scissors is shown again! By the way, I hate hazelnut coffee creamer along with Coffeemate. I will never buy their shit again because of this commercial. I'm a Bailey's Irish Cream girl anyway! Lol

LOL this made me think of

Sheldon Cooper's version of Rock Paper Scissors

"Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors."

• Love 12
1 minute ago, catrox14 said:

LOL this made me think of

Sheldon Cooper's version of Rock Paper Scissors

"Scissors cuts paper, paper covers rock, rock crushes lizard, lizard poisons Spock, Spock smashes scissors, scissors decapitates lizard, lizard eats paper, paper disproves Spock, Spock vaporizes rock, and as it always has, rock crushes scissors."

...well, that escalated quickly :p. 

• Love 8
On 12/13/2017 at 10:10 AM, mmecorday said:

I completely agree. I just don't understand why children get cancer. I handle the obituaries at the newspaper I work for and we got a notice about a 2-year-old girl who died of leukemia. I just can't imagine the grief the little girl's family is enduring right now.

I'm quite certain those redneck guys and hot young country girls are actors. Maybe this matchmaking company bombards the tv viewing market in more states/cities that truly have farmers with real farms looking for real love. LOL! (I jest!) 

I hate all of the dating/matchmaking ads. 

• Love 6

I don't understand farmersonly.com.  Because the ad I saw last night featured these people who were fishing.  It had nothing to do with being a farmer.  And the tag line was like "city folk" don't understand.  I mean, I guess countrypeopleonly.com isn't as appealing?  I grew up in the country and I find the whole thing a little bit off-putting.  Like, not everyone who lives in the country is a farmer, so if it's really "city people" who need not apply, then "farmers only" is too specific.  Secondly, there are people who live in the country who think like "city people," and people who live in town who think like "country people," so the whole thing is just stupid anyway.  Although I guess you know what kind of people they're talking about, from the name and from the ads, even if it isn't specifically farmers.

• Love 11
On 12/16/2017 at 2:32 AM, shksabelle said:

I saw one of those today, some chick cleaning her toilet with about an inch and a half of her crack peeking out from her sweatpants. It's not any better if you gender-flip it, Advertising People.

• Love 8
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:06 PM, Mabinogia said:

I just saw one of those and thought, if I was expecting some delicious Godiva and got an ugly brown diamond instead, I'd be kinda pissed. I just really don't get the appeal of poo colored diamonds. 

probably the diamonds they used to throw out-somebody got the bright idea to call them chocolate 

• Love 5
On 12/14/2017 at 10:21 PM, catrox14 said:

It reminds me of those terrible iPhone ads a few years back "It's not an iPhone". 

ETA: It's a rather cute ad up to that moment and then I'm just like

sEYp6W9.gif

I’ve never been able to get that commercial, or why folks hate it.

She doesn’t realize that her iPad or whatever it is, is a computer, which seems kind of ignorant on he part.

I'm annoyed by the Quicken Loan commercials, where the announcers says that the loan application process is "Both Simple AND easy!"  With the emphasis on the AND.    I'm wondering, is it possible to be simple and NOT be easy?  Isn't "easy"  the same thing as "simple", when you're talking about applying for a loan?  

• Love 10
On 12/15/2017 at 10:40 AM, TattleTeeny said:

I really don't know why, and it makes me feel kind of mean and nasty, but there's a commercial for Minute Maid (I think) orange juice that just gets on my damn nerves. For no truly discernible reason, I don't like the dad, I don't like the noise he makes when he uses a crayon, and I even don't like that little girl! 

That commercial bothers me too, and I can't put my finger on it either. It may be because the little girl is behaving as if she's about 5 years younger than she actually is.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, xls said:

probably the diamonds they used to throw out-somebody got the bright idea to call them chocolate 

They're industrial quality diamonds, the kind they use for drill bits and such.  They're crap, and I'd be highly insulted if anyone tried to give me one.  But kudos to LeVian for getting people to buy crap diamonds at an extremely inflated price.

• Love 11

I'm not sure why, but the latest commercials from the American Cancer Society really rub me the wrong way. Now they're having real cancer patients asking you to donate; and I feel manipulated, as if I'm being guilted into donating. First, I'm in no position to give; second, as someone who is currently in remission, this just increases my ire. I can't explain it.

I don't know if this makes me a hypocrite, or an unfeeling, ungrateful lout. Because my first wig (before I was told about Lolly Locks during chemo) was from my local American Cancer Society and was free, because wigs ain't cheap.

• Love 4
8 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

They're industrial quality diamonds, the kind they use for drill bits and such.  They're crap, and I'd be highly insulted if anyone tried to give me one.  But kudos to LeVian for getting people to buy crap diamonds at an extremely inflated price.

I am no gem expert; I don't even find them that interesting.  I don't understand what makes brown diamonds crap.  Isn't it completely arbitrary whether the white diamonds or the brown diamonds are the "good" ones?  Couldn't people have just as easily decided back in the day that the clear ones are boring and it's all about the colors?  Aren't the other colors just as much the result of impurities as the brown ones? 

• Love 6

I'm not sure why, but the latest commercials from the American Cancer Society really rub me the wrong way. Now they're having real cancer patients asking you to donate; and I feel manipulated, as if I'm being guilted into donating. First, I'm in no position to give; second, as someone who is currently in remission, this just increases my ire. I can't explain it.

The only ones I have seen are the ones with actors portraying cancer patients and I don't like those ads at all. I know that donating to the American Cancer Society is important, and I don't need paid actors telling me this , especially the guy who is so gleeful to be telling us that he used to have more hair, more color and he used to have cancer. I wish that the American Cancer Society would find a better ad agency.

• Love 5
46 minutes ago, janie jones said:

I am no gem expert; I don't even find them that interesting.  I don't understand what makes brown diamonds crap.  Isn't it completely arbitrary whether the white diamonds or the brown diamonds are the "good" ones?  Couldn't people have just as easily decided back in the day that the clear ones are boring and it's all about the colors?  Aren't the other colors just as much the result of impurities as the brown ones? 

It's complicated, but a lot of it has to do with the amount of impurities, possible irradiation, and something call plastic deformation.  Some of it is aesthetic, but brown diamonds really are of a lower quality.  That's why they've been used for industrial purposes until recently.  Basically it's about the marketing of a color which is more widely available.

Edited by proserpina65
3 minutes ago, mmecorday said:

The only ones I have seen are the ones with actors portraying cancer patients and I don't like those ads at all. I know that donating to the American Cancer Society is important, and I don't need paid actors telling me this , especially the guy who is so gleeful to be telling us that he used to have more hair, more color and he used to have cancer. I wish that the American Cancer Society would find a better ad agency.

Da FUCK? You mean they're actors playing cancer patients? FUCK THAT NOISE. Now I don't have to feel guilty or manipulated, because they're using ACTORS and not real people.

• Love 7
1 minute ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Da FUCK? You mean they're actors playing cancer patients? FUCK THAT NOISE. Now I don't have to feel guilty or manipulated, because they're using ACTORS and not real people.

I just watched the one with the guy on YT and there is a small line at the bottom that says "Based on true stories"....

Something about them have seemed off to me and I'm not sure I would have noticed that line at the bottom if those commercials hadn't been brought up in this thread. I felt guilty about my reactions to them too.

I hate the Shriners hospital commercials. I know they do great work but that kid in the wheelchair bugs the crap out of me. I have to change the channel when the commercials come on because I get so irritated by them. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, backformore said:

I'm annoyed by the Quicken Loan commercials, where the announcers says that the loan application process is "Both Simple AND easy!"  With the emphasis on the AND.    I'm wondering, is it possible to be simple and NOT be easy?  Isn't "easy"  the same thing as "simple", when you're talking about applying for a loan?  

There used to be a tv chef (and I can't remember who he was), who was always talking about his recipes being "very simple, very easy." And I say that every time that ad runs.

For those interested in the price and demand of diamonds, I highly recommend this classic Atlantic Magazine article. Chocolate diamonds are just the latest marketing tactic. 

The diamond invention—the creation of the idea that diamonds are rare and valuable, and are essential signs of esteem—is a relatively recent development in the history of the diamond trade. Until the late nineteenth century, diamonds were found only in a few riverbeds in India and in the jungles of Brazil, and the entire world production of gem diamonds amounted to a few pounds a year. In 1870, however, huge diamond mines were discovered near the Orange River, in South Africa, where diamonds were soon being scooped out by the ton. Suddenly, the market was deluged with diamonds. The British financiers who had organized the South African mines quickly realized that their investment was endangered; diamonds had little intrinsic value—and their price depended almost entirely on their scarcity. The financiers feared that when new mines were developed in South Africa, diamonds would become at best only semiprecious gems.

• Love 6