Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, Brattinella said:

Especially the ones with "chocolate diamonds".

I just saw one of those and thought, if I was expecting some delicious Godiva and got an ugly brown diamond instead, I'd be kinda pissed. I just really don't get the appeal of poo colored diamonds. 

• Love 16

Speaking of diamonds, the commercial that really makes me stabby is the one where it's not enough to just give her one diamond, he has to give her two-one for her being his lover, and the other one for her being his friend.  I just wonder how many guys are dumb enough to fall for that crap, and how many women are greedy enough to expect it. 

• Love 14
Just now, Ohwell said:

Speaking of diamonds, the commercial that really makes me stabby is the one where it's not enough to just give her one diamond, he has to give her two-one for her being his lover, and the other one for her being his friend.  I just wonder how many guys are dumb enough to fall for that crap, and how many women are greedy enough to expect it. 

LOL!  Really, the diamond merchants are pushing it now!  ONE is plenty!

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, Mabinogia said:

I just saw one of those and thought, if I was expecting some delicious Godiva and got an ugly brown diamond instead, I'd be kinda pissed. I just really don't get the appeal of poo colored diamonds. 

Especially since chocolate diamonds are just the trash diamonds that aren't good enough to be treated as real diamonds, so they had to do something with them, and just decided to make them "chocolate" instead of dirt colored.

• Love 9
10 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

This reminds of a show I saw on Discovery or the Science channel earlier this year that was discussing the possibilities of mining in space in the future. Scientists think there may be large deposits of minerals and other materials like gold or diamonds on asteroids. And I thought at the time that would just lesson the value of gold and diamonds here. But the more I thought about it, this would just create a whole new market: Space Gold and Space Diamonds. Sure you can buy her a regular old earth ring, but if you really love her, you won't be a cheap bastard and you'll get her a Space Gold and Space Diamond ring.

I can just imagine the commercials....

• Love 9
49 minutes ago, WritinMan said:

Sure you can buy her a regular old earth ring, but if you really love her, you won't be a cheap bastard and you'll get her a Space Gold and Space Diamond ring.

Yeah but the dumb bastard won't realize that he has to buy her two Space Diamonds 'cause Space Gold just won't cut it. 

• Love 9

I may be in a really bad mood right now...no, where EHarmony is concerned, I'm always in a bad mood. First I don't need some snot nosed, wet behind the ears brat telling me that if I'm willing to put some effort into it...then the one saying it means more because you have to pay to use it, she's all about the money, I see divorce in her future and her taking him for everything he's got. And the biggest irritant is the woman in the orange dress who says, "we're not awkward people.” Yes you are.

Edited by friendperidot
  • Love 9

I haven't seen it lately, but the one where the woman says "I was looking for a man not only for myself, but for my son..."  Unless she's a widow, he HAS a father.  Of course, it's possible that he's taken off and wants nothing to do with him anymore, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

• Love 13
13 hours ago, friendperidot said:

I may be in a really bad mood right now...no, where EHarmony is concerned, I'm always in a bad mood. First I don't need some snot nosed, wet behind the ears brat telling me that if I'm willing to put some effort into it...then the one saying it means more because you have to pay to use it, she's all about the money, I see divorce in her future and her taking him for everything she's got. And the biggest irritant is the woman in the orange dress who says, "we're not awkward people.” Yes you are.

That one always has me scratching my head because they're advertising for a free weekend.

• Love 5
4 hours ago, smittykins said:

I haven't seen it lately, but the one where the woman says "I was looking for a man not only for myself, but for my son..."  Unless she's a widow, he HAS a father.  Of course, it's possible that he's taken off and wants nothing to do with him anymore, but it still rubs me the wrong way.

Wait, someone REALLY thinks it's a good idea to have a total stranger met online to help co-parent their child? Yikes!  Poor kid!

And I thought just using online folks to date on one's own was dicey enough (and I can't stand any of those ads)!

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Blergh said:

Wait, someone REALLY thinks it's a good idea to have a total stranger met online to help co-parent their child? Yikes!  Poor kid!

And I thought just using online folks to date on one's own was dicey enough (and I can't stand any of those ads)!

Very creepy ad. 

• Love 3

I don't know that the product is, but another annoying ad is the one where the couple is going to grandma's house for dinner, and woman tells her husband/boyfriend not to wear the Oakland Raiders* sweater because grandma wouldn't like it.  The asshole puts the jersey on anyway and the smug look on his face makes me want to smack him.  Of course, when they're sitting at the dinner table he looks stupid with the Oakland Raiders sweater all lit up and grandma gets up from the table, and the dog growls.  I actually fault the woman a little for taking him along; she should have gone alone and enjoyed the family dinner.   

*If someone came to my house in a Dallas Cowboys sweater they just.wouldn't.eat.

• Love 13
39 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

I don't know that the product is, but another annoying ad is the one where the couple is going to grandma's house for dinner, and woman tells her husband/boyfriend not to wear the Oakland Raiders* sweater because grandma wouldn't like it.  The asshole puts the jersey on anyway and the smug look on his face makes me want to smack him.  Of course, when they're sitting at the dinner table he looks stupid with the Oakland Raiders sweater all lit up and grandma gets up from the table, and the dog growls.  I actually fault the woman a little for taking him along; she should have gone alone and enjoyed the family dinner.   

*If someone came to my house in a Dallas Cowboys sweater they just.wouldn't.eat.

He's just like all Oakland Raider fans.  I know this from experience.

• Love 7
6 minutes ago, Silver Raven said:

Wow, I don't know much about Raiders fans. 

Also, that family was very nice to him because all grandma did was walk away from the table.  I've got a couple crazy uncles who would have shown him mercy and just kneecapped him. 

• Love 5

Not sure what the commercial is for but the voiceover says something about people who like grocery bags that break, turnstiles that don't work, a bad haircut, crowded subways and pouring coffee on yourself. It just makes my skin crawl for some reason. Especially the lady with the coffee.

• Love 4
28 minutes ago, configdotsys said:

Not sure what the commercial is for but the voiceover says something about people who like grocery bags that break, turnstiles that don't work, a bad haircut, crowded subways and pouring coffee on yourself. It just makes my skin crawl for some reason. Especially the lady with the coffee.

That's one of those Directv commercials.  I hate hate hate the noise that first lady makes with the grocery bags that break. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Ohwell said:

I don't know that the product is, but another annoying ad is the one where the couple is going to grandma's house for dinner, and woman tells her husband/boyfriend not to wear the Oakland Raiders* sweater because grandma wouldn't like it.

1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

LOL - My son is a Raiders fan, which is a little touchy here in Patriots land.  However, I just learned in a conversation with my daughter-in-law that both she and I have been hunting for that light-up Raiders sweater as a Christmas gift for him.  Fortunately for both of us, it's sold out everywhere in his size, since paying $79.99 + $10. shipping is a little pricey just for a joke.  The ad, by the way is for the NFL Shop, and apparently it's doing its job!

ETA:  The November 19 Pats/Raiders game was a good one for 90% of my family.       Pats 33 - Raiders 8

Edited by Tunia
  • Love 3

8 HOURS AGO, OHWELL SAID:

Hell, I wouldn't even let them in the door...

Redskins fans? Left DC in 1984, I can still sing the stupid fight song. Moved there in 1973, was informed that I had to love the 'skins. I answered that as I was from KC and had been a Chiefs fan since they became Chiefs, I would continue to support my home town team. Thus began a 12 hate relationship with the 'skins. And my total disinterest in football.

Now, to an irritating commercial, Credit Sesame, woman talking about credit strategy. Every time she says "strategy" I think she has too many teeth in her mouth.

8 hours ago, friendperidot said:

Redskins fans? Left DC in 1984, I can still sing the stupid fight song. Moved there in 1973, was informed that I had to love the 'skins. I answered that as I was from KC and had been a Chiefs fan since they became Chiefs, I would continue to support my home town team. Thus began a 12 hate relationship with the 'skins. And my total disinterest in football.

We're not all bad.  There are also many Steelers fans here and they're my second favorite team.

On ‎11‎/‎30‎/‎2017 at 5:23 PM, CoderLady said:

E*Trade has a series of these "Don't get mad, get even" flavored ads all meant to stoke resentment of anyone who has more stuff than you.

Stock trading, even using E*Trade, is a labor-intensive activity. You have to constantly monitor what's going on and make decisions and adjustments. There's probably some short-term gain for E*Trade in getting people to sign up knowing that a large number of investors will find it to be too much work. Sort of like a gym membership right after New Year's. Anyway, I tend to be suspicious of anyone trying to use envy and spite to sell me something. Sorry, guys -- rile up someone else. 

I've seen a couple other ads from that campaign with that "wealth envy" message. I hate them!

• Love 7

then the one saying it means more because you have to pay to use it, she's all about the money, I see divorce in her future and her taking him for everything she's got. 

Not that it makes the commercial any better, but that just means that there are likely to be fewer total dirtbags than there would be using a free dating site; the effort and commitment to pay is, I suppose, an indication that the site's users are actually serious about finding someone.

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 4
On ‎12‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 7:03 PM, MaryPatShelby said:

How do we know she hasn't called 911? Maybe the police are on the way, or have been there and left, and now she wants a home security system to hopefully prevent this from ever happening again.  Honestly, it did not occur to me for a minute that she hadn't already called the police.

It's the fact that it looks like the robbery just happened.  I wouldn't be calling the alarm company before I'd even cleaned up.

• Love 3
4 hours ago, TattleTeeny said:

Not that it makes the commercial any better, but that just means that there are likely to be fewer total dirtbags than there would be using a free dating site; the effort and commitment to pay is, I suppose, an indication that the site's users are actually serious about finding someone.

When this discussion comes around, I trot out my story of having joined eHarmony for a month many, many years ago.

I filled out all the seemingly endless questions, making it quite clear what a liberal, feminist, treehugger I am. I crafted a thoughtful summary of my personality, mentioning that I am a strict vegetarian.

One of my first "matches", based on their oh-so-scientific compatibility measurements? A conservative HUNTER.

Never again.

• Love 20
On 12/9/2017 at 4:42 PM, legaleagle53 said:

I've never seen the commercial, but I take your point.  It's cute when it's a little girl "dancing" with her father, but when it's a grown-ass woman? That's not cute.  That's pathetic.

I also hate her white toenails. Don't ask me why, but it's all I fixate on in that commercial. 

• Love 4

I don’t like online dating either, @bilgistic. I know so many people that it worked truly well for, and I did meet a few cool enough guys during my short stint at it—the problem being that, while I would totally have recommended them to single friends, they just somehow didn’t do it for me (in the grand scheme of web-dating fiascos, it could have been much, much worse!). I’m just not wired that way (no pun intended); even if it’s just a few minutes, I need it to be in person to know if there’s a decent amount of spark (which by NO MEANS indicates that all my sparks were great choices, ahahaahahaa!).

Edited by TattleTeeny
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, TattleTeeny said:

I don’t like online dating either, @bilgistic. I know so many people that it worked truly well for, and I did meet a few cool enough guys during my short stint at it—the problem being that, while I would totally have recommended them to single friends, they just somehow didn’t do it for me (in the grand scheme of web-dating fiascos, it could have been much, much worse!). I’m just not wired that way (no pun intended); even if it’s just a few minutes, I need it to be in person to know if there’s a decent amount of spark (which by NO MEANS indicates that all my sparks were great choices, ahahaahahaa!).

My longest relationship was from online dating, but it was a million years ago (11ish). I dated the guy for 3.5 years, but we were better friends than anything else.

Online dating is like the Wild West now. No thanks.

The girl in the iPad ad who doesn't know what a computer is, is Hannah Alligood, who is one of the actors in the TV series "Better Things", on FX network.  The actress who plays her mother was nominated for an Emmy last year.  Hannah Alligood's character is gender questioning on the show.

• Love 1

I finally saw the "what's a computer?" commercial last night, which I didn't realize was that commercial until the line came at the end, and it was disappointing because that was a pretty cute commercial - which is quite a compliment, since I don't like kids - until then.  I liked seeing the variety of activities in which the girl was engaged, even though she needed to look up from her tablet from time to time.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, bilgistic said:

I filled out all the seemingly endless questions....

I also filled out the seemingly endless questionnaire...only to be told afterwards that there were no matches in my area.

Thus endeth the Great eHarmony Experiment.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Silver Raven said:

The girl in the iPad ad who doesn't know what a computer is, is Hannah Alligood, who is one of the actors in the TV series "Better Things", on FX network.  The actress who plays her mother was nominated for an Emmy last year.  Hannah Alligood's character is gender questioning on the show.

That’s interesting to know. I originally thought the child in the ad was a boy. Then, in one airing, I noticed the child was wearing nail polish. My first thought was that  it might be a child in transition. 

• Love 1
9 hours ago, bilgistic said:

When this discussion comes around, I trot out my story of having joined eHarmony for a month many, many years ago.

I filled out all the seemingly endless questions, making it quite clear what a liberal, feminist, treehugger I am. I crafted a thoughtful summary of my personality, mentioning that I am a strict vegetarian.

One of my first "matches", based on their oh-so-scientific compatibility measurements? A conservative HUNTER.

Never again.

But did your match look enough like you to be a sibling?

The awful off-key voice in the Subway commercial “singing” “Reuben, on a Sunday afternoon” or whatthefuckever makes me want to burn down all the Subways in town and then take out their ad offices too because that voice is horrific.

• Love 4

Shriners Hospital does wonderful work. It does. Countless people have benefited and the world is a better thing for having Shriners.

That said, the commercials are about the most exploitative thing I've seen

• Love 19
1 hour ago, docmatt said:

Shriners Hospital does wonderful work. It does. Countless people have benefited and the world is a better thing for having Shriners.

That said, the commercials are about the most exploitative thing I've seen

They're competing with St. Jude's for donations.  I like them both for the work they do, but I do think that Shriners tries to milk it a bit more with that adorable kid in the wheelchair.   

• Love 4
12 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

That stupid French manicure. Ugh. Ugly as hell. 

Yeah that's what it is.  I couldn't remember the name.  I don't get manicures/pedicures, but I thought that style wasn't a "thing" anymore so I was surprised to see her toenails.

• Love 4