Type keyword(s) to search

Commercials That Annoy, Irritate or Outright Enrage

Message added by PrincessPurrsALot,

Key rules:  Stay on topic; go to Small Talk with things not about commercials; be civil; no politics. 

• Start Topic

OK, it may be an UO but here goes: I have no interest in seeing "The Last Jedi". Hence; putting tie ins to ads for that movie doesn't motivate me in the slightest to buy anything I wouldn't have otherwise bought. Then again, even tie ins to movies I'd like to see don't spur me to buy stuff I  wouldn't have otherwise bought.

Edited by Blergh
not have
  • Love 12
20 hours ago, Brattinella said:

I just saw an ad for Ancestry-DNA.  As a Christmas GIFT!  I swear to God, NOBODY better even try to give me such a presumptuous gift!  They will get it right back!

Whereas I would love to get that as a Christmas gift.  I want to do it, but can't afford it.

Edited to note that I wouldn't give it to anyone who hadn't previously expressed an interest in dna testing. 

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

Is anyone else unable to stand the "presents for them, Kohls cash for you!" lady? 

(I suspect there's a longer version of this commercial than the one I've been seeing, and my guess is that she's less annoying with more context, but when all they show is her saying that, it's obnoxious.)

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, janie jones said:

Is anyone else unable to stand the "present for them, Kohls cash for you!" lady? 

(I suspect there's a longer version of this commercial than the one I've been seeing, and my guess is that she's less annoying with more context, but when all they show is her saying that, it's obnoxious.)

Yes, she is very annoying.  Also, her facial expression is one of pain or hatred, not encouraging someone to buy!

• Love 2

QUOTE Hate the car commercial with the girl and her snowglobe.

Yeah, not everybody thinks an unexpected snowstorm is a good thing.

The thing that bugs me but also makes me laugh is that in the snow storm version of this is that she shakes the globe because she sees everyone looking down at their phones.  Snow storm hits, everyone looks up, she smiles - BUT - we all just know that a split second after they look up everyone is now recording the snow storm on their phones!

• Love 6
17 hours ago, Blergh said:

OK, it may be an UO but here goes: I no interest in seeing "The Last Jedi". Hence; putting tie ins to ads for that movie doesn't motivate me in the slightest to buy anything I wouldn't have otherwise bought. Then again, even tie ins to movies I'd like to see don't spur me to buy stuff I  wouldn't have otherwise bought.

My problem with the tie-ins is the ad for Nissan, I think, where they use music adjacent to the Star Wars theme, but not quite the SW theme, and it bugs me.

If you can’t get John Williams, don’t use a knockoff.

• Love 6
On ‎12‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, Ohwell said:

Speaking of diamonds, the commercial that really makes me stabby is the one where it's not enough to just give her one diamond, he has to give her two-one for her being his lover, and the other one for her being his friend.  I just wonder how many guys are dumb enough to fall for that crap, and how many women are greedy enough to expect it. 

Funny you'd say that, I was just telling my husband what a brilliant marketing scheme/scam THAT is.

• Love 5
On 12/11/2017 at 7:23 PM, kirinan said:

I also hate her white toenails. Don't ask me why, but it's all I fixate on in that commercial. 

Same here. The white toenails register in my brain as claws. Ew.

• Love 2
On 12/20/2017 at 6:56 AM, Haleth said:

I was at a party this past weekend and someone randomly said "dilly dilly."  I think it's sticking, people.

My son, who is of prime bar-patron age, says that he and his friends call out "Dilly Dilly" whenever they get another round.  Apparently it's become quite a thing at "their" bar.

• Love 7
On 12/19/2017 at 10:56 PM, Maverick said:

Hate the car commercial with the girl and her snowglobe.   It starts innocent enough.  She shakes the snowglobe and it starts to snow on the city.  Awww, cute, right?  Then she stares at two figures in the globe hugging and a woman on the street starts hugging a random guy.  Then she she starts making it rain hundreds of man dolls on the city.   Then she winds the music box in the globe and everyone in the city is compelled to dance.  She like some creepy ass demon child from a Twilight Zone episode.  Mommy and Daddy need to get the little monster an exorcist for Christmas but I'm sure they've long since had any free will purged but the devil spawn in live in a perpetual state of silent fear.

I want to slap that entitled girl upside the head and wipe the mascara off her face,

• Love 6
On 12/20/2017 at 5:16 PM, Tunia said:

My d-in-law  has elected herself to be the family's genealogist as she has an interest in all things vintage.  Her Santa wish last year was for the Ancestry DNA kit, so I happily set out to fulfill.  I ordered the kit online one evening at about 9 p.m., only to see their 30% discount ad appear the next day. Of course I phoned their Customer Service fully expecting to get the discount applied since I had ordered it just a few hours too early.  "Mmmmmm...Sorry, no can do!"  Really???  I was floored they wouldn't grant it, and haggled until they agreed on their "best offer" of one month's free membership to their service.  The service was an "extra" for d-in-law, but I would have preferred the $30 savings.  She was thrilled, though, so all's good in the end.

My son wanted one this year so I got it for him. We know that we're Norwegian and Native American (we are Norwindian)  and he's hoping we can find more of our Native American side. 

• Love 5

There are so many commercials that make my teeth curl, including just about all pharmaceutical ads, but the one I find myself cringing at just now is for Stouffer's lasagne.  A football coach says, amid scenes of him coaching and dining with adolescent boys,  he "hungers" to turn young men into athletes.  Something about it just hits all the wrong notes for me.  I asked my daughter the mental health clinician what she thought about it:  "It's creepy as f***, Mom."  

• Love 6
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I think I freaked out my mother and my best friend yesterday by yelling at the Ancestry commercial with the woman and her Nigerian hat talking about "finding her culture".  No, you found your ancestry, honey; your culture is what you're living now.  ARGHHHHHH!  (Can you tell that annoys the crap out of me?)

Lulz, I did the exact same thing! I yelled "You're an American! Your culture is fucking baseball, apple pie and mom!" My son looked at me like there were lobsters coming out of my mouth. "Uh, it's gonna be okay, mom."

• Love 17

There is an article on cracked about how the DNA testing systems are pretty inaccurate. 

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2522-inside-shady-world-dna-testing-companies.html

Can't stand those Verizon commercials with Thomas Middleditch. 

And I like him on Silicon Valley.  Just in those commercials they irritate the hell out of me.  All of them, for different reasons.  Starting with how he dresses, like a 10 year old who was told to dress himself up

• Love 3
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

There is an article on cracked about how the DNA testing systems are pretty inaccurate. 

http://www.cracked.com/personal-experiences-2522-inside-shady-world-dna-testing-companies.html

And I like him on Silicon Valley.  Just in those commercials they irritate the hell out of me.  All of them, for different reasons.  Starting with how he dresses, like a 10 year old who was told to dress himself up

As a forensic scientist who worked in  labs starting in 1983 - watching DNA testing go from dream to reality - I have real problems with the linked article above. First. I see this is a humor website. There is a lot of stuff in that article that is BS. I'm saying this as someone who is skeptical of what DNA testing can tell about your ancestry. I'm familiar with markers used for identification - does this blood, semen, other body fluid/cell sample come from this person. You need more than saliva - you need cells, where DNA is. They may say saliva, but what they are talking about is a cheek swab - you take a cotton swab and rub it on the inside of your cheek. So yes, you are getting saliva, but what you need are the epithelial cells that contain the DNA. So much of what that article says about samples is wrong. But I do doubt that these companies can tell you about where you came from are accurate, but then I'm not familiar with the basis of their conclusions. I think good old genealogy research is the best way to go. May not be helpful in everyone's case past a certain generation, but probably more accurate.

• Love 7
19 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I think I freaked out my mother and my best friend yesterday by yelling at the Ancestry commercial with the woman and her Nigerian hat talking about "finding her culture".  No, you found your ancestry, honey; your culture is what you're living now.  ARGHHHHHH!  (Can you tell that annoys the crap out of me?)

She's the one who annoys me least.  At least she realizes it's kind of silly to get emotional over a hat.  The one who bugs me no end is the woman who doesn't know the difference between nationality and ethnicity.

• Love 6

My nephew's MIL had it done and she's all bent out of shape that she was told she's got Irish & French in her background. She says, "Nobody in the family EVER said that."  She kept on saying that while I was trying to tell her what bullshit those "tests" are.  That woman is so goddamn annoying. I feel sorry for my nephew. Her own daughter tells her she made her point ten minutes ago, please stop talking.

She's a Southerner from 'way back; the rest of us are nothern transplants and family background just isn't as important to us as it seems to be for South Carolinians.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Love 2
11 hours ago, chessiegal said:

As a forensic scientist who worked in  labs starting in 1983 - watching DNA testing go from dream to reality - I have real problems with the linked article above. First. I see this is a humor website. There is a lot of stuff in that article that is BS. I'm saying this as someone who is skeptical of what DNA testing can tell about your ancestry. I'm familiar with markers used for identification - does this blood, semen, other body fluid/cell sample come from this person. You need more than saliva - you need cells, where DNA is. They may say saliva, but what they are talking about is a cheek swab - you take a cotton swab and rub it on the inside of your cheek. So yes, you are getting saliva, but what you need are the epithelial cells that contain the DNA. So much of what that article says about samples is wrong. But I do doubt that these companies can tell you about where you came from are accurate, but then I'm not familiar with the basis of their conclusions. I think good old genealogy research is the best way to go. May not be helpful in everyone's case past a certain generation, but probably more accurate.

Yes it is a humor website and it does seem not all the information is unbiased or checked for accuracy.  I have read many of their articles.  They seem to vary widely from almost all opinion defending a position to straight facts repeated.

What concerned me the most though was hearing twins submitted tests to the same company with different answers. 

And it does bring up the legitimate point of there is not a good way to know for sure the accuracy of the information  Even if you research your own ancestry and know what to expect, people and relatives lie, both purposely or just passing on what they have heard or know.  Happens way more frequently than any of us care to admit.  So then it comes down to do you believe your relatives or the test?  There is no good way to answer that. 

I have considered doing the testing myself, but the article at the very least made me stop and think about the potential error rate or spread of the test.  There are two or 3 different companies out there.  If I were to do the testing I would probably check with at least a couple different ones and compare the results. 

13 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I couldn't figure out why people in here knew and kept saying this guy's name, so I looked him up.  I've never seen anything this guy's been in other than the Verizon commercials.  Here I was thinking he was some anonymous commercial actor!

19 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

And it does bring up the legitimate point of there is not a good way to know for sure the accuracy of the information  Even if you research your own ancestry and know what to expect, people and relatives lie, both purposely or just passing on what they have heard or know.  Happens way more frequently than any of us care to admit.  So then it comes down to do you believe your relatives or the test?  There is no good way to answer that.

Not only that, but maybe they're 100% right that the family came from Italy in 1902, but had no idea that they went from Germany to Italy in 1870 or something.

Edited by janie jones
  • Love 1

The article talked about triplets getting different results, not twins, let alone identical twins. Triplets could all be fraternal and therefore you'd expect different results. My oldest granddaughters are twins. When they were born, they had one placenta. The doctor said they could be identical or their placentas could have fused. I told a friend of mine who was supervisor of a DNA crime lab. She said she had someone in training that she couldn't give real crime scene samples to, so told me to get cheek swabs and she'd have her trainee run them under her supervision. Turns out they were identical twins. A properly accredited DNA laboratory does credible work. Sounds to me that these ancestry DNA labs may not be properly regulated. I'm not familiar with what markers they're using, but there was a lot of misinformation and BS in that article.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Haleth said:

She's the one who annoys me least.  At least she realizes it's kind of silly to get emotional over a hat.  The one who bugs me no end is the woman who doesn't know the difference between nationality and ethnicity.

Oh, I hate her too.  And the guy who ditches his lederhosen for a kilt.

• Love 12

The Jergens commercial with Leslie Mann and her daughter drives me insane. The way the daughter says, "Mom, I'm twenTeeeeee." Emphasis on the T sound big time. Listen, Apatows. If your daughters make it bigger than your own shitty movies and Jergens commercials, I'll be really surprised. 

• Love 6

Gotta jump on board the hatred for the iPad “what’s a computer?” Ad.  I hated it the first time I saw it and my hatred continues to grow.  Here’s what I hate...

the music.  It’s irritating as hell.

the “what’s a computer?” line.  It’s bullshit.  We are not anywhere close to the point where “what’s a computer?” Is a question anyone is asking.  Therefore, the kid comes across as a little techno-hipster smart ass.  

The girl boy.  I know, the indistinctness of the kid’s gender is supposed to be another hip, forward-thinking element...you know, iPads are for people who are open-minded and not bound by mundane convention and are a part of a modern world free of old-world constraints and all that good stuff, but I can’t help it...I hate that stuff in commercials that are trying to sell crap.  I’m sorry, but whenever I see a same sex couple or some other element like that in an ad it feels completely manipulative and forced and inauthentic.  I can hear the ad execs saying “we need to get on this whole lbgtq thing pronto! Those people have money to spend too!”

• Love 8
9 hours ago, chessiegal said:

The article talked about triplets getting different results, not twins, let alone identical twins. Triplets could all be fraternal and therefore you'd expect different results. My oldest granddaughters are twins. When they were born, they had one placenta. The doctor said they could be identical or their placentas could have fused. I told a friend of mine who was supervisor of a DNA crime lab. She said she had someone in training that she couldn't give real crime scene samples to, so told me to get cheek swabs and she'd have her trainee run them under her supervision. Turns out they were identical twins. A properly accredited DNA laboratory does credible work. Sounds to me that these ancestry DNA labs may not be properly regulated. I'm not familiar with what markers they're using, but there was a lot of misinformation and BS in that article.

Even if they are not identical twins/triplets, they had the exact same set of parents.  And we are not talking about specific traits being matched exactly, but just a similar match at  in terms of the nationalities. Just by having the same set of parents even if they are not identicals, you would think the results would at least be similar in terms of heritage results.

I certainly don't believe everything in the article, but just the general points of the article that 1.  these DNA testing things are not tightly regulated and 2.  I don't know of any good studies or testing done to know how accurate the results are that they are producing I think are things to consider when interpreting any results they give. 

• Love 3
On 12/27/2017 at 8:55 PM, Tunia said:

"Hi - I'm Courtney and I've been single for a long time because I'm always traveling."

https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wsO2/match-com-match-stories-courtney

No, Courtney, you've been single for a long time because you're ANNOYING!

In this day an age nobody in a commercial for a dating site shouldn't be exclaiming "come find me" like that. There are too many people (mostly guys I'd think) who'd take that literally. 

• Love 10

The "Elite Singles" ads make me want to hurl or roll my eyes, or both.  The guy is preening in the mirror and gets this "I'm so handsome I can't stand it" look in his eyes while the lounge singer sings "never more ready to fall in love again".   So I guess the people who use this dating site are self-absorbed, somewhat sleazy jerks.  The one with the woman isn't much better - she clearly thinks she's hot stuff, too.  And of course there's that annoying song again.

Another ad I hate is the one for Jaguar where the woman gets a frickin' Jaguar for Christmas and the first thing she says is, "Why are there so many miles on it?"  Gah!  What an ingrate!

Then there are the ads for Wayfair - "drop the mic" where people drop their smartphones (stupid), and "done is fun" where they're all dancing around because it's so easy to buy stuff online and they got free shipping (in Wayfair's case, it's free shipping because their stuff is way overpriced to begin with).  

So many ads to hate.

• Love 15

Two words:  Deal Dash.

Did she get that awful wig on Deal Dash?

The Weight Watchers Freestyle commercials are getting on my last nerve. I hate watching people stuff their faces and Oprah acting all Jo Anne Worley doesn't help either.

• Love 18
11 hours ago, LillyB said:

I am hating the Jergen's mom

Leslie Mann?

the woman who is shilling for Clorex

Nora Dunn?

I can't help with the other.

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 2

I am hating the Jergen's mom

the one who is so intrusive into her adult daughter's personal grooming? Me too! I used to love the original Jergen's lotion, the almond cherry scent! I used that for a 100 yrs...well maybe 30 or so years. I don't know if it's still available, but I have so many skin allergies now, I don't know if I'd try any of their new products. I have to stay with the very cheap. I've found the very cheap have fewer chemicals and I have fewer skin breakouts. I use a thick cream that I get at one grocery store in town, for $1. Since I don't have a car and that store is several miles, I stock up when I get a ride or I end up paying $5-$7 on Amazon, still worth it to me.

• Love 3

Can we stop calling women in commercials "bitches"? (Yogurt bitch, etc.) It's clearly meant as an insult to women in general and has a misogynistic undertone. There's no male equivalent, or if there is, it's not been used in the commercial threads.

• Love 9
26 minutes ago, bilgistic said:

Can we stop calling women in commercials "bitches"? (Yogurt bitch, etc.) It's clearly meant as an insult to women in general and has a misogynistic undertone. There's no male equivalent, or if there is, it's not been used in the commercial threads.

Not to women in general, just to these women in particular -- and nowadays, it's even being used on men (ever hung out in a gay bar?  It's practically a term of endearment in the gay community!).  The male equivalent is "bastard," and the reason you never hear it in the commercial threads is that calling the legitimacy of a man's birth into question these days (which is what the word originally meant) doesn't have the derogatory force it once did now that many people are no longer bothering to get married before having children.

• Love 7
On 12/20/2017 at 5:49 PM, Brattinella said:

I just saw an ad for Ancestry-DNA.  As a Christmas GIFT!  I swear to God, NOBODY better even try to give me such a presumptuous gift!  They will get it right back!

A number of members of my family got the DNA test, and my brother even bought it for my dad.  I don't get it.  My brother's results showed exactly what we already knew about our ancestry, no surprises. 

I have no interest in getting a test done, I can't imagine that it would yield any information that would be worth the $$. Especially since the info would be essentially the same as my brother's.

ETA: I understand that some people are interested in getting this info. My family member who did the test used the company " 23 and me" because it also screened for genetic health markers.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 2