Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, Zella said:

I find it hilarious the publisher wanted another go-around with them after the shitshow that was the last book. I wonder if they were dumb enough to sign these two to a multiple-book deal initially, so they're stuck with them, and here we are. 

I just checked the Amazon sales rankings, and based on those, it seems that their first book is still selling six months after release and after Josh's arrest. Not at bestseller level or anything, but about as well as other midlist books a year or so post release. 

It's possible, of course, that they signed a multiple book deal. But given that these books are in wildly different genres, I think it's more likely that the first book sold/continues to sell decently enough that the publisher was willing to take another chance - with a warning to the marketing/promotional folks to not expect much if any help from the authors. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, quarks said:

I just checked the Amazon sales rankings, and based on those, it seems that their first book is still selling six months after release and after Josh's arrest. Not at bestseller level or anything, but about as well as other midlist books a year or so post release. 

It's possible, of course, that they signed a multiple book deal. But given that these books are in wildly different genres, I think it's more likely that the first book sold/continues to sell decently enough that the publisher was willing to take another chance - with a warning to the marketing/promotional folks to not expect much if any help from the authors. 

That does make sense. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when they warned the marketing people. LOL "Dead authors would be of more help to you than these two." 

• LOL 17
44 minutes ago, Zella said:

That does make sense. I would love to have been a fly on the wall when they warned the marketing people. LOL "Dead authors would be of more help to you than these two." 

More like the heirs of the author are too lazy to actually work and rely upon the dead author's work to pay the bills.  

I still do not understand why the Vuolos did not promote the hell out of their first book.  Yes, you got paid your advance (minus their agent's cut and taxes), but why leave potential money on the table in terms of royalties.  Scheduling in some book tweets and Instagram posts is not that onerous when you are already doing scheduled promoted posts and mapping out your next restaurant or kicks.  It's not like Jeremy and Jinger are not already doing life for the Gram.  

I only know of 3 authors who do less work on social media than the Vuolos did for their book and have sold tens of thousands of books--Elena Ferrante, Jonathan Franzen, and Sally Rooney.  Of course, in those 3 cases the work speaks for itself.  (And I don't even like Franzen or Rooney).

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
4 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

More like the heirs of the author are too lazy to actually work and rely upon the dead author's work to pay the bills.  

I still do not understand why the Vuolos did not promote the hell out of their first book.  Yes, you got paid your advance (minus their agent's cut and taxes), but why leave potential money on the table in terms of royalties.  Scheduling in some book tweets and Instagram posts is not that onerous when you are already doing scheduled promoted posts and mapping out your next restaurant or kicks.  It's not like Jeremy and Jinger are not already doing life for the Gram.  

I only know of 3 authors who do less work on social media than the Vuolos did for their book and have sold tens of thousands of books--Elena Ferrante, Jonathan Franzen, and Sally Rooney.  Of course, in those 3 cases the work speaks for itself.  (And I don't even like Franzen or Rooney).

Yes I was shocked by their laziness. Even if they were concerned about the Josh thing, they could have turned off comments. And I don't think Josh being arrested affected their marketing plan too, too much because they were so lazy about the whole thing way before that was even a factor. It was like they forgot they had a book coming out, which is just the absolute antithesis of every writer I've ever known. 

• Love 13
4 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Certainly might have happened, but I don't think it necessarily did.....Because the same ugly fact obtains, regardless of whether this was a new contract or a continuation, doesn't it? 

Book sales are slow these days but "celebrity" stuff still sells. Their sales were a sure thing. not fantastic sales but still, just enough to bring in some profit.

Whereas somebody can write a fantastic children's book that gets brilliantly reviewed by 25 publications and authoritative websites. And if the author's somebody people don't "know," the thing won't sell at all. ....   So if you're selling books, you'll go with the sure thing. And since the sure thing is "celebrities," that means the sure thing is often also "idiots." 

It's disgusting how much this will go to their heads. As if Jer needs more boosts for his absurd ego. 

There's their celebrity, and there's also the Vuolos target demographic. People looking to read Christian books will buy absolutely anything with that label. It's a very easy market to sell to, because all they're looking for is no sex and anything that could interpreted as a Christian message.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

That sounds suspiciously like actual work and Jeremee don't like that. It gets in the way of posting pics of Nike's and food.

Edited by galaxygirl76
  • LOL 2
  • Love 10
1 hour ago, jojo3couleurs said:

She doesn’t even know ‘what’ Harvard is. 

'What's a Harvard' - Jinger probably. 

Baseball season is over so they had to pack up their Dodger gear, guess Harvard is the new Dodgers even though it's nowhere near them. Very pretentious though so that tracks with Jeremy's tastes. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 15
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Jer's brother gave them that sweatshirt. He's a digital-media producer for Harvard Business School's fairly massive online operation. 

I'm guessing he knew how much the shirt would appeal to his little brother's pretentiousness. 😁

I had no idea that Jeremy had a brother.

• LOL 1
12 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

6485054C-8D75-4438-B304-A0281206E8EB.jpeg

Dingus like with her mouth wide open. And wearing a Harvard sweatshirt when she did not even go to college 😂🙄🤪

I don't understand the gaping mouth pose.  It just looks stupid.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 10
6 hours ago, Westiepeach said:
13 hours ago, Bayarea4 said:

College? She didn't even go to high school.

High school? She didn't even go to elementary school!

Elementary school? She didn't even go to preschool!

• LOL 10
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

They're on vacation? It's not a holiday. 

For the Vuolos, "vacation" = Monday through Thursday, "holiday" = Friday and Saturday, and Sunday is a day of rest and online shopping for new kicks.

9 hours ago, MsJamieDornan said:

Shaking my head at the Harvard sweatshirt.

The comments were pretty gold.....the haters versus the humpers.  Quite the spirited debate!

• LOL 7
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

For the Vuolos, "vacation" = Monday through Thursday, "holiday" = Friday and Saturday, and Sunday is a day of rest and online shopping for new kicks.

The comments were pretty gold.....the haters versus the humpers.  Quite the spirited debate!

Aren’t most fundies anti higher education nowadays? At least on SM, there is a huge anti intellectual bias. Harvard and CNN are what they hate and fear the most, it seems. What did her humpers say about it?

• Love 6
45 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

ABC2140A-6CEA-49F5-83A3-3394962E4EDB.jpeg

BAC09804-D258-4C88-821E-44199A005386.jpeg

132F120F-6F89-4317-BDDC-1942E1C44120.jpeg

87D6E7A9-10E7-4BB3-8970-79D17F10028A.jpeg

JB and his wrinkled suit 🤦🏽‍♀️. One would think a man contemplating 19 weddings would invest in a few good quality suits. 

Edited by SMama
  • LOL 5
  • Love 11
24 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

FF33BEA2-BB24-4D79-95F8-8FA2415E3C19.jpeg

C27DFBE4-0DDE-4C92-A797-B8360062A81B.jpeg

79D61F8D-E12B-4260-8767-2E6AD1D0395C.jpeg

1E8C5F14-1FE7-4F3C-8D06-3F6E19474727.jpeg

BF58A660-1292-409A-AA3D-E3A7D775426C.jpeg

9EBF1E2B-EEF9-4F4E-81D7-0A0CD864992C.jpeg

9EB07C29-B6ED-4151-9D5B-2B2C5F4F1375.jpeg

I don't really consider my husband my best friend. My best friends are two women I have known since 1979. We have been through crazy dating, boyfriends, husbands, kids and now middle age.

Is it wrong of me to not consider him that? 

• Love 17
On 11/3/2021 at 8:32 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

They're on vacation? It's not a holiday. 

referencing the picture of jinger in the mountains, they were on a day drive up to our local mountain resort area. its about 40 minutes from me and about 90 minutes from where they currently live. so probably not a vacation or a holiday. 

• Useful 3
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, libgirl2 said:

I don't really consider my husband my best friend. My best friends are two women I have known since 1979. We have been through crazy dating, boyfriends, husbands, kids and now middle age.

Is it wrong of me to not consider him that? 

Apparently their religious belief requires your spouse and a sibling to be your best friends. Then occasionally you're supposed to call your mother or your father your best friend -- at a time when you especially need extremely wise advice. 

Under the Gothard cult, unmarried people and women aren't supposed to have actual friends, best or otherwise. Pairs or groups of actual friends go straight to the devil as they all influence each other in bad ways. .... That's not a danger with sibling friends because siblings all have snitching on you as their first responsibility, so they'll cause you to be yanked out of the bad path instead. 

Slight exception to the "no friend' rule is made for adult married men (and Bill Gothard).. They can hang out in groups sometimes and talk, presumably about the bible. .. But young people, including children, and women are incapable of this. If they're allowed to have non-family friends, they all go straight to the devil. 

The scariest part is that this is all written down in multiple places by not just Gothard but a lot of these "family church" preachers. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
On 11/4/2021 at 8:55 AM, Churchhoney said:

Jer's brother gave them that sweatshirt. He's a digital-media producer for Harvard Business School's fairly massive online operation. 

I'm guessing he knew how much the shirt would appeal to his little brother's pretentiousness. 😁

This day and age, you don't want to admit you went to an Ivy league school.. Just ask recruiters. (not that she did ever go to college- dining room table doesn't get ya into college)

Edited by Boston
  • Love 1
2 minutes ago, woodscommaelle said:

Why is this? 

I really can't say in here or else I'll get booted.  But these schools are not the same as they were back in the day.  All I can say.  I went to BU  and now probably could never get a job.

Edited by Boston
  • Useful 4
6 hours ago, iwantcookies said:

FF33BEA2-BB24-4D79-95F8-8FA2415E3C19.jpeg

C27DFBE4-0DDE-4C92-A797-B8360062A81B.jpeg

I fucking hate this picture so much. On their wedding day, Jerm showed us who's number one in the relationship: Jerm. Jinger is doing that damn annoying adoring gaze she was taught to do, and Jeremy is smugly facing the camera. It reminds me of the recent Chris Pratt photo that is getting criticized where his wife is looking and smiling at him, and he's not looking back at her with love but instead looking only at the camera. 

I will say though that Jinger looked absolutely lovely on her wedding day. I think she's not the overall prettiest Duggar daughter, but she was the prettiest on the day of her wedding compared with her sisters.

• Love 23
3 minutes ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

I fucking hate this picture so much. On their wedding day, Jerm showed us who's number one in the relationship: Jerm. Jinger is doing that damn annoying adoring gaze she was taught to do, and Jeremy is smugly facing the camera. It reminds me of the recent Chris Pratt photo that is getting criticized where his wife is looking and smiling at him, and he's not looking back at her with love but instead looking only at the camera. 

I will say though that Jinger looked absolutely lovely on her wedding day. I think she's not the overall prettiest Duggar daughter, but she was the prettiest on the day of her wedding compared with her sisters.

And Jeremy’s hands in his pockets. Why? Looks so pompous and uncaring.

• Love 10
On 11/2/2021 at 8:43 PM, Quilt Fairy said:

@Lady Jane, thank you for making me laugh (and laugh) at my own embarrassing slip of the brain.  Stupid brain. 

I would like to point out, however, that Fernando Lamas and Fernando the Llama are probably..... different species? 

@Quilt Fairy -- I thought of that as I was typing it out, and I thought "if llamas is wrong I don't want to be right." (And in Spanish wouldn't even work phonetically!) I'm glad I gave you a laugh!

• LOL 5
1 hour ago, MaryAnneSpier said:

I agree with you that Jeremy is all about number one, however surely the photographer told them to stand like that? 

• Love 12