Popping into this thread because this is more of a multiple episode vent about EvilHeda, and specifically, the issue of How the Hell Is He Still Alive?
It bugs me. Because EvilHeda is only alive because:
1. Neither Lexa, Alie or any of the other Commanders were able to delete him from the Flame. We know that Alie had at least some access to the Flame in the Season 3 Finale - enough to make Clarke think that she was running through downtown Vancouver instead of the state parks around Vancouver. We also know, from Madi in season 5, that Lexa was present enough in the Flame to be able to send cheery messages to Clarke, and, from seasons 2 and 3, that Lexa was a pragmatic person who did not hesitate to kill anyone she deemed a potential threat to a lasting peace for the Grounders - a description that absolutely fits EvilHeda.
2. Somehow or other, Raven's Season Finale Computer Stunts managed to delete all of the Commanders/other info except for EvilHeda.
3. Somehow or other, Russell, who had managed to take over the minds/mental places of multiple people over his lifetimes, couldn't withstand EvilHeda.
4. Clarke and about half of Our Protagonists, including Echo, Diyoza and Octavia - any of whom could have taken out EvilHeda - happened to be on another planet during EvilHeda's return.
5. Indra - INDRA - has failed to kill him multiple times now - and even left him in rooms with weapons. Even now, in this latest episode, Indra paused to deliver some final speech or other before plunging a blade into his chest - giving him time to escape.
6. Somehow or other, Madi failed to kill EvilHeda despite stabbing him in the eye.
7. And even though Madi also failed to sanitize that knife before stabbing EvilHeda with it, bacteria ALSO failed to kill EvilHeda.
8. After agreeing not to follow Commanders anymore because the Flame was gone, and to accept Indra as their leader, the remaining Wonkru Grounders....decided to follow EvilHeda. Who, we need to point out, does not have the Flame, and thus, by their own definition, is not a Commander and not someone they need to follow.
9. The Eligius 4 group, who are all criminals with absolutely no reason to follow any of the Grounders and every reason to try to kill the Grounders and their leaders, especially after the earlier reactor incident, took one look at EvilHeda and said, sure, we'll follow this guy even though he's wearing an eyepatch and sitting on a chair made out of skulls. (Had any of them said, "You know, I'm following this guy because his first step was to get a chair made out of skulls and sit on that, and I respect that sort of dedication to evil," I would have accepted this, but no. Worse, the entire Eligius 4 group goes along with this, even though in canon the Eligius 4 group doesn't get along with each other.
10. Gabriel's group, who have been somewhat successfully working as saboteurs for years now, and who know the local area, are unable to take down EvilHeda.
11. The Sanctum group is easily tricked into believing that EvilHeda is a Prime.
12. When the Sanctum group finds out that EvilHeda is not a Prime, they pretty much go into hiding/give up instead of violently revolting, even though they have all been established as religious fanatics capable of violence.
13. After arriving on Sanctum, Cadogan decided to kill off EvilHeda's followers - who were pretty much just standing there - and not EvilHeda, the person actively challenging him.
14. The Bardo people decide to take EvilHeda - who was trying to kill them - back to Bardo and cure him, something they failed to do for their own Bardo people.
15. Cadogan then decides that instead of sending more of his trained invisible Bardo people after Madi, he will instead send EvilHeda after Madi. Even though, in script, Cadogan had a) just met EvilHeda, and knows only that b) EvilHeda likes to kill people, c) multiple people decided that hanging out in a nuclear reactor without sufficient food, water or toilet facilities was preferable to/safer than hanging out with EvilHeda, d) he had just killed EvilHeda's followers, giving EvilHeda every reason to want revenge. I know this show is based on shifting loyalties/alliances, but this one doesn't even make sense on "the enemy of my enemy is my friend" level.
(Of course, the most ridiculous part of this is that Cadogan doesn't even need Madi - he has EvilHeda, who has the exact same information from the Flame that Madi does! EvilHeda even tells Cadagon that he shared Madi's mind! Why send anyone after Madi when EvilHeda and the sketchbook are RIGHT THERE? But that's not part of the WHY IS EVILHEDA STILL ALIVE list so I'll let it go for now. Cadogan would only need to send EvilHeda after Madi if EvilHeda was a) dead or b) untrustworthy. SEE THE PROBLEM)
16. Echo just happened to be sulking during the entire KILL MADI KILL KILL KILL scenes so unable to deliver one of her patented assassinations.
17. Even after EvilHeda lost his invisible helmet, Octavia, Gaia and Indra - all trained fighters/killers - were somehow unable to kill this guy. Again.
And look, I can accept quite a lot of this. Especially the bacteria part - for a show featuring a lot of mass death, almost no one seems to die of infections, which, whatever. Maybe something in Sanctum's air kills off bacteria. I'll buy that.
What I can't accept is all of this. Because, if you check, EvilHeda's continued existence only works if virtually every other character on the show except for the dog, but including several of the extras, is either out of character or grossly incompetent in his presence. It bugs me.