Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Didn’t Jinger also get baptized at Jeremy’s Laredo church? It’s possible I am just imagining that!

I remember Jinger being there for a baptism Jeremy performed, but she didn't get baptized herself, at least not in the video I watched.

• Useful 2
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

Okay, for real - what is WITH this shoe obsession??  I mean, there has to be something to this that I'm not understanding.  How is Jeremy paying for these?  They cannot be gifts - what would be the purpose?  Is Jeremy going deeply into debt buying boxes of new kicks for himself and the wifey in the hopes that someday one of these IG pics is going to turn into a major influencer endorsement deal?  And what human adult with two small kids gets to wear perfectly clean, brand-new shoes seemingly every other day?

I think that's all my questions but man, I don't get it.

Spending hours crafting the perfectly composed photo of himself pretending to study makes him very hungry?

As I have mentioned before, the sneaker obsession is very typical in my neck of the woods. They keep the boxes, clean them up and put them away. Some have certain sneakers for the rain, picnics, etc.

Uggs and Birkenstocks are a big thing around here too. And the Uggs are cared for in much the same way the sneakers are. 

• Useful 9
  • Love 3
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

As I have mentioned before, the sneaker obsession is very typical in my neck of the woods. They keep the boxes, clean them up and put them away. Some have certain sneakers for the rain, picnics, etc.

Uggs and Birkenstocks are a big thing around here too. And the Uggs are cared for in much the same way the sneakers are. 

Does anyone know how to clean sneakers? Unlike them, I wear mine and they get dirty.

• Love 6

Sneakers are art: https://www.brooklynmuseum.org/exhibitions/rise_of_sneaker_culture/

From their modest origins in the mid-nineteenth century to high-end sneakers created in the past decade, sneakers have become a global obsession. The Rise of Sneaker Culture is the first exhibition to explore the complex social history and cultural significance of the footwear now worn by billions of people throughout the world.

The exhibition, which includes approximately 150 pairs of sneakers, looks at the evolution of the sneaker from its beginnings to its current role as status symbol and urban icon....etc.

• Useful 3
  • Love 1
3 hours ago, sheshark said:

Look, new shoes.  Panda Dunks, starting at $120.

That couple is the fundie-lite version of Imelda Marcos.  I'd love to peek in their closet to count the pairs of shoes in there.  Heh, remember when JB said Jer's closet stank (or is it stunk?) when they toured his bachelor apt. in Laredo?  

Yeah, I don't know how they live so large, aside from getting a house for free.  

• LOL 2
  • Love 10
16 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I have a pair of Ugg slippers that I got on clearance.  I call them my ruby slippers a la Dorothy in The Wizard of Oz, because they're red and shiny.  Best slippers I've ever owned.

I have no designer sneakers, though.  

• Love 2
42 minutes ago, Dehumidifier said:

When I am going to type a lot I plug in (with the aid of an adapter plug from Radio Shack) my 20 year old keyboard from my original desktop computer. It has nice real keys with a nice curve to them. I hate the flat laptop keys. That's what I think anyway. But maybe I'm just a dumbass.

They're as flat as his keyboard's keys...

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, JoanArc said:

They're as flat as his keyboard's keys...

That's my reason. I didn't say it was his reason. Maybe he likes to have space to write on so he pushes his laptop back. Then, instead of reaching over or pulling it forward to type, he uses the separate keyboard that he can put in front of him and place in his lap when he needs space to write. Or maybe he figures using a separate keyboard reduces wear and tear on his laptop. There could be many reasons for using a separate keyboard other than being a dumbass as other people have explained above.

• Love 4
56 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Does anyone know how to clean sneakers? Unlike them, I wear mine and they get dirty.

I don't clean my sneakers, or any of my shoes, but I've been witness to spot cleaning. Anything from tissues, water, Clorox wipes and spit. For how they are cleaned at home, I have no idea.

• Love 4
15 hours ago, CandyCaneTree said:

This morning I got a email from the library saying that my number was reached and The Hope We Hold was waiting for me. Because I worked Labor Day I am off today. I drove to pick it up and I started reading it and I hope that I will finish it. I think that it is drool,boring and very uninteresting. 

Please give us a review!

• Love 2
1 hour ago, xwordfanatik said:

That couple is the fundie-lite version of Imelda Marcos.  I'd love to peek in their closet to count the pairs of shoes in there.  Heh, remember when JB said Jer's closet stank (or is it stunk?) when they toured his bachelor apt. in Laredo?  

Yeah, I don't know how they live so large, aside from getting a house for free.  

It really doesn’t make sense. I don’t pay rent right now as I’m living with my elderly mom, and I still don’t have much extra money.

10 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Mr. Clean Magic Eraser 

I tried that once and was afraid it was taking the color from my shoes.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 hours ago, Zella said:

I was also wondering WTF that was. I don't have the greatest eyesight in the world and wondered if the problem was my vision or the food. 

I think it’s cheese and cracker with either smoked salmon or some type of ham and a dollop of mustard on top.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Don’t Protestants in general look down on revering any earthly “leader?” I don’t have the right words, but I thought that was one problem they had with the Catholic Church- following the Pope.

That was true of the founding minds of Protestantism, way back when......But for a long time now, Protestantism's been in the hand of regular people, including all the non-thinking kind. And regular people are herd animals, who like to follow the leader, as far as I can tell! ...And then, of course, people who love power got wind of that trend among Protestants....And....True Great Man Protestantism Was Born .....ha 

That's my story and I'm sticking to it. 😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 11
6 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

Isn’t Bin also a Calvinist? I wonder if that means Jessa is too.

Yes he is. The only big difference is that Calvinists believe that before God created Adam, He, in his infinite wisdom, pre-selected every single soul that would ever be born that could be saved. He then sent his son Jesus to die on the cross to atone for the sins of those God had “elected” to be made clean and worthy. In other words, Jesus didn’t die for everyone. He only died for the “elect.” You know you are part of the elect because you will be unable to resist God’s call. I think many folks mistakenly assume that those who think they are part of the “elect” must be really arrogant to presume that God chose them special over others to be saved, but that’s not how it works. Nothing about humans makes them worthy of being saved. God just knew somehow which souls would heed his call. 

In contrast, the Duggars likely believe that humans have free will and that anyone can choose to accept Christ as their savior, be saved, and go to heaven.

It’s a theological difference that boils down to predestination versus free will. My guess is Jim Bob doesn’t care as long as the kids believe in Jesus, read their Bibles, and submit to God’s authority (aka Jim Bob’s authority unless married).

Edited by Fallacy
  • Useful 10
  • Love 6

After listening to Jinger's speech before her "baptism 2.0", I came to the conclusion that she did not write that speech. It was handed to her, probably from Jeremy. I also think this was all due to MacArthur requiring all of his seminary students have their wives be proper members of HIS church. He obviously does not recognize and/or respect past valid baptisms. I agree with the opinion here that Jinger does not know her own mind because she was never allowed to have her own mind. "She's a good follower....Michelle Duggar."

Re:  the studying Hebrew statement from Vuolo.....If anyone knows, is lox considered a meat...because he's eating cheese with it...not Kosher perhaps.

• Love 8
58 minutes ago, floridamom said:

After listening to Jinger's speech before her "baptism 2.0", I came to the conclusion that she did not write that speech. It was handed to her, probably from Jeremy. I also think this was all due to MacArthur requiring all of his seminary students have their wives be proper members of HIS church. He obviously does not recognize and/or respect past valid baptisms. I agree with the opinion here that Jinger does not know her own mind because she was never allowed to have her own mind. "She's a good follower....Michelle Duggar."

Re:  the studying Hebrew statement from Vuolo.....If anyone knows, is lox considered a meat...because he's eating cheese with it...not Kosher perhaps.

Salmon is pareve, so salmon and cheese together are okay

• Useful 7
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Every gig I've dug into has come either directly or in a roundabout fashion through the MacArthur enterprise. 

Although by now he's had so many of them that his resume full of gigs may be capable of getting him other jobs, I suppose.  

Plus, he's a breakout teevee star, an influencer with well over a million followers (if you count his wife's, which you might as well because he's made her an appendage, basically) and a former professional athlete! Who wouldn't want to bask in his wisdom??!!!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 9
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Fallacy said:

Yes he is. The only big difference is that Calvinists believe that before God created Adam, He, in his infinite wisdom, pre-selected every single soul that would ever be born that could be saved. He then sent his son Jesus to die on the cross to atone for the sins of those God had “elected” to be made clean and worthy. In other words, Jesus didn’t die for everyone. He only died for the “elect.” You know you are part of the elect because you will be unable to resist God’s call. I think many folks mistakenly assume that those who think they are part of the “elect” must be really arrogant to presume that God chose them special over others to be saved, but that’s not how it works. Nothing about humans makes them worthy of being saved. God just knew somehow which souls would heed his call. 

In contrast, the Duggars likely believe that humans have free will and that anyone can choose to accept Christ as their savior, be saved, and go to heaven.

It’s a theological difference that boils down to predestination versus free will. My guess is Jim Bob doesn’t care as long as the kids believe in Jesus, read their Bibles, and submit to God’s authority (aka Jim Bob’s authority unless married).

Excellent explanation. I knew Calvinists believe in predestination,  but it's something I never thought much about other than just one of those details religious people get worked up over. 

Makes me wonder, what would be the point for Calvinists to preach Christianity, then? If the saved are predetermined and those souls feel the call, why does "having a heart for ministry" matter? Or do Calvinists generally not care about converting people?

• Useful 9
  • Love 8
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Dumb question, but was Jeremy also baptized at Johnny Mac Church?

Not that I've heard of, but who knows? Jer the Suckup may be so beloved of the old man that he got dunked in the MacArthurs' personal bathtub!!!

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 10
  • Love 1
33 minutes ago, lascuba said:

Makes me wonder, what would be the point for Calvinists to preach Christianity, then? If the saved are predetermined and those souls feel the call, why does "having a heart for ministry" matter? Or do Calvinists generally not care about converting people?

As far as I know, missions (i.e., conversion) have always been much less of a deal with Calvinists than with Baptists or Catholics, for example. But historically Calvinists have done missions for a few reasons....

One, they still want people to know and understand their theology because no matter what your ultimate dispensation is after death, when it comes to understanding your life rightly and the moral aspects of living it and so on, Calvinist theology speaks to those things as well.....

Calvin had a lot more to say than just "your ultimate fate is predetermined." So a ministry preaches about that other stuff. (And that's really complicated, too -- Calvinism has produced churches with very conservative principles, churches that are all about the judgmental and has also produced some of the most progressive ones, ones that emphasize charity and compassion very highly.... So that's another reason for preaching it...You need to tell people what your church thinks Calvin meant about morals and the like...

And then another reason there were missions historically is because Christian churches have always been about establishing power bases for people with different sets of religious principles, and spreading your principles of the right behavior-on-this-Earth around to more people. That's again about the massive amount of stuff in the theology that goes beyond predestination and its related ideas. 

If you're a Calvinist and you don't do any missions and conversion, you don't have a chance to talk people into believing that your view of life is the right one rather than a Baptist view or a Catholic view. 

I don't know what goes on with Calvinist conversions today, though. For one thing, for several decades now, large numbers of American Baptist theologians and pastors and seminary teachers have started saying they embrace Calvinism alongside their Baptist faith. And I haven't yet really been able to understand what the heck that really means, let alone what it means for who does missions now and why. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 10
  • Love 7
6 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

I think it’s cheese and cracker with either smoked salmon or some type of ham and a dollop of mustard on top.

Bagels and lox because he was studying Hebrew.  Stereotype, Jer.  Watched the video and they want to stay in California.  I guess they have done enough for JohnnyMac and can keep the house now.

Edited by sheshark
  • Useful 3
  • Love 4

My favorite part is that by following Calvinism, Jinger, Ben, and Jeremy are basically Puritans. They just don’t care about the “purifying “ the Church of England because it’s 2021, not 1630. Still, I’m sure they are quite concerned with purifying other modern Christian churches.

And no, predestination doesn’t mean you can just be an ass on earth because you’re predestined to be saved. It just means that your “good works” won’t save you. You should still do all things that glorify God. 

Calvinism is at its core a Protestant based theology that separates itself from the Catholic Church and upholds the five “solas” of the Reformation:

1. Sola Scriptura (“Scripture alone”): The Bible alone is our highest authority.
  2. Sola Fide (“faith alone”): We are saved through faith alone in Jesus Christ.
  3. Sola Gratia (“grace alone”): We are saved by the grace of God alone.
  4. Solus Christus (“Christ alone”): Jesus Christ alone is our Lord, Savior, and King.
  5. Soli Deo Gloria (“to the glory of God alone”): We live for the glory of God alone.

Source: https://www.christianity.com/church/church-history/the-five-solas-of-the-protestant-reformation.html

Thus, I can see no reason why Jim Bob and Michelle would have a problem with Jinger or even Jessa embracing Calvinism. I’m sure all Duggars believe in the five solos because independent Baptists are Protestant. The debate about predestination versus free will is a minor theological difference in the big picture of their basic belief system. 

I know this post is mostly about religion, but I think it is interesting to discuss exactly what these folks believe outside of their abhorrent homophobic, transphobic bigotry. 

• Useful 14
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, madpsych78 said:

Can we talk about the picture of the Duggars watching Jinger be baptized on the computer? I wonder what they are thinking. They look serious, but it could just be that they were watching her.

The Duggar’s weren’t thinking anything it’s not there job other than Jesus what else is there to think about? 

4 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Jeremy looks VERY happy to be on that stage, it’s the only times he genuinely looks happy when all the attention is on him.

• Love 11
11 hours ago, Fallacy said:

Thus, I can see no reason why Jim Bob and Michelle would have a problem with Jinger or even Jessa embracing Calvinism. I’m sure all Duggars believe in the five solos because independent Baptists are Protestant. The debate about predestination versus free will is a minor theological difference in the big picture of their basic belief system. 

Thanks - I've been wondering why Jinger's baptism is being framed as an act of rebellion against her parents, when it really doesn't seem that way at all.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, iwantcookies said:

How is Jeremeeeee not 250 pounds? I would think he’d be the size of Joshua by now.

I'm going to guess its because it just seems like he eats a ton shit of food by his posts, but we actually don't really know what he eats most of the time.

• Useful 1
  • Love 10
7 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm going to guess its because it just seems like he eats a ton shit of food by his posts, but we actually don't really know what he eats most of the time.

The posts migh tbe most/all of the food they can afford.

• Useful 1