Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

5 hours ago, floridamom said:

"One baptism for the forgiveness of sin". I was taught that baptism is ONCE and for all time. Why was it necessary for Jinger to do it again?

Attention and because her headship wanted her to?

3 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

3hxesbtuncm71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

She’s looking thinner and thinner 😥.

• Love 9

Protestants/evangelicals have SO MUCH concern ever getting saved. They didn't get saved right. They cheated. They did it wrong. God didn't count THAT time. The anxiety that they might not go to heaven is crazy. Rebaptisms/re-dedication to faith is SUPER common and very on brand. It's really unremarkable. Hell, just look at how may churches have revivals.

And yeah, it probably keeps them in the news and Johnny Mac's good graces.

• Useful 4
  • Love 19
22 minutes ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

Yeah, I grew up Catholic, so this is all very unfamiliar. I don't quite understand the point of doing good works (or even getting out of bed in the morning) if you believe you're saved no matter what.

THAT is point for them...they don't have to do good works at all because they're already saved. From there it's a hop, skip, and a jump to prosperity gospel shenanigans.

• Love 23
5 hours ago, BigBingerBro said:

3hxesbtuncm71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Judging by her body language, she's either cold or she's completely closed herself off from what's going on around her.  I'm hoping some of the thinness is filters, because otherwise she runs of the risk of becoming her own bobblehead doll.

Also, like others, I was looking hard for the cigarette she should be holding--that's a classic smoker's hand position.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

Protestants/evangelicals have SO MUCH concern ever getting saved. They didn't get saved right. They cheated. They did it wrong. God didn't count THAT time. The anxiety that they might not go to heaven is crazy. Rebaptisms/re-dedication to faith is SUPER common and very on brand. It's really unremarkable. Hell, just look at how may churches have revivals.

And yeah, it probably keeps them in the news and Johnny Mac's good graces.

You’re exactly right.  Now that I’m older there’s not a day that goes by that I don’t worry about going to Hell because maybe I didn’t REALLY get saved when I was 12.  It’s an enormous burden to bear, and I know that I will never again experience true happiness because of it.  Sorry, Mods, for getting off topic.

• LOL 3
  • Love 5

I think it's all really like "fashion." .... Somehow humans tend to feel the need to show some sign that they're really part of the group and integral to the best part of the group and fully up on what matters to the best group right now today. 

And whereas that often has to do with clothes or home decor or going to the "best" college or country club, I think it operates in a lot of religious circles too. .... You've gotta get saved and in the right way and ostentatiously to show that you're part of the right eternal clique. 

And in this case, Jingle performed this for her old clique -- The Clique of the Correct Jesus According to Duggar Types. 

But now she's joined The Clique Formed By John MacArthur, so she needs to ostentatiously show up in a new outfit of salvation or he's likely to throw hubby out of the church.....

Even if you just mow lawn or write code or wash windows or proofread at his enterprises, he does his utmost to force you to be a member in good standing of his church and no other, even one that would seem to be quite similar. So I'm sure that goes double for wives of his seminarians and employees. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 11
On 9/3/2021 at 4:41 PM, BigBingerBro said:

dn4uobog3cl71.jpg?width=640&crop=smart&a

Come to find out, the dad of shoe woman here, heyitsaimeejoy, is one of the Grace Community Church members who died of Covid. In March 2021 (about a month after Johnny M returned triumphantly to the pulpit after his (unacknowledged but likely) Covid event). Her mom was hospitalized but is recovering.

Be surprised if they didn't catch it in the massed, unmasked singing congregation of a Sunday. This church and others have killed a lot of people. But I guess it's okay cause they've all been baptized correctly and flew right to Jesus.  

Her family has a GoFundme up because they're struggling with medical bills since her dad and almost her mom died for Jesus. 

I feel no motivation to control my burgeoning disgust. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 21

This morning I got a email from the library saying that my number was reached and The Hope We Hold was waiting for me. Because I worked Labor Day I am off today. I drove to pick it up and I started reading it and I hope that I will finish it. I think that it is drool,boring and very uninteresting. 

• Useful 5
  • Love 15
12 minutes ago, xwordfanatik said:

What on earth is he eating?  Crackers with ?, some burned?  Yuck.

And what do they know about the Supremes, anyway?  Poseurs extraordinaire.

I was also wondering WTF that was. I don't have the greatest eyesight in the world and wondered if the problem was my vision or the food. 

• Love 5
7 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Here's Jinger's actual baptism. She gives a sanitized testimony beforehand. 

eta Note that the guy baptizing Jinger can't resist noting Jer attends the seminary. 

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CTlZNvPAkKz/?utm_medium=copy_link

I know Calvinist theology fairly well because I teach Puritan literature, and yes, Jinger has gone full on Calvinism. Her post even includes one of the five solas of Calvinism, and her “testimony” also included references to unconditional election and limited atonement, that make up the letters U and L in what Calvinists call the TULIP. It’s fascinating stuff and it does differ some from most modern non-denomination Christian churches and other Protestant based theology, which is basically Arminianism. This site has a chart that compares the two: https://eljasib.com/en/calvinism-vs-arminianism-five-points/

• Useful 20
  • Love 3

Are we just not going to talk about the wireless keyboard directly in front of the laptop? It has a built-in keyboard dumbass.

at this point, they’re just trolling us with the taxidermy cat in the background.

• LOL 5
  • Love 5

Who originally baptized Jinger?  Was it JB? I seem to recall his dipping several I’d the kids in the River Jordan on their Israel trip?  
maybe they decided jB wasn’t official enough? 

most Protestant churches think one baptism is enough,  with a confirmation later if baptized as an infant.  Joining a new church is usually an affirmation of sorts 

• Useful 2
  • Love 7
4 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Are we just not going to talk about the wireless keyboard directly in front of the laptop? It has a built-in keyboard dumbass.

at this point, they’re just trolling us with the taxidermy cat in the background.

I do it to. I find it easier to type on my keyboard that the one the laptop has

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
4 hours ago, MargeGunderson said:

Is that a taxidermied leopard behind Jer? Tacky!  

It's a bobcat.  Still tacky, particularly in what seems to be the dining room (that looks more like a dining room table than a desk).

• Love 8
10 hours ago, JoanArc said:

Maybe his backspace key stopped working and he could not fix it no matter which of the surefire found-on-the-internet fixes he tried. That happened to me the other day and I was so happy I had an external keyboard in a box on the shelf! 😁 .... Life without a working backspace key is hell. Hell, I tells ya...... (about three days later I managed to fix the key, though....or maybe it had been on vacation and was just ready to start working again...)

He had that cat in his Laredo office (where there seemed to be no path to the desk chair without climbing either over or under the desk). And I always thought it was the weirdest thing and still do.....

He used to pretend that he counseled a lot of suffering Christians in that office, and I wondered what the counselees thought about seeing a bobcat poised to strike right next to them. 

• Useful 2
  • LOL 8
  • Love 6
9 hours ago, mythoughtis said:

Who originally baptized Jinger?  Was it JB? I seem to recall his dipping several I’d the kids in the River Jordan on their Israel trip?  
maybe they decided jB wasn’t official enough? 

most Protestant churches think one baptism is enough,  with a confirmation later if baptized as an infant.  Joining a new church is usually an affirmation of sorts 

MacArthur's ego might want more than this....

Or else it's another suckup action by Jer .... Look! My wife has been overcome with righteous passion to be a part of Your Church! Your Church! Your Church, Sir! Just like me, she's Yours right down to the bone! 

• Love 5

I don't know because I've never studied Hebrew. But could the external keyboard be for Hebrew? TBH I've used an external keyboard with a laptop, especially laptops provided by an employer. Some laptop keyboards are of the devil, I swear. 

(Also, @Churchhoney, for more than a year recently I worked a temp assignment here at home. The company-supplied laptop was fine - except that the backspace key was dead, and never came back to life. I used an external keyboard the whole time.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, IndianPaintbrush said:

I'm having a hard time wrapping my head around how Jeremy's brand of Calvinism is different from Duggar beliefs. Is Jinger basically saying, "I don't know if my family is among the Elect, but I definitely am"?

The whole thing is so confusing.

I would pay good $$ (that I don’t have) to hear her explain in detail how her current beliefs are different from her former beliefs.

• LOL 12
  • Love 10
21 hours ago, Fosca said:

Judging by her body language, she's either cold or she's completely closed herself off from what's going on around her.  I'm hoping some of the thinness is filters, because otherwise she runs of the risk of becoming her own bobblehead doll.

Also, like others, I was looking hard for the cigarette she should be holding--that's a classic smoker's hand position.

It’s hard to look very thin in an outfit like that. Let’s hope it is filters.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, sheshark said:

Look, new shoes.  Panda Dunks, starting at $120.

Okay, for real - what is WITH this shoe obsession??  I mean, there has to be something to this that I'm not understanding.  How is Jeremy paying for these?  They cannot be gifts - what would be the purpose?  Is Jeremy going deeply into debt buying boxes of new kicks for himself and the wifey in the hopes that someday one of these IG pics is going to turn into a major influencer endorsement deal?  And what human adult with two small kids gets to wear perfectly clean, brand-new shoes seemingly every other day?

I think that's all my questions but man, I don't get it.

1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Isn't that about three bagels worth of lox for one guy? Or am I just stingy?

Spending hours crafting the perfectly composed photo of himself pretending to study makes him very hungry?

• LOL 3
  • Love 19
19 hours ago, skatelady said:

The comments on her post are just.... exhausting. Each one trying to out-jesus the other. Arguing over whether re-baptizing is a thing, arguing over the wording of her declaration.... and citing scripture to prove one point or another. Sheesh. How about: just be a decent person and don't make a spectacle out of your good works. That seems Christian enough to me. 

That’s what I always say. I’m an atheist, but if there were a heaven I feel like I’ve been a decent person. And done a lot of volunteer work! You see, I was raised an ebil Catholic and that social justice thing has stuck with me.

20 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I think it's all really like "fashion." .... Somehow humans tend to feel the need to show some sign that they're really part of the group and integral to the best part of the group and fully up on what matters to the best group right now today. 

And whereas that often has to do with clothes or home decor or going to the "best" college or country club, I think it operates in a lot of religious circles too. .... You've gotta get saved and in the right way and ostentatiously to show that you're part of the right eternal clique. 

And in this case, Jingle performed this for her old clique -- The Clique of the Correct Jesus According to Duggar Types. 

But now she's joined The Clique Formed By John MacArthur, so she needs to ostentatiously show up in a new outfit of salvation or he's likely to throw hubby out of the church.....

Even if you just mow lawn or write code or wash windows or proofread at his enterprises, he does his utmost to force you to be a member in good standing of his church and no other, even one that would seem to be quite similar. So I'm sure that goes double for wives of his seminarians and employees. 

Don’t Protestants in general look down on revering any earthly “leader?” I don’t have the right words, but I thought that was one problem they had with the Catholic Church- following the Pope.

Edited by Cinnabon
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
13 hours ago, Fallacy said:

I know Calvinist theology fairly well because I teach Puritan literature, and yes, Jinger has gone full on Calvinism. Her post even includes one of the five solas of Calvinism, and her “testimony” also included references to unconditional election and limited atonement, that make up the letters U and L in what Calvinists call the TULIP. It’s fascinating stuff and it does differ some from most modern non-denomination Christian churches and other Protestant based theology, which is basically Arminianism. This site has a chart that compares the two: https://eljasib.com/en/calvinism-vs-arminianism-five-points/

Isn’t Bin also a Calvinist? I wonder if that means Jessa is too.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Cinnabon said:

Don’t Protestants in general look down on revering any earthly “leader?” I don’t have the right words, but I thought they was one problem they had with the Catholic Church- following the Pope.

Yes and no.  It really depends on what flavor of Protestantism you choose.  In theory, they are against any hierarchy within the church and the idea that a person needs a church in order to find salvation.  But, most of them have been following an earthly leader since Martin Luther nailed his 95 theses.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
12 hours ago, JoanArc said:

When I am going to type a lot I plug in (with the aid of an adapter plug from Radio Shack) my 20 year old keyboard from my original desktop computer. It has nice real keys with a nice curve to them. I hate the flat laptop keys. That's what I think anyway. But maybe I'm just a dumbass.

• Love 5