Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

13 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

What? Another boring presentation of some kind. Buckle up? Have they even heard him?

8A9C80E2-364A-4189-8B04-831479D7CB61.jpeg

The Master's Seminary has almost 600 students, and I've never seen another one on any of the many programs Jer's been on. Alumni, yeah, but current students, I've never seen one. (may have missed one somewhere -- but I doubt I've missed more than that, because it's a mystery -- and an annoyance -- to me so I've been looking....) 

Jer, by contrast, has been on program after program of the various MacArthur enterprises (and of some closely related groups), beginning slightly before he actually moved to LA but had started first sniffing around and then enrolling with MacArthur Remote (back when he wasn't just a very mediocre speaker and presenter, but an absolutely abysmal one...) 

His potential ability to bring some eyeballs (he's brought ours, and not just the leghumpers, for example...) has to be the only thing that accounts for this. .....

And I wonder if he realizes that. Or cares. Although I suppose not. Why would he? Now, thanks 100-percent to Jingle's fame as a young opaque teen onto whose image people could project their own fantasies about her, he's got a resume that not a single one of the circa 600 other seminarians can come remotely close to matching. 

He sure got exactly what he wanted by marrying a Duggar. Smartest move he ever made. He definitely knows how to work things, even though he appears to be an ignoramus, an idiot and a lazy bum in every other way. 

I don't think this exciting program has its roster all filled yet, so maybe the elusive second seminarian will show up on it eventually......Doubt it, though. They may have preaching skills. But they can't bring eyeballs. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 17

I don't know, I think JB and Jeremy get too much credit for actually creating these paths they're on (or in JB's case, was on). 

When considering the reasons Jeremy ended up with Jinger, becoming Mac's preacher boy isn't one of them. My reasons include Ben setting them up and Jeremy thinking it would be cool to date a Duggar. But I really think no one in the real world would go on a second date with him.

And I think Jeremy is fully aware he's being used for his fame. I'm guessing he often stands at the pulpit shaking with imposter syndrome. He's likely waiting to be benched, or worse, cut from Mac Daddy's team.

• LOL 3
  • Love 6
3 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

. I'm guessing he often stands at the pulpit shaking with imposter syndrome. He's likely waiting to be benched, or worse, cut from Mac Daddy's team.

I have been wondering if this flurry of preaching was partially motivated by fear. Because for the longest time, he never advertised himself doing any preaching. Or it sure didn't seem like he did. Maybe he got put on warning that he needed to shape up or ship out. Or maybe they finally thought he was ready for primetime and that's why he seems to be getting so many opportunities recently.

However, I'm astonished that he and Mac Daddy still have their arrangement at all because Jeremy is such an inept, wishy-washy disaster when it comes to his public profile. Beyond his ever-changing persona, he just seems so superficial and self-involved in a way that I think would turn off them and their intended audience as "worldly" and insufficiently invested in doing battle for Christ. If I was that organization and I'd brought him in to increase our social media profile/appeal/outreach to a more youthful demographic, I'd definitely want my money back. 

• Love 21
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

I have been wondering if this flurry of preaching was partially motivated by fear. Because for the longest time, he never advertised himself doing any preaching. Or it sure didn't seem like he did. Maybe he got put on warning that he needed to shape up or ship out. Or maybe they finally thought he was ready for primetime and that's why he seems to be getting so many opportunities recently.

However, I'm astonished that he and Mac Daddy still have their arrangement at all because Jeremy is such an inept, wishy-washy disaster when it comes to his public profile. Beyond his ever-changing persona, he just seems so superficial and self-involved in a way that I think would turn off them and their intended audience as "worldly" and insufficiently invested in doing battle for Christ. If I was that organization and I'd brought him in to increase our social media profile/appeal/outreach to a more youthful demographic, I'd definitely want my money back. 

Yeah, but he's gotten these opportunities from the moment he arrived in the MacArthur universe. Before we even knew he was in that universe, even. He's not suddenly getting them. He was invited to sign the social justice letter nearly a year before they moved to California. This isn't something that's just happening now.  

And he had some speaking gigs back then, too, and we all wondered where they were coming from. Turns out they were MacArthur-related. 

It seems to me this is clearly not just Jer's choice to do this stuff. The seminary has nearly 600 students. But they choose Jer over and over and over again.  Yet I would bet my house that he's far from the only student who's hungered to be on a program! And who's asked to be considered for a spot. And he's gotta be far from the best-equipped student to speak at events, too. Yet he gets the gigs over and over and over. And the other students don't. 

They're not looking for preaching ability. They're looking for fame....and none of the other students can give them that.  

I'm definitely not saying it's likely to be very helpful to them. of course! Totally agree with you that I'd pick somebody else.  

But it seems to me they're fixated on the eyeball aspect .... And when his name goes up on something, it gets hits. To an extent that other students' names couldn't possibly deliver. 

And it's giving him a resume and practice in real situations. Both invaluable if he's gonna continue in any career related to this.

Plus, we all know how he loves fame and visibility. That's the only reason he thought it was cool to date a Duggar!    (except for Duggars being naive virgins of the patriarchy that he had a good chance of being able to push around, of course!)

And every national event for which he gets listed as a speaker gives him, a fame hit. He must be a major fame junkie by now. "There I am, listed as a featured speaker! Again!" 

So -- win-win in the Master's Sem eyes, I'd bet.     Although I think they're probably a bit deluded if they really believe there's much of  a win on their side of the equation! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 8
10 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Yeah, but he's gotten these opportunities from the moment he arrived in the MacArthur universe. Before we even knew he was in that universe, even. He's not suddenly getting them. He was invited to sign the social justice letter nearly a year before they moved to California. This isn't something that's just happening now.  

And he had some speaking gigs back then, too, and we all wondered where they were coming from. Turns out they were MacArthur-related. 

It seems to me this is clearly not just Jer's choice to do this stuff. The seminary has nearly 600 students. But they choose Jer over and over and over again.  Yet I would bet my house that he's far from the only student who's hungered to be on a program! And who's asked to be considered for a spot. And he's gotta be far from the best-equipped student to speak at events, too. Yet he gets the gigs over and over and over. And the other students don't. 

They're not looking for preaching ability. They're looking for fame....and none of the other students can give them that.  

I'm definitely not saying it's likely to be very helpful to them. of course! Totally agree with you that I'd pick somebody else.  

But it seems to me they're fixated on the eyeball aspect .... And when his name goes up on something, it gets hits. To an extent that other students' names couldn't possibly deliver. 

And it's giving him a resume and practice in real situations. Both invaluable if he's gonna continue in any career related to this.

Plus, we all know how he loves fame and visibility. That's the only reason he thought it was cool to date a Duggar!    (except for Duggars being naive virgins of the patriarchy that he had a good chance of being able to push around, of course!)

And every national event for which he gets listed as a speaker gives him, a fame hit. He must be a major fame junkie by now. "There I am, listed as a featured speaker! Again!" 

So -- win-win in the Master's Sem eyes, I'd bet.     Although I think they're probably a bit deluded if they really believe there's much of  a win on their side of the equation! 

I was thinking more of after he first got to California. Maybe it was the sheer volume of gourmet eating and botched influencer posts drowning out other things he kept posting--I often think of Curly from the Three Stooges asking a girl if she wanted to go places and eat things when thinking of Jeremy--but it seemed like there was very little promotion of any sort of preaching opportunities. Or even much religious content at all.

Not that he was ever super diligent about the day-to-day work of pastoring when he lived in Laredo, considering how often he was gone on Sundays, but in the early LA days, I would never have guessed this dude was a seminary student and aspiring pastor in the stodgy MacArthur world. He just seemed like some vapid airhead who really liked sneakers and burgers.

I definitely got the impression he was feeling pretty secure in his position and probable fame and didn't feel particularly compelled to earn his keep with MacArthur. Maybe as those schemes have blown up in his face and the show has been cancelled, Jeremy has realized that he needs to keep the MacArthur bread buttered since those other opportunities he had banked on/taken for granted aren't there. [Edited to add: and that's all on Jer because if he hadn't been such a dumbass he may have been able to parley himself into something else, what with the book deal and the initial influencer offers and the podcast/store, but he totally shit the bed on all of it with astonishingly bad marketing/PR.]

Edited by Zella
  • Love 8
Just now, CouchTater said:

Does anyone know if Jeremy is typical of a student in his program:  married, 2 kids, early to mid-30's, "worldly?"  I'm curious if anything other than his Duggar status separates him from his peers.

My entirely armchair guess is the fact he's married and has small children probably isn't too unusual among the student body or seminaries in general. Less sure about the other demographic factors there. 

• Love 7
28 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

But I really think no one in the real world would go on a second date with him.

Not to hear him tell it, however!

On the Roloff podcast he made a big issue of saying that his marriage to Jinger was especially important because it kept him relatively clear of the totally hot-to-have-him women in his congregation. On his account, women always fall all over themselves for the hot young pastor, and he was experiencing the extreme temptations that go with having a bunch of women constantly panting for you. 

I agree that he's gotta be pretty easy to get sick of.

But I'll bet he could get at least a second date with a fair number of women -- especially among fundies. Look at how thrilled the Duggar women have been to be married to a guy who brings a yogurt when he comes back from getting his own snack out of the fridge. Fundie women tend to be in a compared-to-what situation when they look at men, I think.....

Plus, you know he threw his "former pro athlete" stuff around. And that attracts people, too. We know that's true because of how heavily he and the MacArthur group are still both using that to describe him. Even dressing him up n a pseudo-uniform on a recent gig. 

That right there could get him a lot of second dates, I'd bet. "Well, he was a pro athlete! I have to give him a second chance! He must be great..." And of course there's a pretty widespread feeling that jocks are sexy .... 

And some of the Vuolo net worth estimates people make are still based on the idea that he made a lot of money in sports so he must have some stashed away somewhere.....I know I've seen people saying that around here even in the last year.....So I'm sure before he got engaged to Jingle there were women who would have gone out with him more than once just on that presumption of money --  

8 minutes ago, Zella said:

Maybe as those schemes have blown up in his face and the show has been cancelled, Jeremy has realized that he needs to keep the MacArthur bread buttered since those other opportunities he had banked on/taken for granted aren't there. [Edited to add: and that's all on Jer because if he hadn't been such a dumbass he may have been able to parley himself into something else, what with the book deal and the initial influencer offers and the podcast/store, but he totally shit the bed on all of it with astonishingly bad marketing/PR.]

Very good point. 

Which makes me wonder again if he's aware of the prediction that once Johnny M himself bows out of the pulpit, the Grace Church numbers are going to plummet....ha....

• Useful 2
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Which makes me wonder again if he's aware of the prediction that once Johnny M himself bows out of the pulpit, the Grace Church numbers are going to plummet....ha....

I think he probably thinks he's going to win that game of Lord of the Flies. He probably thinks he'll be the Roger, but instead, he'll be poor Piggy. This is the no-holds-barred reality show I'd actually watch. Bahahahahahaha

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 13
  • Love 2
15 minutes ago, CouchTater said:

Does anyone know if Jeremy is typical of a student in his program:  married, 2 kids, early to mid-30's, "worldly?"  I'm curious if anything other than his Duggar status separates him from his peers.

I think he's pretty typical, actually.

There are younger people recently out of college in the program, but from what I understand the majority of students are already working in some capacity, most in churches, although some are career changers, too. And some of hose are probably younger unmarried guys.

But they're all very patriarchy obsessed -- That's one of the big reasons you'd choose this no-women-allowed-to-do-anything-ever seminary. So in most cases that means married, stay-at-home wife, and kids, if you're in your mid-20s or above. And since they all have Bachelor's degrees already, they're virtually all at least 21 or so. 

There are even some significantly older guys in the program. One 60-year-old student died of Covid a while ago, for example. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 6

I think Mac is okay with Jeremy's SM presence. In the, its what kids these days do, kind of way. Like, you too can be of the modern world, while simultaneously loving Jesus and joining my church.

• Love 6
19 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I think Mac is okay with Jeremy's SM presence. In the, its what kids these days do, kind of way. Like, you too can be of the modern world, while simultaneously loving Jesus and joining my church.

Definitely.

MacArthur isn't in the least against money or fashion or luxury or expensive stuff or flaunting of the same or anything like that. Just as long as the right people get those things -- straight white conservative Christian men. If they're the ones then he's all for it and always has been. I'm sure he figures Jer just represents the new style of those things....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9
4 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Came back to add...  I doubt the other 599 students have a million followers and/or wrote a book. 

Or were breakout stars of a Z-list reality show!!!!! 

• LOL 4
  • Love 2
17 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

Came back to add...  I doubt the other 599 students have a million followers and/or wrote a book. 

Exactly. That's my point.

He's getting this stuff because of fame.....and he got the book deal, we now know, because of that huge talent agency that picked them up (likely kinda briefly) because the agency had just bought a subsidiary that was going after influencers and they were sweeping up everybody they saw with very large numbers of followers. He didn't get the book deal because of anything except Jingle's leftover fame from being a Duggar. 

But by getting those gigs, the seminary is giving him a pretty big leg up for the future, seems to me. He's got a resume that's beyond compare for somebody who hasn't even finished one divinity degree yet. 

While these resume points are completing eluding all the other people, at least some of whom have got to be more able, and more dedicated. 

All the others could use those resume points as well. The world is getting harder for people with divinity degrees. 

So my question is -- Suppose you were a student, or a faculty member or an alum of that seminary? Would you think that always always giving every gig to Jeremy because his wife was a famous young girl was what a seminary ought to be doing?

If your son or husband were in that seminary and you knew he was a real standout, wouldn't you wonder whether the seminary was doing the right thing by your guy -- and all its students -- by padding one guy's resume like mad just because of his wife's previous fame gig (that nothing to do with any ability she had, either...)? He's getting richly rewarded by the seminary for things that have nothing to do with anything seminary-related except the tangential relationship of jinger-based social-media followers, 

Hard to me to imagine that there aren't people who are understandably -- and maybe rightly -- pissed and appalled by what goes on here. As happens in other parts of academia when there's some kind of crazy nepotism-like thing going on. That's my point. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 12

The shit that is happening at Mac's school didn't start because of Jeremy. It was going on long before he came along. And quite honestly, it happens a lot of places, though maybe to a lesser degree. Jeremy and Mac are using each other. Other students might be pissed, but they do have options - transfer out, file a complaint or stay and graduate.

As my mom used to say, life isn't always fair.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

The shit that is happening at Mac's school didn't start because of Jeremy. It was going on long before he came along. And quite honestly, it happens a lot of places, though maybe to a lesser degree. Jeremy and Mac are using each other. Other students might be pissed, but they do have options - transfer out, file a complaint or stay and graduate.

As my mom used to say, life isn't always fair.

I (mostly) agree.!

What I disagree with is any implication that I should ever simply shrug my shoulders at unfairness and make no effort to examine or analyze or question it or fight it or call it out! When I see something I believe is unfairness, I'm always interested in exploring whether it really is, why it's happening....figuring out what's going on!

Particularly when it's unfairness practiced by an organization that considers itself super-moral...and when the unfairness blatantly contradicts its creator's repeatedly stated key principle -- In Johnny M's case that his institution is unique among seminaries in putting respect for academic and intellectual rigor above all things, 😁

And I really do wonder what the students (and others involved with the church and seminary) think about this. It's very similar to complaints that were made during the accreditation flap. And Johnny M ultimately avoided real sanctions there although he did change the administrative structure a bit to supposedly meet what they asked.-- so I assume some of the previous complainers remain unhappy. 

In the article about MacArthur I posted a week or so ago, the writer quoted some people noting that most of his staff at both institutions are old enough that they very much fear being unable to find another decent-paying job if they lose the ones they've got.

So that means they simply won't question anything that happens, since Johnny M has repeatedly fired people for questioning his judgment or practices in any way....and apparently gives no sign of backing off that particular behavior. I guess that's another reason why he would love Jer the suckup. 😁

(article was written by a longtime Guideposts editor, so not a hit job by a raging heathen, at least) 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 6
23 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I (mostly) agree.!

What I disagree with is any implication that I should ever simply shrug my shoulders at unfairness and make no effort to examine or analyze or question it or fight it or call it out! When I see something I believe is unfairness, I'm always interested in exploring whether it really is, why it's happening....figuring out what's going on!

Particularly when it's unfairness practiced by an organization that considers itself super-moral...and when the unfairness blatantly contradicts its creator's repeatedly stated key principle -- In Johnny M's case that his institution is unique among seminaries in putting respect for academic and intellectual rigor above all things, 😁

And I really do wonder what the students (and others involved with the church and seminary) think about this. It's very similar to complaints that were made during the accreditation flap. And Johnny M ultimately avoided real sanctions there although he did change the administrative structure a bit to supposedly meet what they asked.-- so I assume some of the previous complainers remain unhappy. 

In the article about MacArthur I posted a week or so ago, the writer quoted some people noting that most of his staff at both institutions are old enough that they very much fear being unable to find another decent-paying job if they lose the ones they've got.

So that means they simply won't question anything that happens, since Johnny M has repeatedly fired people for questioning his judgment or practices in any way....and apparently gives no sign of backing off that particular behavior. I guess that's another reason why he would love Jer the suckup. 😁

(article was written by a longtime Guideposts editor, so not a hit job by a raging heathen, at least) 

I hear you. But this isn't really a Jeremy thing.

And my goodness, I can only manage my own little piece of real estate in my personal life and in my work life. So to stay sane, I find I have to shrug my shoulders over a lot of things. And MacArthur is for sure one of them.

Time will tell how all this works out for the Vuolos.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

My guess is that Jeremy's fellow students probably are not big fans of his and are likely jealous. I don't think it is coincidence we only see him hanging out with staff rather than classmates. I assume it's partially resentment on their end and partially Jeremy thinking they are not worth his time. That lack of networking may come back to bite him in the ass if/when the MacArthur empire crumbles. 

But I would suspect a lot of them would be more than happy to trade places with him. That has certainly been my experience with toxic environments that involved playing favorites. A lot more resentment was directed at the attention of those favors than the one who was creating the toxic environment.  

Jeremy probably gets on my nerves more than any of the other Duggar adjacents. I don't get why he is still extended the favoritism because he seems so unworthy and I think he is an ass, but I also think he is just a symptom of one of many reasons the seminary is toxic and is going to go up like a proverbial roman candle one of those days. 

Edited by Zella
  • Useful 1
  • Love 18

My guess is that Jeremy's fellow students probably are not big fans of his and are likely jealous.

There's got to be a 'I went to Grad School with a Dillard/Vuolo' Facebook support group, somewhere...

• LOL 17
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, Zella said:

My guess is that Jeremy's fellow students probably are not big fans of his and are likely jealous. I don't think it is coincidence we only see him hanging out with staff rather than classmates. I assume it's partially resentment on their end and partially Jeremy thinking they are not worth his time. That lack of networking may come back to bite him in the ass if/when the MacArthur empire crumbles. 

But I would suspect a lot of them would be more than happy to trade places with him. That has certainly been my experience with toxic environments that involved playing favorites. A lot more resentment was directed at the attention of those favors than the one who was creating the toxic environment.  

Jeremy probably gets on my nerves more than any of the other Duggar adjacents. I don't get why he is still extended the favoritism because he seems so unworthy and I think he is an ass, but I also think he is just a symptom of one of many reasons the seminary is toxic and is going to go up like a proverbial roman candle one of those days. 

I doubt their wives are fond of Jinger, either.

• Love 13
6 hours ago, Zella said:

That lack of networking may come back to bite him in the ass if/when the MacArthur empire crumbles. 

I think this is an important point.

Without the MacArthur empire, Jeremy is only a minor reality TV show star who has done some graduate work and once ran a tiny church in Texas. It's not much, and if/when the MacArthur empire crumbles, he may need a lot of help.

• Love 13
2 hours ago, quarks said:

I think this is an important point.

Without the MacArthur empire, Jeremy is only a minor reality TV show star who has done some graduate work and once ran a tiny church in Texas. It's not much, and if/when the MacArthur empire crumbles, he may need a lot of help.

Former reality show “star.”

• LOL 1
  • Love 6
21 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

I doubt their wives are fond of Jinger, either.

I picture Jinger to be an unpleasant, stuck up princess who thinks her farts don’t stink and not too bright either.

If she married Jeremy she is the same as him. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 12
2 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I used to think Jin was cute.  Now, in her photos, she looks smug.  Too big for her britches, like that tool she married.  Ugh.

I disagree. She really had no idea what she was meowing, and married out of horniness and to Escape Arkansas. She was an ignorant girl, on the level of 13-year-olds. She’s been snoring the Jer cocaine and living it up in the real world for awhile. She was crafted from birth to have no discernible personality aside from what the people around her want. In that manner, I think she has been successful. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 7
3 hours ago, xwordfanatik said:

I used to think Jin was cute.  Now, in her photos, she looks smug.  Too big for her britches, like that tool she married.  Ugh.

Agree. I cannot stand the open mouth grins, stupid faces, “god is kind for giving us pizza”, and affected speech. 

1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

I disagree. She really had no idea what she was meowing, and married out of horniness and to Escape Arkansas. She was an ignorant girl, on the level of 13-year-olds. She’s been snoring the Jer cocaine and living it up in the real world for awhile. She was crafted from birth to have no discernible personality aside from what the people around her want. In that manner, I think she has been successful. 

Love it!  Rawrrr. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

I used to wonder exactly what they meant when they said Jinger was meek.  Apparently what they meant was that she was unformed, incomplete and was to be "finished" to spec by her end user/owner. So the result is this vapid child/woman who performs for her audience and "owner".  By all appearances, she is happy with her situation.  I think Jeremy treats her well by her limited standards and she has that big city life and pretty things she dreamed of.  She is not very smart and may not be the least bit worried about the things that are discussed in depth here.  The end result is a smug, pleased with herself young woman, who will happily go along until Jeremy crashes and burns.

• Love 19
10 hours ago, Suzn said:

I used to wonder exactly what they meant when they said Jinger was meek.  Apparently what they meant was that she was unformed, incomplete and was to be "finished" to spec by her end user/owner. So the result is this vapid child/woman who performs for her audience and "owner".  By all appearances, she is happy with her situation.  I think Jeremy treats her well by her limited standards and she has that big city life and pretty things she dreamed of.  She is not very smart and may not be the least bit worried about the things that are discussed in depth here.  The end result is a smug, pleased with herself young woman, who will happily go along until Jeremy crashes and burns.

I agree with this, and also wonder what will happen when Jeremy gets too bored with Jinger.  I can't see Jeremy sticking it out for decades in an unhappy and unfulfilling marriage like Ben or Anna or Josiah and Lauren.  

• Love 12

I'm not sure Jeremy will get bored with Jinger any more than Derick getting bored with Jill.

Jeremy and Derick may have college degrees, but they both have limited interests and are boring. I think their wives are very well suited for them.

And Jinger was never seen as a meek Duggar daughter until Jeremy used that word. She was seen as the daughter with spunk and desires, which is where Free Jinger came from.

• Useful 3
  • Love 20
2 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm not sure Jeremy will get bored with Jinger any more than Derick getting bored with Jill.

Jeremy and Derick may have college degrees, but they both have limited interests and are boring. I think their wives are very well suited for them.

And Jinger was never seen as a meek Duggar daughter until Jeremy used that word. She was seen as the daughter with spunk and desires, which is where Free Jinger came from.

Yeah I think if Jin showed interest in something other than Jer he would be unhappy. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 8
41 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I agree with this, and also wonder what will happen when Jeremy gets too bored with Jinger.  I can't see Jeremy sticking it out for decades in an unhappy and unfulfilling marriage like Ben or Anna or Josiah and Lauren.  

It depends what his needs/wants/expectations are from marriage.  There's really nothing to indicate that he is unhappy or unfulfilled.  He wanted and got a docile wife who caters to him; he's not looking for an adult, equal partnership.  I don't get that women are that important to him.

• Love 16

I don't think Jinger is "not smart", I think she's ignorant. Her education was abysmal, she was raised to not question authority, and she was never allowed to interact with anyone not into Gothardism. These issues could be overcome, but she'll never think of doing so herself and it's not in Jeremy's self-serving interest for her to change. 

I  don't think Jeremy will divorce Jinger because he's bored with her, he'll probably just have affairs with young women who are attracted to his authority and fame. At least until he hits middle age and realizes the cute young things think he's old. Then he'll cause a mild scandal by divorcing Jinger, do a little public sinning, and then have a redemption epiphany by marrying a 19-year-old Jinger clone. 

Edited by Nysha
  • Love 20

I'm thinking I'm one of only a few that see Jeremy (much like Derick) as a big lug head. Jinger may be behind the curve in pop culture and her education was less than, but Jeremy is no worldly scholar either.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 11

I think Jeremy will likely eventually cheat on her, but as of right now, he's not going anywhere. He can be super condescending to her, so I do think he thinks he is somehow better than her. But I don't get the impression he is truly exasperated with her and regrets marrying her. For all of his occasional efforts to convince us otherwise, I don't think Jeremy is looking for someone to have deep conversations with, and I think he likes having a wife who has the personality equivalent of mayo and seems content going along with all of his bullshit. 

1 minute ago, GeeGolly said:

I'm thinking I'm one of only a few that see Jeremy (much like Derick) as a big lug head. Jinger may be behind the curve in pop culture and her education was less than, but Jeremy is no worldly scholar either.

LOL we cross-posted, but I agree. Jeremy is no great mind. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 19

Except that Jeremy doesn't see himself as boring - he thinks extremely highly of himself.  He's going to need Jinger to "keep up" with his rising fame, while at the same time tamping her down so she doesn't get any more famous than she already is - he needs to be able to surpass her in that category because his ego won't be able to handle it if he keeps drawing attention mostly as "Jinger's husband."  He thinks he's far too important on his own merit, but he's not.  He doesn't have any talent, even though he thinks he does.  Which is why Jinger must drop into bed each night completely emotionally depleted from doing the lion's share of childcare while having to constantly stroke the ego of the man-child big-time athlete/preacher she married.

I mean, I get exhausted just looking at his punchable smirk on Instagram.

• Love 16
41 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

but he thinks he is.

the constant references to being a former pro athlete, the fountain pens and highlighted note pages, trendy food and retro clothing is all a ruse to make himself appear normal to the people he really wants to have follow him. yet he can't escape that his followers are mostly older women who watched Jing on the show. His floundering desperation to "connect" with the people he wants to follow him is really embarrassing.

I bet zero people follow jer because he was a former bench warmer. I also would put money on none of the "cool kids" he chases after bought a hat, broken candle or book from them.

• Love 14

I think when he was looking for a wife he wanted somebody at least halfway cute who'd go along with his agenda, dumb as it might be, without question. ....

And, in his wildest dream of a wife, he hoped for fame.

(I base that on his endless references to fame and influence, both now and back when he gave interviews as a college and pro athlete... fame influence breakout-star former-pro-athlete fame influence breakout-star former-pro-athlete fame influence  etc. ....I think that's been the background soundtrack of his brain forever....)

So, to me, in Jingle he got exactly what he wanted. ....She's fairly cute and she was trained up to act the part of a clingy wife who does that gazing-up-at-hubby glance. I'm sure Jer realizes that lots of women aren't like that today. But he got one. 

And since those things are still what he wants, I expect at the moment he's content with his lot..........Why woudln't he be? He got a wife who not only provided his wish-list basics but the big dream item on his list that he probably never actually thought he'd get....

And currently, her fame has helped him get a free degree, free housing, constant resume builders that his competition isn't getting, speaking opportunities (i.e., a kind of fame) that others in his position aren't getting, hundreds of thousands more social media followers than he'd have without her....and so on. 

But we know he's flighty. His "influencer" attempts show that. So at some point he will get bored and disgruntled with everything in his life. And since I don't think he has any actual principles, at that point he'll do whatever comes naturally and is relatively easy to scratch whatever itch he has at the time.

I don't have a feeling for what he'll do with regard to the marriage. But "relatively easy" seems key to me.

Besides thinking he's a major dumb-ass --- aside from his very large talent for being a wily suck-up -- I don't see him having much energy or real initiative either.

Sometimes divorce requires those things, and when you're in a couple of aggressively patriarchal families that could be true for him.....I can see him staying in the marriage forever and fooling around to whatever modest degree he can manage it on the side, just to avoid seriously rocking the boat with Chuck and Diana, really. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • Love 13

1 hour ago, Zella said:

I think Jeremy will likely eventually cheat on her, but as of right now, he's not going anywhere. He can be super condescending to her, so I do think he thinks he is somehow better than her. But I don't get the impression he is truly exasperated with her and regrets marrying her. For all of his occasional efforts to convince us otherwise, I don't think Jeremy is looking for someone to have deep conversations with, and I think he likes having a wife who has the personality equivalent of mayo and seems content going along with all of his bullshit. 

27 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

So, to me, in Jingle he got exactly what he wanted. ....She's fairly cute and she was trained up to act the part of a clingy wife who does that gazing-up-at-hubby glance. I'm sure Jer realizes that lots of women aren't like that today. But he got one. 

And since those things are still what he wants, I expect at the moment he's content with his lot...

Jinger meets his needs right now and I don't see that he will need something different anytime soon.  She was raised to be what he needed and he has fine-tuned her. 

What people saw in Jinger before Jeremy came along was not much more than wanting big city things and pretty stuff.  It was interpreted as an independent streak but was only her wanting some nice things of her very own.

• Love 11

So when can we look forward to the four-part Netflix documentary series, "The Fall of the House of MacArthur?"  I just need to make sure I have plenty of popcorn and cheap wine ready.

(Edit: I have been willing into existence a doc series about the collapse of LuLaRoe and my wish has been granted - so maybe I can go two for two).

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 14

Jeremy will definitely cheat on Jinger. He's comes off exactly like the many, many arrogant self absorbed pastors that cheat on their wives. Then when ever he gets caught he'll do the very big and dramatic "I have sinned!" trying to out do Jim Bakker and Jimmy Swaggart. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 15
2 hours ago, crazy8s said:

but he thinks he is.

the constant references to being a former pro athlete, the fountain pens and highlighted note pages, trendy food and retro clothing is all a ruse to make himself appear normal to the people he really wants to have follow him. yet he can't escape that his followers are mostly older women who watched Jing on the show. His floundering desperation to "connect" with the people he wants to follow him is really embarrassing.

I bet zero people follow jer because he was a former bench warmer. I also would put money on none of the "cool kids" he chases after bought a hat, broken candle or book from them.

I don't see that either. 

I think the break-out star and former athlete are publicity stunts by others. And I think he flounders on SM to a lesser degree than than his inlaws. 

He does like nice things, but I'm not sure how that is bad. To be honest if someone offered me baskets to hang on the wall or a fountain pen, I'd take the fountain pen. 

I'm not a Jeremy fan, but like I mentioned before, I don't think Jeremy ever had a master plan to snatch up a rich girl and become a famous preacher. I think he's a bumbling fool, much like his FIL and is going where the tide takes him.  The tide he's on now affords him a pretty easy lifestyle, one that he shares on IG.

I do think Jeremy is a bit hung on himself, but not to the degree that others see it. And no more hung on himself than any Duggar or Duggar-in-law.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Which is why Jinger must drop into bed each night completely emotionally depleted from doing the lion's share of childcare while having to constantly stroke the ego of the man-child big-time athlete/preacher she married.

I would prefer not to imagine Jinger dropping into bed and stroking anything of Jeremy's. 

• LOL 16
4 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

He is not worldly at all, IMO. He uses dorky slang from the 90s and spends his Saturday nights playing cards at the kitchen table. Embarrassing!

• LOL 2
  • Love 12