Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

On 9/11/2021 at 4:56 PM, xwordfanatik said:

He probably works out, too.  He'll blimp out, eventually.  Dear wife won't be allowed to, of course.  Gotta stay skinny, or she thinks he'll cheat, which he may do, anyway.  Patriarchal bullshit gives me a headache.

Jinger looks really ill to me here: it’s so sad clearly Mechelle praying with her and drawing up a diet plan hasn’t worked.

903F7559-0BCE-40B7-9ABE-BD39D428199C.thumb.jpeg.4af3b9371a2b5fb5e98ffbcd595cc68d.jpeg

On 9/10/2021 at 7:52 AM, madpsych78 said:

Can we talk about the picture of the Duggars watching Jinger be baptized on the computer? I wonder what they are thinking. They look serious, but it could just be that they were watching her.

That photo says to me that it was the final fuck you to Blob and Clown Car.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
On 9/10/2021 at 2:32 PM, Fallacy said:

t’s a theological difference that boils down to predestination versus free will. My guess is Jim Bob doesn’t care as long as the kids believe in Jesus, read their Bibles, and submit to God’s authority (aka Jim Bob’s authority unless married).

I think Jim Bob is mad as hell about Jinger's public conversion to Calvinism. I grew up in Armenian evangelical churches and Calvinism is one of the top three evil christian beliefs, right after Catholicism and Anglicanism/ Episcopalian. Jer & Jin are definitely not following the correct Jesus.

• Useful 3
1 minute ago, Nysha said:

I think Jim Bob is mad as hell about Jinger's public conversion to Calvinism. I grew up in Armenian evangelical churches and Calvinism is one of the top three evil christian beliefs, right after Catholicism and Anglicanism/ Episcopalian. Jer & Jin are definitely not following the correct Jesus.

If Jinger is now Calvinist, then she thinks she is among the predestined? And does that mean she thinks JB and the other Duggars are not? I can see him being pissed about that.

• Love 3
22 hours ago, floridamom said:

What is this photo of Jinger and the group of? Jinger is the only one holding a bouquet of flowers.

Jinger posted photos on her Instagram of her baptism and this was one of them.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTlYiGDggoU/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

4 hours ago, Nysha said:

Wait isn’t Ben a Calvinist? He seems fine with Ben.

• Useful 6
19 hours ago, CandyCaneTree said:

That photo says to me that it was the final fuck you to Blob and Clown Car.

OK, then here's another question about the photo of the Duggars watching Jinger: The photo was taken in Arkansas. Justin and Claire are in the photo. Why were Justin and Claire in Arkansas?

• Love 4

The comments on that post are odd, well to me at least. There are people scolding her saying she only needs to be baptized once and she is not following the bible, etc. Not sure how upset her family is since Hilary posted that they watched with live stream with some of her family and they were cheering and clapping for her. 

• Useful 4

Being fundy is being an extremist.  So one can be a fundy Baptist, fundy Calvinist, fundy Catholic, fundy Muslim, etc.  We tend to discuss mainly fundy protestants here.  Many of them like the Duggars are fundy Baptists.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 5
  • Love 10
40 minutes ago, Absolom said:

Being fundy is being an extremist.  So one can be a fundy Baptist, fundy Calvinist, fundy Catholic, fundy Muslim, etc.  We tend to discuss mainly fundy protestants here.  Many of them like the Duggars are fundy Baptists.

Oh ok, I understand now. Thank you! 

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I went to a range of non-Calvinist churches as a child/teen and really never heard that much about Calvinism. Like, I knew who John Calvin was, mainly from being an avid history buff, but that was about it. So, I was very surprised to attend a religious college where there was a very vocal segment of Calvinists and a very vocal backlash against them. (I was also very surprised to learn that the Calvinists I went to school with were offended at how Puritans are portrayed in pop culture. Note to self: Mentioning The Crucible as an example of why people have justifiable reasons to think Puritans are assholes does not lighten the mood of those conversations.)

Just from my experience, I think a lot of people who belong to Arminian churches don't give Calvinism much thought, but when people do care about that--on either side of the issue--they really care about that issue. 

• Useful 7
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6

Point in fact, most people have no idea they attend an Arminian church until they meet a Calvinist. Because it's not a term that is used much except as the opposite viewpoint of Calvinism. 

• Useful 6
  • Love 7
55 minutes ago, P2C2E said:

Point in fact, most people have no idea they attend an Arminian church until they meet a Calvinist. Because it's not a term that is used much except as the opposite viewpoint of Calvinism. 

Agreed! 

• Love 1
14 hours ago, CandyCaneTree said:

Can someone please help me? If you finished the book Can you please send me the Cliff Notes version 🙏 because I am stuck on page 108 and no matter how hard I try I can't read anymore. 😅

You lasted 108 pages more than me. I would never read that book.

• LOL 6

I’ve only heard of Fundie in the context of the Duggar’s and similar religious families as in Fundamental, Independent Baptists. I also grew up in Fundie church. 😫  Jerry Falwell’s sister church was in nearby VA.  Our church snarked that he was always too liberal.🙄

I read somewhere around here that someone was now pastoring a new fundamental independent Baptist church….is that right? Sounds extreme, but similar to what I grew up in.  The older fundie churches have become a little bit more liberal, but are still stinking mean.😢 I no longer attend.  My parents did until covid.  

Heres some links I found. 
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Independent_Fundamentalist_Baptist

Check this one out on Contemporary Christian music! Lol  They think it’s whore music.  And, there’re so old fashioned they’re still hung up on rock n’ roll.  Please!  

https://www.fundamentalistbaptistchurch.org/whatwebelieve.htm

THIS article is pretty interesting.  It talks about the DUGGARS around paragraph 7.

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/slacktivist/2018/12/17/independent-fundamentalist-baptists-are-a-creepy-creepy-bunch/

I hadn’t noticed about Jinger, because I used to her size, but she is really frail looking lately….my goodness.  🥺

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Useful 4

So, how does Jinger KNOW that she is among the select saved? I was taught that Jesus died for everyone. It was Jesus' death & resurrection that gives hope to all for forgiveness of sin, not a pre-selected group. I can't justify this belief in my mind or heart that only some are pre-destined for heaven....we all have that hope if we want and ask for it. I call them Christian snobs.

• Love 21
11 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I read somewhere around here that someone was now pastoring a new fundamental independent Baptist church….is that right?

Some of us who read in a couple other places have been following nutcase Steve for several years now.  His NIFB movement has run into quite a few difficulties lately.  Steve's control freak tendencies keep making him toss pastors out plus the pastors own tendencies to engage in very poor choices doesn't make this look like it will turn into a lasting thing.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

So, how does Jinger KNOW that she is among the select saved? I was taught that Jesus died for everyone. It was Jesus' death & resurrection that gives hope to all for forgiveness of sin, not a pre-selected group. I can't justify this belief in my mind or heart that only some are pre-destined for heaven....we all have that hope if we want and ask for it. I call them Christian snobs.

IKR? She didn’t know before, but since meeting Jeremy she does? But the Duggars are not? And I really don’t know what they would have to offer those who have not been “selected.” “You’re not one of the chosen ones, but you should live by these rules, because . . . Reasons?”

• LOL 3
  • Love 13
4 hours ago, Cinnabon said:

IKR? She didn’t know before, but since meeting Jeremy she does? But the Duggars are not? And I really don’t know what they would have to offer those who have not been “selected.” “You’re not one of the chosen ones, but you should live by these rules, because . . . Reasons?”

That's sorta my question about the whole Calvinist thing:  what if you join the church, get baptized and live the life and, when you die, you discover that your personal lottery ticket to the afterlife was a fake?  And, are they saying that God decided before we were born who would be saved and who would not and there's nothing to be done about it?  That, if you're among the predestined, off to heaven you go, no matter what?  And, if you're not a golden child, too bad, so sad.

I get that an omniscient God does know in advance how each of us will live our lives, what choices we will make, whether we make it to heaven or not; but these people completely deny any free will aspect to our lives?  Ok, then, what is the point?

ETA: I'm a Roman Catholic, went to Catholic schools and the concept of predestination is not part of my religious background, other than the omniscience thing which is not the same.

Edited by Rootbeer
  • Love 14