Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

4 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

DEDABCA2-6623-41A5-AE70-12ABDBAF72B9.jpeg

I'm sure there are people have daily devotions for whom it is meaningful. These poseurs are so performative in every single thing they do, however. I know this is all Jinger was taught, which is also sad, but I wish she would try to break out of her conditioning, at least a bit. I know that will be hard because Jer was literally drawn to her because he is a fakeity fake person and he thought he had found a kindred spirt.

• Love 20
7 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

'Sixty-seven percent of Grace Church attendees live more than 30 miles from the church. […] They’re coming to hear John MacArthur and when that ends they’re not going to drive that far. I would estimate the church will decline 40 to 60 percent when John MacArthur is not there.'

Don't think Jer'll have the same mesmerizing effect on a congregation. But for me this definitely sheds light on the question of why they're so desperately throwing Jeremy and other limp noodles at the wall in hopes they'll stick and be beloved by new members and a new generation., harvested from regional universities and, mostly, from social media. 

https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/how-the-pandemic-radicalized-evangelicals/

Im having trouble understanding what is so compelling about MacArthur or his preaching that would cause people to drive over 30 miles on a Sunday. Is he really that dynamic or revolutionary?  

• Love 12
17 minutes ago, awaken said:

Im having trouble understanding what is so compelling about MacArthur or his preaching that would cause people to drive over 30 miles on a Sunday. Is he really that dynamic or revolutionary?  

Well, judging by the many many gushing comments he gets on everything that's on youtube, they seem to like it that he's  forceful. He's a pretty pushy orator, and he's also pretty precise -- nothing wavering or anything. He's a good speaker in the sense that he's super-clear and direct.....Yet he's not really stiff. He's clearly a very very practiced speaker.

And then he has a kind of superior, I know-I'm-great vibe......I have a feeling he's attracted a lot of people who want some sort of king who'll tell everybody what to do and sound really sure about it. While wearing an expensive suit.

I'm kind of amazed at the tons of tongue baths he gets in the comments of every video he has. They must like how sure he sounds of himself and how condemnatory he is to whoever he's condemning -- which is a lot of people. He's very sure of himself, and I suppose that makes some people feel sure of themselves, too.  

• Useful 3
  • Love 7
8 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I'm kind of amazed at the tons of tongue baths he gets in the comments of every video he has. They must like how sure he sounds of himself and how condemnatory he is to whoever he's condemning -- which is a lot of people. He's very sure of himself, and I suppose that makes some people feel sure of themselves, too.  

You have to wonder (or maybe my mind is just warped) but maybe they instruct a group from the church or seminary in giving positive feedback. All the influencers pay for supporters so why not? 

• Useful 3
  • Love 4
44 minutes ago, Chicklet said:

You have to wonder (or maybe my mind is just warped) but maybe they instruct a group from the church or seminary in giving positive feedback. All the influencers pay for supporters so why not? 

Yeah, that occurred to me, too. But it doesn't appear to the be the case.

These fan responses been going on forever. And they happen every time there's something posted.

In some cases there are hundreds of them. And they really don't appear to be sock puppets at all. Doesn't sound phony or rehearsed. Very much individual voice.

It comes across as if they're mostly older people, 50 and uppers, conservative people, there's always a strong current in their posts about how this country's going to the dogs, and how all these changes are bad, and how they're just so grateful that he stands up for the right as it's always been, and if every minister were like him we wouldn't be in so much trouble etc. .......it's typical old-fart stuff. And I doubt the seminarians could impersonate all those people...

I expect a lot of the fervor for him is just that church is a comforting habit for many people, where you get to go and have your beliefs and feelings validated by somebody in a fancy suit who agrees with you and bucks you up. He's been at that church since 1969. And as time as gone on, he's added all kinds of extra media where they've heard him give the messages they crave over and over.

In the past 50 years, southern California's changed a lot, and this old group of conservative evangelicals who were a strong strong power base there for conservatism has been swept aside by other people, and I'm sure they hate that. And he reminds them of what they had and who they felt they were, and now they don't know what's up any more, probably. He's their "You're right! You're right! And others are wrong!" habit that they've been listening to for over 50 years and are just super attached to, I expect. 

It's definitely not something Jer or anybody like him could actually replace. He wouldn't attract this old guard who are tiring out and dying off.

They're obviously trying to find a new conservative base among younger people in the university outreach they're doing. But Jer's nobody's habit yet )and I don't see how many people would find him habit-forming, although maybe I'm missing something...) ....Plus, the people they're targeting probably have other options.

Jer's definitely going to have to ride somebody's coattails into some institution if he really does want a church job, seems to me. I can't imagine him succeeding at it on his own. But he may not be on the right coattails now. Wonder if he's aware of how dire this picture might be since the people who were telling MacArthur these facts seem to have all gotten fired for saying stuff he didn't want to hear.  😁

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 7
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Jer's definitely going to have to ride somebody's coattails into some institution if he really does want a church job, seems to me. I can't imagine him succeeding at it on his own.

Jer is so vague and bland. I was going to say vanilla but I love vanilla so I chose the kind of paste we had in elementary school which was bland and useless, even though I knew kids who ate it. That fits him better.

• LOL 12
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

I expect a lot of the fervor for him is just that church is a comforting habit for many people, where you get to go and have your beliefs and feelings validated by somebody in a fancy suit who agrees with you and bucks you up. He's been at that church since 1969. And as time as gone on, he's added all kinds of extra media where they've heard him give the messages they crave over and over.

We call that sitting in the Amen corner.  

The church is getting to be so out of place in that neighborhood that it's becoming more like a point of interest, but not a tourist stop.  

• Useful 4
  • Love 5
37 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

jrmt5v3krxi71.jpg

Lmfaooooo, I'm laughing my ass off at this, because, in my opinion, James is one of the easiest books in the Bible to read and interpret (which is probably why RFP chose it). You really don't need five sessions of Jeremy pontificating to get the gist. 

• Useful 3
  • LOL 8
  • Love 10

But what on earth qualifies Jeremy Vuolo to be the teacher on a series like this. Is he selling it?  He hasn't finished his degree. It sounds presumptuous of him to me. Are the other students at the seminary doing the same thing? If it is a class requirement,  he did pick one of the easiest, most straightforward books of the Bible to pontificate on, as @BitterApple pointed out. 

• Love 13
55 minutes ago, Liddy52 said:

But what on earth qualifies Jeremy Vuolo to be the teacher on a series like this. Is he selling it?

His big fat ego qualifies him for this. There are other "preachers" who dont' have a divinity degree, or whatever degree they are selling him,  so I'm sure he thinks why not? And he's married to a DUGGAR.

• LOL 2
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, Liddy52 said:

But what on earth qualifies Jeremy Vuolo to be the teacher on a series like this. Is he selling it?  He hasn't finished his degree. It sounds presumptuous of him to me. Are the other students at the seminary doing the same thing? If it is a class requirement,  he did pick one of the easiest, most straightforward books of the Bible to pontificate on, as @BitterApple pointed out. 

Yeah, and he's in a rut, too, because he's been pontificating on James repeatedly for quite a while now. 

I don't remember what other scriptures he's snuck into his lineup. I'm sure there have been a few. But I know that James has been a perennial subject of his for years. You might say it's his specialty -- here's one from 2015. 

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, awaken said:

5 whole hours of this sounds absolutely riveting!  And nice preaching photo there, buddy. 

I think his anti masturbation “sermon” to the Duggar boys was at least a couple hours.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2
18 hours ago, BitterApple said:

Lmfaooooo, I'm laughing my ass off at this, because, in my opinion, James is one of the easiest books in the Bible to read and interpret (which is probably why RFP chose it). You really don't need five sessions of Jeremy pontificating to get the gist. 

I am a bit curious as to how Jeremy will interpret James 2: 14-26.  You know, the whole faith without works is dead.  

• LOL 8
  • Love 9

BTW, at the moment Jer's doing another marketing fail. I went to his Instagram page specifically to find a link to this "Wisdom from James" course - and there's NOTHING there. Seriously. I had to Google it to find the website. There's not a link to that URL that I could find by going to his IG. Maybe it's there somewhere but if so it was buried this morning when I looked for it.

• Useful 5
  • LOL 7
  • Love 2

How many weeks ago was that picture taken? I know you’re not a smart man Jeremy, but your wife to change her hair.

I’m sure he Musta punched a wall when he found out only fans is going away. That was their retirement plan!

• LOL 15
1 hour ago, JoanArc said:

How many weeks ago was that picture taken? I know you’re not a smart man Jeremy, but your wife to change her hair.

I’m sure he Musta punched a wall when he found out only fans is going away. That was their retirement plan!

That's the couple they played pickleball with in North Carolina.

And I'm sure it's a picture from that trip/camp/or whatever.  It's not a new picture of those people taken in California or anything.  I think that was early July or thereabouts. 

How pitiful are you to put that kind of caption on an old picture, implying that you're with these "friends" now? 

And are they "friends"? Let alone "good friends"? Or are the two guys just both involved with reformed-church stuff so they happened to work together at one event? 

And of course nobody there is a "friend" of Jingle at all. She's just there for Jer to hold onto possessively, as always. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 1
  • Love 12

so why is jer not fully embracing his new dream? He is still often blathering on about being a professional soccer player..... also he seems heavily invested in thinking he is an influencer. So is his god's dream for him not good enough for Jer?

Edited by crazy8s
  • Love 15
5 hours ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Guess he got offered a high-paying job with his new free degree then, eh? High-dollar and full of media exposure. 

Because otherwise....

I noticed that on the "wisdom from James" sales page, he introduces himself as a former professional athlete, however. So apparently that still does have some value.... 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 3
4 hours ago, laurakaye said:

Does it even occur to Jeremy that he was simply one of the 98% of soccer players that were never going to be among the very best like Beckham and Ronaldo?  I feel like in his mind, he thinks he would have most certainly have been named in that group if only - I don't know, a higher power hadn't changed his dream for him?  Like it was his destiny but he didn't get a chance to fulfill it through no fault of his own?

Because it seems to me that he is chasing the same high level of fame as an influencer and/or mega-pastor, even though he doesn't have the talent for either.  It's like he thinks it's due him just based on who he is.  He fancies himself a Lionel Messi looking back on a storied career that was barely a blip on anyone's radar except his.

He must be absolutely exhausting to deal with in real life.

Of course what really changed his J'Dream was his two-and-a-half season pro career, involving three teams, only one of which was in a major league of any kind...and a full season-and-a-half going by without ever getting off the bench. 

Which really makes your next career less a J'Dream and more a fallback option. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 15
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Of course what really changed his J'Dream was his two-and-a-half season pro career, involving three teams, only one of which was in a major league of any kind...and a full season-and-a-half going by without ever getting off the bench. 

Which really makes your next career less a J'Dream and more a fallback option. 

Only Jeremy would think he actually had a soccer "career". Dude, you were a benchwarmer for a season and an half. That's not a career. You didn't have anything to give up.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15
6 hours ago, farmgal4 said:

What’s the deal with the J and D together?  Does that stand for Jeremy Dugger?

Doubt it.  It took me years to realize there's a Jason, but I'm pretty sure there's not a Jeremy.  And I'm pretty sure I've been aware of the Duggars a lot longer than Jeremy was.

Maybe it's meant to be the Voluomos' (however it's spelled, I can't be bothered to look it up) first name's initials.  But the douche couldn't remember his wife's first name wasn't Duggar.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1