Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

17 minutes ago, ginger90 said:

I don’t think the two of them had anything to do with the article from inTouch, beyond the fact Jinger and Jeremy post on social media. The pictures were taken from Instagram. The story was written based on posts. It wasn’t an “exclusive”. It was also a rehash of a similar article from January, 2019.

I've heard of media types and their PR teams gathering up all of this kind of stuff and packaging it, complete with copy and captions, and submitting it to the various tabloids to use as free filler; just to keep their clients out there.  We know Jer and Jing have a PR firm, I would expect that this sort of stuff is par for the course for D list celebs like them.  The tabs are much more likely to publish a pre-packaged story handed to them for free than to assign and pay someone on their own staff to do it.

• Useful 4
  • Love 8
38 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

ETA: Because I’m too lazy to Google...does MacArthur have sons or another favorite blood male relative? Because I don’t see him handing off the Kingdom to a failed soccer player...

Okay, so I googled after all...he’s got two sons and two daughters...so you know the girls are out, although one of their husbands is making a fortune providing “video services” to the organization.

One of the sons is in deep shit with the SEC for investment fraud, so that probably leaves the oldest, Matt, as the heir apparent. Judging from his Twitter feed, he certainly has the necessary level of assholery to qualify.

Jer? Not seeing your megawatt career path in that cabal...just saying....

• Useful 6
  • Love 8

Hadn't looked at the U.S. version of Murdoch's The Sun until just now. (all online) This article turned up on my Google news page. They just launched this site in Jan. 2020. 

But, yeah, I definitely would want to hire a pastor who seems to have given his personal stories to a website like this....Yeah, right....

https://www.the-sun.com/

Here's the current top story -- 

CREEPY CLAIMS 

Armie Hammer’s ex Paige Lorenze says he ‘kept mannequins in basement of his family home to learn how to tie up women’

There's a lot of Duggar stuff down in the bowels of this giant pile of "celebrity" ridiculousness, true, false and otherwise..

Duggar stuff doesn't seem to make it anywhere near the top group of horrifying nonsense, though, so I don't know that it's doing much for Jer's visibility. It probably only reaches people via news aggregators if you've already shown an interest in the Duggs. But I suppose publicists and thirsty wannabes figure that's better than nothing. 

The site will certainly publish anything that comes over the transom. It's got a pretty endless pile of "stories." Billions and billions, it seems. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ginger90 said:

I don’t think the two of them had anything to do with the article from inTouch, beyond the fact Jinger and Jeremy post on social media. The pictures were taken from Instagram. The story was written based on posts. It wasn’t an “exclusive”. It was also a rehash of a similar article from January, 2019.

I agree. They make up stories like this all the time, just like the Enquirer has done for decades. Its much easier now because of SM.

• Love 9
5 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Maybe I'm crazy, but it seems to me Jer must be doing all this stuff because he believes he'll ultimately be able to base their life and livelihood and his ultimate career, whatever that is, on this foundation of celebrityhood somehow. It all seems very intentional on his part. 

But I don't see how their celebrityhood, such as it is, could really be parlayed into anything that would actually support them long term or open any meaningful doors to them. Seems to me he's going to have to get an actual plain-old regular job at some point.

Surely TLC will tire of paying Duggars at some point....or at least will keep slowly whittling down the paychecks, even as the cost of living rises. None of them does anything interesting (these breakout stars very much included in that...). I suppose the Duggs may come to rival The Simpsons in tv longevity, but it's hard for me to see how and why....

I may be missing something, but I I don't see that the celebrity tv preachers that he may want to emulate have ever gone at celebrityhood in the way he's apparently trying to do it. Getting yourself into tabloids with stories of how tired you and your wife are with your -- horrors! -- two children doesn't seem to have been the building block of any celebrity preacher's early career....Seems to me the real celeb preachers just turn up in the tabloids later in their careers when they get caught having affairs or whatever. They don't start out there, with stories about "date nights" and how well they organize canned goods and toddler dresses. 

And, once again, I have a hard time seeing a lot of church congregations really wanting to hire a pastor who's obviously fed tabloid media with this kind of story about himself in search of fame. Surely the combination of triviality and utter self-absorption in that would raise questions with most hiring committees....And when that's coupled with Jer's highly mediocre preaching and seemingly pretty lackluster people skills, and his shy, retiring, non-high-energy pastor's wife who's so far seemed to get involved in no actual church activities at all, it adds up to a fairly unimpressive resume, seems to me....

I'd really like to know where Jer thinks he's actually going and how he proposes to get there. Hard for me to see him as anything but kind of delusional about that. 

Jeremy absolutely plans/hopes to make a career out of celebrityhood--Jinger said as much when they were house hunting and she said a house that had been owned by a celebrity back in the day (Charlie Chaplin, iirc) would be better for their career.

They're trying to emulate the trajectory of social media stars that made it big, but like every other trend the Duggars latch onto, they're way late to that party. The days of random people getting rich and famous off youtube/instagram/etc. are long gone, but Jeremy isn't going to give up that goal any time soon, especially because Jinger's fame and prepackaged audience should give them a leg up. If people have become rich from opening toy boxes on youtube, SURELY Jeremy and Jinger's time is coming.

I don't think the preacher aspect of things is all that relevant. That's not what Jeremy wants, not really. If the "foodie" and "fashion" stuff got him numbers, he'd drop McArthur in a heartbeat. But he married a famous fundie; his dad is a pastor and got him into it; Jeremy likes the idea of a captive audience taking his every word as, well, gospel. It's the most obvious stepping stone/back-up plan. MacArthur and his ilk don't care about his social media nonsense because, 1)people in power don't believe the shit they preach; 2)they don't understand social media but they know enough to know that people can become rich and famous, and with fame come really effective advertising. They're hoping/expecting for Jeremy to deliver for them in that department.

As far as potential congregations? I'm not going to pretend to understand how believers think and perceive things...I can't relate at all. But judging from *gestures at American evangelicals*--Jeremy's social media and tabloid nonsense isn't likely to be a factor. His complete lack oratory skills, biting rhetoric, or charisma, though...yeah, that's going to be a problem.

• Love 13
On 1/21/2021 at 11:48 PM, Albanyguy said:

I think Jinger left thrift shops behind her a long time ago, along with Tater Tot Casserole and communal clothes closets.

Ten years ago, if someone had told me that this would be Jinger's life, I would have thought they were crazy.  Jessa - yes; Jinger - most definitely not. 

• Love 4
51 minutes ago, lascuba said:

But judging from *gestures at American evangelicals*--Jeremy's social media and tabloid nonsense isn't likely to be a factor. 

From my experience, I think a lot of congregations would take one look at his social media and the tabloid stuff and think he was too worldly and/or insufficiently fervent in his faith. And actually I would agree with that assessment and never hire him as a pastor if I had any say in that.

The people I know who are attracted to the John MacArthur school of thought especially tend to have giant sticks up their asses, and I don't see them being amused by Jeremy's social media persona such as it is. Then again, I would never would have imagined John MacArthur would have been a fan of it, either, but it doesn't seem to have affected Jeremy's standing in the pecking order. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13

I'm on team leaked by JinJer themselves, mostly because of the marital problems (oh no!) -> date night -> fixed! bit. That is straight out of the "Young married fundies without jobs or educations, or anything much to talk about, but there's still money to be made on the lecture circuit!" playbook. (See Ben and Jessa, the Rolofs, Jill and her NOT Kama Sutra, at least a few of the Bates via SM). Now, we all know how those couples became breakout stars and household names so... 

Un oh, Jer! A day late and a dollar short again!

• LOL 12
  • Love 8

I am more tired with 2 children if I stay at home, than when I'm at work.

Probably because of the rut, every day is the same. When I work, I communicate with my colleagues, I feel useful, and I can honestly be a better mom.

My kids were at home from kindergarten more than a month in December/January, and we were all a bit crazy (they are in kindergarten from approximately 8 until 3).

So I understand her. And maybe she got baby blues, PPD or something. This is all hormones related, does not have to be because of a bad marriage

• Love 12

I’ve been both a SAHM and working Mum ... working and kids is way tougher, just everyone out the door on time in the morning was exhausting, let alone coming home to get a meal on the table and wrangle little kids to bath and bed after a full day of work. 
although there can be a tediousness to life with little kids at least as a SAHM I could get things done during the day, get a meal going in the slow cooker while kids were having breakfast, get some washing done in between kid wrangling,lay when they lay down. 
if the claims of jinger being exhausted are true she gets no sympathy from me, she’s never done a days work in her life, let alone done a days work with small children 

Edited by Totally
  • Love 20

Being a SAHM is no easier than being a WM, that's such a biased statement. When you stay home with your children there is no "off time". You essentially work all hours and you never get a break from them or any time to yourself. 

• Love 11
5 minutes ago, Tasya said:

Being a SAHM is no easier than being a WM, that's such a biased statement. When you stay home with your children there is no "off time". You essentially work all hours and you never get a break from them or any time to yourself. 

I agree. At work we take breaks, go to get coffee (ok maybe this is different from US), talk with adults about non-kids topics. With kids, there is no such thing. Always someone needs something

But I as say, maybe it is different in the US than in my country

Edited by Snow Fairy

I can certainly understand why Jinger is exhausted- it’s very likely she could be depressed. Add in being pregnant during the pandemic (something I wouldn’t want to have to experience), living far from family, having your routine disrupted, then giving birth and having a toddler/newborn to care for with the pandemic still occurring. 

No Jinger & Jeremy haven’t followed guidelines the way many people in CA have, but I can see how the pandemic and restrictions have disrupted their lives. She also may physically just not have felt well during this pregnancy/post partum period. 

All that together- yes I can believe she is exhausted. 

• Love 11

My mind always goes to postpartum issues, which can happen to any woman. In Fundie world, a woman is not likely to receive help, so if that is Jinger's issue, I'm glad if she is getting a nanny. 

• Love 9

Gossip magazines combine common sense with existing and new rumors to write these articles. Very rarely, if ever, do they speak with the 'stars' or any other "source". The articles are never flattering and are always written to get readers riled up.

Celebrities have said, unless a magazine crosses a line they won't sue because its too much trouble and any press is good press. But ... because more celebrities have sued, the articles have become less salacious and more mundane, and harder to prove false.

I'm guessing all new moms are tired. I bet many couples have increased spats while adjusting to newborns and lack of sleep. I also think every mother in the world has wished for a nanny at least once in their kids lifetimes. 

This article did what it wanted. It painted an ugly picture of a 'celebrity' couple and got increased clicks.

• Love 13

I agree that this is pre-publication hype for Jeremy and Jinger.  I did some digging around, and their book is the first big book for their revamped imprint, Worthy Books.  Hachette is relaunching the imprint this year after purchasing the smaller publisher back in 2018.  I do wish I could access the paid website that announces book deals to see what their advance was.  That will really tell how much their publisher is allocating to their marketing campaign.  The higher the advance, the more the publisher is willing to do to sell more copies.  

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/religion/article/84983-hachette-nashville-to-relaunch-worthy-publishing.html

• Useful 5
  • Love 6
43 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I agree that this is pre-publication hype for Jeremy and Jinger.  I did some digging around, and their book is the first big book for their revamped imprint, Worthy Books.  Hachette is relaunching the imprint this year after purchasing the smaller publisher back in 2018.  I do wish I could access the paid website that announces book deals to see what their advance was.  That will really tell how much their publisher is allocating to their marketing campaign.  The higher the advance, the more the publisher is willing to do to sell more copies.  

https://www.publishersweekly.com/pw/by-topic/industry-news/religion/article/84983-hachette-nashville-to-relaunch-worthy-publishing.html

Plus, given the sad facts about people's spending on books these, days, publishers love you as a writer much much more now if you proactively do your own promotion -- the more the better. Willingness and ability to do that is very often -- if not always -- a factor in deciding to give somebody a book contract today, especially when it comes to people who haven't published anything before. And that appears to hold for pretty much every book category, as I understand it. 

So Jer -- who already had a publicist -- is a Worthy dream "author" right now. I'd be surprised if that's not one of the very top reasons they picked the D-Vs to be one of the early book subjects in their relaunch. 

He loves publicizing himself and came into the thing with not just a social media platform and a tv platform, but with a history of (not too successfully...but still...) working with his own publicists and photographers to make himself well known and influential. And I think that's still a bit unusual in the world, even with so many people scrambling to be influencers. So this book is going to get a double-pronged promotion -- from the publisher and from the Duggar-Vuolo PR apparatus.

My guess is that these particular stories are Duggar-Vuolo-publicist creations, but the publisher might be giving some input, too. In any case, Jer's currently their wet dream, I'd bet. And -- unfortunately, in this case! -- it will help sales.. Question is, how much. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 5
40 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Plus, given the sad facts about people's spending on books these, days, publishers love you as a writer much much more now if you proactively do your own promotion -- the more the better. Willingness and ability to do that is very often -- if not always -- a factor in deciding to give somebody a book contract today, especially when it comes to people who haven't published anything before. And that appears to hold for pretty much every book category, as I understand it. 

So Jer -- who already had a publicist -- is a Worthy dream "author" right now. I'd be surprised if that's not one of the very top reasons they picked the D-Vs to be one of the early book subjects in their relaunch. 

He loves publicizing himself and came into the thing with not just a social media platform and a tv platform, but with a history of (not too successfully...but still...) working with his own publicists and photographers to make himself well known and influential. And I think that's still a bit unusual in the world, even with so many people scrambling to be influencers. So this book is going to get a double-pronged promotion -- from the publisher and from the Duggar-Vuolo PR apparatus.

My guess is that these particular stories are Duggar-Vuolo-publicist creations, but the publisher might be giving some input, too. In any case, Jer's currently their wet dream, I'd bet. And -- unfortunately, in this case! -- it will help sales.. Question is, how much. 

I think Worthy looked at Jinger and Jeremy's total Instagram followers and did the math.  They only need 5% of them to buy the book for it to recoup their investment.  That would be around 50,000 copies plus libraries.  I'm being conservative and capping their followers at 1 million.  The publisher is smart enough to not factor in Jeremy's followers.  Jinger is the one who has the million plus followers and is the bigger name.  

I do suspect that their book will sell decently the first week when all of the pre-orders are processed, and then steeply drop off.  Then the ebook will be heavily discounted in order to boost sales for another week or two.  By that time, Worthy will have a new book to push.  I expect it to sell between 50,000-75,000 copies though.  Unless it becomes a runaway bestseller in the quasi-christian market like Girl, Wash Your Face.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
7 hours ago, floridamom said:

Maybe there's something wrong with me but Jinger doesn't have to go to work every day. Why is she exhausted with 2 children? Many women have two children and have to go out to a 40 hour a week job...and they actually COOK their family's meals. Jinger doesn't cook. It's evident to me with that pristine oven that was shown. There is no reason for Ms. Princess Jinger to be exhausted. Marital problems? How could this be since Jim Bob Duggar prays for the Godly, perfect husband for each of his daughters...(except housemaid Jana)? Aren't their lives supposed to be perfectly happy and 'heaven on Earth"?

YES! I was a single mom, had to get up for every night feeding, get up and dressed and dress her, take her to daycare, go to work, pick her up, come home and cook, clean, wash, everything. I never felt "exhausted", this is just what needed to be done, so I did it. Never gave it a second thought. My mom had 3 of us, worked 40 hours and overtime when available, cooked everyday including the weekends, baked on Sundays, went to a laundromat cause we didn't have a washer and dryer, I could go on. It's just what it was.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

Two unemployed people grifting their way through L.A., isn't a very exciting story. But throw in marital discord, possible PPD, mom stress and the pandemic, and they can triumphantly proclaim they overcame it and their marriage is stronger than ever. It's nothing but one giant, predictable script. 

And they didn't even need a screenwriter, as TLC did most of the pre-production for them.  It's like a movie you'd find on any fundie-type channel, and they get to star as themselves.  They don't even need Kirk Cameron to help promote it. 

Pretty damn smart, actually.  

8 hours ago, Snow Fairy said:

I am more tired with 2 children if I stay at home, than when I'm at work.

I have a toddler and am pregnant with #2 due in May. I work part time. My work just finally reopened after being shut down for ten weeks , and this was my first weekend back at work. My Husband was parenting from 8 am to 12 pm ( only 4 hours) and both days when I came home he had a nap when my daughter did. It is Exhausting!!I feel like I've been on vacation all weekend, honestly. LOL. 

However, with two parents fully at home for the most part, Jinger should not feel the entire burden of childcare day in and day out. I am sure Jeremy is completely useless and unhelpful. My husband has a very demanding, out of the house job, and every day I still get about 2 hours of a break + post bedtime to relax/ do what I want to do. There are no excuses to why Jeremy seems to be this way aside from 'patriarchy'

But, at any rate, maybe this will inspire them to STOP having kids and only take on what they can handle. I feel like Jill learned this lesson, and hopefully Jinger will too. 

• Love 23
1 hour ago, HoneyBeach said:

YES! I was a single mom, had to get up for every night feeding, get up and dressed and dress her, take her to daycare, go to work, pick her up, come home and cook, clean, wash, everything. I never felt "exhausted", this is just what needed to be done, so I did it. Never gave it a second thought. My mom had 3 of us, worked 40 hours and overtime when available, cooked everyday including the weekends, baked on Sundays, went to a laundromat cause we didn't have a washer and dryer, I could go on. It's just what it was.

I guess some people are better at parenting than others. I'm a single mom of a 1 year old and I'm exhausted. I love my boy to death but I'm tired constantly.  Imaging having a toddler and a newborn, no, I could never do it. 

• Love 16
9 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

And I'm not sure what he means by "weekly iPhone screen time report is convicting?"  Does he mean that his iPhone busted him on how much time he actually does spend on his phone when he thinks he's being a good boy and not spending all his free time scrolling to see what Cade is up to?  

These fundies and their convicting and fellowshipping.  Do they ever have convicting fellowship or does that only go on in prison?

• LOL 20
9 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

And I'm not sure what he means by "weekly iPhone screen time report is convicting?

Well I'm sure his screen time far out paces any time he spends studying, helping Jinger with the family or anything else for that matter.

• Love 22

That is one sad, unappetizing “pizza.”  SGirl (13) makes a chicken, bacon, with ranch/garlic sauce pizza, final toppings are Italian seasonings, and grated Parmesan. And yes, I forgot to add the mozzarella. My girl is an actual foodie, when eating out and at home. Jeremy is a poser, a vacuous one. 

• Love 11

Oh man, now I want a Chef Boy R Dee pizza....

In my imagination, JereMe was stuck at home and wanted to order a fancy takeout pizza costing approximately $48.50 but his debit card was declined because he doesn't have a job and no one bought any desperation-scented candles from Hoof & Steed to bring in another $1.67 in profit so he whined and moped about how he really really wanted pizza, so Jing - in between diaper changes, laundry folding and entertaining a toddler - offered to make him one to shut him up.  Hence the store-bought crust, the jar of Ragu and some tossed-on pre-shredded cheese.  Then he insisted on her taking some video of him loving it to prove that his face doesn't actually belong on the Mount Rushmore of Pretentiousness.  I'd say it backfired because he just looks stupid.

• LOL 20
  • Love 1
40 minutes ago, QuinnInND said:

And still no pics of the baby.  So strange. That pizza reminds me of the boxed Chef Boy R Dee ones. Couldn't get more basic. 

That is definitely a premade crust of some sort.  It's too round for starters.  I have made my own pizzas at home with balls of premade dough, and have never achieved a perfect circle.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, leighdear said:

What "system" are they in that they're "working"?   

The system that lines their pockets with gold!  The system that tells them how to work the crowd to sell more books and finally the system that shows them how to amass large followings to become an influencer and be showered with products you advertise on your social media!

• Love 9
7 minutes ago, Jeanne222 said:

The system that lines their pockets with gold!  The system that tells them how to work the crowd to sell more books and finally the system that shows them how to amass large followings to become an influencer and be showered with products you advertise on your social media!

Then it sounds like they're doing it right, like millions of other people, and every celebrity on the planet.  

22 hours ago, Dirndl said:

I guess some people are better at parenting than others. I'm a single mom of a 1 year old and I'm exhausted. I love my boy to death but I'm tired constantly.  Imaging having a toddler and a newborn, no, I could never do it. 

I didn't mean to knock you, I really am surprised when I hear people who don't work outside the home - on top of the work in the home, say they are exhausted. Maybe it's just because of my upbringing, I have been helping since I was 5, like cleaning the bathrooms when I was in kindergarten. 

And I'm that person. Our homemade pizzas were English muffins, jarred sauce, whatever cheese we had, which might have been only Parmesan and whatever leftovers were in the fridge. 

For a food snob, Jeremy certainly has a taste for what I consider regular-Joe take out foods. Even if they're prepared in the home.

• Love 9
22 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

And I'm that person. Our homemade pizzas were English muffins, jarred sauce, whatever cheese we had, which might have been only Parmesan and whatever leftovers were in the fridge. 

For a food snob, Jeremy certainly has a taste for what I consider regular-Joe take out foods. Even if they're prepared in the home.

Your homemade pizzas sound a lot like the ones Jill makes.  Honestly,  if Jill was the one who posted that pizza, I would say it's a step up from the other ones she has posted.  I expect more from the Vuolos.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, GeeGolly said:

Growing up, I remember the occasional Chef Boyardee pizza kit in our house. Then we got a good pizza place in town and that was over. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 9