Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

4 hours ago, crazy8s said:

of course Jer's first attempt at making a cake is a mix that costs $25

https://www.thecakerusa.com/cake-kits-collection/chocolate-gold

I wondered what the yellow stuff on top was. 🤪

I've eaten a tiny amount of gold leaf food decoration in my time, and, um, it adds nothing to the actual eating and tasting experience, as far as I know.

Does add to the price, of course. And, especially, to the pretension. So I suppose that's the idea. 

14 minutes ago, BradandJanet said:

But this flourless chocolate cake is sprinkled with edible gold leaf! That explains the price. Edible flowers are recommended too, but you have to supply those yourself.

Was Jeremy raised to be insufferable, or has he done this to himself? 

I know little about his brother and sister, but what I've seen doesn't seem terribly insufferable. .... It's possible they are, though.

Or that being the baby of the family has interacted badly with Jer's natural personality or something, I suppose.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 10
58 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

It’s flavorless. It’s decorative. It’s expensive. It’s fairly useless other than that.

No wonder RFP identifies...

Oh, yeah!

And as we can see from the top of Jer's cake, it isn't even all that decorative. 😁

He can change his name to Bakers Goldleaf Vuolo. 

• LOL 7
2 hours ago, truebluesmoky said:

Even if he was confused about the Celsius vs Fahrenheit temperature, anyone who has done any baking ever (not just sweets, but lasagna or baked chicken or whatever) would know that  180 was definitely too low (ahem, JINGER). Even if the cake tastes okay, the texture will be off from baking so long at a low temperature before the real temp was reached. Also, one of his last stories showed that they don’t own a cooling rack, which tells me that no one is doing much baking in that household in general.

You don't even need to bake to take a look at the oven settings and see that 180 is probably just about the lowest setting and that the dial goes all the way up to 500 degrees.  If nothing else, just seeing that should've caused him to double check the oven temperature.

• Love 10

Bah women's work and beneath Jeremy's notice. Really have to be desperate to post that pathetic cake online. Was he going for sympathy? Oh look at me, my wife won't bake so I'll step in and show up incapable I am?

• Love 9
39 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

You don't even need to bake to take a look at the oven settings and see that 180 is probably just about the lowest setting and that the dial goes all the way up to 500 degrees.  If nothing else, just seeing that should've caused him to double check the oven temperature.

Now that you mention it, my oven won’t bake at any temperature under 200. If I try to set it at 180 it would beep at me until I enter a valid temperature. You would think he would have had to heat up a frozen pizza at some point in his life.

Edited by MargeGunderson
  • Love 20
15 hours ago, floridamom said:

Even someone who 'isn't a cook' has general knowledge that a cake isn't baked at 180deg F . How clueless and inept can Jeremy be? I guess as clueless as Jessa was when she tried to bake something and also set the oven to 180deg F and wondered why her dish wasn't cooked also? These people are really helpless with many life skills although they claim to be so 'highly trained' in them.

I'm wondering if he took the idea and put the temp at 180F on purpose.

It just seems like too much of a coincidence that Jessa did the same thing, these people are always working an angle.

He probably thinks it will come across like an old "I Love Lucy" episode with his followers all gushing...."Oh my goodness everyone..look how funny and sweet Jeremy is trying to be a great hubby and baking a cake but setting the wrong temp...so cute his heart was in the right place!!!"

• Useful 4
  • Love 10
57 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I'm wondering if he took the idea and put the temp at 180F on purpose.

It just seems like too much of a coincidence that Jessa did the same thing, these people are always working an angle.

He probably thinks it will come across like an old "I Love Lucy" episode with his followers all gushing...."Oh my goodness everyone..look how funny and sweet Jeremy is trying to be a great hubby and baking a cake but setting the wrong temp...so cute his heart was in the right place!!!"

I'm sure he was trying to at least look relatable and charming in some way, but if he intended to screw it up intentionally, he's even dumber for using such an expensive mix. 

OMG I finally clicked on the link for that cake mix, and I snort laughed at how ugly the pic is that the company uses to advertise it. Why would anyone look at that and think, "Yeah, I want to pay $25 to eat that"?

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 5
  • Love 9
8 minutes ago, Zella said:

I'm sure he was trying to at least look relatable and charming in some way, but if he intended to screw it up intentionally, he's even dumber for using such an expensive mix. 

OMG I finally clicked on the link for that cake mix, and I snort laughed at how ugly the pic is that the company uses to advertise it. Why would anyone look at that and think, "Yeah, I want to pay $25 to eat that"?

Yet the Vuolos did. 😂

• LOL 11
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, doodlebug said:

Good point, although in the Vuolos' case it seems like their oven doesn't have any dial, just some sort of digital display.

But yeah, Jeremy is clueless anyway.

• Love 5

There's an old saying, if you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras.  Along the lines of, if the ground is wet in the morning, it must have rained overnight. 

The directions clearly state 180°C or 350°F and an 8" or 20cm pan.

Jeremy didn't even have to make that jump alone, the directions on the box gave him a choice between zebras and horses. He picked zebras for the temperature and horses for the pan? I call bullshit on this one. He cooked it at 350° right out of the gate.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
2 hours ago, GeeGolly said:

There's an old saying, if you hear hoof beats, think horses, not zebras.  Along the lines of, if the ground is wet in the morning, it must have rained overnight. 

The directions clearly state 180°C or 350°F and an 8" or 20cm pan.

Jeremy didn't even have to make that jump alone, the directions on the box gave him a choice between zebras and horses. He picked zebras for the temperature and horses for the pan? I call bullshit on this one. He cooked it at 350° right out of the gate.

In that case .... Who doesn't love a would-be pastor who makes up stories about himself to win "fans"?

Let's hire him to be our moral and spiritual guide! Nothing screams "pastoral" like a fibbing phony totally preoccupied with trivial shit like expensive cakes -- "decorated" with real gold! -- and trendier-than-thou shoes and jackets! And whose chief goals in life are celebrity and free money! 

He has no substance. It's all silly puffery. 

Which would be okay if he didn't also pretend to be the exact opposite of that. Such an idiot. 

I really hope he actually made the mistake with the temperature rather than lying about it. I'd like him a lot better for doing that than for the other, given his apparent career intentions and supposed beliefs.

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 13
9 hours ago, Pinke said:

Good point, although in the Vuolos' case it seems like their oven doesn't have any dial, just some sort of digital display.

But yeah, Jeremy is clueless anyway.

My oven only has a digital display, too, but, if I tried to heat it to a temperature of 180, it wouldn't let me.  As someone else here noted, most ovens start at 200 degrees, even digital ones. Mine gives an error message for anything less than that.  I have a feeling Jer tried to set it for 180 F, got the error message and went on to set it at 200F rather than trying to figure out why the oven wouldn't accept 180 as a baking temperature by double checking the recipe.

Or, probably more likely, he thought the story about Farenheit vs Celsius was cute and relatable and the whole thing was a lie.

Edited by doodlebug
  • Love 18

If we put Jeremy's post in perspective, he played a dumb Christian on SM. Its not really comparable to Haggard, Swaggart, Phillips and Bakker.

(what is it with sleazy preachers and double lettered names?)

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
20 minutes ago, GeeGolly said:

If we put Jeremy's post in perspective, he played a dumb Christian on SM. Its not really comparable to Haggard, Swaggart, Phillips and Bakker.

Absolutely! But, of course, those guys were beginner hypocritical would-be celeb phonies once, too......And...ultimately they're probably more generally talented (and possibly more energetic) in the charisma-and-conman department than Jer is. 

Nevertheless, just because you're a less talented jerk and you haven't yet been handed much power doesn't mean your questionable actions are ethically more defensible!  ---

Clumsy bank robber who gets caught in five minutes: "I don't rob banks very well so I should be viewed as morally less repugnant because of my lack of skill." Uh, no. The ethics rules apply to you, too, clumsy thief. 

And if a church congregation hands a position of influence and responsibility to anybody who shows those tendencies, even in a minimal way, in my opinion they're making a very bad choice that's likely to be harmful to them in some ways in the long run -- even if they choose a relatively untalented jerk. 

Much better, to me, that Jer actually made the mistake over the temperature than that he made this story up to win over fans.

I'll take incompetent over phony-for-personal-benefit any day! Especially when it comes to anyone who aspires to power over and responsibility for other people, as Jer--apparently--does, given his stated career choice. 

Note: I don't know which I think he actually did. I'm probably biased because of my strong preference for him being a dumb-ass rather than a flat-out phony-for-clicks, but I can see reasons to believe either explanation. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9
34 minutes ago, Zella said:

I could see it now. Jeremy's in his finest hipster apparel while Cade is rocking his Doc Holliday cosplay. The $25 cake mix lies abandoned as they spend most of the 30 minutes flirting with each other and complimenting each other's (and their own) hair. They run out of time to bake anything, but they're banking on you being so captivated by their charm that you come back for Part 2. In which nothing is baked either. 

This is hilarious to imagine.  Of course Cade would be wearing his "eye trap" belt buckle...

• LOL 16
2 minutes ago, Suzn said:

This is hilarious to imagine.  Of course Cade would be wearing his "eye trap" belt buckle...

I laughed so hard envisioning that. He would. He totally would. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, doodlebug said:

My oven only has a digital display, too, but, if I tried to heat it to a temperature of 180, it wouldn't let me.  As someone else here noted, most ovens start at 200 degrees, even digital ones. Mine gives an error message for anything less than that.  I have a feeling Jer tried to set it for 180 F, got the error message and went on to set it at 200F rather than trying to figure out why the oven wouldn't accept 180 as a baking temperature by double checking the recipe.

Or, probably more likely, he thought the story about Farenheit vs Celsius was cute and relatable and the whole thing was a lie.

Yeah, thought so. I was commenting on the dial aspect since it was brought up.

Edited by Pinke
  • Love 2

The directions on the cake box say 180 C or 350 F fan bake. I assume that means convection, which makes the oven even hotter. However, in the photos that go with the ad for this cake, the young woman wearing vinyl leggings and a sorcerer's robe is baking her cake in a wood-burning pizza oven, so who knows. 

• LOL 9
4 hours ago, Zella said:

I could see it now. Jeremy's in his finest hipster apparel while Cade is rocking his Doc Holliday cosplay. The $25 cake mix lies abandoned as they spend most of the 30 minutes flirting with each other and complimenting each other's (and their own) hair. They run out of time to bake anything, but they're banking on you being so captivated by their charm that you come back for Part 2. In which nothing is baked either. 

I read an interview with Gabby over the weekend where she said she was hoping their baby had Cade's hair, because she thought he had better hair than her. So now I'm picturing him on the show with a fan in the background, tossing it Fabio-style. I am amused by this.

• LOL 15
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, BradandJanet said:

The directions on the cake box say 180 C or 350 F fan bake. I assume that means convection, which makes the oven even hotter. However, in the photos that go with the ad for this cake, the young woman wearing vinyl leggings and a sorcerer's robe is baking her cake in a wood-burning pizza oven, so who knows. 

180 C is for Celsius, even with a convection oven (I have one) it won't make 180 get that hot, it just helps circulate the air around more and speed up cooking time, not necessarily make the oven hotter.  180 C is equal to roughly 356 Farenheit

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

That's a lot of pomposity in one photo.

Did Michelle teach them all several in-depth history lessons about the fantastic places they've been able to visit (that most people can only dream of seeing) so the kids would be able to appreciate where they were?  Just kidding.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, laurakaye said:

That's a lot of pomposity in one photo.

Did Michelle teach them all several in-depth history lessons about the fantastic places they've been able to visit (that most people can only dream of seeing) so the kids would be able to appreciate where they were?  Just kidding.

They told them that China was a godless country where people didn't worship the right Jesus and were all going straight to hell.  What else could they possibly need to know?   Except maybe that geishas are part of Japanese culture, not Chinese.

• Love 7

Okay, for reasons I don’t completely understand, last night I tried to set my oven to 180 degrees F. It worked. So did the little oven (I have a three-year-old double oven thingie). It’s a digital display.

So as much as I think RFP is a huge tool and not above bullshitting about something like this without a second thought, given that their grifted house looks pretty new, I guess it’s possible it was an honest mistake. 

And now I hate myself.

• LOL 19
  • Love 1
51 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

Does anyone else find that picture offensive?  Nothing like dressing up as the godless natives!

Yes, it is offensive and Jinger is too ignorant to even know what country's culture they are appropriating.

• Love 17
On 1/17/2021 at 10:06 PM, iwantcookies said:

As someone said instead of a $25 Mix I rather buy a cake from a bakery. 

They probably got the mix for free anyway.

Or as a gift. Maybe that’s why he tagged Gabby.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, MargeGunderson said:

Does anyone else find that picture offensive?  Nothing like dressing up as the godless natives!

I was stationed in Japan way back in the 70's.  The Japanese love to dress up foreigners in traditional geisha garb.   There are places you can go to do this and it's expensive.

Japan is the country where all the Duggars turned their noses up  at Japanese fare, except Jordyn, who loved it.

• Useful 12
  • Love 1