Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

3 minutes ago, Joan of Argh said:

I wonder how the others feel when Jer and Jin are listed as "the breakout STARS of Counting On"?

Jessa would be throwing something at the nearest wall, shrieking "I AM THE STAR!!!!!!" 

Edited by emmawoodhouse
Spacing issue
  • LOL 18
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Joan of Argh said:

I wonder how the others feel when Jer and Jin are listed as "the breakout STARS of Counting On"?

They did 'break out' of Arkansas!  And they are a plane ride away from Jim Bob and Michelle!

• LOL 8
  • Love 5
10 hours ago, Joan of Argh said:

They probably feel bad, but according to the theology of this group there's no reason to give a crap about the feelings of others. 

As we've observed in their behavior for the past 20 years or wo. 

• Love 8
10 hours ago, galaxygirl76 said:

$26 for a book that has 224 pages? The about the author section is pure comedy. 

I am also shocked that they got a hardcover deal with a division of Hachette.  The ebook price is outrageous--$13.99.  I did a bit of digging on Amazon, and apparently this is the going rate for inspirational schlock.  Color me surprised.  I rarely spend more than $10 on an ebook.  If I'm paying $13.99, I'm expecting a quality work I will revisit.  

• Useful 5
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I am also shocked that they got a hardcover deal with a division of Hachette.  The ebook price is outrageous--$13.99.  I did a bit of digging on Amazon, and apparently this is the going rate for inspirational schlock.  Color me surprised.  I rarely spend more than $10 on an ebook.  If I'm paying $13.99, I'm expecting a quality work I will revisit.  

Plus, I've looked at some of the other "true story" books from that imprint. And the people in them seem to actually have, you know, stories. Real drama, real struggles, and so on. Whereas these two have the tamest, most uneventful stories I can imagine.

Jer's life story is ho-hum as heck, and they sure aren't going to do any expose on the Duggars, so, if anything, that makes Jingle's story ho-hummer yet. I expect the only thing about the Vuolos that attracted the publisher was their TeeVee-derived fame and their possible appeal to a small but fervent following who like romance books uneventful and super-holy. Or who think Jer's hot. (which obviously some do -- some even think JB is hot....🤪

Like MacArthur, the publisher's probably just looking at those social-media-follower numbers, noting that these two seem to successfully portray themselves as aspirational figures for some followers, and calculating that there are probably a few 10s of thousands of superfans who'll happily pay for a book about them, even if it's expensive...........

You only need 10 or 15,000 in sales these days to have a book deemed a success, I think. (unless the writer is already super famous either as a writer or as something else, in which case more is expected....)

And I expect the publishing math goes like this --- Jingle has approximately a million and a half social media followers. So getting 15,000 of them to buy the book would mean enticing only 1 percent of them to buy it. I imagine that seems quite doable.

I think that's what accounts for the price. They know they won't sell many. They understand the general public won't have any interest in reading about these two.

But for just about any famous-for-no-reason person there are a few percent of fans who are really devoted and will buy anything (even dumb hats). So you just charge a high enough price for the books so that the superfans' buys -- which aren't very price-dependent -- will bring in a small but real slice of profit. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8
1 hour ago, Churchhoney said:

Plus, I've looked at some of the other "true story" books from that imprint. And the people in them seem to actually have, you know, stories. Real drama, real struggles, and so on. Whereas these two have the tamest, most uneventful stories I can imagine.

Jer's life story is ho-hum as heck, and they sure aren't going to do any expose on the Duggars, so, if anything, that makes Jingle's story ho-hummer yet. I expect the only thing about the Vuolos that attracted the publisher was their TeeVee-derived fame and their possible appeal to a small but fervent following who like romance books uneventful and super-holy. Or who think Jer's hot. (which obviously some do -- some even think JB is hot....🤪

Like MacArthur, the publisher's probably just looking at those social-media-follower numbers, noting that these two seem to successfully portray themselves as aspirational figures for some followers, and calculating that there are probably a few 10s of thousands of superfans who'll happily pay for a book about them, even if it's expensive...........

You only need 10 or 15,000 in sales these days to have a book deemed a success, I think. (unless the writer is already super famous either as a writer or as something else, in which case more is expected....)

And I expect the publishing math goes like this --- Jingle has approximately a million and a half social media followers. So getting 15,000 of them to buy the book would mean enticing only 1 percent of them to buy it. I imagine that seems quite doable.

I think that's what accounts for the price. They know they won't sell many. They understand the general public won't have any interest in reading about these two.

But for just about any famous-for-no-reason person there are a few percent of fans who are really devoted and will buy anything (even dumb hats). So you just charge a high enough price for the books so that the superfans' buys -- which aren't very price-dependent -- will bring in a small but real slice of profit. 

I do suspect that a week or two after publication date the price will drop.  That is also one of the reasons why publishers continue to increase the ebook price.  Amazon is no longer discounting physical books, but ebook prices fluctuate.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I do suspect that a week or two after publication date the price will drop.  That is also one of the reasons why publishers continue to increase the ebook price.  Amazon is no longer discounting physical books, but ebook prices fluctuate.  

Exactly. The publisher knows that the superfans who'll pay a high price exist. Because they seem to exist for just about anybody. And they know a certain number of those will swoop in immediately and buy the book no matter what they charge, within certain limits that they probably have plenty of data on......

And that'll cover the costs and provide at least a sliver of profit, because they gamed that out. And after that it's all gravy. (and even if nobody else buys at a price that brings any profit, they're still at least a bit ahead of the game, ,because of those first pricey buys...) 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, laurakaye said:

When I see it at my local Dollar Tree in a couple of weeks, maybe I'll pick it up.

I laugh, but Covid has done a number on book publishing.  Backups galore along the production line due to reduced staff and difficulty getting the necessary raw materials.  Independent bookstores are having difficulty getting the latest bestsellers.  The print run of this book will be much smaller than the other Duggar books.  Their book is being published by an imprint of Hachette.  If these production issues still exist in the next couple of months, Hachette would have to prioritize which books get sent the printers.  And a quick glance at the authors they publish tells me that if they had to decide between James Patterson's 6th book of 2021 or The Hope We Hold, they won't be going with TLC's breakout stars.  There is very little chance that enough copies of this book will be printed for Dollar Tree to acquire them.

• Useful 7
  • Love 6

I remember reading some Goodreads reviews of "Growing Up Duggar: It's All About Relationships 🤢" once. One person classified the book as "religious-horror." 

That'll be about right for any book any of them publishes, I expect. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • LOL 24

My kids are staying in their houses or yards and only using curbside pickup.  Right now they are only picking up from the grocery store or Target.  Thankfully they all either already worked from home or have switched to it.  At this point I'm ready to hope a high number of MacArthur's crew and other mask refusers get sick.  I don't want them to add to the hospital burden though.

• Love 12
10 hours ago, Churchhoney said:

Maybe they're just testing this cover and before the book comes out they'll swap Jer out for Fabio. 

This is the 2nd cover. The first one had Jerm front and center with his gaping mouth. Pictures seem to have been taken early 2020, Covid definitely made them push the book back another year because they can't tour right now. I think they meant to announce it along with her pregnancy.787155633_Screenshot_20201117-183134_AmazonShopping.jpg.feed4feeba8b591b682dc222e75d02c3.jpg

• Useful 8
  • Love 1
22 minutes ago, Lunera said:

This is the 2nd cover. The first one had Jerm front and center with his gaping mouth. Pictures seem to have been taken early 2020, Covid definitely made them push the book back another year because they can't tour right now. I think they meant to announce it along with her pregnancy.787155633_Screenshot_20201117-183134_AmazonShopping.jpg.feed4feeba8b591b682dc222e75d02c3.jpg

ACE0F8BA-199B-4286-8431-86DF7841BF3A.jpeg

• LOL 22
5 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

interesting the old pic and cover said Jeremy and Jinger Vuolo

and the new one is Jinger and Jermey Vuolo

Ha. Helpmeet THAT, JerBoy. You clearly failed the focus groups. You’re Mr. Jinger Duggar now. BWAWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

ETA: Churchhoney, great minds!

Edited by Oldernowiser
  • LOL 14
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Ha. Helpmeet THAT, JerBoy. You clearly failed the focus groups. You’re Mr. Jinger Duggar now. BWAWAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!

ETA: Churchhoney, great minds!

I wonder if Jer realizes that's who done him in? 

Sure hope so. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 3
2 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I wonder if Jer realizes that's who done him in? 

Sure hope so. 

Better to ride Jing coat tails than be a complete nobody. But yes I think Jer is extremely disappointed/angry that he isn’t famous (for what exactly I am not sure). Maybe butt kissing?  I don’t see him being a great preacher ever.

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
On 1/4/2021 at 9:06 PM, emmawoodhouse said:

Jessa would be throwing something at the nearest wall, shrieking "I AM THE STAR!!!!!!" 

Probably a dirty diaper from the piles we've seen in her house. 

• LOL 11
2 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

And THIS is why the two of them*, MacArthur, and everyone else who were too damned smug to respect Covid precautions can go straight to hell on a nonstop bus...

Los Angeles Disaster

* And their out of state visitors

it is freaking scary here.  the hospital that husband just came home from has made a 'ward' out of the cafeteria area with curtains and beds!  there is just nowhere to put people.  i wasn't 'scared' so much at the beginning but took it seriously. now i am downright scared.  i had two more friends from church test positive, one got admitted yesterday. 

3 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Why the headless picture? 🤣

It's probably their way of repurposing it? Because we've seen this picture before. So they're maybe making it new by chopping some of it off. 

Don't know when they originally posted it, although I think it may have been in early 2020. And then their heads and feet were both in the picture.

I seem to remember that they captioned it with something about a relaxing weekend morning together, or something like that. And there was some commenting about whether sitting on the kitchen floor is a typical thing you do when you want to enjoy a cozy relaxed time with your partner. Don't know if it was the start of the pandemic or what. 

• Love 6
9 minutes ago, Temperance said:

They look like two women to me somehow. 

Does to me, too. And I can't figure out why. Does his right hand look maybe smaller, paler and more, I don't know, gracefully placed or something?  I know my eye is sort of drawn to that hand and wrist when I look toward him in the picture.....

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 6
14 hours ago, Temperance said:

It’s the moobs. RFP’s shirt is wrinkling so that it emphasizes them.

And they’ve posted headless shots before. Someone...maybe their photographer, maybe them...thinks this is ART.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 3
  • Love 2
15 hours ago, Temperance said:

23 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

It’s the moobs. RFP’s shirt is wrinkling so that it emphasizes them.

And they’ve posted headless shots before. Someone...maybe their photographer, maybe them...thinks this is ART.

I don’t think Jeremy has fatty tissue around his pecs, but the way the shirt is wrinkling DOES look like the chest of a small busted woman. Combined with the hand posing that looks graceful, I can see how it looks like two women. 

• Love 4