Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

11 minutes ago, Zella said:

And as someone who has worked as an editor, I would rather be shot than have to deal with Jeremy as a writer. I bet he is a fucking nightmare. 

"I don't think you understand the deep nuance I am trying to impart to my work." 

Or as another nightmare once told me, "If Faulkner can write without commas, why can't I?" 

I can picture Jer sitting there with his instagram pics, showing his exact staged pose while he was thinking said thought....

• LOL 18
3 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I know some about publishing, but I do not know what triggers the publisher hiring a ghostwriter.  Ghostwriters cut into the profit for the publisher.  Celebrity memoirs tend to have a writing advisor instead of a fulltime ghostwriter for this reason.  The advisor is not a ghostwriter but someone to help Jeremy and Jinger take their story and make it into a compelling narrative.  Nudging them along in a way to make an actual book, maybe give them questions to help lead them, but the actual meat of the story is coming from Jeremy and Jinger.  I personally don't view this as the book being ghostwritten.  To me, a ghostwriter is someone who literally writes the whole book and the real writer just gives them the basic research.  The publisher doesn't really care about the quality of the writing for this book or if the central thesis makes any sense.  They care that a decent amount of Jinger's 1.3 million followers buy the book.  

I know several full-time professional ghostwriters, and I've ghostwritten articles, op-eds, "contributed" book chapters and essays, forewords-and-introductions-supposedly-written-by-famous-people etc., myself. So, while this may just be the professional pride of the writers, at least the people I know who do what you're describing for celebrity books call themselves ghostwriters!

The celebs and the publishers may often call them "writing advisors" for the purpose of the celebs' egos, of course. But the writing advisors know the amount of the load they're carrying, and in private most are probably going to call themselves ghostwriters. (They don't say it publicly because they sign contracts! )

And in my experience, and based on what I've heard from others, the "supplying the material" part is something that many celebrities think they can do. But many aren't just mediocre sentence constructors. They don't know what they should put in a book.

So of course if a life story is being told,  then the  celeb does supply the material -- but they most often do it less through writing themselves than through many many hours of interviewing in which the writing advisor (ghostwriter!) prompts them with questions to actually draw out the material that'll make a decent book.

I can't believe that isn't true of Jer and Jingle! (at least if the publisher isn't just going with the assumption that nobody will care what's in the book -- in which case, yeah, there may be just be an editor, and what comes out will just be the blatherings of Jeremy)

So I was including the whole range of these possibilities in what I was describing as ghostwriting, from light ("writing advisor'-type) ghostwriting to heavy ghostwriting, shall we say. Hard to say which possibility it is ... Depends on how much the publishers believe that readers will actually care whether it's a decent book or not. And in this case, it's very possible that they don't care a bit. Jinger fans will buy regardless and nobody else will even be tempted. period. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Useful 9
  • Love 2
6 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

I know several full-time professional ghostwriters, and I've ghostwritten articles, op-eds, forewords-and-introductions-supposedly-written-by-famous-people etc., myself. So, while this may just be the professional pride of the writers, at least the people I know who do what you're describing for celebrity books call themselves ghostwriters!

The celebs and the publishers may often call them "writing advisors" for the purpose of the celebs' egos, of course! But the writing advisors know the amount of the load they're carrying, and in private most are probably going to call themselves ghostwriters. (They don't say it publicly because they sign contracts! )

And in my experience, and based on what I've heard from others, the "supplying the material" part is something that many celebrities think they can do. But many aren't just mediocre sentence constructors. They don't know what they should put in a book.

So of course if a life story is being told,  then the  celeb does supply the material -- but they most often do it less through writing themselves than through many many hours of interviewing in which the writing advisor (ghostwriter!) prompts them with questions to actually draw out the material that'll make a decent book.

I can't believe that isn't true of Jer and Jingle! (at least if the publisher isn't just going with the assumption that nobody will care what's in the book -- in which case, yeah, there may be just be an editor, and what comes out will just be the blatherings of Jeremy)

So I was including the whole range of these possibilities in what I was describing as ghostwriting, from light ("writing advisor'-type) ghostwriting to heavy ghostwriting, shall we say. Hard to say which possibility it is ... Depends on how much the publisher believe that readers will actually care whether it's a decent book or not. And in this case, it's very possible that they don't. Fans will buy and nobody else will even be tempted. period. 

Thanks for sharing.  From my end of the publishing process, we are also loathe to call many books ghostwritten.  The celebrity memoir and the rest of the celebrity books published, we always catalog and classify them as the published author.  With the obvious caveat that the definition of memoir means the books may not be 100% verifiably truthful.  If the book was actually written by a ghostwriter instead of the celebrity who's name is attached, well caveat emptor.  Jeremy and Jinger's book will most likely be classified as a religious book hanging out in the Dewey 240s.  Another section of non-fiction books which are anything but.  

My interpretation of ghostwriting is more commonly found in fiction.  Where V.C. Andrews is still publishing new books 35 years after she died.  And Ann M. Martin and Francine Pascal used to reign supreme.  Now we have James Patterson who is at least giving the actual writer second billing on all of his books.  And while she denies it, there is no way that Danielle Steel is popping out 6 books a year at her age.  

• Useful 6
  • Love 11
12 minutes ago, Churchhoney said:

Well, he apparently writes timed fill-in-the-blank exams with his fancy pens. So....yeah. 

So his book could be along the lines of Mad Libs filled in and given to the “writing advisor”. I don’t know why all of this has me laughing, but I guess I needed to. 

• LOL 18
  • Love 1

I'm kind of amazed RFP isn't bigger than he is. He doesn't seem to work out, he's constantly posting pictures of heavy food, and he's in his 30s now. That is not a good combo for staying svelte. 

• Love 19
6 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Why is RFP posting photos of some guy being fitted for a suit? 

Because he looooooooves him?

Sorry if I sound flippant. I understand there are all kinds of gay and straight people, and you can't pigeonholle an individual based on one behavior. But I'll say this: Jerm sure seems to appreciate the male form and visage. 

(Also it's great to be gay ... unless you're  hurting an unsuspecting hetero spouse or, you know, aligning yourself with a hateful anti-gay church and seminary.)

• Love 22
7 hours ago, Oldernowiser said:

Why is RFP posting photos of some guy being fitted for a suit? I see the Airmax logo but I would assume that would apply to shoes?

It’s all quite...random?

Those pictures were screenshots of a video. Included in the video was what I assume to be the purpose:

767B30C9-8FA5-4D96-8A6F-AAE5B8D81CB6.jpeg

• Useful 5
15 hours ago, emma675 said:

I'm kind of amazed RFP isn't bigger than he is. He doesn't seem to work out, he's constantly posting pictures of heavy food, and he's in his 30s now. That is not a good combo for staying svelte. 

Would bulimia surprise anyone?

• Useful 2
16 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Would bulimia surprise anyone?

Not necessarily, but that often leads to tell-tale signs of its own, which he also doesn't seem to have. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2

We don’t know if he eats any of the free food he is advertising. He might eat all of it or none at all. 

And they do have a treadmill. Jer might be using it.

Jer having a wet dream over sneakers is hilarious. They are just shoes.

• LOL 6
  • Love 1

I think an eating disorder is very unfair. We never see how much of the food he eats, we don’t truly know how much he exercises, nor what his diet is like a non-Instagram days. I would imagine he is decently active and understands fitness being a former athlete. However, if he is still relatively thin at 45 I will be amazed.

• Love 15
On 1/15/2021 at 6:05 PM, BigBingerBro said:

r39vt15prkb61.jpg?width=1062&format=pjpg

c89ovpeprkb61.jpg?width=1080&format=pjpg

c89ovpeprkb61.jpg?width=1080&format=pjpg

Let me see if I’ve got this right...

Jeremy is hanging with friends, trying on clothes and dining out.  Meanwhile, Jinger is at home with a newborn and a todder.  Is that right?

• LOL 2
  • Love 12

I'm starting to get the idea that neither Jeremy nor Jinger can cook, and the fake gourmet pics is how Jeremy spins it to feel cool.  

Edited by Zella
  • Love 13
1 minute ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Well, he admits that he's never made a cake before this feeble attempt.

I saw that, but from how awkward he looks, he doesn't look like he even knows how to make a cup of cocoa on his own, let alone any baking. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 9
  • Love 4
56 minutes ago, farmgal4 said:

Let me see if I’ve got this right...

Jeremy is hanging with friends, trying on clothes and dining out.  Meanwhile, Jinger is at home with a newborn and a todder.  Is that right?

Or Jing is taking the pics 

• Love 4
11 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

Or Jing is taking the pics 

I'm not sure that's any better of a dynamic. "Hey, hon, do you want to stay home and fight with the kids by yourself or do you want to dump them on someone else and take pictures of me having some me time with my pals, all during a pandemic? Or you could tag along, take pictures, and wrestle with the kids while I hang out with my friends. Won't that be fun!?" He's a real charmer, that Jeremy. 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 12
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, farmgal4 said:

But he baked her a cake. Did he bake the cake for Jinger or is it damage control for the usual Jeremy is a douche canoe posts? I did not want to actually watch it.

I was hoping taking a break with their podcast would limit their other social media posts.

• Love 5
4 minutes ago, Misslindsey said:

But he baked her a cake. Did he bake the cake for Jinger or is it damage control for the usual Jeremy is a douche canoe posts? I did not want to actually watch it.

I was hoping taking a break with their podcast would limit their other social media posts.

Also, if she had to stand there and film him while he baked the shitty cake for her, it's not exactly one of those relaxing my-husband-is-doing-something-thoughtful-for-me moments wherein she can go have a little me time of her own. 

• Useful 2
  • Love 14
7 minutes ago, Zella said:

Also, if she had to stand there and film him while he baked the shitty cake for her, it's not exactly one of those relaxing my-husband-is-doing-something-thoughtful-for-me moments wherein she can go have a little me time of her own. 

Well, lord knows what would have happened if she left him to his own devices. No rest for poor Jinge.

• Love 3
5 hours ago, Zella said:

I'm starting to get the idea that neither Jeremy nor Jinger can cook, and the fake gourmet pics as how Jeremy spins it to feel cool.  

He's such a dumb ass... The directions said to preheat the oven to 180C or 350F

He looks at it, sees 180 so he preheated to 180F and sat his cake in the oven, he comes back in 30+ minutes when it should be ready and instead of a cake it's just a big pan of hot pudding... So he looks at the instruction again and notices his mistake, cranks the oven to 350F and waits another 30+ minutes while it cooks.

What a moron 🙄

• LOL 11
  • Love 8

Don't forget, we don't even know when these pictures were taken. We know the one with his buddy was taken during the last year, but not when. And the cake one. Why a cake and why now? That could have been last month for Jinger's birthday or in the summer when Lissy had a birthday. In one shot, Jer looks over and laughs at someone who is not filming him. He also tagged Gabby. Didn't they visit Jing and Jer a couple of months ago?

Edited by GeeGolly
  • Useful 1
  • Love 7

Even someone who 'isn't a cook' has general knowledge that a cake isn't baked at 180deg F . How clueless and inept can Jeremy be? I guess as clueless as Jessa was when she tried to bake something and also set the oven to 180deg F and wondered why her dish wasn't cooked also? These people are really helpless with many life skills although they claim to be so 'highly trained' in them.

• Love 23
8 hours ago, Zella said:

He probably called her in when he was finished to clean the kitchen mess and floor (from the butter). That’s woman’s work. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 3
3 minutes ago, BigBingerBro said:

Maybe it's because I've been cooking and baking since I was a kid, but I hate this "goofy bumbling idiot trying to cook" trope.  It's not rocket science. 

It also makes me really curious about how people who do that ate in years when they lived without a mom or partner-who-cooks. I mean, I know how the ones I'm acquainted with do/did it -- restaurants, takeout, delivery, lather, rinse,  repeat.

But damn, that's expensive to do for every meal.  Why not just learn to cook some stuff. Because, as you say, it's not rocket science. 

Edited by Churchhoney
  • Love 9

“Pray for me”. Really with the state of the world this so-called man of God requests prayers for his cake.  And the kewl music.  But what really got me was the pristine state of the oven and stovetop.  Jinger must be a whiz at cleaning or...

Edited by sheshark
Autocorrect does not recognize break-out Star Jinger.
  • LOL 13
  • Love 7
1 minute ago, Churchhoney said:

It also makes me really curious about how people who do that ate in years when they lived without a mom or partner-who-cooks. I mean, I know how the ones I'm acquainted with do/did it -- restaurants, takeout, delivery, lather, rinse,  repeat.

But damn, that's expensive to do for every meal.  Why not just learn to cook some stuff. Because, as you say, it's not rocket science. 

One of my kids, who is both a little lazy and ADHD, did what I would call a lot of nibbling, in his early/mid twenties. He knows how to cook well enough, but he would often times, not make a real meal. He would eat things like tuna with crackers or frozen cheese broccoli, as a meal. It was a combination of lack of money, lack of interest and too many steps for his executive dysfunction.

He is able to follow a recipe with multiple steps if he chooses too, but he really needs to want to.

But I think Jeremy is doing the standard let-me-fail-before-I-fail routine. He wants to act like he doesn't know what he's doing just in case the result fails.

• Useful 3
  • Love 15
30 minutes ago, crazy8s said:

of course Jer's first attempt at making a cake is a mix that costs $25

https://www.thecakerusa.com/cake-kits-collection/chocolate-gold

How pretentious!!!  He could have found a good recipe online and I guarantee that to buy the ingredients would have been less than that.  I guess the cake mix was something he was promoting?  I'm not sure if it reflects well on you as an "influencer" to bake the cake at the wrong temperature. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 8
12 minutes ago, skipnjump said:

How pretentious!!!  He could have found a good recipe online and I guarantee that to buy the ingredients would have been less than that.  I guess the cake mix was something he was promoting?  I'm not sure if it reflects well on you as an "influencer" to bake the cake at the wrong temperature. 

also hilarious - pretty much every review of the cake mix is something like "super easy to make", "easy to follow directions", "I am not a baker, and still this turned out beautiful" ....

• LOL 19
  • Love 1