Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Now HE is also leaving his Gs off words? 😆😆😆

He is probably doing it in hopes that Jinger will follow suit and stop pronouncing words ending in Gs in that weird Duggar way. Seriously, why do they do that? 

• LOL 1
8 minutes ago, auntieminem said:

He is probably doing it in hopes that Jinger will follow suit and stop pronouncing words ending in Gs in that weird Duggar way. Seriously, why do they do that? 

How do they pronounce them?

Edited by Zella
17 minutes ago, Zella said:

How do they pronounce them?

with a hard g sound: for example, youn-GUH. Or like a "k" sound sometimes: younk

my mother from the deep south did that sometimes too, so I figured it's a southern thing?

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
7 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

with a hard g sound: for example, youn-GUH. Or like a "k" sound sometimes: younk

my mother from the deep south did that sometimes too, so I figured it's a southern thing?

Hmm I'll have to pay attention that. I've heard preachers do that first way for emphasis when they're really firing and brimstoning. Will have to pay attention to it to see if I hear other people doing it. I can already tell this is going to become my next dialect fixation. 

After a discussion on another forum on here several months ago, I've become fixated on detecting whether or not people pronounce "wh" as "hw." Survey says a friend of mine (from Arkansas), my grandparents (from North Carolina), and Warren Oates (from Kentucky) do. 🤣

Edited by Zella
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, Zella said:

After a discussion on another forum on here several months ago, I've become fixated on detecting whether or not people pronounce "wh" as "hw." Survey says a friend of mine (from Arkansas), my grandparents (from North Carolina), and Warren Oates (from Kentucky) do. 🤣

I was taught that in school as part of a spelling lesson which used 'witch' and 'which' to show the difference in pronunciation. I could never say the 'hw' sound for which so to me they both sound the same. Kind of like Mary & merry sound the same to me. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Nysha said:

I was taught that in school as part of a spelling lesson which used 'witch' and 'which' to show the difference in pronunciation. I could never say the 'hw' sound for which so to me they both sound the same. Kind of like Mary & merry sound the same to me. 

I say them the same too but I can see the reasoning behind pronouncing them differently. I've also heard the distinction preserved in some Irish accents. 

Edited by Zella
2 hours ago, rue721 said:

Well now I've taken way too close a look at that weird stalker picture and it looks like there are TWO people standing behind Jeremy? There are two feet standing behind anyway, and from where they're planted on the ground they don't look like they belong to only one person. But who knows. I kind of hope that Jeremy took Felicity into the restaurant and Jinger took the picture from the car, because it's such a creepily voyeuristic photo, you hate to think of a stranger taking it...but at the same time, why didn't he leave Felicity in the car then, too? LOL this is like a Rorschach test of an Insta.

Felicity is 2 which means she's got strong opinions on things and voices them loudly and often.  If she wanted to go into the store with Daddy, then she would've raised a ruckus if he didn't take her.  If Jinger was in the car with a sleeping baby, I can see how they might've taken the path of least resistance.  We've been speculating that maybe the baby is colicky.  Perhaps driving around is one way to get her to sleep and that's why they were all in the car in the first place.

• Useful 6
  • Love 11
45 minutes ago, OpieTaylor said:

I've noticed on Sister Wives that the polygamists featured do that same thingk.  

30 minutes ago, MargeGunderson said:

I don’t think it’s just a southern thing, as the women on Sister Wives do it too - singing becomes singin-k for example. 

I didn't read your comment before I posted.  Is it a cult thingk, or a homeschooling thingk?  I don't know...

• LOL 3
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, OpieTaylor said:

They add to the sound at the end of words like thing.  Thing does end with a hard g sound.  Soft g is the j sound.  But they add extra sound at the end of the word making it more of a gk combination.  Some members of the Brown family on Sister Wives do the same thing.

Oops we said the same thing.

1 hour ago, Zella said:

We had to do speech therapy to correct that with one of our kids.

Edited by Absolom
  • Useful 3
5 hours ago, rue721 said:

Well now I've taken way too close a look at that weird stalker picture and it looks like there are TWO people standing behind Jeremy? There are two feet standing behind anyway, and from where they're planted on the ground they don't look like they belong to only one person. But who knows. I kind of hope that Jeremy took Felicity into the restaurant and Jinger took the picture from the car, because it's such a creepily voyeuristic photo, you hate to think of a stranger taking it...but at the same time, why didn't he leave Felicity in the car then, too? LOL this is like a Rorschach test of an Insta.

I know .. it’s not like he seems taking the least interest in Felicity. Standing solidly staring straight ahead 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Absolom said:

They add to the sound at the end of words like thing.  Thing does end with a hard g sound.  Soft g is the j sound.  But they add extra sound at the end of the word making it more of a gk combination.  Some members of the Brown family on Sister Wives do the same thing.

Oops we said the same thing.

We had to do speech therapy to correct that with one of our kids.

"Thing" doesn't end with the hard g sound that you hear in "dog." It ends with an -ng sound, which is, well, its own thing.

I was taught the "hw" pronunciation of wh- words growing up in Southeast Missouri and use it reflexively. My kids seem to think it's old-fashioned, but it's still listed as a standard pronunciation in dictionaries. Here's the listing I just found for "where": /(h)wer/.

• Useful 2
  • Love 4
13 minutes ago, Portia said:

"Thing" doesn't end with the hard g sound that you hear in "dog." It ends with an -ng sound, which is, well, its own thing.

The reason I used thing as an example is because that's one of the words that they particularly are prone to mispronounce by adding a k sound.  

• Love 4
1 hour ago, emmawoodhouse said:

Joy is a chief offender of the gk thingk. At least with her it's especially pronounced.

Thanks for pointing this out, now that is all I hear when Joy speaks 🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️🤦🏽‍♀️

• LOL 6

Thanks to you guys, I've spent the evening debating whether or not I want to lose brain cells listening to Joy talk to play linguistic detective and saying the word "thing" over and over again to see if I do the k thing at the end. (I don't?) 

Edited by Zella
  • LOL 15
33 minutes ago, Zella said:

Thanks to you guys, I've spent the evening debating whether or not I want to lose brain cells listening to Joy talk to play linguistic detective and saying the word "thing" over and over again to see if I do the k thing at the end. (I don't?) 

Honey, no. Just no. In your later years you will be so grateful you didn’t waste those precious brain cells when you could be wasting them on, oh, if you’re like me, the lyrics of terrible 80s sitcoms or worse, 60s cartoons. I’ve had the lyrics of “Felix the Cat” in my head for three days and am considering DIY surgical intervention.

Save your self!

• LOL 22
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, Zella said:

Lol my NY accent is BAD 

• LOL 8
50 minutes ago, Oldernowiser said:

Honey, no. Just no. In your later years you will be so grateful you didn’t waste those precious brain cells when you could be wasting them on, oh, if you’re like me, the lyrics of terrible 80s sitcoms or worse, 60s cartoons. I’ve had the lyrics of “Felix the Cat” in my head for three days and am considering DIY surgical intervention.

Save your self!

I resisted! I'm still wasting precious brain cells obsessing over the word think. LOL

• LOL 7
42 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

On a positive note, Jinger looked great in her video.

On a negative, TikTok is savage. She won't last a month unless she disables her comments.

I agree, I don't think it's a good fit for a Duggar.

I can't wait to see her videos. 😂

• LOL 6
  • Love 4
22 minutes ago, iwantcookies said:

I bet tik tok will be all about Jer eating and drinking 

What isn’t?

As you all know, I am a dark and cynical soul. Also I know diddly about TikTok and I’m okay with that, but are we convinced whatever that Tik or Tok is wasn’t filmed six months ago? You know how they love to pretend that time doesn’t exist and put stuff out there from a year ago like it’s brand new. Many people might call that a tad...disingenuous. Personally, I call it the closest you can get to actually lying without actually lying.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I get the impression they've finally realized everyone thought the pictures they were posting made Jinger seem absolutely miserable, so their response is to disprove this with more pictures where she looks dead-eyed and exhausted but is smiling a bit more? 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 9
  • Love 11
9 hours ago, DangerousMinds said:

Ugh.

130675E3-82D0-4C10-8242-E48AF1F03388.jpeg

Did Jeremy ask this guy if he could splash his face all over social media? Or does Jeremy just do what ever he wants. 

Edited by FizzyPuff
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8