Type keyword(s) to search

The Duggalos: Jinger and the Holy Goalie

Message added by cm-soupsipper,

Closure Notice: This Thread is now closed due to the name (and much of the posting within it). Please be mindful going forward by naming topics in a way that invites a healthy community conversation. If you name something for a cheap laugh, this thread may be closed later because it encourages discrimination and harm. 

• Start Topic

3 hours ago, bigskygirl said:

I see your point of view, but if I had to choose between Jinger and Kate, I would take Kate every time. A young lady can better their own lives and the lives of others without daddy finding a man for her or by marrying into royalty. Sad in some circles a woman is not considered something without getting married and having kids right and left or marrying a certain type of guy.

I would pick Kate, too.  She may not have many independent thoughts, but those she has aren't generic bible platitudes. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but what has Kate Middleton done that makes her a role model? She seems like a nice enough woman and a good mom, at least as far as I can tell from People magazine interviews, but all she really *did* was land Prince William and therefore a clothing budget that allows her to dress more classily than any average woman. I would prefer my daughter look up to accomplished women who have done more than marry well rather than to either Jinger or Kate. 

Agreed. Apparently she is lauded for her efforts for mental health (charities? Awareness? Both?) but I think all the royals have their causes which are probably not so difficult to promote since they're famous just for being in that family and attract attention wherever they go. Having an entourage of helpers probably helps too. Even I might look stylish if I had a team of stylists.

• Love 3
Just now, Loves2Dance said:

Kate graduated from a well regarded college---in my eyes, that at least counts for something. 

I feel like people are misinterpreting what I said in my OP. I didn’t say Kate was a useless human being with nothing to recommend her, or that she is in any way inferior to Jinger. My point was that she’s only well-known because she married a prince who could give her an easy, stylish life with few responsibilities. She didn’t attain fame because she invented something that helped millions of people or excelled in her profession or for any reason having to do with her own accomplishments.

As to whether graduating from a well-regarded college makes you admirable, we will have to agree to disagree. I know a lot of women who didn’t go to college due to financial or personal circumstances, and I consider them extremely admirable. YMMV. 

• Love 8
2 hours ago, mynextmistake said:

I feel like people are misinterpreting what I said in my OP. I didn’t say Kate was a useless human being with nothing to recommend her, or that she is in any way inferior to Jinger. My point was that she’s only well-known because she married a prince who could give her an easy, stylish life with few responsibilities. She didn’t attain fame because she invented something that helped millions of people or excelled in her profession or for any reason having to do with her own accomplishments.

As to whether graduating from a well-regarded college makes you admirable, we will have to agree to disagree. I know a lot of women who didn’t go to college due to financial or personal circumstances, and I consider them extremely admirable. YMMV. 

College is still a lot of work.   Getting through college shows some ambition, intelligence, and talent. Certainly there are many admirable people who didn't go to college. Queen Elizabeth, herself didn't go. 

I agree with you on most of this.  Especially when people praise her style. She has a team of people, a large budget, and that is part of being a princess. 

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Temperance said:

College is still a lot of work.   Getting through college shows some ambition, intelligence, and talent. Certainly there are many admirable people who didn't go to college. Queen Elizabeth, herself didn't go. 

I agree with you on most of this.  Especially when people praise her style. She has a team of people, a large budget, and that is part of being a princess. 

That was more stupidity on her parents' part Elizabeth's parents did very little to prepare her for her future role despite themselves being unprepared when Edward abdicated.  Queen Beatrix and Queen Margrethe did receive a better education then she did.    

• Love 5
Just now, andromeda331 said:

That was more stupidity on her parents' part Elizabeth's parents did very little to prepare her for her future role despite themselves being unprepared when Edward abdicated.  Queen Beatrix and Queen Margrethe did receive a better education then she did.    

Elizabeth became queen in 1952, Beatrix in 1980, Margrethe in 1972. It's apples and oranges, really. Not to mention both the Netherlands and Denmark are generally considered more advanced in terms of equality than the United Kingdom is. 

Back on topic: Is there an over/under on baby Vuolo's name? Will it be a J name? Something trendy, cutesy, stupid? (Duggar examples: Mason, Mackynzie, Spurgeon.) 

• Love 5
1 hour ago, Heathen said:

Back on topic: Is there an over/under on baby Vuolo's name? Will it be a J name? Something trendy, cutesy, stupid? (Duggar examples: Mason, Mackynzie, Spurgeon.) 

I can see Jinger wanting something artsy and edgy, while Jeremy will lean towards pretentious.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, LexieLily said:

It is kind of interesting (well, not really, but it's notable) that no Duggar has done the letter theme except first-to-breed Anna.

I could see Jeremy doing J names and Kendra doing some sort of letter-theme names. I don't think Joy will stick with Gs, but it could happen. 

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Heathen said:

I vote that they go in the way of Jinger aka Ginger and go for spices/plants/herbs, etc - so Rosemary or Lavender for a girl, Basil or Hawthorne for a boy

• Love 6

I predict a classic name for 3 reasons: 1) It fits the intellectual image Jeremy wants to project; 2) Jinger has spent her while life with a weird name and she probably won’t want to do that to her kids; 3) I’ve been suspecting for awhile that Jinger has a thing for imitating the Duchess of Cambridge.

• Love 9
10 hours ago, Bayarea4 said:

I vote Oliver if it's a boy and Elizabeth if it's a girl.

3 hours ago, Abstract said:

I predict a classic name for 3 reasons: 1) It fits the intellectual image Jeremy wants to project; 2) Jinger has spent her while life with a weird name and she probably won’t want to do that to her kids; 3) I’ve been suspecting for awhile that Jinger has a thing for imitating the Duchess of Cambridge.

I say Charlotte or Isabella.

• Love 2
On 3/27/2018 at 8:39 PM, lascuba said:

The comparisons to Kate are so funny to me, because I suspect that Kate isn't a fan of the type of wardrobe she has to where as a royal. Don't get me wrong...she dresses incredibly well, but it's all kind of boring. She dresses like an incredibly stylish, young-in-spirit 60. 

You think? I don’t think so. I mean we see her when she is “at work”, most 30 something women in corporate America dress that way “at work”.....now out to target or on vacation or dates is a different story but I don’t think her work wardrobe is boring at all. She isn’t afraid of prints or colors (I personally LOVE colors), and has lots of cute shoes. 

• Love 13

Isn’t Jeremy’s Family Italian?  I’m going to guess Gianna for a girl. (Maybe spelled Jianna.). 

Eta:  I’ll stick with Jeremy Jr for a boy. 

Edited by EVS
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, doodlebug said:

Believe me, people do it.  It seems particularly popular amongst teen/young adult mothers who invite all their girlfriends and family along.  Most of these young ladies don't bother taking a childbirth class and think they won't be in pain 'because I have a high pain tolerance' (anyone who says this, almost by definition, is going to have a really poor pain threshold).  Or, they think they'll get an epidural the minute they walk in the door and won't feel anything.  They call everyone on the way to the hospital and they all congregate in triage getting in the way and thinking the staff is there to provide their visitors with food and drink and internet access.  Then, once she gets admitted, the whole gang stands there staring at her like they're waiting for a chicken to hatch, usually while munching on junk food, watching reality TV and playing with their cell phones.  Finally, they all are in the room for the birth and the nurses, docs and midwives are stumbling over them as they all feel that their view of the proceedings is the only thing that matters.  Afterwards, the herd clears out and the room looks like Woodstock: the day after. I've had as many as a dozen onlookers at deliveries and it was ridiculously overcrowded.

With both of my babies (in the past 3.5 years), I gave birth in what the hospitals called "birthing suites" that could hold several people.  I'm not Marie Antoinette and I wasn't about to do a "laying-in" with an army of spectators. Also, my husband is a RN. No way would he have let me crowd the medical professionals there by letting eleventy friends and family members watch the birth, even if I had wanted more people there (I didn't).  We told our family members & friends they could wait in the waiting room and see the baby after we'd spent a little time with him/her after the birth.  It was just me and hubby in the birthing room once I was in active labor and until after baby was born.

I DO NOT UNDERSTAND wanting so many people around while you're going through the most uncomfortable, painful, and quite frankly - disgusting, as far as body fluids, etc - thing that can happen to a woman while conscious.  I mean, if you aren't there to help, get out of the way.  A laboring woman doesn't need that many non-medical professionals there to emotionally support her. Different strokes, and all....but it seems like at a minimum it could be distracting to the medical team that is doing everything they can to provide proper medical care to mom & baby to have so many people around. 

However, with the Duggars, I'd say that having a hospital birth or going to a birth center with a CNM even with eleventy people in the room crowding the doctors/nurses/nurse midwife would be a huge step up from "midwife" Jill.   So even if Jinger gives birth at a hospital/birthing center with all her eleventy sisters, mom, MIL, Famy, and a couple of random church ladies at her side, I'll still be happy (but I'll feel for the staff for having to deal with all of them). 

Edited by MyPeopleAreNordic
  • Love 22
16 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

Jinger barely looks pregnant. Interesting how she seems to be carrying smaller while Jessa, Jill and Joy carried huge and stuck out on front.

I suspect Jinger eats healthier than her sisters. Plus, she and Jeremy strike me as a couple that likes to take evening walks. They’ve always looked healthier than the rest. 

• Love 21

I ate healthily and exercised and worked until the day I gave birth ... I was just huge and nothing was going to make a difference 

I hated being pregnant ...there was no glowing for me 

• Love 10

I think she's more conscientious about weight gain and about her appearance in general. There's no reason for her to have gained 20 lbs if her fetus is the size of a papaya. 

• Love 4

Jinger looks smaller and happy in her pregnancy.   She does seem to be pushing her belly out for the "baby is this big" pictures.  

As far as people in the delivery room, I had a friend tell me, "it was just me and (husband) when I got pregnant, so I think it should just be the two of us when I'm pushing the kid out."  Both mothers were upset, but when she put it that way, they were more understanding.  

• Love 14
3 hours ago, Scarlett45 said:

You think? I don’t think so. I mean we see her when she is “at work”, most 30 something women in corporate America dress that way “at work”.....now out to target or on vacation or dates is a different story but I don’t think her work wardrobe is boring at all. She isn’t afraid of prints or colors (I personally LOVE colors), and has lots of cute shoes. 

I mean, she once modeled underwear on a runway. I'm not saying she wants to dress like a Kardashian, but I really doubt she'd be dressing as conservatively as she does if it were entirely her choice. She picks great outfits that fall within the strict parameters of what's acceptable for a royal, but--and I don't seek out pictures of her so my perception of her clothes are limited--I haven't seen her in anything that I think she would have picked out if she didn't have to follow those rules. 

Your point about her being "at work" is a good one.  And while I pick out work clothes that I really like, I completely ignore that side of my closet when not dressing for work. 

• Love 6

She'd probably be showing more if we saw her from the side in this photo. She's also wearing a looser shirt. Either way, she does look much, much better than her sisters. LOL  @Westiepeach saying Joy probably showed the morning after. 

Also, Jinger jeans. Suck it, fundies. 

• Love 10
43 minutes ago, lascuba said:

I mean, she once modeled underwear on a runway. I'm not saying she wants to dress like a Kardashian, but I really doubt she'd be dressing as conservatively as she does if it were entirely her choice. She picks great outfits that fall within the strict parameters of what's acceptable for a royal, but--and I don't seek out pictures of her so my perception of her clothes are limited--I haven't seen her in anything that I think she would have picked out if she didn't have to follow those rules. 

Your point about her being "at work" is a good one.  And while I pick out work clothes that I really like, I completely ignore that side of my closet when not dressing for work. 

She was also in college (now she’s in her mid 30s)- and it was a runway not a trip to the grocery store (or to class).  

I admit I’m naturally a more conservative dresser anyway- not as a moral judgment just a style preference (I’m all for adult women wearing what they please and rocking it), so my perception of what’s “conservative” may be more to the right of the average woman in my demographic. 

I think Jinger and Kate both look super cute while pregnant. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with pregnant women wearing form fitting things but the other Duggars scream “modesty” so much it’s hypocritical. If tight tops aren’t okay non pregnant why are they okay while pregnant?!! Especially since most women’s breasts grow during pregnancy. 

• Love 10

I checked the map and Waco is right on the way home from Fayetteville. That explains why they are at Magnolia so damn much. I bet this photo was from their last trip to the compound. 

• Love 2
On 3/26/2018 at 2:58 PM, asuwur said:

How often do we see a Duggar with a look similar to the Duchess of Cambridge? 

Screenshot_20180326-175601.jpg

My EXACT thought before I scrolled down to your brilliant post!

I just wish these girls would cut their hair as short as Kate's! (In all honesty, I'd love to see Kate chop a few inches off herself, but her hair is still better than the J Girls.)

Let's not forget that Kate was all set to attend university in Edinburgh, but when her mom found out that William was off to St. Andrew's, Kate applied to go to school there. 

Re: the DoC's wardrobe

I freely admit to being a CopyKate, own several things she's worn and have a girl crush on her. She's definitely taught our generation how to dress like a lady! My favorite outfits that she's worn stand out in my mind, but I also admit there are some things she wears that I think are beyond hideous. (That dress at her sister's wedding! YUCK!)  She's a regular hit or miss with me when it comes to her wardrobe choices as she gets older. She wears too many pieces of blue clothing (petty, I know) and her hair is always down...when she's not brushing it out of her face ten thousand times a minute (I can't stand THAT), so we can't see her earrings.

I'm the first to say she looks great in dark green, but that light spring-neon green dress she wore at an engagement just before she wore this pants/jacket outfit was beyond fugly. She could've easily recycled another maternity dress instead of having another bespoke piece created for her, especially if they're stopping at three kids. If she really wanted to wear light green, she's got a tweed mint green coat jacket that she wore while pregnant with George.

I do love those burgundy Tod's pumps she owns (that have been out of stock since she wore them in Canada) though!  She's also introduced many of us to the amazing store that is Zara! 

Side note: I wandered down the rabbit hole of Pinterest one day and found Alyssa Bates Webster's page. She's got one devoted entirely to the DoC! Maybe there's some super secret VIP fundie group of DoC fans that we don't know about? Alyssa didn't choose "Cambridge-ish"/timeless names (in my opinion) for her girls (and I'm no fan of George's name), so the DoC must simply be a fashion inspiration.

Edited by Bridget
  • Love 3
On ‎3‎/‎28‎/‎2018 at 1:17 AM, asuwur said:

It is nice she looks put together and more polished than her sisters.  

Clearly, Jinger is shopping at high end stores/boutiques while her sisters are still perusing the racks at the local Goodwill.  

• Love 10
10 hours ago, MyPeopleAreNordic said:

I say Charlotte or Isabella.

I have a feeling it's a girl, which is why I can't agree with you more.

Charlotte would be DoC inspired and Isabella would be the Italian component. 

Charlotte Isabella Vuolo could be the baby's actual name and I wouldn't hate it.

• Love 7
9 hours ago, EVS said:

Isn’t Jeremy’s Family Italian?  I’m going to guess Gianna for a girl. (Maybe spelled Jianna.). 

Eta:  I’ll stick with Jeremy Jr for a boy. 

Jeremy’s family is Italian but no one in his family has a traditional Italian first name. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Adeejay said:

Clearly, Jinger is shopping at high end stores/boutiques while her sisters are still perusing the racks at the local Goodwill.  

Hell, Walmart is high end compared to the stretched-out, worn-out, faded, probably pilled shit her sisters wear. 

• Love 10
2 hours ago, Spencer Hastings said:

Jeremy’s family is Italian but no one in his family has a traditional Italian first name. 

Jeremy only has one Italian grandparent. He just hit the lotto with the surname. Same thing with my husband, who is half Serbian but has a Sicilian last name. 

Edited by Sew Sumi
  • Love 3
On 3/29/2018 at 3:27 AM, Temperance said:

I could see Jeremy doing J names and Kendra doing some sort of letter-theme names. I don't think Joy will stick with Gs, but it could happen. 

I'm not so sure Joy realizes that her & all her sibling's names start with a "J".

I loved your posts @doodlebug.  When I worked at an OB gyn office, one of the doctors was telling us about one of her first time mom-to-be.   She came in with a 3 inch binder Birth Plan & expected the doctor to read & follow it to the T.  The doc told her she didn't have time to read it but would try to follow the patient's wants as much as they could.  The plan even included what type of blankets, bed linens  & gowns she wanted. I think she was also planning on a roomful of people to witness the birth. The doc ended their conversation by reminding mom-to-be that she (the doctor) was basically in charge of the birth & they would need to follow her direction including clearing the room out when necessary. 

I can't believe the young boyfriends of the mom-to-be's girlfriends would want to be anywhere near a birth.  My adult son stops me mid-sentence when I start talking anything childbirth.  It's hereditary, his dad is same way.

Your description of  the party like atmosphere in the waiting room can be said about a surgery waiting room as well.  When my dad had aneurysm surgery years ago, the surgeon requested only immediate family be there.  Like you said,  there were very big groups of people that looked like they were having a picnic rather than waiting for loved ones to come out of surgery.  I've seen same thing in ER waiting rooms as well.  When has the hospital become a party hang out?

Edited by Barb23
  • Love 6