Type keyword(s) to search

S11.E05: Week 4

• Start Topic

Wow, I must be the only person who thought this episode was a vast improvement over last week's!  I thought last week was THE WORST, and granted I've been drinking prosecco tonight, but I was engaged.

First off, the dates were WAY better than last week's.  A goofy rap battle, a dressed-up museum dinner, and an Aladdin performance are all right in line what I've come to expect from The Bachelorette.  I also found the guys much better this week and actually thought some of them were cute! 

I'm torn on the Nick thing.  I told my gf's that he must be MUCH better looking in person, b/c of all the guys that have ever been on this show I would never have pegged him as the one who would "get" 2 bachelorettes in a row.  He just seems so.. unremarkable.  I know he is an AE at Salesforce, and as someone who has been one at one of their competitors, I'm surprised he could take this much time off and that he wouldn't be worried about his professional reputation.  I guess maybe if he was in certain markets it could be an asset or at least not a deterrent?  I'm now so curious about him!  The romantic side of me kind of supports them though, because like Kaitlyn said, they will both be raked over the coals for this.  People are NOT going to like her keeping him around, and the fact that they both understand that and still want to move forward shows that they're following their hearts.  It reminds me of Jason and Molly - the whole country HATED them, but they stuck together and are still married to this day.  Although I do understand the guys' POV, it would suck if you've gone through all this crap and then find out she's bringing on someone else.

Anyways, I'll be tuning in next week (with more wine b/c it seems this season is much more enjoyable while drinking)!

• Love 6
(edited)
One guy even used the "Brokeback" description, which is offensive as a way to say someone is gay, but is also what the publicity for the show was saying.  That term was decided on by producers, How did the guys in the house know that it would be used to describe the relationship once it aired?   The only way is if it was didn't happen the way they're telling us, but that it was two guys agreeing to play those roles to get more TV time, and everyone knew they were playing "brokeback"  roles.

Time Magazine, of all places, reamed The Bachelorette out last week for the way they've presented this (they weren't the only ones, but when even an institution as stodgy as Time is calling you out, it might be time-- pardon the pun-- to pay attention).  At the end of the last episode and at the start of tonight's, as a gay man I was willing to hold my nose and say okay, at least they're getting past all this stupid crap quickly, but then it kept coming back, with things like the guy throwing "your boyfriend, your boyfriend" later at JJ in the rap contest.  The show just does not know how to handle referencing anything gay-- it's not "ha, ha" or "brokeback this or that" or "they're scheming villains (and, yeah, even though they're not really gay, the show isn't going out of its way to make that clear and keeps up all this wink, wink garbage)" or showing somebody hurling "your boyfriend" at another man as an insult and then not addressing it (or, then later tonight, one of the guys talking about how he'd-- ha ha-- get beat up back home if he got all theatrical like Cupcake; not bringing up the word gay specifically there, but that sentiment is going to ring pretty familiar to an awful lot of gay kids).  At this point in history, this show need to leave this subject to the adults.  By the end of the episode, I've come to agree with Time.  The show needs to knock it off, right now.

Edited by bobbyjoe
  • Love 17

Are they ever going to have another rose ceremony or will the men just leave one by one?

After 10 years and a recent addiction to unReal, I finally decided to tune into this show. Am I correct in guessing that the contestants don't usually just storm out on a weekly basis? I'm the type to usually ffwd through the drawn out bullshit at the end of the episode (looking at you, Tyra) so I'd skip the rose ceremony anyway, but it feels so weird with that element completely expunged from the show. Also, are the dates always supposed to be like YMCA summer day camp?

• Love 2

I’m with Tanner — I think less of her for being all gaga over Nick, of all people. He’s not even attractive! (At least not to me. Tres smarmy.)

Totally agree with this and the timing sucks for them as well.  You know one guy will be going home in the rose ceremony that wouldn't have this early because she will be handing one to Nick.  Plus it doesn't seem fair since she had some sort of relationship with him before the show...I have my doubts they never met. Except for the fact that some of these guys would like the travel adventure, I wouldn't be too surprised to see a few of these guys bail over the Nick situation and the previewed sex "scandal" that I assume will happen soon. It's probably too much to hope for that it is Nick and she dumps him afterwards so he can yet again play the wounded sensitive guy and whine about it on TMTA.

• Love 2
(edited)

Time Magazine, of all places, reamed The Bachelorette out last week for the way they've presented this (they weren't the only ones, but when even an institution as stodgy as Time is calling you out, it might be time-- pardon the pun-- to pay attention).  At the end of the last episode and at the start of tonight's, as a gay man I was willing to hold my nose and say okay, at least they're getting past all this stupid crap quickly, but then it kept coming back, with things like the guy throwing "your boyfriend, your boyfriend" later at JJ in the rap contest.  The show just does not know how to handle referencing anything gay-- it's not "ha, ha" or "brokeback this or that" or "they're scheming villains (and, yeah, even though they're not really gay, the show isn't going out of its way to make that clear and keeps up all this wink, wink garbage)" or showing somebody hurling "your boyfriend" at another man as an insult and then not addressing it (or, then later tonight, one of the guys talking about how he'd-- ha ha-- get beat up back home if he got all theatrical like Cupcake; not bringing up the word gay specifically there, but that sentiment is going to ring pretty familiar to an awful lot of gay kids).  At this point in history, this show need to leave this subject to the adults.  By the end of the episode, I've come to agree with Time.  The show needs to knock it off, right now.

Seriously!! I had a visceral reaction to Redneck saying his friends would beat him up for being too "Broadway." (I posted on it above.) Do we need to reinforce stereotypes and backward thinking? What century is this??

Wow, I must be the only person who thought this episode was a vast improvement over last week's!  I thought last week was THE WORST, and granted I've been drinking prosecco tonight, but I was engaged.

Watching paint dry would be an improvement over last week's travesty. I wasn't bored or repulsed, just sad and missing the romance, which used to be the draw for this show.

What Kaitlyn should have done is turn Nick down, then when this show wraps and she breaks up two months down the line, give him a call...  ; ) 

Edited by Andromeda
  • Love 7

Wow, I must be the only person who thought this episode was a vast improvement over last week's!  I thought last week was THE WORST, and granted I've been drinking prosecco tonight, but I was engaged.

First off, the dates were WAY better than last week's.  A goofy rap battle, a dressed-up museum dinner, and an Aladdin performance are all right in line what I've come to expect from The Bachelorette.  I also found the guys much better this week and actually thought some of them were cute! 

I was bored to death most of the episode, but at least I wasn't feeling the need to fast-forward through most of it. I completely agree it was a LOT better than last week's. I thought the dates were much, much better, that's for sure.

• Love 1
(edited)

That's it, I'm out. This show is becoming physically painful to watch it's so bad. I can't snark, complain, or laugh. It's just so BAD. It's also the first season where it's painfully, glaringly obviously scripted and fake. NONE of fhe guys are really into her as much as the free trip around the world.

I quit.

Edited by hnygrl
  • Love 6

First off, the dates were WAY better than last week's. 

I thought the concepts of those dates were great, but the actual dates all fell flat because most of the guys seemed checked out, and then the Nick thing was hanging over everything like a dark, attention-seeking cloud.

Seriously, Nick. I wanted to say "who does he think he is to just waltz in and expect to get special treatment over all the men who are still there", but then that fool Kaitlyn let him come back. What about all the times she "saw her husband in the room" before Nick showed up?

This season is already an irredeemable train wreck and we're barely halfway through.

• Love 7

I thought the concepts of those dates were great, but the actual dates all fell flat because most of the guys seemed checked out, and then the Nick thing was hanging over everything like a dark, attention-seeking cloud.

Seriously, Nick. I wanted to say "who does he think he is to just waltz in and expect to get special treatment over all the men who are still there", but then that fool Kaitlyn let him come back. What about all the times she "saw her husband in the room" before Nick showed up?

This season is already an irredeemable train wreck and we're barely halfway through.

If they ever have a rose ceremony again, I'm sort of looking forward to Kaitlyn saying "I saw my husband in the room during our first cocktail party and I meant it" and then giving Nick the boot.  Not that I see it happening, because that's not even close to dramatic enough of a dismissal, though.

• Love 1

I never watch this show but happened to see a bit of it, maybe the first half of the episode. Shawn, I think his name is? He's adorable and seems well spoken. One of the Bens I liked. Tanner seemed decent. Everyone else looks like cobbled together potato men.

And the girl, Kaitlyn? She just seems so vapid and is constantly saying dumb shit like "oh my goshhhh! My heart is like, beating so fast!" I literally heard her say that twice in the first twenty minutes. And does she ever stop touching her face and hair or saying like? It looks like she has oversized new teeth and hasn't gotten used to moving her lips around them. She carries herself with no confidence. How is SHE the B-lette? How awful were the other options?

I love how the guys acted so affronted about bringing it another dude. "Hey! You're ONLY supposed to be dating the NINE of us!" And creepy Nick with his creepy smushed face just had to come on the show, he couldn't help it, like he just wandered onto set one day because he has suuuch a connection with Kaitlyn. Stupid. "This is LITERALLY the hardest decision I've ever made in my life. I just don't, like, know." Wow, what a charmed life, Kait.

These people are constantly drinking. They never don't have a drink in their hand and rosy cheeks. Had to laugh at all the men sitting around talking about integrity and respect for the process and how bringing another guy in is such an affront. Gentlemen, you're on the Bachelorette. Get real.

Just reminded me how I could never get into this show.

• Love 8

It looks like she has oversized new teeth and hasn't gotten used to moving her lips around them.

It isn't her teeth that are new, it's the puffy duck lips.  She didn't have those on Chris' season.  Emily did the same thing on her season.  Those things must feel odd or dry out easily or something.

• Love 5

Well, I am pretty close to being done with this show.

Disliked the rap event and I don't think any of the guys really were happy about having to do it either.

Hated the song and dance competition to be in the Alladin musical only to have the big winner walk on and walk off, having done nothing at all.  And this was the greatest experience of your life?!!

I see nothing attractive in looks or personality with Nick and the whole way it was set up was so fake.  I think it would have made more sense for them to have had him as an additional contestant right from the start, but, then, I guess that would be less dramatic.

The guys seem bored, the dates are boring, she seems to not really be trying to get to know anyone.

I don't care who she picks because I don't like her.

I think they would all be wise to just pack up their bags and leave now.  They won't have lost anything and will get to keep their self respect.

I guess I will try to stick it out for another episode, because I really think some of the guys may opt to just leave and I want to hear what they tell her as they go, not that she'd care.

• Love 8

Geez, Jared is gorgeous without the weird facial hair and, well, the rest of his hair combed down oddly onto his face! His transformation into James Bond 2.0 was stunning - it's almost like he's been grooming himself strangely on purpose so the contrast would be so dramatic.

Hope he's totally over the experience, because hearing Kaitlyn completely dismiss him on national television while he is so earnestly courting her has got to sting.

Ashley S is indeed a hairdresser in NYC and I've got to believe that she's quite competent to be able to make a living in such an expensive city. It had to be scripted that Kaitlyn's hair would look so wrong after their talk - TPTB can't let it appear that their crazy girl is talented. I actually gasped when Kaitlyn met Nick after her appointment sporting a braid and hank of hair sticking out from the back of her head.

• Love 6

She had zero one on one interaction with anyone on the group dates, which I found really odd. Everything is weird. It's like they are trying to mix stuff up but the formula works, people. Leave it alone. 

Also, I find Nick completely unattractive. But he did look like he's a good kisser. Maybe that's it.

• Love 6

Nick would have never been brought back if the show didn't want him.  They have done this in various ways on several seasons now.  Everyone is trying to continue their 15 minutes of fame.  Kaitlyn obviously is curious about her attraction to Nick.  She doesn't really know him.  But he flattered her when she was on Chris' season and kept in touch.  The best thing for Kaitlyn would have been telling the guys that she is curious about Nick.  She should let the guys know that if she didn't let him join this season she would always wonder "what if".  That would not be fair to the guy she picks. The guys all need to realize if they are "the one" it won't matter who she brings back.  But a lot of the guys just want to stick around longer for the exposure and travel.  They are the ones that will be upset that Nick might mean them going home a week sooner.  It really isn't about Kaitlyn.   

• Love 8

I have to agree with all of the basic sentiments.  I thought Kaitlyn would be a great Bachelorette, but she sucks.  I really hated how when the guys weren't causing the drama that she had to create it by ruining their date to think about Nick.  That was so rude.  She literally left their date to ponder over Nick, didn't spend any time with them after they voted for her/wasted their time on her, and then comes back and notices the mood isn't good.  Really?  I wonder why?

And then she has a date where she doesn't actually spend any time with them as only one person can do that one minute Broadway performance.  I know they have done this before but after the other dud date, does she really think she will get to know any of these guys if she just has them fight, rap, and practice Broadway?  And then some current guys will have to go home while Nick moves in?  How does she even think that will look to the guys that are there.  

The whole thing just baffles me.  I used to like Nick, but seeing him now I can see why so many people didn't like him on Andi's season.  He just wants the attention and to be "the one".

• Love 5
(edited)

You know, I was all about Kaitlyn as the Bachelorette at the beginning of the season but I can admit when I'm wrong. She hardly tries to get to know these guys and has 0 interest in all of them. Initially I thought she had a bad batch of guys but that's not necessarily true because Tanner, Shawn and Ben H seem like decent, good looking guys. And I hate that she loves to seek out or create drama ALL THE TIME. Usually people who protest too much that they don't want any drama are people creating it. If she felt like Clint is a creep, she could have just eliminated him during the rose ceremony (which was happening right after!) or just let him go quietly. But no, she had to drag his ass back to the group of guys to humiliate him and be a downer once again. It certainly wasn't so he could say goodbye to them.

And then, if she really was torn about Nick joining the show and wanted to sleep on it, she didn't need to mention this fact to the guys until after she has made her decision. Why ruin their date night, practically pouring cold water on it? If she had any respect for any of them, she should have at least TRY to be in the present and enjoy the night for the group date guys instead of her mind being 100% somewhere else. So, I was all with Tanner for having NONE of it. Leaving the group date to make out with Nick, who hasn't even officially join the show yet... another new low.

By the way, Kaitlyn shouldn't be so flattered as she was by Nick's attention. If he's not doing this to famewhore, he's completely doing this for his EGO. He just wants to prove once again that out of a bunch of guys, he's still the top choice for any girl/bachelorette. Or so he thinks.

Edited by waving feather
  • Love 9

Scribe95, I agree that Nick* looks like a good kisser. When they met on the street, he pulled back from Kaitlyn and she almost fell over in an attempt to continue kissing him!

* I actually typed ick instead of Nick here. How sad. Yet true.

• Love 4

I really believe this season is one long "F*ck you!" from the producers to all the fools like me who wanted Kaitlynn as the Bachelorette.  They really, really wanted Britt and now we're all being punished for it.

• Love 22

I really believe this season is one long "F*ck you!" from the producers to all the fools like me who wanted Kaitlynn as the Bachelorette.  They really, really wanted Britt and now we're all being punished for it.

Probably true!  But after seeing Britt and Brady together, and her fake generic responses I still feel happy she wasn't the B'ette.  She doesn't really have a clue as to what she wants other than to be the chosen one :-)  

• Love 13

Having read the comments up until now, did no one notice during the 'elevator music' that the floor counter remained on '1' for the duration of the scene??

I think the show has lost its lustre this season. The producers can't get anything right. Debating bailing on it myself, as is dear hubby who has watched it with me for a few seasons.

• Love 3
(edited)

Just some random thoughts and comments here. 

Now that u mention it..K does probably have extensions/fillers attached her scalp that she plays with. Yet her hair still looks stringy and dry.  Btw so did Whitney's and it drove me nuts

I think Ian will be offered the next Bachelor role.  Andy got her spot by telling off Juan Pablo.  He's very dignified and has all the right stuff. However with the craphole trajectory they're on now, they might ask JJ.

I think BIP is boring!  They couple up almost immediately so there's no drama. Does anyone remember a show called "Love in the Wild"?  It was so cute.  The couples (strangers) had mini 'amazing race' type challenges and were often paired with someone they didn't like and had to place well in the challenges to get their fave for the next round.  Several couples found 'love' and dated afterwards.

I think I saw JJ's 'slap' in some movie where the guy was a gambler, a sleezy stock peddler, or something.  It looked vaguely familiar.

Agreed:  it is not the bachelor/ette without the rose ceremony.  

I'm realizing now that CH is out promoting his book and that is why they are avoiding doing the rose ceremonies.  When Jeff Probst from "Survivor" was doing his failed talk show, he wouldn't show up for challenges.  The survivors were on their own with the cameraman I guess, being the referee. It cheated the fans and was disappointing just like this is.  I think they crafted the Clint drama so clumsily and WTF to cover CH ass not being there.

ETA: I enjoyed  the Gary Busey reference about her teeth.

Edited by seasick
  • Love 4
(edited)

Ok so I haven't watched all the bachelorette seasons so I can't say she is the worst, but Kaitlyn is certainly ONE of the worst B'ette's this show has ever cast.  On a purely shallow level, her hair/makeup/wardrobe are not working.  She's really pretty, but she's completely orange, her hair is lifeless and her wardrobe is just meh.  This isn't really her fault, but tptb may want to think about hiring some new stylists.  Also she needs to get her mouth area under control.  I know we all have our little quirks, but we are not all on national television (twice!).

Now on previous seasons I've always thought it was ridiculous when the bachelor(ette) would go on dates and act like they weren't also dating 10-20 other girls/guys.  But what Kaitlyn is doing may even be more annoying!  She's not even trying to get to know these guys one on one, all she does is talk about everyone else!  I felt bad for Jared.  He wanted it to be about just the two of them, but Kait just couldn't stop talking about what the other guys were thinking and doing.  Jared even looked good for once since he finally combed his hair.

I didn't watch Andi's season so I do not know Nick and I don't care at all that he kissed and told.  Normally I hate people who kiss and tell, but when your entire relationship is on television for the world to see I would say that common courtesy is out the window.  Kaitlyn was so excited to see Nick, I think that is the most genuine excitement we have seen out of her.

I like Ian and Shawn the best.  Shawn looks a little less busted than he did night one.  I would love if they would both go home, they seem to good for this show.

As much as it's silly, I admit I like to see the dates and the one on ones and the rose ceremonies, even if just to laugh at how painfully earnest everyone acts.  Kaitlyn seems to be all about the drama and dragging it out.  This is fun for a while, but now I am getting tired of it.

I can't help it I like Brady and Britt.  But wearing shoes on the beach??  What the heck was that about, lol.

ETA:  I loved seeing Ashley onion!  Now I feel she would be a good bachelorette!  She's truthful, funny and seems in on the joke.  Kaitlyn is just coming off as vapid and insecure.  Not a good look.

Edited by mostlylurking
  • Love 4

This season just seems like a farce and totally scripted.  The Brokeback story, the Nick thing, the upcoming previewed scandal....even the Kaitlyn over Britt thing and subsequent Britt/Brady romance.  The only thing that looks genuine is the look of disappointment on the guys faces when they heard about Nick. 

Maybe since neither Kaitlyn or Britt seemed like The Bachelorette, they could have actually gotten someone new.

• Love 9

I can't say I blame the men for looking uninterested - most of the dates are about them performing like trained seals. Thank goodness this challenge didn't involve bodily harm, but it was still about them insulitng each other. And Kaitlyn was just eating that up. She loves the macho competition, but is missing the point. She isn't making herself a desirable prize because she's not the focus of any of these dates. They are as task-based as things I've seen on Celebrity Apprentice.

Add me to the list of people who hate the format change and miss rose ceremonies. I'm big on visual cues, and I get very confused when a rose ceremony is happening in the beginning of an ep or not at all. I blame the show for not being able to hold my attention, but sometimes I'll actually sit and wait for the rose ceremony, only to realize it's 10 and we're not getting one. That annoys me to no end.

Maybe I'm insane, but I liked Nick on Andi's season way more than lunkhead Josh. I enjoy sensitive artistic types who wear scarves, I guess. He did nothing to deserve the ire heaped upon him by the other men then, and I feel the same way now. Labelling him a famewhore is a case of a Crate and Barrel full of posts calling a kettle black. Newsflash, everyone there is a famewhore to some degree. Let it go. It's Kaitlyn's show now, for better or (much) worse. This isn't a new facet of the show, and considering the lack of chemistry and the amount of men dropping like flies, I don't blame her for wanting to get new blood.

The look on her face when Nick showed up was priceless. That was the first genuine emotion I felt from Kaitlyn since she was told she'd  be the B-ette. Was it lust? Sure, probably. But what's wrong with starting there? There's no big spark with the other guys. It was obvious from the word go that she wanted Nick to stay.

And if the other guys dislike him so much, then I agree with Ian's statement from next week in which he tells Kaitlyn that it makes him question her. These guys do not have to stick around if they're unhappy. Speak your piece and leave.

I said last season that there was no viable B-ette in Chris's group, and I was right. Britt and Kaitlyn were two opposite ends of the spectrum. Neither one could really work, but what I'm seeing this season is not enjoyable.

Oh and I loved that they went through a 3-hour Broadway audition only to walk on and offstage with no lines. That's show biz, kids!

• Love 5
Back when they first had two bachelors, at about this time in the show, the producers brought on two new surprise girls — a lift door opened and it was Mary and a previous bachelorette from another installment (Mary was also a previous b’ette, of course, from Bob’s season.) There was none of this sturm und drang — the producers just brought the girls in and that was that. 

And they did not show 22 min of footage of Mary walking along the city streets with her suitcase.  LOL

I don't get the Nick attraction.  He's not good looking, he doesn't have the great personality, it seems obvious he just wants to be on TV.  Is Kaitlyn that dumb?  When she said she had chemistry and physical attraction with him I was like "whaaa?".  I feel like this is a guy who if you saw him out or at a party you would not look twice at him.  How is he getting so much play in BN?

I’m with Tanner — I think less of her for being all gaga over Nick, of all people. He’s not even attractive! (At least not to me. Tres smarmy.)

I think this season is going to have a record number of guys that bail. Really not that many of these guys seem into her at all, and the 2-3 that did seem into her just lost interest with this dick move she just puled.  

• Love 4

I'm starting to think that too.

Be interesting to see how some of Chris' girls do on "Bachelor in Paradise" and if any of them would have been a better lead cause at this point Kaitlyn is one of the worst they have ever had.

• Love 3
I said last season that there was no viable B-ette in Chris's group, and I was right. Britt and Kaitlyn were two opposite ends of the spectrum. Neither one could really work, but what I'm seeing this season is not enjoyable.

I thought the same thing, they really couldn't win.  There were no good choices in that pool of contestants.  They really should have gone with Claire but I know that's not the pattern.  I mean at this point Elyse would have been better.

This is pretty bad.

• Love 2

I like the format change for the RCs, I FF through them anyway..  I would much rather have her announce those she is letting go, instead.  

I blame production for the 2 bachettes starting this off on the wrong foot.  They just could not believe the support for Kaitlyn and were convinced Britt was the one.  Well, all the male staffers were drooling over her.  Oh and casting.  Kids in their early 20s there for a 30 year old woman?  Nah, not good.  

They are having trouble getting men who can leave their career for this, understandably.  

I do like Kaillyn though.  I find her refreshing, genuine and witty.  She is authentically thrilled with the dates, that is not an act.  Her laughter and obvious fun so far is enjoyable.  

That mansion is ugly beyond words and to think someone actually lives there gives me pause.  The tile everywhere is hideous.  HIDEOUS.  

• Love 3

They never needed to establish a pattern of Bachelor rejects as B'ettes.  The first Bachelors were all originals and this season in particular they should have faced the fact that Farmer Chris's flock didn't have anyone suitable and put out a casting call for someone new.  They foolishly thought Kaitlyn would bring an element of fun and humor to the dates, but they should have spent enough time with her to see that all she really had in her humor bag was a few tired, dirty jokes and a rowdy laugh. Emily and Ashley Dentist were both more capable of finding the funny in the moment.

Now here we are, stuck with nothing more entertaining than picturing Nick holding his blow dryer in his left hand until he gets his hair stuck that way.  The only thing that could save this season would be watching all the men walk out at once.

• Love 11
(edited)
I think Ian will be offered the next Bachelor role.

I don't see it all. Unfortunately there is the obvious, that he's biracial and well, let's call a spade a spade, this show is not having a non-white lead. I think in their minds, Juan Pablo was their meeting some minority quota. That said, there's also the fact that we haven't really been shown too much of Ian and I don't think he'll make it very far in the season. Right now, I'd say the next lead will be between Shawn B. if he's not picked by Kaitlyn, Chris, cupcake guy and maybe Ben H. actually. Something about him last week with the sex ed date, tells me he might be a dark horse this season who makes it pretty far.

So like last week...I guess that happened. Positives, I agree with someone above that the dates were more enjoyable and definitely more typical Bachelor/ette fare. The Metropolitan Museum date just looked absolutely amazing. I honestly didn't care which guy was on it - it just looked like a really awesome date. The rapping was kind of silly but again, typical for this show I feel. It brought to mind the Boyz II Men group date on Andi's season. I did chuckle at how completely and utterly lost Shawn B. looked right from the start, especially when Doug E. Fresh was rapping and Jonathan, Kaitlyn and Ryan B. (I think) were all singing along. He was standing there just like "what now..." But kudos to him for having a good attitude about it.

Okay, so the Nick saga...sigh. I liked Nick well enough in Andi's season and thought the villainizing by the other guys was bullshit and more a need to create some drama and storyline for the season. That said, I was never in favor of him coming back on this show. It just seems ridiculous especially after how his first time went, with him being edited as the big villain in the house and then he was considered evil by some for "outing" Andi at the ATFR (not me, I still don't give a shit about that). No matter how "sincere" his motives may be, it will always seem famewhoring at best, to come back on the show.

But frankly, the other reason I was really dreading him returning is that I thought Andi's season at one point became all about Nick - "is Nick evil, is Nick manipulative, the guys don't trust Nick, is Nick there for camera time or does he really care for Andi" and then with his bombshell at the ATFR, even that became all about him. I remembered thinking during Andi's season that in some ways the love story between her and Josh (ignore that that imploded fairly quickly) was almost sacrificed somewhat in favor of all the Nick drama. And I was not looking forward to another season of that and sure enough, that's what happened last night. The moment Nick showed up, the entire episode seemed to revolve around him. 

And the long, drawn out hemming and hawing by Kaitlyn did not help and did not make her look very good. The fact is, once she was apparently so torn by this, it was clear she wanted him to stay so it was like "just get it over with and make him stay." I also go back and forth on how much of last night I thought was staged. I felt like when Kaitlyn first saw Nick when she went to say hello to Ashley I., that felt a little staged. However, her reaction back stage seemed pretty genuine. She looked positively and genuinely giddy. The other thing is I think it's quite obvious that Kaitlyn's whole "we just spoke a handful of times at best, very casually" was bullshit once you saw her physical interactions with Nick.

It wasn't just the kissing but the intimacy in which they touched and held each other. You don't have that with someone you spoke to a handful of times very casually. Not to mention if it was so casual, there wouldn't be any issue with her not having him stay because it essentially came down to pissing off a handful of guys just to have this one guy stick around. Her choosing the latter pretty much says a lot in my opinion. I also don't think as some suggested that it was the producers' doing to have her make him stay. I think, as I said in last week's thread, Kaitlyn and Nick clearly had some kind of connection (I don't think they were in a full on relationship) that the producers knew about and yes, they likely encouraged Nick to return and then left it up to her knowing either way, it would be a dramatic win for them.

As for Kaitlyn, she's still okay I guess but this week especially it was glaring how few one on one interactions we're seeing with her and the guys. My friend made the comment that Kaitlyn keeps mentioning these connections with guys but she's not seeing it. I do wonder though, if some stuff is being sacrificed for the drama, in the editing. Like I really wonder if Kaitlyn really just dropped the Nick bomb as soon as the guys showed up for the night portion of the group date or if was at the end of the night when she was ready to hand out the rose but the way it was edited it made it seem like she spoke to no one. 

That being said, while she may not be winning any prizes for best lead ever, I'm still not seeing the absolute worse or most horrible season ever. As someone noted elsewhere - how quickly we all forget. I've seen comments like "what has happened to this show" in regards to Kaitlyn's season and how things started going downhill with the mess that was Juan Pablo and maybe even Chris' boring season but let's face it, long before these seasons we had Jen Scheftt who wasn't interested in anyone and clearly just went through the motions as the lead, Bob who supposedly slept with as many contestants as he could, Prince Lorenzo which was just a complete farce on every level, Matt Grant, etc.

And while Ashley and Desiree were both sweet women genuinely looking for love, the producers had no problem embarrassing Ashley with that Bentley mess where the first episodes of her season was her crying over and being all googly eyed over him while he continually bashed and insulted her to the camera. And Desiree had the whole Brooks mess where it took her and Chris actually getting married for the jokes about him being sloppy seconds to end (and for some it still exists) and she got mocked mercilessly at the end as clearly just being so desperate for a ring she would have accepted it from anyone. All I'm saying is that this entire franchise has really always been a hot ass mess in many ways. As I said in another thread, the few success stories have come in spite of the show rather than because of it. It's like a few diamonds in the rough every few years/seasons but being a hot mess is kind of what this show does. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9

Gah, these freaking group dates! I am so over them. Previously the men were all taking each other down physically. This week they get to give each other verbal smackdowns. Oh, except the Aladdin date. That was only set up so these poor dudes could embarrass themselves and lose out on spending any time with Kaitlyn. I mean, what kind of BS was that? Other than Chris (who, by the by, just loves "A Whole New World" so much he's been known to sing it in the shower AND the car!), those guys got to spend, what? Two minutes a piece with her? Awesome.

Shit, Nick wasn't even an official contender and HE had more time with her. Which, I knew this was coming, but....no. Just no. HATED Nick on Andi's season, did not want to see him back again. I think it's just really unfair to the other guys, who, you know, actually applied and had to be vetted and sit through rose ceremonies. Just annoying that anyone can pop up and get on the show on a whim.

I do agree that JJ and Clint's breakup was the most dramatic in all of B history. It was pretty damn funny, actually. Hell, if we're going to drop the pretense of this being a legitimate dating show, the more chicanery the better.

• Love 3

It's the same thing that happened on Chris' season when Jordan tried to come back.  I am sure the producers planted her there, obviously no one can get on without the OK of TPTB.  But then it was left up to Chris to approve or not.  He did the right thing IMO, did not let her join, and Kaitlyn was part of that!  She chose the wrong way on this.  Nick better not be in the F3 I really don't care to see a trip to his family again, or him, for that matter.

• Love 2

The one thing I can say for Kaitlyn is that she defies the stereotype that women avoid confrontations at all costs. I've never seen someone so eager to get into it with other people.

I think it might be time for the Bachelor franchise to get fresh blood for their lead. Having a previous season's fan favorite almost inevitably leads to disappointment.

• Love 5

Why do the producers of the Bachelorete hate Katlyn?  They seem to be showing her in such a negative light; meaning they show her saying one thing to the guys then something else to Nick, kissing him on what appears to be their first meeting.  I still like her and if she is attracted to Nick then yeah she should bring him on the show.  All the men in the world wont change how she feels about him. 

• Love 4
I think it might be time for the Bachelor franchise to get fresh blood for their lead. Having a previous season's fan favorite almost inevitably leads to disappointment.

I've been saying this for YEARS! Please. 

• Love 4

[britt] doesn't really have a clue as to what she wants other than to be the chosen one :-)  

Isn't that what the Bachelorette is supposed to want? Neither Kaitlyn nor the guys are behaving like they want to be chosen one. Everyone's thinking, "Two can play at that game!"

• Love 4

It looked to me as if JJ was swatting a bug, not hitting himself, too.  But, whatever. Hitting himself is better teevee.

"Good luck with your hair," That's why all these women fall for Nick. I don't see the ick in him; he seems like the kind of nice, open, there for you guy that women always say that they want.  Minus the on-teevee famewhore angle.

The Aladdin promo worked for me: I would definitely buy a ticket if I was in NYC cuz I love those Disney movies. Also, did JJ just out himself when he said he only listens to Broadway soundtracks, or was that his one and only expression of dry wit? 

Ashley I's outfit was a tad inappropriate for a children's play, no?

PLEASE stop showing Britt and Brady. Does anyone actually care? I'm glad she at least gets the credits where most people would be getting up and going to the bathroom. Brady is still wearing the one black t-shirt he owns. I'm wondering if they're both in it for some sex and camera time and will part ways as soon as this season is done

And why are they always stumbling around like drunks every time the camera is turned on?

Except for Cupcake and Ben H, this is the least photogenic group of guys cast ever. Kaitlyn must have really been raunchier on Chris' season than they showed us because the casting people just collected the rejects of the applicants, save one or two keepers for potential Bachelors.  

• Love 1
(edited)

A philosophical, but practical, question:

If you were a female who actually bought into the premise of the show i.e. you were searching for a husband, life partner, etc. and were determined to choose from a finite group of males in a very short time frame, would you spend it dragging the males 'out of their element' and have them engage in acts for which they are ill-suited, that will embarrass them, that will fail to demonstrate their physical fitness, agility, etc. (brawling in a ring doesn't count), fail to demonstrate whatever innate or learned intelligence they may have and fail to explore any emotional depth beyond the perfunctory 'I really like you' and the occasional Devastating Personal Tragedy ?

While we shake our collective head at the vapidity of the contestants, including Kaitlyn, the tomboy on the school bus who laughs at every boy's joke regardless of its actual humorous content, can we ask (again) - is this show fit for purpose?  Would any sane female tell herself she had found Mr. Right because she had forced him to do stand-up comedy, sumo wrestling, rapping, boxing, musical theatre etc. simply so she could ridicule him?  This isn't courtship - it's summer camp.  If the producers fail on a fairly regular basis to get a lasting match (even when they recycle contestants) isn't it primarily their fault due to their choice of activities?

I can't believe I'm about to agree with Tony The Cliche Bearer, but what about an activity that isn't fish-out-of-water stuff and that might promote bonding such as skydiving?  How about a softball game or volleyball?  Pool/darts tournament? Build a house?  Paint a barn?  If you want the Bachelors to compete in order to prove themselves then having them all do something they are hopeless at will reveal absolutely nothing.

The pat answer is:  the find-a-mate stuff is just a premise to do a Big Brother ripoff with similar rare peaks of excitement and long stretches of boredom to foster a tame/temporary version (they hope) of Stockholm Syndrome that will last just long enough to get through the finale and postmortem.

It's not that I have lofty expectations of the show given its built-in shortcomings, specifically the compressed time frame, but the cynical Fleiss & Co. seem fresh out of ideas with the exception of sadism.

Edited by Rainsong
  • Love 12

A thousand "likes"  to this!   There has been some quesiotn about whether ABC will ever have a Gay Bachelor -  and this episode pretty much nailed their feelings about it.  To the producers of this show, "gay"  is something you mock, and two guys can pretend to fall for each other as a big hilarious JOKE.  

It's the mentality that late night talk shows had 10 years ago, and have moved past, for the most part.  

Ten years ago, "haha he's gay"  was the punchline about so many singers and actors in Hollywood.  The rest of us have moved past it - The Bachelor/ette people need to do the same. 

• Love 8

I just watched Unreal, and now I view this whole thing in a new light.  I think in the past some leads had more control over things (Emily) b/c TPTB really wanted her to be the Bach.  However, with this whole 2 leads thing it puts whoever gets voted for in such a terrible position.  They probably had to agree to everything the producers wanted b/c it's not like they're the only option.  Then they get a cast of guys half of whom voted for the other girl, which preys upon their insecurities and emotions.  Kaitlyn was probably so happy to see Nick b/c she knew for sure he was there for her, and has wanted her since he saw her on CS's season.  Other guys may have said so but she can't be 100% certain since she didn't actually see them vote for her.

Positive things: Shawn B's abs, Jared's combed hair, Ben Z's arms, and Ben H's general adorableness.

• Love 12

Isn't that what the Bachelorette is supposed to want? Neither Kaitlyn nor the guys are behaving like they want to be chosen one. Everyone's thinking, "Two can play at that game!"

I agree, but she just always comes off to me as if she hasn't really decided what kind of guy or relationship she wants--she just likes the guy that likes her.  And she is into everything he is into.  I wasn't making any comparisons to Kaitlyn as Kaitlyn hasn't been impressive so far either.

• Love 1

The guys on the Aladdin date looked genuinely pissed off that they had to go through those embarrassing auditions and then end up going home.  Right now they're hanging in there mainly for the travel and a potential Bachelor gig (certainly not for Kaitlyn).

Regarding the Nick thing, I'm thinking Kaitlyn quickly realized she wasn't into any of the guys and they brought him in for the drama.  They probably already hooked up so she knew there was some chemistry.  Both Kaitlyn and Nick are the ultimate fame-whores and clearly not ready to settle down.

• Love 8
(edited)

Thoughts:

Kaitlyn makes Andi look like an amazing Bachelorette.

It's not a date if you're not spending any actual time together.

The whole hair thing just appeared to be poor editing.  Clearly Kaitlyn went to meet Nick before she got her hair done, and they just showed these scenes out of order.  Ashley was curling her hair with a curling iron - no point in doing that if you're just going to stick it into a messy side braid.  Kaitlyn's evening 'do must be the one Ashley did for her.

Edited by Jillybean
  • Love 8
I wish Kaitlyn wore dresses more like the kind Jillian had worn.  All these long, complicated, heavy looking gowns with appliques and cutouts and rhinestones and velvet are just overpowering her little body and making her look distorted. 

Kaitlyn's dresses don't seem to be hemmed correctly to start with, and those heavy beaded dresses tend to pull and get longer as the night goes on.  The fact that she's constantly holding up the dress so she doesn't trip drives me nuts.

By this point in the season I expect I'd be able to identify more than one or two of the guys that are left, but I really can't.  This just seems to be a losing proposition for everyone involved with all the shenanigans this season.

Something about Britt and Brady's leggings/skinny pants obsession creeps me out.  Maybe I'm projecting after the "not showering" thing with Britt, but something about what she had on or how she looked in that pointless update just seemed dirty to me.  Not skanky, but actual dirt kind of dirty.  Like maybe she'd been wearing it for days on end.

• Love 5

I like Kaitlyn a lot, and I think it's kind of shitty that many people think she isn't a good Bachelorette because she doesn't line up with what one should look/act like. Maybe she is drawn to drama, but come on, this is a reality show. I appreciate seeing her stand up for herself and not take any BS from the guys (Nick situation notwithstanding). Remember: editing is magic! Unfortunately, the editors seem hell-bent on slut-shaming Kaitlyn, which is a perfect illustration of the double-standard in our society.

*steps off feminist soapbox*

The Brady and Britt scenes make me laugh...they could have easily filmed all of them in one fell swoop, then cut them up to appear as though they're taking place weeks apart.

• Love 5