Type keyword(s) to search

S44.E02: Two Dorky Magnets

Whimsy
  • Start Topic

Tribes must snake their way toward the win for immunity and reward. Also, paranoia starts to set in as a looming suspicion becomes the elephant in the room, and lines are drawn in the sand at tribal council.

Original airdate 3/8/23

(edited)

I’m not crazy about the stated reason for Helen, an Asian woman, being voted out: for being too intelligent. At least it’s a step up from being “sneaky?”

Wish we knew more about Josh and Heidi, but this is an otherwise fairly balanced group of castaways in terms of edit so far.

Not thrilled about Kane being on the outs when he was the only other remaining person on his tribe, other than Brandon, who at least voted in episode 1. Like, why is Brandon so sure that Jamie Lynn, Lauren and Matthew are with him?

Edited by jsm1125
  • Like 9
  • Sad 3
5 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

I’m not crazy about the stated reason for Helen, an Asian woman, being voted out: for being too intelligent. At least it’s a step up from being “sneaky?”

I agree with you. Especially with Carson talking about how smart HE is - the whole vibe around it was just kind of gross.

The episode overall was a lot of fun, though. Those birdcage shenanigans were entertaining, and I'm thrilled that Danny seems to actually Get It. I'm not sure Carolyn does, but she pulled it off well enough for know because her tribe entirely underestimates her ability to do anything, apparently.

• Like 14
  • LOL 1
(edited)
12 minutes ago, jsm1125 said:

Wish we knew more about Josh and Heidi, but this is an otherwise fairly balanced group of castaways in terms of edit so far.

Not thrilled about Kane being on the outs when he was the only other remaining person on his tribe, other than Brandon, who at least voted in episode 1. Like, why is Brandon so sure that Jamie Lynn, Lauren and Matthew are with him?

This annoyed me about Kane being on the outs.  Matthew clearly stated his SITD was so he wouldn't have to expose what side he was on.  Jamie thought she was the target, and Lauren wanted to bank the vote for her advantage.  Kane went in thinking Brandon was going so he went with the group.  I just hate the mentality of 'how dare he vote for me!' and the others, who didn't even vote for their own reasons, acting all high and mighty.  Does Jamie forget she was on the outs and Maddy probably got targeted for trying to save her?

I also didn't like the reasoning for voting off Helen.  Because she's smart?  What does that even mean?  Yam Yam thought Sarah might have been lying about finding the idol, but why was she not on the radar?  I liked Helen, for what little we saw of her, so I was sad to see her leave.

As to the rest of the episode:

I'm ready for bearded Matt to leave.  He just comes off as some sort of Survivor God that thinks he is playing a fantastic game so far.  Of course he would build an exact replica of that challenge in his backyard for practice.  His tribe took a gamble letting him do it, and he may regret it if he further injured his shoulder.  And Lauren may want to summon the spirits of Survivor's past who were on a power trip and got blindsided out of the game.  Her saying she's in a power position are usually famous last words. 

I have to apologize to Carolyn, who is definitely way smarter and better at this game than I thought she would be (outside of climbing high on a tree looking for the key for the cage, and finding a snake instead).  

Claire's reaction/TH about the Frannie/Matt showmance was comedy gold.  Frannie is right about this being a potential bad look to be seen as being close to Matt like that.  I didn't like how Jeff seemed to call Claire out at the challenge for sitting out again.  

I enjoyed this a lot better than the premiere.  Some smart plays by those who found the idols, and I like that they are actually spending time with each tribe, and not just focusing on one or two tribes and practically ignoring the third.  

Edited by LadyChatts
  • Like 7
  • Useful 1
4 minutes ago, LadyChatts said:

This annoyed me about Kane being on the outs.  Matthew clearly stated his SITD was so he wouldn't have to expose what side he was on.  Jamie thought she was the target, and Lauren wanted to bank the vote for her advantage.  Kane went in thinking Brandon was going so he went with the group.  I just hate the mentality of 'how dare he vote for me!' and the others, who didn't even vote for their own reasons, acting all high and mighty.  Does Jamie forget she was on the outs and Maddy probably got targeted for trying to save her?

I saw irritation from Brandon (understandable in the immediate aftermath) and some smugness from Matthew talking about his SITD move, but was Jaime acting high and mighty? Mostly she still seemed to be riding the relieved high of a successful SITD play. I don't remember her chiming in too much on the "oh there goes Kane looking for 'firewood'" talk.

I will second (third? fourth?) the slight discomfort at the "Helen is smart, she's clearly hiding something" suspicions, based on...something. And also the "wtf" at the other four seemingly not piecing together that Carolyn was nowhere in sight when they found the birdcage. I felt kind of bad for Helen in her final words when she was talking about second-guessing all the connections she thought she had made. Since Sarah had no vote to be read, she probably assumed Sarah voted for her, too 🙁

“I built this puzzle in my backyard and practiced.” “I 3-d printed this puzzle and practiced.”

Pleasssssse stop with the super fans and bring in normal people. 

So many wardrobe changes. Especially with Carolyn. 

• Like 12
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, hendersonrocks said:

I agree with you. Especially with Carson talking about how smart HE is - the whole vibe around it was just kind of gross.

Yeah, I'm not really feeling Mr.Smartypants here. I mean, if other people think Helen is the smart one, then keeping her is good for him, right? I think Helen would had been a great ally(and potential shield) for him. Maybe he was a wee bit threatened?

Like Carolyn said herself, what does Carson really get from siding with her?

It really is true in my experience that very smart people don't need to tell you that fact about themselves.

I need to see more of Danny. But he's the one who came out of this episode smelling like a rose. Physical leader, sneaky and strategic as hell. Plus he didn't have to tell us he was smart.

Edited by vb68
  • Like 11

I'm ready for bearded Matt to leave.  He just comes off as some sort of Survivor God that thinks he is playing a fantastic game so far.  Of course he would build an exact replica of that challenge in his backyard for practice.  His tribe took a gamble letting him do it, and he may regret it if he further injured his shoulder.  And Lauren may want to summon the spirits of Survivor's past who were on a power trip and got blindsided out of the game.  Her saying she's in a power position are usually famous last words. 

Matthew is a Survivor God!  He won the challenge for his tribe and there is no sign of an injured shoulder any more.

• Like 6

I will say, as I did in the live thread, that this is probably the best episode for me since season 42. Not only did we get 20+ minutes of actual gameplay, the challenge felt shorter and we got some really great insight into some players. The only downsides were Helen being voted out (I really liked Helen) and the showmance stuff (Matt, you keep saying you just got broken up with and also sound visibly excited to start something new with Frannie).

Matthew and Carson annoy the shit out of me. Listen, I'm fine with the superfan. I'm ok with the idea that some players come in with having practiced the various challenges they always overuse. It's Survivor's fault that they haven't come up with anything original in the physical challenges in years. If a player wants to game the system, then I'm all for it. But Matthew made it sound like he was sacrificing his arm for this challenge ("I TOOK IT OUT OF THE SLING, JEFF! I COULD HAVE DIED!") which, along with him stupidly injuring his arm from climbing a rock for no reason and playing his SITD and making it sound like some 4D chess move, made me more annoyed of him than I probably should have been. 

And Carson likes to talk about how smart he is...which, ok, great, you built puzzles from a 3D printer. Like Matthew, he gamed the system, which is still on Survivor. He annoys me less than Matthew at this point, but I'm getting the vibe that he has an ego that will come to the forefront soon. I felt the same about Jonathan in 42, with him seeming fine at the start but an ego brewing at the surface. If Carson is around for the long game, I think I'm going to be more annoyed at him. Which is odd because I DO prefer players who are strategic and smart, rather than the wacky characters like Carolyn...and I really like Carolyn now.

Carolyn is someone I wasn't sure I'd like but, honestly, she reminds me a bit of Maryanne. Carolyn's more over the top and odd, but both women fit the "don't judge a book by its cover" saying. Both are smarter than they present themselves to be, and I love it. Carolyn may be wacky and display odd behaviour, but she owns it and also has shown that she's intuitive. Coming from a cast of duds in terms of gameplay thus far, she's one of the smarter ones and I'm kind of excited to see what she brings. Will she get annoying? Perhaps, but I won't judge her much because she does have something that not just makes her stand out, but gives her the potential to do well in this game. But it'll all depend on how she reacts to high stress situations. Can she fight her heart and her head? Because both are going to pull her in different directions and I'm curious to see which wins out in the end.

It IS a shame about Helen, as I really liked her. I wish we could have gotten rid of Sarah instead, who is just plain boring.

The showmance stuff can go away and it's barely even started. Like I said above, Matt went on and on about his break-up and how much it sucked...but is also trying to start a relationship with Frannie. I know the producers are heavily pushing this and it's likely them forcing a narrative when it could be as simple as Matt wasn't that serious about his ex, but it feels like it's a rebound situation that will only get Frannie hurt in the end. Producers, that's on you for displaying the showmance storyline like this. Now I'm gonna feel bad for Frannie.

Danny is fantastic. A LOT of people loved Cody last season but I was never quite a fan. I liked him, but I didn't see why everyone seemed to gravitate toward him. But I think I've figured out why people loved Cody last season with Danny this season. Danny's not 100% like Cody, but he reminds me of what Cody was like last season. Funny guy with a real knack for strategy to the game, but could hide behind the humour of his character. I really liked Danny finding the key, taking the risk to open the birdcage, taking the idol and putting the bag back. 

Overall, a really good episode. Maybe not the best, as it had some issues, but a lot better than 43 and the premiere of this season. I appreciate them putting more strategy/game talk scenes here and leaving out the sob stories and 20 minute challenges.

• Like 11
1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

I also didn't like the reasoning for voting off Helen.  Because she's smart?  What does that even mean?  Yam Yam thought Sarah might have been lying about finding the idol, but why was she not on the radar?  I liked Helen, for what little we saw of her, so I was sad to see her leave.

I was annoyed with this, especially given that Carolyn pointed out that Carson is just as much of a threat as Helen is. Both are smart, both did the Savvy puzzle, and Carolyn even said that Carson is friendly with EVERYONE. So, then....vote him out instead? I guess Carolyn and Yam Yam had no idea that Sarah had no vote, so I guess it wouldn't have mattered anyway. But if they had, it would have forced a tie and it would have been 2-1. That would have been interesting to see. 

1 hour ago, LadyChatts said:

I was REALLY hoping that Brandon would have had a confessional where he'd say "yeah, I feel betrayed by Matthew for using his SITD and not having my back." Instead, all the blame goes to Kane, who thought he was just voting with everyone else, not that he'd be the only one to take the fall after the fact because Jaime got paranoid and Matthew was too much of a coward to pick a side.

• Like 5
  • Sad 1
(edited)

Man too bad about Helen. She was pleasant eye candy. Why couldn't it be the bland, boring girl with the long hair that was targeted?  You could hear the hurt in Helen's voice during the closing credits just what a blow it was for her to go out early.

Claire is really making me not like her the way she was talking smack about the Dorky Duo. It's galling that she's right, but it just rubs me the wrong way...like maybe she's use to getting attention from the fellers and Frannie is the one who is getting it.

That whole challenge was giving me Frankie Grande flashbacks in the worst way.

Carolyn's kid was lucky he wasn't the first person in history to get shanked by the Tooth Fairy with a canine tooth for putting a tooth formerly bathed in crap under the pillow.

Rock falling guy did indeed put a target on his back for later in the game when people are going to want to take him out for making his DYI challenges that could give him an immunity run. Now they have to take him out.

Edited by North of Eden
  • Like 9

I'm thinking how much one would like this season will be based on one's tolerance of Carolyn. You ever watch SNL with Kirsten Wiig playing the lady that tries (and inevitably fails) to keep a secret? That is Carolyn. She's probably a nice person in real life, but she also strikes me as the sort of person that would volunteering the information about digging through her kid's poop for a lost tooth, even if no one was talking to her at all.

I'm okay with "superfans." If you can afford a 3D printer, why not print out classic Survivor puzzles? It's not like they're going to stop making those and foisting them out on players. Carson is not only on a quest to win, but also to out-Christian Christian. And I'm good with Matthew as well. If more players were allowed on the show on any given season, I could totally see camps open up to train would-be players, a la American Ninja Warrior.

Yam Yam is like Carolyn, in that he's also probably "a lot" in real life.

2 hours ago, Jodithgrace said:

That was bizarre. Four castaways go walking out together, leaving Carolyn alone. She opens the birdcage and gets the idol, failing to cover her tracks adequately. The other four come back, see that the cage has been tampered with and immediately start accusing each other! Uh…you were all together! And then Carolyn who is the absolute worst person to keep a secret and is positively squirming with the effort, somehow manages to avoid suspicion. Nobody seems to think she has it, at least not that we were shown.

"We gotta get Ben out of the game. He's been using too many immunity idols! Okay, now lets all sit around with thumbs up our butts and hope he doesn't get lucky yet again."

I really should pay closer attention, because I didn't know Helen before she got voted out. It feels like players are pulled from the ether for the purpose of getting votes over legitimate threats to the game.

• Like 7

Don't care one iota about the showmance between Matt and Frannie. I could care less about Matt's supposed breakup with is ex-girlfriend and him connecting with Frannie. Who cares? Get one of them out please. Danny seems like a good, strategic player. 

Sucks to see Helen go. Didn't really get to see or hear much from her, but still disappointing. Not bad to look at either. Carolyn was right saying what is in it for Carson to keep her. Carson seems likable to his tribe. Was kind of hoping for Carolyn and Yam Yam were going to target him, but no.

All in all, good episode, good season so far. I don't totally hate anyone yet.

• Like 4
(edited)

It is a strategic problem for Matt and Frannie to have this crush and bond, but gosh, I like them together!  I hope they aren’t voted out soon because I’d like to see where this goes.  They are so happy and adorkable together.  

And yes, I’m a little concerned for Frannie — Matt seems to have bounced back too quickly from his clearly sad breakup but it does happen IRL.

Ha!  I was typing this just as TVFan1 was composing the above about “please no Matt + Frannie”.  

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 10

Ew.  Showmance.  I'm never a fan.  But I am a little charmed by their geeky giggles.

We bitch every season about people who come on the show and who can't make fire, or swim or dive, or arrive already starvation skinny, or not know to search the sit-out bench for advantages.  Yet....I have to say...building mockups of common challenges and puzzles at home and practicing seems just a little too far the other way.  It leaves a bit of a bad taste for me.  More than that, it certainly highlights how repetitive Survivor challenges have become.  

I miss the blindfolded nut-crusher challenge, and the answer the question right and chop a rope "expose the pecking order" challenges.  I miss the Survivor auction and the gross eating challenges.  Hell, I miss the family visits!  Bring back the car challenge!  At least the curse was interesting.

I liked Helen. I think she got a raw deal.  Suddenly everyone on that tribe is a click-bait body language expert?  Which means Helen was shady because her arms were crossed, hugging her body?  Maybe she was just cold!  Maybe the bizarre woman who wasn't with all the rest of them and who had opportunity might have been the one to get the idol, 'ya think?  I'll give this: Carolyn certainly was smarter than I thought, but she was certainly sloppy so it didn't quite work.

She still gets in my last nerve though.

• Like 19
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
3 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm thinking how much one would like this season will be based on one's tolerance of Carolyn. You ever watch SNL with Kirsten Wiig playing the lady that tries (and inevitably fails) to keep a secret? That is Carolyn. 

I saw that in the live thread and thought maybe. But then I saw her tribal and thought definitely. I think she even had her hand over her mouth, holding something in. I think she would be a lot in person but so far I’m enjoying her. 

• Like 2

I always root for smart contestants.  Love that Danny was smart enough to make it look like the birdcage had not been opened (and said in the TH interview he would not be telling anyone he had the idol) and love that Matthew and Carter were smart enough to practice puzzles at home.  (Matthew needed redemption after the bonehead move last week dislocating his shoulder.)  It's funny Carolyn tried to get away with opening the birdcage too, failed at it, but then her tribemates dismissed the possibility that she had done it and instead starting suspecting each other.  I don't see her keeping her secret for long though.

I'm surprised more contestants haven't encountered snakes while poking around for idols.  I always hold my breath when they reach into holes around rocks and trees.

Matt and Frannie make a cute couple.  Claire's facial reactions were hilarious.

• Like 4
  • LOL 1

I was happy to see so many of them confirm that they used their advantages last week to keep possible targets off their backs.  somethings got to change there.

Last week Carolyn was saying how unpopular she was and this week they proved her right by all instantly agreeing that she was the one to vote out, no discussion needed. I'm not sure how it all changed and why she felt safe enough to keep her idol, but I'm glad she's still there.  She just makes me laugh, it's like someone dropped Lucy into the jungle.

• Like 4
  • LOL 6
8 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I could totally see camps open up to train would-be players, a la American Ninja Warrior.

Hearing "I built my own obstacles" twice in this episode made me think of Mutant Ninja Warriors, too. We're now way beyond "I practiced making fire" or "I got a book on edible plants of Fiji." Hopefully, it got the Survivor producers scrambling to come up with something we haven't seen for 20 seasons straight before they hauled out the used props to set up for the same challenges for the rest of this season. How is it that they can keep coming up with new lame advantages but not new challenges? (Now if we could just get people going on The Amazing Race to learn how to swim or drive a stick. . . ).

• Like 13

The producers really need to go back to basics for future seasons.  Contestants are calling the challenges "games" which implies Survivor has become more of a carnival than a surviving in the wilderness experiment.  I want survivors to practice fire, swimming, etc. as they convey the 'idea' of surviving (and the name of the show) whereas practicing carnival games is exactly that-practicing carnival games.  Although I like the birdcage idol, that innovation does not make up for the fact that everyone seems to know exactly which carnival games will be making an appearance and have planned for them.

I liked Helen, but I have a feeling that Carson was happy to target her as she was really smart and he obviously wants to be the most smartest person ever! to appear on Survivor.  Her abilities threatened him so he went with the pair that was targeting her.  Maybe Yam Yam felt the same as he stated she was 'too smart,' so maybe he felt a bit threatened as well.

Matthew wanted some kind of snowflake trophy for being the most specialist snowflake for taking off his sling (which he only had due to his desire to show off in front of some of his other tribemates by climbing to the top of rocky hill) in order to win the challenge.

Carolyn is a lot-and they are really using her for entertainment purposes.  I think her tribemates did not consider that she was the one who found the idol because they didn't think she could keep it a secret.

So far I really like Danny (who is discounted by his team because he is not lazy!?!? [it was interesting that one of his tribemates self-identified as queen of lazyness or something like that]).  

Even though Survivor has a better marriage record than the Bachelor, stop pushing the showmances-what do you think this is...Big Brother?

• Like 6

I have to think there was some editing in play during Carolyn and the birdcage. I get that we're supposed to see her as an amiable goof at this point, but I can't imagine her tribe overlooked her completely. I suspect the "everyone but her" and the "open the birdcage" items happened less in proximity than we were shown...but I'm here for it in the "reality tv" sense of editing real people into a compelling show. 

That said...Carolyn, for generation(s) parents have lied to their children about how the Tooth Fairy still recovers lost teeth. That story went from amiable goof to my body language being so closed Yam Yam could read it. 

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Lantern7 said:

I'm okay with "superfans." If you can afford a 3D printer, why not print out classic Survivor puzzles? It's not like they're going to stop making those and foisting them out on players. Carson is not only on a quest to win, but also to out-Christian Christian. And I'm good with Matthew as well. If more players were allowed on the show on any given season, I could totally see camps open up to train would-be players, a la American Ninja Warrior.

Carson was clearly cast to be the Second Coming of Christian Hubicki, and yes, I am aware of how weird that sounds. And yes, 18-year-old me would have been crushing big time; as I gravitated towards cute nerdboys with glasses. But the difference between Carson and Christian is that Carson is trying too hard to be the Second Coming of Christian while not getting at all that Christian just went about being Christian, rather than talking about it all the time. He always seemed blissfully unaware of just how funny he came across, whereas Carson, being clearly very much a creature of the social media generation, seems always to be aware of How Will I Come Across on TV.

Edited by brilliantbreakfast
  • Like 15

Yea, Helen going because she's 'too smart' felt a little icky. I think Carson chose Yam Yam and Carolyn because he thinks he's smarter than them and was probably threatened by Helen in that way. I am not a fan of Carson. I was really hoping Carolyn and Yam Yam would turn the tables and get him out but it wouldn't have worked anyway.

I am not letting go of my bad vibes for Kane entirely yet but I liked him in this episode. Brandon being so affronted by Kane voting for him was annoying. And if he really didn't believe he was getting any votes then he's an idiot.

I loved Claire's reactions to Matt/Frannie but I wasn't a fan of her saying that it was going to hurt Frannie. I mean, typical but gross.

I already borderline hate Matthew. On the flipside, Carolyn is emerging as a fave.

Danny is giving me Tony vibes but like no where near as annoying and awful lol.

• Like 8
  • Useful 1
13 minutes ago, peachmangosteen said:

Yea, Helen going because she's 'too smart' felt a little icky. I think Carson chose Yam Yam and Carolyn because he thinks he's smarter than them and was probably threatened by Helen in that way. I am not a fan of Carson. I was really hoping Carolyn and Yam Yam would turn the tables and get him out but it wouldn't have worked anyway.

Oh, I agree. I don't think it had anything to do with Carson having a fun and wacky side (where was that, then? We haven't seen it), so it just adds to me being put off by Carson. I want to assume my gut is wrong but he just really bothers me.

• Like 4
  • Useful 1

Getting the feeling I'm the only one who hits mute when Carolyn is speaking.

I don't find her charming or amusing in the slightest, but that's the joy of the Survivor it takes all sorts of personalities to make a season.

• Like 5
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2
13 hours ago, LadyChatts said:

I didn't like how Jeff seemed to call Claire out at the challenge for sitting out again.  

Thing was, Claire kinda called HERSELF out before Jiffy ever said a word:

Jeff: All right, Soka - you have one extra person, you’re going to have to sit one person out.  Who’s it going to be?

(Short burst of mumbling among Soka members, then Claire raises hand)

Claire: I’ll do it again.

Jeff: Claire is going to sit out again.  Is that a volunteer, or is that a Tribe decision?

Claire: Uh… both?

I don’t think Peachy would’ve followed up so tight if Claire’s “again” hadn’t already emphasized the obvious in the first place, but that’s purely MHO.

Gotta ask, though - and I’m pretty sure this same question came up for discussion a season or two back - when did TPTB drop the rule about not being able to sit out the same person in back-to-back challenges?

• Like 8
  • Useful 1

Matt and Frannie.  Adorable. 

Carolyn is really growing on me.  I didn't see that coming.

My early fav is the firefighter because he's hustling and he gives good confessionals.

I know it's early, but I'm REALLY enjoying Survivor this season and I haven't been able to say that for awhile. 

• Like 3
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, peachmangosteen said:

I am not letting go of my bad vibes for Kane entirely yet but I liked him in this episode. Brandon being so affronted by Kane voting for him was annoying. And if he really didn't believe he was getting any votes then he's an idiot.

I loved Claire's reactions to Matt/Frannie but I wasn't a fan of her saying that it was going to hurt Frannie. I mean, typical but gross.

I already borderline hate Matthew. On the flipside, Carolyn is emerging as a fave.

The Claire thing. I get the sense that she want to keep Frannie, and that she’s more worried at how the showmance will impact Frannie than how it will impact Matt, who I’m not convinced she wants to work with. Maybe that’s wishful thinking though.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
(edited)
50 minutes ago, storyskip said:

I don't find her charming or amusing in the slightest, but that's the joy of the Survivor it takes all sorts of personalities to make a season.

I am 1000% in your camp.  I do not enjoy watching her train wreck of a personality, messed up look, bizarre faces, odd ramblings, and I hate her shorts.  I cannot wait till she's gone, but I fear she'll be kept around for "good TV" and as a non-threat.  I hit mute when Carolyn speaks.

Edited by MerBearHou
  • Like 8
  • Useful 1
  • Love 2

So Carolyn has the idol from the birdcage, but she has mistaken the real one for the fake one.  She never read the papers inside the pouch and so she thinks the coin one is real and the bead one is fake.  It's the other way around.  It'll be fun when she goes to play it.

• Like 4
  • Mind Blown 1
  • Applause 1
  • Useful 1
  • LOL 3

I'm still having a hard time finding someone to root for. Ordinarily I'd favor the "nerd" types like Carson, but he's not as smart as he thinks he is, at least when it comes to other people. Or Matt, but his showmance with Frannie feels a little too Big Brother. I want to like Matthew but I have a hard time getting past his dumb rock climbing moment. 

We got to see more of Caroline this episode, she is clearly a producer favorite, and while I've softened to her just a tad, she is still a lot. There's a very good chance I'm going to get sick of her. And I'm annoyed by people who cry a lot in this game. She burst into tears because she didn't know who to trust. Uh, welcome to Survivor, lady.

Kane got thrown under the bus but could have easily thrown everyone else under the bus by saying "I voted for you because everyone else told me they were voting for you, and then chickened out I guess." I mean I guess he sort of did but he didn't present his case well enough for Brandon.

Everyone else is just sort of there.

So Carolyn has the idol from the birdcage, but she has mistaken the real one for the fake one.  She never read the papers inside the pouch and so she thinks the coin one is real and the bead one is fake.  It's the other way around.  It'll be fun when she goes to play it.

I thought that too at first but now I'm not so sure. Brandon got an idol that looked the same as the other idols made from beads, plus I guess some kind of medallion? Danny got a bead idol and a silver coin. His instructions said the coin was worthless. Carolyn never read her instructions, at least on camera, but in her TH said the silver coin was the idol and the thing made of beads was worthless. Maybe they switched it up to confuse everyone?

The thing is . . . Brandon read his clue out loud so everyone on Ratu knows the medallion is fake. Once they start mixing up tribes word is going to get around that everyone got an idol plus a fake. I think this "twist" is going to end up being another dud.

And can they still call it a "hidden" immunity idol? It's right out there in plain sight.

• Useful 1
6 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

Kane got thrown under the bus but could have easily thrown everyone else under the bus by saying "I voted for you because everyone else told me they were voting for you, and then chickened out I guess." I mean I guess he sort of did but he didn't present his case well enough for Brandon.

Damn, that's exactly what Kane should have said. Right in front of them, too. That would have been awesome.

1 hour ago, storyskip said:

Carolyn is too much for me, but as long as her...demonstrativeness stays mostly friendly and inwardly-directed, I'm ok with her overall. If we get a smug confessional from her at the beginning of the next episode about how they stuck it to Helen, that will change.

2 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

True, Danny didn't go "woo hoo! woo hoo! woo hoo!" during his run through the jungle.

4 hours ago, Haleth said:

I'm surprised more contestants haven't encountered snakes while poking around for idols.  I always hold my breath when they reach into holes around rocks and trees.

I know!  I feel like we've said that here a bunch of times over the years - this is the first time we got to see it happen!

1 hour ago, Nashville said:

Gotta ask, though - and I’m pretty sure this same question came up for discussion a season or two back - when did TPTB drop the rule about not being able to sit out the same person in back-to-back challenges?

That rule is in effect when they have a separate reward and immunity challenge, but not when they are combined for some reason.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Nashville said:

Thing was, Claire kinda called HERSELF out before Jiffy ever said a word:

Jeff: All right, Soka - you have one extra person, you’re going to have to sit one person out.  Who’s it going to be?

(Short burst of mumbling among Soka members, then Claire raises hand)

Claire: I’ll do it again.

Jeff: Claire is going to sit out again.  Is that a volunteer, or is that a Tribe decision?

Claire: Uh… both?

I don’t think Peachy would’ve followed up so tight if Claire’s “again” hadn’t already emphasized the obvious in the first place, but that’s purely MHO.

They didn’t drop the rule.  It has only ever applied on an episode by episode basis, when there were two challenges in the same episode.  

• Like 3
12 hours ago, HurricaneVal said:

Ew.  Showmance.  I'm never a fan.  But I am a little charmed by their geeky giggles.

Since we are now on season 44, Matt and Frannie have to know that a showmance is great as long as they don't flaunt it in everyone's faces with the giggling, inside jokes, or spending all of their time together.  I suppose they're both so geeked to have found their counterpart but it bugs me when the people involved forget that they are playing a game.

3 hours ago, peachmangosteen said:

This!

36 minutes ago, mertensia said:

What was up with the chess pieces?

I wondered that as well...it almost felt like the players were supposed to pick them up or move them somehow?  That was one cluttered voting booth.

I am on the fence with Carolyn - she had flashes of smart strategy, and then later she fell on the ground and writhed in front of Carson and Yam Yam and my first thought was, Carson's going to change his mind and try and vote her out, for sure.  I was floored when Carolyn didn't play her idol at TC, I never saw Helen being the one voted out - but I also didn't know much at all about Helen.

I am also floored that it's only episode two and I remember so many players' names and tribes.  That hasn't happened for me in years.  The past several seasons haven't been interesting enough for me to pay close attention, lol.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, mertensia said:

What was up with the chess pieces?

I think it's supposed to go along with the entire "Medieval" theme this season.  Hence, the sword and shield as the immunity idols, the coat of armor at tribal council, etc.  I don't how it is supposed to tie to being marooned on a deserted island, which has been the underlying theme since day one.  Almost as though they substituted the tribes with the middle ages.

• Like 5
  • Useful 2
16 hours ago, Tango64 said:

“I built this puzzle in my backyard and practiced.” “I 3-d printed this puzzle and practiced.”

Or come up with some new puzzles!

• Like 8
6 minutes ago, OldWiseOne said:
16 hours ago, Tango64 said:

Or come up with some new puzzles!

What they really need are puzzles/mazes that look like the overused ones, but actually function differently in some diabolically subtle way. So those who have practiced them are left staring in befuddlement, all "why isn't this working???"

4 hours ago, storyskip said:

Not just muted but eyes covered as well. She is annoying just to look at.

• Like 3

I like Carson.  His preparation for the game - spreadsheets, 3-D printed puzzles, withholding this and other information about himself - are to be lauded.  I like people that put the work in up front.

He's young, though, and lacks subtlety.  His rambling, pretending to not be smart answer at Tribal Council was too obviously a put-on.  I agree that you never want to say anything of real substance at tribal council, but you shouldn't overplay your game.

• Like 6

I love Matty and Frannie. They give me Christian/Gabby vibes except the latter was strictly platonic and this one is leaning towards a showmance.

Carolyn getting the idols mixed up (thinking the coin is real and the beads are fake) has SO much potential for chaos down the road:

- she gives the fake (real) idol to someone to trick them, they play it and are immune.

- she plays the real (fake) idol for herself and is idolled out with the fake (real) idol in her pocket.

- if she DOES give the fake (real) idol to someone to trick them, after it's revealed that Carolyn's real (fake) idol is fake, they're going to know she tried to trick them with a fake.

JUST DELICIOUS CHAOS ALL AROUND. Chaos Kass would be proud!

This episode was a lot of fun.

Carson reminds me a bit of Tom Holland mixed with Michael Reeves (a YouTuber).

• Like 3

I like Carson, too. I was sorry Helen, who I also liked and saw a lot of potential in, was their choice over the one with the advantage. Is Sarah  more of an asset in challenges or something? But maybe not knowing what she had or hadn't picked up on her trip out to wherever factored in. I think Carson being a keen young student rocket scientist means it is unlikely he was actually threatened by Helen being "too smart" - but I do think his bad "body reading" skills factored into it, as he declared Helen had the idol c/- her tightly folded arms.

Carolyn sure is an unusual person, but I really enjoyed her confessionals this episode and was grateful she didn't fall out of that high tree when she encountered the snake, as that would have been yet another casualty of this weird cast. She sure spoke the truth when she exclaimed over the extreme clutter of the voting booth. I hope she reads her bits of paper eventually, studies them, and does not screw up her idol use.

• Like 5