Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

On 10/29/2021 at 7:01 PM, 853fisher said:

FJ was an instaget for me, although I hadn't previously known what specifically "the shores of Tripoli" was referring to, so I definitely enjoyed that.

I'm big on naval history from the Napoleonic era and I'm familiar with the first verse of the Marine hymn, so this FJ seemed tailor-made for me.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:02 PM, Browncoat said:

I also got the TS of John Quincy Adams, James Madison, Urberville, and pampas.

I got all of those, too.  I was yelling "The Pampas, where the gauchos and their pants are!" at the tv - it's a joke between me and my best friend going back decades.

On 10/29/2021 at 8:10 PM, shapeshifter said:

I did get the $2K TS of Van Allen belt.

I debated about it being the Van Allen belt, but I knew it wasn't the Kuiper belt so I went with Van Allen.

On 10/30/2021 at 9:23 AM, Clanstarling said:

I'd love to hear the space force song. I wonder if it will sound like Star Trek's theme? 😉

Oh, I hope so!

On 10/31/2021 at 11:36 PM, saber5055 said:

I'd think Victor's name would have been spelled Viktor, but then, what do I know.

Well, Mary Shelley was English, so . . . 

17 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Mackinac Bridge TS surprised me a bit,

I almost said Mackinac because of the island, but then wasn't sure and since I don't know much about Michigan's geography I didn't answer at all.  Utah I got because of Arches National Park; Google tells me that's not where Rainbow Bridge is, though, but still Utah anyway.

I had a pretty good night Monday.  I was a little disappointed that no one knew that the Calvert family coat of arms makes up the flag of Maryland, especially after the Mason Dixon line clue not that long ago, but not entirely surprised either.  And no, Baltimore would not have been acceptable as that was the title given to the patriarch of the family by Charles I, not the family name.

FJ was dead simple for me given the date, although I was thinking of the part left on the moon, not the section jettisoned into space after re-docking with Columbia.

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was a little surprised that no one guessed The Fly

I had no idea that was the name of the main character in The Fly.  I did get Brahmins and Suez Canal, though.

• Love 1

I knew Monday's FJ! related to the moon landing.  I can tell you where I watched it and what I was wearing but I cannot tell  you the name of the expedition or whatever it's called.

• Love 2
4 minutes ago, PaulaO said:

I knew Monday's FJ! related to the moon landing.  I can tell you where I watched it and what I was wearing but I cannot tell  you the name of the expedition or whatever it's called.

Apollo 11?  I will now look it up to see if I'm an idiot or not.

Edit:  Well, this is not definitive as to whether or not I'm an idiot, but it was Apollo 11, so I did know something.

Edited by Katy M
  • Love 4
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I realized it's November and I can't get that damn Edmund Fitzgerald (and the gales of November) song out of my head.

Oh man, that was last season they kept with the Edmund Fitzgerald clues on this show. Thanks for the memories! Maybe there will be more Mackinac Island/Grand Hotel/Yooper clues coming.

Side note:The Musser family owned the Grand Hotel for 85 years. Dan and Emily Musser sponsored some big-winning terriers through their show careers, Scotties and Westies, shown by a talented Michigan-based terrier man, a person I really looked up to.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I realized it's November and I can't get that damn Edmund Fitzgerald (and the gales of November) song out of my head.

The 46th anniversary of the sinking is next Wednesday (Nov 10, 1975). Let's have a sing-a-long!!!

• Useful 2
  • LOL 7
12 hours ago, CraftyHazel said:

I sat here, Michigan born and raised, and felt smug and Superior (as in the lake…yes, my Michigander puns are showing) that I knew that and none of them did.  But opening in November 1957 and being 5 miles long, well, geez, what else could it be??  (Probably a half dozen other things, unless you’re a dyed-in-the-wool Michigander!)

As I am!!! 😉

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I realized it's November and I can't get that damn Edmund Fitzgerald (and the gales of November) song out of my head. Wanna trade mental jukeboxes?

To each his/her own, but I love that song.

• Love 3
16 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

To each his/her own, but I love that song.

I do too, but it does come up a lot on Jeopardy and then it ends up stuck in my head for days.  That's better than having a song I hate stuck in my head, but still, not something I want to hear over and over and over for days on end.  Which it will be now.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 4

When was the last time there was an Edmund Fitzgerald clue?    I feel like we are due.

I don't mind the song, but it came out when I was 15 and I heard it a lot.  The radio stations in Canada have a Canadian content rule where a certain percentage of all music played must be Canadian.  Back in the 70's we heard a lot of Gordon Lightfoot.

I couldn't remember if the bridge was Mackinaw or Mackinac. 

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

When was the last time there was an Edmund Fitzgerald clue?    I feel like we are due.

The date of the wreck was November 10, 1975. Stay tuned.

ETA: Oops, I see that illdoc already posted this fact.

Edited by GreekGeek
  • Love 1
11 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

Back in the 70's we heard a lot of Gordon Lightfoot.

Back in the 70s we heard a lot of crap, provided at least one person involved in writing, producing, singing or catering the recording session (or a relative of theirs) had at one time lived 5 minutes or longer or perhaps stayed overnight in a hotel in Canada .  Actually, they probably play a lot of crap today too, but there's a reason why a lot of Canadians have satellite radio and/or Spotify.

On topic, I am enjoying the current champion, but am somewhat anxious to go back to cliffhanger games and new champions, though at least Tyler's games are not all runaways.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I do too, but it does come up a lot on Jeopardy and then it ends up stuck in my head for days.  That's better than having a song I hate stuck in my head, but still, not something I want to hear over and over and over for days on end.  Which it will be now.

I agree; I like the song, just not stuck on my mental jukebox.

• Love 1

The J! Archive shows the last two clues related to the Edmund Fitzgerald in February ("which lake did it sink in" was a triple stumper) and last November (someone filled in "The Wreck of _____" with a hint about late fall wind on the Great Lakes).  Let us remain vigilant!

In other news, remember when we were wondering whether we'd ever have a contestant who cleared 3 or 4 wins again?  Pepperidge Farms remembers.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Ugh.

77% / 47% / 61%

First round wasn't too bad; I Ran Reality TV and Geographic Idioms, missed one Facebook Reaction and Fairy Tale. Also missed one in Hit Parade. We won't talk about the rest of Double Jeopardy.

There were 9 TSes in the second round and 1 in the first; I didn't get a single one. Got two DDs (penny and serpentine; couldn't think of Aleppo) but no FJ (I also said Copernicus).

I contest the "pond" answer. The clue said "this slangy expression for travel between" the UK and the US. The expression is "across the pond," is it not?

I like Tyler; glad he's still winning, but if he hadn't I was rooting for Chuck.

3 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

The date of the wreck was November 10, 1975. Stay tuned.

I was 40 days old...

I wish I had been there for the Play Titles category. Sad that no one knew The Heidi ChroniclesThe Rose Tattoo, et al. For a few moments I thought it was going to be dead silence throughout that category, like the football category mentioned a few pages back.

I thought Copernicus was too obvious, so I guessed Tycho Brahe. 🪐

• Love 4

I was quite certain I was wrong, but said Copernicus for lack of a better answer.

I got the missed clues of Roberts, United Way, serpentine, Heidi, Aden, and Mexican-American War.

I got the entire categories of fairy tales, geo idioms and adjectives right.  

I had a great night.  Made money even getting FJ wrong.

• Love 2

I knew who they were going for in FJ, but I could not dredge his name from my feeble brain, and just went with Copernicus, even though I knew it was wrong.  Boo hiss.

The only TS I got were United Way, serpentine, Tattoo, and Roberts.

I was rooting for Chuck.  I'm a little jealous of how great his hair looked.

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I was quite certain I was wrong, but said Copernicus for lack of a better answer.

I, OTOH, confidently declared "Copernicus!" to my visiting daughter, and told her That is what we call an "instaget."
Moments later she cheekily declared, "Instafail!"

• LOL 19
10 hours ago, NoReally said:

Instead of "Eagle" I said "LEM" (the lunar lander called Eagle). Think they would've accepted that, or were they after the thing's actual name?

I think no, because LEM is generic and they wanted the specific craft that was last seen on that date.

11 minutes ago, Katy M said:

Well, I confidently said Copernicus. At least you had self awareness ;)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
56 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

The J! Archive shows the last two clues related to the Edmund Fitzgerald in February ("which lake did it sink in" was a triple stumper)

Why, that was the great lake they call Gitche Gumee of course.

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
5 hours ago, 3 is enough said:

The radio stations in Canada have a Canadian content rule where a certain percentage of all music played must be Canadian.  Back in the 70's we heard a lot of Gordon Lightfoot.

And we in Detroit got our top 40 AM radio from CKLW in Windsor,  so plenty of Gordon, Joni  Mitchell,  Neil Young, Guess Who, BTO...not that there’s anything wrong with that 

• Love 6

In regard to the isthmus if panama, everyone should check out David mccluoughs book the path between the seas and at least read the part about how the US conspired to overthrow the he Panamanian government to get the canal built.  It's pretty shady and kind of amusing too.   

The whole book though is thick in detail, far too much than necessary.  I couldn't finish it. Wading through lots of tedious stuff for the interesting parts. 

• Love 1

The Heidi TS surprised me, as did Euphrates after Tigris was ruled out.

I thought I was going to bomb fairy tales, since they were read to me back way before an age I have memories of and I avoid children like the plague so I've never read them to anyone, but I knew three. 

Not using Facebook, I was apprehensive about that category, too, until I quickly realized I simply needed to take the text on its own and then, if needed, confirm my guess could be a reaction emoji, and got all of them.

I also knew all but one reality TV show even though I've only watched The Real World.

So I did well in the first round despite the categories, missing just those three.

In DJ, though, I only ran geographic idioms, missing three in 60s, two in plays, and one each in the rest.

No FJ for me, either.  I knew it wasn't Copernicus, but I had no idea who it was.

• Love 1

I was shocked that they were so drama-illiterate. I don’t even go to the theater, and I knew all of those plays.

+1 for Copernicus! Not because I thought it was right, but because he was the only ancient astronomer I could dredge up at that moment. Then again, that kind of brain freeze pays off for me surprisingly often. 

• Love 2

I also thought Copernicus for Final Jeopardy I ran Tony Award Winners and knew serpentine. Someone must have watched Schoolhouse Rock when they were younger because I squealed when I saw Unpack your Adjectives.

• LOL 2
5 hours ago, bad things are bad said:

And we in Detroit got our top 40 AM radio from CKLW in Windsor,  so plenty of Gordon, Joni  Mitchell,  Neil Young, Guess Who, BTO...not that there’s anything wrong with that 

Not to mention Bill Amesbury!  🎶Hey Virginia, touch me like ya do!🎶

• LOL 1
9 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The J! Archive shows the last two clues related to the Edmund Fitzgerald in February ("which lake did it sink in" was a triple stumper) and last November (someone filled in "The Wreck of _____" with a hint about late fall wind on the Great Lakes).  Let us remain vigilant!

I’m curious if they will break up the title into three categories, as they sometimes do. “The Wreck” ( famous disasters) “Of the Edmund” (real and fictional Edmunds) “Fitzgerald” ( on F. Scott Fitzgerald).

Or would that be offensive to the families of the dead?

1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

Instead of “Heidi”, I shouted, “Vagina!”, then immediately realized those were monologues, not chronicles, and before I could switch gears and come up with the correct response, Mayim did.

So did I!

• LOL 2
  • Love 4
16 hours ago, bankerchick said:

On topic, I am enjoying the current champion, but am somewhat anxious to go back to cliffhanger games and new champions, though at least Tyler's games are not all runaways.

I kind of hate that I'm also anxious to go back to frequent changes of champions, because I like Tyler and he plays a great game. It's just so weird that so far every contender after Matt has qualified for the TOC. (Tyler did last night, right?)

12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I wish I had been there for the Play Titles category. Sad that no one knew The Heidi ChroniclesThe Rose Tattoo, et al. For a few moments I thought it was going to be dead silence throughout that category, like the football category mentioned a few pages back.

I got most of the plays, but stuck on Rose Tattoo for some reason.

Since we always guess one or two old astronomers, and Galileo was in the clue, we both confidently went with Copernicus. Surprise!

Afterwards, I read up on Kepler - and Tycho isn't far off the mark. So now, maybe I'll have Kepler in a triad of old astronomers. I probably won't remember Tycho - though know knowing who he is explains why I've seen that name in a number of sci-fi stories (specifically The Expanse and Tycho Station).

• Love 1
13 hours ago, opus said:

Add me to the Copernicus Club

Me as well. Seems I was in good company for my misses. 

3 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Instead of “Heidi”, I shouted, “Vagina!”, then immediately realized those were monologues, not chronicles, and before I could switch gears and come up with the correct response, Mayim did.

Me too. 
Overall I enjoyed playing, but didn’t do well. I did get Aleppo and Euphrates. 

On the Palindrome category I said Wow versus the correct answer of Aha. Would that answer be acceptable? 

• Love 1
5 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

On the Palindrome category I said Wow versus the correct answer of Aha. Would that answer be acceptable? 

Wow was the accepted answer. I'd think aha (used to express satisfaction, triumph, or surprise) might also be accepted. The clue was, "A palindromic exclamation of amazement."

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Wow was the accepted answer. I'd think aha (used to express satisfaction, triumph, or surprise) might also be accepted. The clue was, "A palindromic exclamation of amazement."

I said 'Aha' and was wrong because the answer was 'Wow', I just looked up 'aha' in a emoji search engine for Facebook, it did not return anything so I do not believe it would have been accepted as it did not fit the Facebook part of the clue.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

Me five, as pertains to the “vagina chronicles” club. Now I don’t feel completely wacky. Or at least not for this reason. ;)

The seven reaction options on Facebook are like, love, care, haha, wow, sad, and angry, each represented by a little emoji. Unfortunately I agree “aha” is out because it doesn’t fit that category. I remember when it was a like or nothing. The more I learn about how Facebook parses these expanded reactions, the less interested I am in leaving any of them, but that’s a whole can of worms, so I’ll leave it there.

• Love 3
16 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I also said Brahe.  I don't know a lot of non-modern astronomers' names.  I've heard of Keppler but wouldn't have pulled him out of my brain if my life had depended on it.

I was sorry to see Chuck lose.  Not that I don't like Tyler, but I found Chuck quite attractive.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of Roberts, United Way, serpentine, Heidi, Aden, and Mexican-American War.

I got serpentine, all the misses in the play category, Aden and the War with Mexico.  Seems like none of the contestants are into plays.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I was rooting for Chuck.  I'm a little jealous of how great his hair looked.

Me too.

13 hours ago, Bastet said:

The Heidi TS surprised me, as did Euphrates after Tigris was ruled out.

Yeah, when it comes to rivers in that part of the Middle East, if it's not the Tigris, it's the Euphrates.  If it's farther west in the region, it's the Jordan.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, dgpolo said:

So I do not believe it would have been accepted as it did not fit the Facebook part of the clue.

2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Unfortunately I agree “aha” is out because it doesn’t fit that category.

I agree; I forgot about the Facebook part of the category.

• Love 1
7 hours ago, Browncoat said:

6 hours ago, GrannySmith said:

So did I!

Me, three, four, five, six, I think!  Which turned out to be mildly embarrassing, as I watch Jeopardy with my 97-year-old mother.

• LOL 7

I loved the clue about "Clue," one of my favorite movies. I've always thought it was too bad the multiple endings gimmick didn't work. The movie was pretty badly reviewed in general, but its inconsistent marketing can't have helped. The three endings were referred to by letters, and to take the Bay Area as an example, while the big opening day ad made clear which was playing where, not every theater's individual listings did.

Paramount also apparently didn't identify the endings to critics in a consistent way, so even if they had liked the movie, they wouldn't have been in a position to suggest one ending to try first. Most people, it seems, just stayed home instead of guessing. Now it's usually shown with all three endings separated by intertitles.  (As an aside, of the 23 theaters in the ad, only 2 survive today, with a 3rd on the cusp of being resurrected.  The shift toward big multiplexes happened later here than many other places, but when the time came, things got ugly fast.)

Anyway, in FJ, I would have guessed correctly, but thought I was wrong because I couldn't picture writing on any version I'd seen.  It turns out to have been barely visible, written in pencil on one of them.  I was also very pleased with myself for remembering Cairo, Illinois, about which I know little except that I think it's mentioned in passing in "Show Boat" or something.  I was disappointed it turned out to be Carthage.  Oh well!  Win some, lose some.

(Image in spoiler tag below just because it's quite large and could be obnoxious, especially on a mobile device)

Spoiler

141177364_2510770102550063_2565542347040274046_n.jpg

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 4
  • Love 1

67% / 47% / 56%

Well, this week isn't getting any better. Didn't get FJ but I felt dumb when they told us the answer. Got the TS of Venus (was surprised no one got that) and the missed DD of gravitational waves.

The only show I've seen in the TV theme lyrics category was Cheers; I also got New Girl but only because I knew the girl in question was named Jess. The others...nada.

As I was setting up my scorecard I heard on the news that Aaron Rodgers tested positive for covid. :(

I have a butterfly chair!

Sorry to see Tyler go, but I liked Tony.

• Love 3