Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

6 hours ago, MrAtoz said:

Or unless they watched the "Spectre of the Gun" episode of Star Trek😀

"Who's your huckleberry?" "Why Spock, of course!"

Wyatt Earp was born in a town 45 minutes south of me. The sign commemorating this event says nothing of his siblings, although there were four. Go 45 minutes east of me and you'll be where Ronald Reagan was born.

Note that all of them eventually left Illinois, smart moves all the way around.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, ABay said:

I probably wouldn't have got the Lord of the Flies clue anyway (never read it, never saw it, don't want to do either), but the reference to Lost threw me and I thought the answer was related to that. 

Me too.  I didn't have time to get off that before someone onstage responded.  I think I might have gotten it otherwise, although as @kathyk2 and @30Helens said, Piggy would have definitely given it to me, while Simon was a little vaguer.  I did read it in the late 2000s for school.  I recently culled books from childhood since my parents are downsizing, but I don't remember whether this one ended up in the "keep" or "donate" piles.  That's probably a sign it should have ended up in "donate" if it didn't.  I recall that it was a fair read and prompted interesting discussion, but haven't felt much of an instinct to revisit it or pass it on.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I must have dreamed about Jeopardy! last night, because I woke up thinking about the brilliant (?) idea that they should start putting the first round DD in a fixed place - say the top left clue.  That way players would have to strategize about not picking it too early (with too little to wager), not letting their opponents get to it..  Hmm.  Interesting to think about but  I don't think I'll be submitting that one to the Suggestions! department.

Sorry to derail the current season discussion.  I wondered if I should put this in Small Talk but technically it is about Jeopardy!

There is a thread here called "What Is...An Improvement to Jeopardy!" It hasn't been used in more than two years, but it does exist. You're right that if it's about the show itself, it doesn't technically belong in the Small Talk thread.  Here's a link:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/54863-what-isan-improvement-to-jeopardy/?tab=comments#comment-5420831

• Useful 2
  • Love 1

I read Lord of the Flies while a schoolboy but not as part of an assignment; just because I was an avid reader and it sounded like a story I would enjoy.  And I did.  I did not get the clue.  It's been so many years since I did read it, I did not remember a character named Simon, and the Lost reference definitely spun my head round.  It would not surprise me to hear that persons younger than 'boomers and perhaps GenXers may not be familiar with it.  There have been a LOT more books published since I was a schoolboy, so competition for space on school reading lists is stiffer than ever.

Meanwhile, like a few others, I guessed FJ as soon as I saw the category. If an instaget means you know the answer as soon as you see the clue, then what come before that?  Honestly, I think having limited knowledge of Supreme Court cases (or category X to be more general) is often a big help in avoiding overthinking.  In fact, overthinking almost did do me in on this one.  In my mind, there are only three 19th century SCOTUS decisions that were so impactful, I would expect people to know - Marbury v. Madison, Scott, and Plessy v. Ferguson (which I double-checked afterward does make it into the category by the skin of its teeth (1896)).  When the clue was revealed, I realized that the latter two decisions were both relevant, dealing with the idea of all [people] being created equal, and wondered if Scott was a trap.  I kept my answer, but I still think Plessy is a decent guess for someone who hasn't actually read the decisions and doesn't know what is quoted in them, as I don't, but rather knows the case summaries, as I do.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, ProudMary said:

There is a thread here called "What Is...An Improvement to Jeopardy!" It hasn't been used in more than two years, but it does exist. You're right that if it's about the show itself, it doesn't technically belong in the Small Talk thread.  Here's a link:

https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/54863-what-isan-improvement-to-jeopardy/?tab=comments#comment-5420831

Oh you're right - I had forgotten about some of those older threads.  If I ever think of an actual improvement and not just some wild dream/nightmare, I'll have to check in there!

• Love 1

Some of the commentary about "Lord of the Flies" and Golding makes me look back to the FJ question about "Just So Stories" and Kipling several days ago.  I admit I had never heard of them, even in passing.  I've read some pieces about the passing of Enid Blyton from the canon for young children in the UK, about which I really can't comment because I haven't read them, other than to say that she was once very big and now she isn't.  Perhaps something similar happened to Kipling, making knowledge of this particular book more generational?

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

Some of the commentary about "Lord of the Flies" and Golding makes me look back to the FJ question about "Just So Stories" and Kipling several days ago.  I admit I had never heard of them, even in passing.  I've read some pieces about the passing of Enid Blyton from the canon for young children in the UK, about which I really can't comment because I haven't read them, other than to say that she was once very big and now she isn't.  Perhaps something similar happened to Kipling, making knowledge of this particular book more generational?

"Just So Stories" was an instaget for me, but I don't know exactly why, especially since my memory has always been randomly selective. Looking them up now in Wikipedia, I remember that in grade school we had an assignment to write our own "Just So Story," although I cannot recall which animal I wrote about, but I think it was a very common assignment for a period of time in American (and perhaps British and other?) schools. I think I would have had the assignment some time between 1960-62.

I'm also sure I would have checked the book out from the library for my kids in the 1980s.

It seems Kipling's Just So Stories was reprinted as recently as 2013 and is still commonly held by many libraries:
https://www.worldcat.org/title/just-so-stories/oclc/877912269&referer=brief_results

(There are also e-versions and audiobooks.)

• Love 1
12 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I knew Lord of the Flies, the missed Clipper DD, Eastman, Caine, and match made in heaven. I thought LotF was one of those "everyone reads it in school" books, but I guess not anymore.

I do think many people do know it from reading it in school, but it is something that I would expect at least one of the three J! contestants to know - even if not from school, as part of their prep to be on J! Maybe the wording just threw them, as it did others. There are so many topics/books/plays I never learned about in school, and have zero interest in, but would make an effort to study in the event I were ever on the show (but that would never happen! I don’t have a good enough memory). European history, mythology and classic literature are at the top of my own personal list - I have zero knowledge of or interest in these categories, but they come up often enough. 

7 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I read Lord of the Flies when I was a librarian in a college prep high school in the 90s, which makes me think these contestants were of an age where at least one should have been familiar with it -- and perhaps they were. Even rereading the clue now it jogs nothing in my memory to help me recall that this title is the correct response in the category of DRAFTS (although I am terrible with character names):

• Lost on an island before "Lost", Simon is a bit of a precog in this 1954 novel, foreseeing his own death in an early draft.

And now, looking at the Wikipedia article for Lord of the Flies under the section "Background," I see that there was a fascinating kerfuffle between Golding and the publishers before it was published -- which many middle school or high school readers would not have learned about (and which I certainly didn't know about), and which was necessary knowledge* to answer this clue. It more of an English major's question, IMO. And while it was a $1000 clue in the Jeopardy! Round, I'm thinking a $2000 clue in the Double Jeopardy! Round would have been more appropriate; perhaps the person putting in the first round didn't think beyond it being a "Lord of the Flies" clue; it's more esoteric than that, again, IMO.

But clearly others upthread knew it. So maybe the character name and date of publication was sufficient?

*ETA: Reading replies below, I now see that knowledge of the DRAFT is not necessary knowledge. 

I had no idea about the draft, or that Simon was initially a precog. For me it was one of those clues that could be figured out even without knowing the actual fact in the clue. A Lost-type situation on an island + Simon was enough for me. I’m awful with years 😂

• Love 2
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

Kipling and Blyton both had views that would be considered, let's say, problematic nowadays. I haven't ready Blyton; I dimly recall primary school teachers reading to us from the "Just So Stories." My brother called them the "Just No Stories."

• LOL 2
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What the hell is a "precog"?

Someone with a precognition? I guess I didn’t think too much about it. Maybe there’s a popular culture reference I’m not aware of. 

• Love 1

I'll be watching football tonight, so it's an archive game for me - so, of course, there's an entire word puzzles category I can't see/hear.  Two I got on my own and I'd have recognized "around the clock", but I might have missed two of the them; unless the puzzle really clued me into "night", I'd have probably said "bumpy ride" instead of "bumpy night".  And I've never said "criss-cross applesauce" in my life, so if it needed to be that specific due to the reference to kids, I wouldn't have received credit, because I'd simply call that position "cross-legged". 

The chemotherapy TS surprised me.  The Pat Summitt TS made me sad; she was fantastic.

I loved the Familiar Sounding Trios category, but that's definitely the sort of thing that's harder to do under game conditions than at home.

Other than possibly those two word puzzles, I got everything in the first round other than the horse racing clue in Sports Books. 

I did very well in DJ, too; I ran foods (giving myself credit for honey, as I figure I'd have known it from the picture), history, and epidemiology.  I missed three books, but other than that just one each in OI (the picture would not have helped me get quoits, as I've never heard of it) and songs (I only recognize a few Beatles songs, and that wasn't one of them).

FJ took some thinking, but I got in time, so I had a great game.

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

What the hell is a "precog"?

You need to watch the 19-year-old movie Minority Report, where murderers and other criminals are arrested and sentenced before their crimes are committed. All because of precogs. It's a good movie made better by Tom Cruise and Colin Farrell. Director: Steven Spielberg.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1
  • Love 3
15 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And I've never said "criss-cross applesauce" in my life, so if it needed to be that specific due to the reference to kids, I wouldn't have received credit, because I'd simply call that position "cross-legged". 

I remember using that phrase, adding “spoons in the bowl” so kids put their hands in their laps and not touching each other.

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

The J! Archive is still a wonderful resource, but I can never get the media clue links to go anywhere other than "404 Not Found."  I infer from other posts that it's not just me who can't get them to work, but one of the archive's people often remarks on another board about how many he's had to do on a given day, so I imagine they work for somebody.  I just don't know what I'm doing wrong!

Holly is the author of this first major biography of the actor Ray Bolger, who had a large body of work but is best known as the Scarecrow in "The Wizard of Oz."  It's been on my list for a while, but maybe her appearance was a sign that I ought to hurry up and read it.  Between that and her story about Fred Astaire, she seems to have tastes beyond her years, as I do.  I wouldn't have minded to see her win.

It will be interesting to see how long Jonathan can keep it going.  He doesn't seem to me to have as much knowledge as Matt, and doesn't seem prepared to wager too much either.  But you never can tell how things will go.

3 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

I remember using that phrase, adding “spoons in the bowl” so kids put their hands in their laps and not touching each other.

Back when I was young enough to arrange my legs parallel to the floor and hope to get up easily afterward, they were calling it either "crisscross applesauce" or "Indian style," which I imagine is used less frequently now.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 3
20 minutes ago, Bastet said:

unless the puzzle really clued me into "night", I'd have probably said "bumpy ride" instead of "bumpy night"

The picture looked something like this:

N          G          T

I            H            (only with no blank line between the two rows (can't seem to single-space))

73% / 67% / 69%

J!: Ran This is the Way and Fall into Autumn, missed one Word Puzzle (mostly because I looked up too late and didn't have time to process what I was looking at), two Trios, two Peasants, and three Sports Books.

DJ: Ran nothing. Missed one each in History, Book of Who, and Epidemiology, two each in Foods and Oi, and three in Songs.

FJ: Nope.

Got all three DDs and TSes Crosby, Stills, & Nash; Weird Al Yankovic; aspirin; chemotherapy.

The more I look at him, the more Jonathan reminds me of a Cabbage Patch Kid.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 2
  • Love 1

Geography is not my thing but FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of aspirin and chemotherapy.

And oddly enough I ran the category of way.

Maybe I'm not as bad in geo as I think.

• Love 4
52 minutes ago, Bastet said:

(the picture would not have helped me get quoits, as I've never heard of it)

I've heard of it but I didn't know what it was (other than some sort of game), so the picture didn't help me, either.

56 minutes ago, Bastet said:

And I've never said "criss-cross applesauce" in my life, so if it needed to be that specific due to the reference to kids, I wouldn't have received credit, because I'd simply call that position "cross-legged". 

The image was the words APPLE and SAUCE arranged down and across, crossword-puzzle style.

37 minutes ago, chitowngirl said:

Never heard of that part! That's cute. (We used the no-longer-acceptable "Indian style" when I was a kid... Never heard of criss-cross applesauce until I was an adult). 

36 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

The J! Archive is still a wonderful resource, but I can never get the media clue links to go anywhere other than "404 Not Found."  I infer from other posts that it's not just me who can't get them to work, but one of the archive's people often remarks on another board about how many he's had to do on a given day, so I imagine they work for somebody.  I just don't know what I'm doing wrong!

They've never worked for me, either. I can't imagine they haven't been told they don't work before...

55 minutes ago, Bastet said:

The Pat Summitt TS made me sad; she was fantastic.

That made me sad, too.  I don't even like basketball, but I knew who she was.

Took me a second for FJ, but I got it in plenty of time. 

I also got the TS of Pat Summitt, aspirin, chemotherapy, and  Paradise by the Dashboard Light.  I liked the Trios category, but I couldn't figure them out in time -- given a couple more seconds, I would have at least gotten Crosby, Stills, and Nash.

• Love 3
38 minutes ago, illdoc said:

The picture looked something like this:

N          G          T

I            H            (only with no blank line between the two rows (can't seem to single-space))

I'm going to give myself credit for that one, then.

2 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The image was the words APPLE and SAUCE arranged down and across, crossword-puzzle style.

But, nope, definitely wouldn't have come up with that one.

Thank you both.

• Love 1

I have absolutely zero concept of how big 16600 square miles is, and wasted too much time trying to wrap my brain around it. Seemed obvious in retrospect though!

Once again I had hopes that a challenger would defeat our champ, but then she wagered only $1000 on the DD 🙄

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, secnarf said:

I have absolutely zero concept of how big 16600 square miles is,

Me, either.  I concentrated on the "more than 50 times as large" part, and figured the possession must be quite large.  The only quite large possession I could come up with was Greenland, and then it took me another second to remember who possesses it.

• Love 3
9 minutes ago, secnarf said:

Once again I had hopes that a challenger would defeat our champ, but then she wagered only $1000 on the DD 🙄

Is she had gone all in (TM James) she would have been ahead for FJ and if she had bet like she should have, she would have been the new champ. But noooooo.

I hate to say it but why is almost (almost) every single woman player so passive in betting. I mean,  you are smart enough to get on this show, why don't you play to win it instead of just being another piece of meek spineless cannon fodder. It just bugs me to death, and when I see two women players I figure for sure the man will win. Please, some future female player, prove me wrong.

• Useful 1
  • Love 9
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

You are not doing anything wrong; there is just nothing there with the links. As the daily archivist part of my job is to code the clue with proper link tags even though there is no image in the system.

The dream is to someday add the images, but that is not something that can be done with a wave of the wand. It's a different process to capture/upload the images and beyond what I do for my part in getting the new games done.

On the JBoard I comment about the media clues a lot because they add time to the process. The archivists have access to an OCR (optical character reader) tool that can take a clue's wording as it appears on the show and then copy/paste it in the archive's input system.

It's a great time saver to not have to type each word of a clue and all I have to do for each clue is touch-up such as making word(s) uppercase and adding player/host responses and comments.

Where the work bogs down is media clues as the OCR can't read the lines of smaller type closed-captioning. That has to be done word by word and and the whole clue usually takes 3-4 parts as it appears as the words are said. It's a start/stop kind of thing that slower than a regular clue entry.

I also have to add <> coding tags for a "this" or seen "here" and such. Sometimes it's not as clear where to add the image (or mp3 or mp4) tag and I have to pause to decide the best spot to insert the (non-working) link.

Season 18 (2001-2002) does have working links as the head guy captured all of them when the season ran on GSN.

Hope that gives a little insight to the dreaded 404s.

Edited by WhoisMark
  • Useful 13
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Someone with a precognition? I guess I didn’t think too much about it. Maybe there’s a popular culture reference I’m not aware of. 

Me, neither. I think it was a poorly written clue.

2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

You need to watch the 19-year-old movie Minority Report, where murderers and other criminals are arrested and sentenced before their crimes are committed. All because of precogs. It's a good movie made better by Tom Cruise and Colin Farrell. Director: Steven Spielberg.

So it's a fictional thing. No wonder I didn't get it.

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

Just the TSs of aspirin and chemotherapy for me. I'm sure Matt would have gotten them and most other TSs too. 

For a while I thought this was going to be Jonathan's swan song because the 2 other relatively strong players reminded of the situation when Matt lost.

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

I hate to say it but why is almost (almost) every single woman player so passive in betting. I mean,  you are smart enough to get on this show, why don't you play to win it instead of just being another piece of meek spineless cannon fodder. It just bugs me to death, and when I see two women players I figure for sure the man will win. Please, some future female player, prove me wrong.

Anjolie almost did yesterday. Let's hope.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Perhaps something similar happened to Kipling, making knowledge of this particular book more generational?

I think the problem is that he was a flaming racist, so his work fell out of favor.

--

The aspirin TS made me wonder if any of today's contestants have children. 

I knew Richard Wright, author of Native Son. Was sad no one else did. It's a major work but I guess not out of the Dead White Man catalogue.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3

I have nothing against Jonathan, but I’m more than ready for a new champion. I had high hopes for Erin today. Early in yesterday’s game, I was betting on Anjolie. At least today’s game was not a runaway, and as someone mentioned earlier on this thread, even when Jonathan was ahead at the end, there was often a competitive game for the first part of the competition - not a runaway by the first commercial break, as that poster said.  Still, I am disappointed that Erin didn’t win. 

Unpopular opinion (?) I am liking Mayim more and more. I like her personality and her sense of humor. I could not care less about her off-screen opinions, and I ignore her commercials about brain pills. I just enjoy the energy she brings to the game. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, JMarie99 said:

Unpopular opinion (?) I am liking Mayim more and more. I like her personality and her sense of humor. I could not care less about her off-screen opinions, and I ignore her commercials about brain pills. I just enjoy the energy she brings to the game. 

I agree, but I still want Buzzy.

• Love 11
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Unless you said Portugal. (Saying that for a friend.)

FJ was an instaget for me but then I did start considering Portugal/Brazil.  Fortunately, I stuck with Denmark.

• Love 2
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The more I look at him, the more Jonathan reminds me of a Cabbage Patch Kid.

Yes! I haven’t quite pinned it down— John C. Reilly is in the ballpark but not quite right; I thought Elf-era Will Ferrell for awhile but that’s not right either; then I thought Fortune Feimster. (Sorry, Fortune.) But at least for now, I give the edge to Cabbage Patch Kid.

I don’t know why I don’t like Jonathan. He doesn’t seem like a bad guy, and there’s nothing inherently wrong about the way he’s playing. He just bores me, and trying to identify his doppelgänger at least gives me something to do while he’s onscreen.

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

This has bothered me for YEARS. Once in awhile, a woman with backbone will come along and bet aggressively, but she is a rare species. I don’t get it either. I know there have been numerous studies showing that girls are less likely than boys to raise their hands in the classroom or otherwise take the lead, so this tendency begins at a young age. But these are smart, Jeopardy-caliber women. I expect more.

5 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I agree, but I still want Buzzy.

And I still want Brad. #neverlettingitgo

• Love 5

On 10/20/2021 at 5:45 PM, zoey1996 said:

Earp should have been a bms. Wyatt, Virgil, and Morgan were also at the OK Corral, among other activities.

Agreed.

On 10/20/2021 at 6:31 PM, saber5055 said:

LOL. 19 out of 20 people don't know Wyatt had any brothers much less what their names were, unless they watched Tombstone.

@MrAtoz beat me to the draw. I probably know it from Star Trek too.

On 10/21/2021 at 3:34 AM, MrAtoz said:

Or unless they watched the "Spectre of the Gun" episode of Star Trek😀

Yep. :)

23 hours ago, Katy M said:

That would also mean that the champion always has the opportunity to immediately take it out of play which I find unfair.

But why would the champ want to take it out of contention until they could build up some money to make it profitable.

17 hours ago, secnarf said:

I had no idea about the draft, or that Simon was initially a precog. For me it was one of those clues that could be figured out even without knowing the actual fact in the clue. A Lost-type situation on an island + Simon was enough for me. I’m awful with years 😂

I didn't remember the name Simon, but island and the year was enough for me. Though I'm not sure why I knew the year.

15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

And you beat me to the punch here. 😉

13 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Wow, I guess I am old (and a nurse) but the Reyes Syndrome thing was huge news in the 1970-1980 time frame. Yup, old. I mean I grew up on Aspergum.

I'm old too, and not a nurse, but I very much remember it.

I said "Dredd Scott" before the clue was revealed - so is that an insta-instaget? Of course, I said it because it's the only one I could conjure up in my brain, but I'm taking the win nonetheless.

I did pretty well both Wednesday and Thursday (I'm catching up here, life interrupted Jeopardy watching, but Tivo saves the day). I don't think I ran anything, but came close in a number of categories.

I'm not great on wagering, but I don't really understand why you wouldn't be everything in trying to unseat a champion. Is there that much difference between second and third place that would keep you from trying to take down the champ? I understand it when if the two high scorers could get it wrong and you'd have something left over, but that wasn't the case. Then again, I'm the person most likely to Cliff Claven it.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
12 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

But why would the champ want to take it out of contention until they could build up some money to make it profitable.

Because that's also a strategy.  You don't get the benefit of it, but you make sure that nobody else does either.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, JMarie99 said:

She has definitely been growing on me in the game, just in time for Ken to return in a few weeks.  I still don't think especially highly of her outside the show for various reasons, but as long as she's hosting, her success is the show's, so I continue to wish her well.

15 hours ago, WhoisMark said:

You are not doing anything wrong; there is just nothing there with the links. As the daily archivist part of my job is to code the clue with proper link tags even though there is no image in the system.

The dream is to someday add the images, but that is not something that can be done with a wave of the wand. It's a different process to capture/upload the images and beyond what I do for my part in getting the new games done.

On the JBoard I comment about the media clues a lot because they add time to the process. The archivists have access to an OCR (optical character reader) tool that can take a clue's wording as it appears on the show and then copy/paste it in the archive's input system.

It's a great time saver to not have to type each word of a clue and all I have to do for each clue is touch-up such as making word(s) uppercase and adding player/host responses and comments.

Where the work bogs down is media clues as the OCR can't read the lines of smaller type closed-captioning. That has to be done word by word and and the whole clue usually takes 3-4 parts as it appears as the words are said. It's a start/stop kind of thing that slower than a regular clue entry.

I also have to add <> coding tags for a "this" or seen "here" and such. Sometimes it's not as clear where to add the image (or mp3 or mp4) tag and I have to pause to decide the best spot to insert the (non-working) link.

Season 18 (2001-2002) does have working links as the head guy captured all of them when the season ran on GSN.

Hope that gives a little insight to the dreaded 404s.

Thank you for this fascinating explanation, and for everything you all do for us.  I feel a little less silly now.  If there's ever a call for volunteers, I'd be proud to step up.

• Love 5
21 hours ago, sd dude said:

It would not surprise me to hear that persons younger than 'boomers and perhaps GenXers may not be familiar with it. 

It would actually surprise me, knowing how many school reading lists it was on when I worked at Borders in the late 90s and early 00s.

16 hours ago, Browncoat said:

That made me sad, too.  I don't even like basketball, but I knew who she was.

I knew it was Pat something, but I pay very little attention to women's sports so it wasn't something I would've gotten.

15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Is she had gone all in (TM James) she would have been ahead for FJ and if she had bet like she should have, she would have been the new champ. But noooooo.

People often bet based on their familiarity with the general subject of the clue.  Had I been cautious on my FJ because "Inventors" isn't a great subject for me, I'd have at least finished in second.  Maybe even won, depending on how the champ bet.  But no, I went with your kind of strategy (and, to be fair, a lot of other people's) and finished in third.  I should've bet nothing on that FJ.  Of course, if I hadn't guessed on two clues late in the game and been wrong, I would've had more money at FJ.

15 hours ago, Quickbeam said:

Wow, I guess I am old (and a nurse) but the Reyes Syndrome thing was huge news in the 1970-1980 time frame. Yup, old. I mean I grew up on Aspergum. 

Yep, and St. Joseph's baby aspirin.  That was around for decades but was rebranded after the Reyes Syndrome thing.

11 hours ago, JMarie99 said:

I had high hopes for Erin today.

I wouldn't mind a new champ, even though I like Jonathan well enough, but if Erin had won, I'd have skipped the show until she lost.  Something about her bugged me.  Maybe just the ill-fitting leopard print shirt.

1 hour ago, 30 Helens said:

And I still want Brad. #neverlettingitgo

Me, too.  But I'd be okay with Buzzy.  I mean, not for the same reason that I want Brad . . . 

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

Because it would also take it out of contention for their opponents, who could use it against them.  Far better to have the Daily Doubles be in randomly chosen spots on the board, because then there's a chance anyone can get them.

I said "Dredd Scott" before the clue was revealed - so is that an insta-instaget? Of course, I said it because it's the only one I could conjure up in my brain, but I'm taking the win nonetheless.

Since that's why I got it right, I'm going to say yes.

I'm not great on wagering, but I don't really understand why you wouldn't be everything in trying to unseat a champion. Is there that much difference between second and third place that would keep you from trying to take down the champ? I understand it when if the two high scorers could get it wrong and you'd have something left over, but that wasn't the case. Then again, I'm the person most likely to Cliff Claven it.

Familiarity and comfort with the category makes a huge difference.  I bet big on a not-good category for me and will rue that until the end of my days.  Now, if the category had been Opera or Shakespeare, betting it all would've been a smart move for me.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, sd dude said:

I guessed FJ as soon as I saw the category. If an instaget means you know the answer as soon as you see the clue, then what come before that?

I call it a "pre-call."

18 hours ago, saber5055 said:

You need to watch the 19-year-old movie Minority Report,

It's 19 years old?!?! Argh.

18 hours ago, chitowngirl said:

This would be good practice for our pandemic times.

1 hour ago, bad things are bad said:

Remember "baby" aspirin? That died a quick death, although really it just got rebranded as low dose for adults 

As an aside, it seems the guidelines on that are changing. Advice shifting on aspirin use for preventing heart attacks (AP) and Rethinking the 'aspirin a day' mantra for heart attack prevention (Minnesota Public Radio)

• Love 3
23 hours ago, sd dude said:

I guessed FJ as soon as I saw the category. If an instaget means you know the answer as soon as you see the clue, then what come before that? 

13 minutes ago, dcalley said:

I call it a "pre-call."

Or a "blind guess"? 

On Twitter there's 
JeopardyBlindGuesser
@JeopardyGuesser
Jeopardy Loving Family Who Blind Guess the Final Jeopardy Question Based on the Category Alone - Come Guess With Us #BlindGuess #Jeopardy
twitter.com/JeopardyGuesser

image.thumb.png.74b31475aeee7ca543ce6eabee28231e.png

• Love 1

Mayim's comment on the cat story is exactly like something Alex would have said.  He frequently was snarky about people's stories, 

Yep - I got a snarky response from Alex to my story.  Heh, which was a cat story.  

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Useful 2
  • LOL 2
  • Love 13
1 hour ago, M. Darcy said:

Yep - I got a snarky response from Alex to my story.  Heh, which was a cat story.  

8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

This is golden. Golden, I tell you. And worthy of 10 zillion heart likes.

Says the dog.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1

I wonder whether the detail in the clue that Groff is from PA influenced the response of Benjamin Franklin?  It's not an unreasonable guess if you haven't seen the show, but sometimes when a detail seems extraneous I try to parse "what it means" and might have fallen into the same trap myself, who knows?

"Honky Tonk Woman" was a cute guess for FJ.  I tried "Bad Girls," although I didn't think it was necessarily right.  Sometimes by the end of an episode I'm ready to turn my brain off.  Unfortunately I haven't ever seen or read "Cyrano," although I think I've watched different things inspired by it.

• Love 1