Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

19 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

What the hell kind of dormitory doesn't let you inside at night? Spending a season with daylight nearly all the time and not being allowed to sleep at night sounds like sheer torture.

I was wondering that, too.  Then I was wondering if maybe he was telling the story a little wrong.  Maybe it was more that the doors are locked at say 10 pm and they decided they wanted to stay out later because it was still light and were thus locked out all night.

• Love 3

I'm watching football, so checked the archive earlier today.

I missed one mountain, but got everything else in the first round.

In DJ, I missed the Chagall TS because I could not get his name from my brain to my mouth.  I also missed three each in landmark and governess, and two in movies, so that's not bad for DJ.

FJ was an instaget (instaguess that I was pretty sure was correct, at least), so my J! week is off to a good start.

• Love 3

I wish I had remembered that Cincinnati's airport code is CVG because it's located in...you guessed it.  A lot of airport code trivia rattles around in my head, but not that bit, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Haha. That was the one category I knew all of. I even wondered how they decided what was 200 vs 1000, since they were all equally obvious. Sometimes it pays to be old!

I'll drink to that!  The irony is that I have the musical tastes of someone much older, but his career started right around where my interest in pop music starts declining exponentially each year.  So it would indeed have paid to be older and at least able to pick something up by osmosis, but being spiritually younger would have helped too!  His Yellow Brick Road runs right through my blind spot, I guess. (No, I don't know anything beyond the title for that one either!)  ;)

• Love 1

I didn't watch the last few days of Mayim's hosting as she can just be a bit much for me, so I did really enjoy seeing Ken tonight.  I understand what people say about his voice, but I can understand him so it's okay for me.  There is just something about Mayim that doesn't connect with me and I think it may be the humor.  Oh well.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I assumed that meant you couldn't get in if you were late... according to this site for expats, "most dorms lock up for the night and then you will need to wake up the guard when coming back late."

Which kind of blows my mind. I mean, my college dorms locked up after a certain time but residents had a key that would open the door at the main entrance of their building.

That is so weird. In my dorm, the locked at a certain time but you could get in any time with your key card. And 10:00? There were times I was barely out of class at that point and obviously hadn't even left on the weekend yet lol.

I enjoyed watching Ken as the host. The game goes really quick. And I do still feel like Ken just knows all the answers. I also found it interesting when he was talking about the players scores right before the first commercial break. It's so clearly how well he knows the game.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, blueray said:

That is so weird. In my dorm, the locked at a certain time but you could get in any time with your key card. And 10:00? There were times I was barely out of class at that point and obviously hadn't even left on the weekend yet lol.

I think mine was locked at 10 on weeknights and 11 or 12 on weekends. There were two doors in the middle (one on each side of the building) that led into the lounge/RA office area, and one at each end of the building, only one of which opened from the outside at all (the other one was exit only; I don't know why), but our keys didn't work on that one, so after hours you had to go in through the center doors. (And I'm old enough that they were actual keys; you got one for your room and one for the building. I think I was a junior before we got high-tech enough to be able to charge laundry on our student ID cards instead of needing quarters.) I assume the other dorms had the same rules where you had to go in through the main entrance after hours.

9 minutes ago, blueray said:

I enjoyed watching Ken as the host. The game goes really quick. And I do still feel like Ken just knows all the answers. I also found it interesting when he was talking about the players scores right before the first commercial break. It's so clearly how well he knows the game.

He seems to be having fun, in a relaxed way because he's so familiar with it. Mayim's expressions of "I'm having fun" often seem slightly forced, like she's acting the part of host rather than just being host.

• Love 9

I find Ken so painfully boring that it's hard to stay awake while he blands on and on. Mayim was much more alive, in my opinion. I guess it's cultural, though I didn't have trouble staying awake during Alex's era.

It's not just the blandness, though. He seems... offensively bland. I don't even know what he's doing that's so awful but I am shocked by how much I hated his hosting.

• Love 4
7 hours ago, 853fisher said:

The Elton John category might as well have been in Greek.  I got "Crocodile Rock" and had at least heard of 3 of the other 4, but didn't know their lyrics at all. 

I had a crush on Elton when I was a girl (yeah, I know) so I know all his songs backwards and forwards. Easiest Category Ever.

5 hours ago, Blakeston said:

When asked if he was vaccinated, he said, "Yeah, I'm immunized." The "yeah" makes it inescapably a lie, IMO.

And now he’s saying he is “allergic” to the vaccine and that’s why…? Sigh. Bullet, you were dodged.

Is it just me, or did it look like Katie was flirting hard with Ken? Maybe she’s just a fan. In any case, I agree that everyone seemed to be having fun. Including me. I enjoyed the relaxed vibe.

I have grown to appreciate Mayim, but today’s show reminded me why I originally wanted Ken to host. I think I’d be happy either way. There is no bad choice at this point, IMO— which is a relief considering some of the candidates that cycled through.

• Love 9

I got Carolans as well of the rest of the booze clues. I also came up with the missed DD of Bolivar. I had answers that were stuck in my rain, but I couldn’t get them down to my mouth. I also got all the “legal double EE’s” and the misquoted songs. So even though I didn’t really do well I still felt good about the game. I enjoyed the light tone, but couldn’t come up with FJ. 

• Love 3
13 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Haha. That was the one category I knew all of. I even wondered how they decided what was 200 vs 1000, since they were all equally obvious. Sometimes it pays to be old!

Yep, Elton was one of my favs in my youth. So I got most of them (had a brain fart on rocket man).

His "I'm Still Standing" was my all time favorite - as it was my divorce survival song way back in the day. I thought it left "I Will Survive" in the dust - for me, anyway.

13 hours ago, lambertman said:

I spend a lot of time in Cincinnati, have driven over that bridge to KY many times and stood directly above it while exiting Great American Ball Park. 

And my brain made me say “Louisville” 😪

Mr. Starling is from Cinci, and he was all "come ON," the whole time. Didn't notice that I was silent...cause I sure as heck didn't know.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Yes, Ken's sense of fun was more infectious than Mayim's, IMO.

The thing I liked about Ken (and still do), is the fact that his experience, especially as a contestant, make him click with the contestants more than anyone I've seen (even Buzzy, who is still my personal favorite for host). I really enjoyed him.

12 hours ago, Gravity Check said:

One of the things I appreciate about Ken Jennings is his snark. Test Audition Ken had no snark at all, at least the way I'm remembering it, and it was like he was playing the part of a generic game show host. At least the real Ken was present today. I enjoyed this show a lot, and I appreciate Mayim as well.

I didn't notice the snark, but maybe it's because I'm a snarky person (just like when a colleague of mine asks if a show or a movie has "bad language" - I'm a potty mouth, so I never notice).

I really liked this game today.

12 hours ago, Bastet said:

In DJ, I missed the Chagall TS because I could not get his name from my brain to my mouth.

I am so ticked - I ALWAYS miss Chagall, and not because I don't know him. But because like you, I can't seem to get his name from my brain to my mouth.

I did pretty well over all. I didn't run a category, but I nearly ran a number of categories. FJ was elusive though.

I did notice the change in the hosting announcement. I don't really think it means anything. But I could be wrong.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I was glad to see Ken back, although he was nearly too chatty for me a few times.   I don't know what to make of "now hosting Jeopardy" rather than "here is the host of Jeopardy."

9 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I did notice the change in the hosting announcement. I don't really think it means anything. But I could be wrong.

Given that it was the anniversary of Alex's passing, and given Ken's closeness to Alex, maybe Ken preferred "now hosting" because "the host" felt like that should be reserved for Alex in Ken's mind?
I'm probably wrong.

• Love 6
11 hours ago, ams1001 said:

You all are making me feel really old. Back when I was in college, the doors at the women's dorm (no coed dorms back then) were locked at 10 on weekdays and midnight on weekends.  You had to ring for the night RA to let you in. Your parents were then notified of the infraction. The men's dorm had no such restrictions. That resulted in what was known as the Mush Rush, when couples gathered in front of the dorm for their farewell canoodling before the women stampeded through the door before it was locked. 

And those of us in Cincinnati are just glad that none of the contestants answered "Cleveland" for the triple stumper.

• Love 7

When I was in college in the early 2010s, although we were in a rural city where many locals didn't lock their doors, you couldn't access dorms at any time without a key card.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Given that it was the anniversary of Alex's passing, and given Ken's closeness to Alex, maybe Ken preferred "now hosting" because "the host" felt like that should be reserved for Alex in Ken's mind?

Not a bad thought!  But according to this piece, the crew did not let Ken know he was taping a show to air on the anniversary until after it was done.

12 hours ago, blueray said:

I do still feel like Ken just knows all the answers. I also found it interesting when he was talking about the players scores right before the first commercial break. It's so clearly how well he knows the game.

This encapsulates one of the reasons I prefer Ken to Mayim.  I like the host to exude command of the game and material.  Considering only her performance on the show, leaving aside her comments in other forums about how clueless she would be if she ever played the game (which I suppose she thinks are pleasingly self-effacing but which do not impress me), she just doesn't have that aura about her, in my opinion.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
25 minutes ago, Good Queen Jane said:

You all are making me feel really old. Back when I was in college, the doors at the women's dorm (no coed dorms back then) were locked at 10 on weekdays and midnight on weekends.  You had to ring for the night RA to let you in. Your parents were then notified of the infraction. The men's dorm had no such restrictions. That resulted in what was known as the Mush Rush, when couples gathered in front of the dorm for their farewell canoodling before the women stampeded through the door before it was locked. 

Took to small talk...

(BTW, not sure what happened but the part you quoted wasn't written by me.)

1 minute ago, 853fisher said:

When I was in college in the early 2010s, although we were in a rural city where many locals didn't lock their doors, you couldn't access dorms at any time without a key card.

Edited by ams1001
17 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I did get FJ this time, although I wonder whether anyone onstage really knew it rather than making an educated guess like I did. 

Mine was the educated guess of "Well, Langston Hughes is the only male African American poet I know, so it must be Langston".

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

The tribute card at the end...😢

I switched channels right after FJ so I missed it. :-(

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.

I got the missed clues of Everest, Marc Chagal, Simon Bolivar and Cincinatti.

I got the entire category of Russians right.

I had a great night.

I didn't get Cincinnati, but I did get all the rest.  Everest is of particular interest to me, Jewish + Russian + artist is always Chagal and early-19th century South American revolutionary screams Bolivar.

• Love 1
18 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For me, Carolans is one of those answers I can't pull out of my brain, but as soon as it's revealed, I do a V8 forehead slap and say, "Of course!"

Same here. I like Bailey's and have also bought it for my dad many times over the years and I was trying to picture the other bottle on the shelf next to it with no luck.

• Love 2

87% / 43% / 64%

Okay, started out much better tonight…ran Movie Rewards, Potpourri, and Crossword Clues, missed one each in Crust and The End, and two in The Beginning.

Then….Double Jeopardy….missed 1 Creature, 2 Characters and Cities, 3 Art Critics, 4  Palindromes, and 5 Business…..

My TSes were 1896, Sean Connery, secretary bird, and Córdoba, and I got two DDs.

• Love 3

Oh, I see we’re going back to random judging. Let’s just let someone guess three times before getting a DD answer correct.

The FJ question was either poorly worded or poorly interpreted by me (probably the latter). I read it as the song that took over had a lyric from A Queen song, not necessarily THAT PARTICULAR Queen song. I really should’ve gotten it either way, though.

• Love 6

I said Easy Come Easy Go for FJ because that's the lyric that kept running through my head.  Funnily enough Queen made me think  Dancing Queen which I knew wasn't right, but I guess I shoud have concentrated on Abba Songs.  Oh well.  Easy come, easy go:)

I got the missed clues of Byzantium, 1896, secretary, balance sheet and smart trams.

I got the entire category of crossword clues right.

I did fairly well in the first round.  not so good in the second.

• Love 2

Uggh, if there’s any decade’s songs I should have a chance at, it would be the 70s. I went from being a preteen to a college graduate. But I just couldn’t run through the lyrics of Bohemian Rhapsody in enough time. 

• Love 9

What the hell was that with hedge fund?   Is this Millionaire now where you have to say Final Answer to submit?   If she had won I'd be calling bullshit and saying the other two deserved a return play.   That was all kinds of sloppy.

• Love 13
17 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said Easy Come Easy Go for FJ because that's the lyric that kept running through my head.  Funnily enough Queen made me think  Dancing Queen which I knew wasn't right, but I guess I shoud have concentrated on Abba Songs.  Oh well.  Easy come, easy go:)

I feel like you were in my brain...or I was in your brain. This is exactly what happened in my brain for FJ. Though I think I settled on Easy Come Easy Go because it happens earlier in the song, and I didn't have time to get too much further on in the 30 seconds they gave us. It's one of those ones where if I had all day (or even just 5 minutes) I might have actually come up with the correct answer, but definitely not in 30 seconds.

• Love 2

I played better tonight. I came up with Sean Connery (and agree with Ken that he was the best Bond) Cordova (my first pair of custom riding boots were cordovan), and then I fizzled. The good news is that FJ was an instaget *. I love that song by Queen and it came to me in a snap. That means I’ve already tied my score from last week so it can only go up from here. 

• Love 4
25 minutes ago, SoMuchTV said:

Uggh, if there’s any decade’s songs I should have a chance at, it would be the 70s. I went from being a preteen to a college graduate. But I just couldn’t run through the lyrics of Bohemian Rhapsody in enough time. 

My brain got stuck on I see a little silhouetto of a man, Scaramouch, Scaramouch.

• LOL 4
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, Maverick said:

What the hell was that with hedge fund?   Is this Millionaire now where you have to say Final Answer to submit?   If she had won I'd be calling bullshit and saying the other two deserved a return play.   That was all kinds of sloppy.

Totally agree.  That was bogus.  She should have instantly been ruled incorrect.

• Love 7
On 11/8/2021 at 8:14 PM, secnarf said:

I was almost certain the poet was Langston Hughes, and it's a good thing they didn't require any more than "Langston" because I wouldn't have been able to provide it. Had never heard of the Congressman and didn't know where Hughes' first name came from.

I vaguely thought they had to provide first and last names in FJ?  This was kind of messed up because you didn’t even need to know who the Congressman was, which was the point of the question 

I was a little surprised no one guessed Sean Connery - especially Hillary, with two others ruled out - since he seems to be the most popular James Bond.  (I've never seen any of the films, but, sadly, I figured I had to go back to his era for Kim Basinger to be a love interest; she'd have been considered too old to cast alongside Brosnan [who was my initial thought], even though they're the same age.)

I laughed at Ken's diminishing returns joke, but he should have been on the ball to rule "hedge farm" wrong.  (And, my stars, the contestants were bad in that business category!  Almost as bad as the infamous NFL category full of TS to which Alex reacted so memorably.)

I only ran crust and crossword clues in the first round; I missed two books because I couldn't spit out the answers fast enough, and then there were another two in beginnings and one each in potpourri and movies that I didn't know.  So, a fairly average performance.

I didn't run a single category in DJ.  I wasn't terrible, although I did miss three each in cities and names.  I also missed two each in palindromes and creatures, and one each in the other two.

FJ came to me in time; probably because they're in the news lately, Abba came immediately to mind from 1976 + Europop, and then I quickly rejected my first thought, "Dancing Queen", as not appearing in "Bohemian Rhapsody", and shortly after that knew my second thought, "Mamma Mia", was the song when I sang "Mamma Mia, let me go" in my head.

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My brain got stuck on I see a little silhouetto of a man, Scaramouch, Scaramouch.

I'm not sure if the stanza or 2 of melody in the back of my mind during FJ was for "Scaramouche, Scaramouche" or for "mama mia, mama mia, mama mia," but there were no words, and that's not the part of the 70s when I was plugged in, but maybe if I'd hummed it out loud? Nah.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Maverick said:

Nah, she corrected herself before Ken ruled. You might argue he took too long to rule (I don’t know, I didn’t time it and even if I did I don’t know the standard limit), but as long as they get the correct answer out before he calls it wrong they can fumble as much as they want. I recall that happening many times in the Alex era, too, so it’s not just Ken being lenient.

3 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I have never cycled through a song’s lyrics so quickly. “Mamajustkilledamanputagunagainsthisheadpulledmytriggernowhe‘sdead”, no, “scaramouchescaramouchewillyoudothefandandothunderboltsandlightningveryveryfrighteningme” still no, “gaileogalileofigaromagnifico-oh-oh-oh” DAMN IT. 

That song is just too damn wordy. I couldn’t get there in time, either.

• LOL 11
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

That song is just too damn wordy. I couldn’t get there in time, either.

I wonder how many people who came up with FJ got there by going through the "Bohemian Rhapsody" lyrics - which I think is the hard way, given its length and numerous references - rather than concentrating on the year and "Europop" aspects of the clue to come up with what might have replaced BR atop the UK charts, while also keeping the BR lyrics in mind to confirm.  The latter is how I came up with it; I don't think I'd have had time if I just tried to speed sing the lyrics and a-ha! the right reference.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
39 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I wonder how many people who came up with FJ got there by going through the "Bohemian Rhapsody" lyrics - which I think is the hard way, given its length and numerous references - rather than concentrating on the year and "Europop" aspects of the clue to come up with what might have replaced BR atop the charts while also keeping the BR lyrics in mind to confirm.  The latter is how I came up with it; I don't think I'd have had time if I just tried to speed sing the lyrics and a-ha! the right reference.

I heard Europop and thought "that's probably ABBA," and then after making sure that the words "dancing queen" weren't in Bohemian Rhapsody, arrived at the answer pretty quickly.

• Love 3

Same here. Mamma Mia came to me instantly but I wanted to second guess myself because I was pretty sure it wasn't #1 here in the US until I reread the clue and saw "in the UK" and then I was confident. As soon as I saw the category I told my husband "I'm betting it all", so, phew! 

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Love 2
12 hours ago, SHD said:

The FJ question was either poorly worded or poorly interpreted by me (probably the latter). I read it as the song that took over had a lyric from A Queen song, not necessarily THAT PARTICULAR Queen song. I really should’ve gotten it either way, though.

I read it that way too, Mr. Starling thought it was very clearly worded. I think you and I just have more analytic minds. 😉

8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I wonder how many people who came up with FJ got there by going through the "Bohemian Rhapsody" lyrics - which I think is the hard way, given its length and numerous references - rather than concentrating on the year and "Europop" aspects of the clue to come up with what might have replaced BR atop the UK charts, while also keeping the BR lyrics in mind to confirm.  The latter is how I came up with it; I don't think I'd have had time if I just tried to speed sing the lyrics and a-ha! the right reference.

I got Abba right away, from Europop and the year, but blanked on songs and the lyrics of Bohemian Rhapsody (well I didn't blank so much as dismiss it as being too hard to go through all those lyrics in time). And it didn't help that I was thinking of other Queen songs. Mama Mia was not my favorite Abba song, so it didn't come to mind.

I had a good game in the Jeopardy round. Ran Movie Rewards and Crossword Clues (which is funny because I really suck at crossword puzzles). I did pretty well in most of the other categories except for Beginnings. I was proud of getting the Lumiere Brothers, and got the right city, just the wrong name for the date. (with the song "It's Istanbul, Not Constantinople" running through my head._

I do think Ken waited way too long for the correct hedge answer.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

(with the song "It's Istanbul, Not Constantinople" running through my head._

Ha! Every time either of those is mentioned, my brain goes immediately into that song. I mean, every time. It’s a sickness. 

• LOL 6
  • Love 6
22 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

For me, Carolans is one of those answers I can't pull out of my brain, but as soon as it's revealed, I do a V8 forehead slap and say, "Of course!"

I'd never heard of it before.  Might have to check it out, though.

17 hours ago, SHD said:

Oh, I see we’re going back to random judging. Let’s just let someone guess three times before getting a DD answer correct.

You can change your answer as long as the host hasn't ruled you incorrect yet, but Ken did seem to wait longer than Alex used to.

17 hours ago, SHD said:

I had no problem understanding the clue, but didn't make it to "Mama mia, mama mia, let me go!" in my trek through the lyrics to Bohemian Rhapsody.  Kept getting stuck on "Scaramouche, Scaramouche, will you do the fandango?".  I love ABBA, though, so I really should've gotten that one.

17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

My TSes were 1896, Sean Connery, secretary bird, and Córdoba, and I got two DDs

I got all of those as well.

17 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

Yep, that was me, too.

It can be tough to keep all the Bond movies straight, but I always remember "Never Say Never Again" because it was an outlier, under the auspices of different producers than all the others.  Their choice of lead actor was also an outlier, as they brought Connery back over a decade after the main series had moved on to Roger Moore.  I also think its title song is criminally underrated.  Truly, if I ever appeared on the show and "Bond Movie Songs" was a category, I'd be delighted, because I think they're all wonderful.

"1970s Songs"?  Less fortuitous for me.  I wish I'd approached the clue as "name a really big Europop song" and not trying to sing through all 20 minutes of the Queen song in 30 seconds.  Oh well!  Next time.

I wonder whether the guest hosts are relying on their earpiece more than Alex used to?  Perhaps he was more comfortable or explicitly empowered to rule quickly on his own in a way the newcomers are not.  Regardless of who is making the calls, if it were up to me, you could add to an answer ("hedge...hedge fund" or "Roosevelt...Teddy Roosevelt"), but once you've said something wrong ("hedge farm" or "Barack Roosevelt"), you'd be done.  But, you know, something about wishes and horses.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
52 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

You can change your answer as long as the host hasn't ruled you incorrect yet, but Ken did seem to wait longer than Alex used to.

Yes, I felt that was the issue. After the second time she mumbled "hedge farm" he should've ruled incorrect, if not earlier. In the end, it didn't matter. I just wish they were more consistent.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, SHD said:

Yes, I felt that was the issue. After the second time she mumbled "hedge farm" he should've ruled incorrect, if not earlier. In the end, it didn't matter. I just wish they were more consistent.

Aside from Final's 30 second 'writing time', Daily Doubles are the only Jeopardy questions that have a time limit. Often, you can see the light bulbs counting it down. So I guess you have that much time to come up with a full response, unless you're called wrong (at host's discretion). I think we don't usually see CHANGED answers in that time because most people either spit it right out, or say nothing, or say something obviously and completely wrong. If you're close, or incomplete, I don't mind giving the full time limit to "work it out."

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

NEVER SAY NEVER is an odd Bond movie. As said above, it was a different production company. They brought back Connery, but had a different M and Miss Moneypenny even though Bernard Lee and Lois Maxwell were still playing the roles for EON Productions opposite Roger Moore. Also, NEVER... was a complete remake of THUNDERBALL which Connery himself had already done about 15 years earlier!

• Useful 1
  • Love 1