Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

14 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

I should have gotten Victor Frankenstein, but my twisted brain went to Froderick Frahnkensteen instead.

Svengoolie has been showing a series of classic Frankenstein movies every Saturday night for the past several weeks, in this order: Frankenstein (1931), The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), Son of Frankenstein (1939), The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942), Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943), House of Frankenstein (1944) and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948). Svengoolie rocks.

• Love 4
54 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Because of the above Bible discussions, here is an easy study page for upcoming Bible clues.

Bible facts.

The Bible has some seriously messed up shit in it.  Maybe I should've paid more attention when I was a kid trying desperately to get out of going to church.

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
2 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Svengoolie has been showing a series of classic Frankenstein movies every Saturday night for the past several weeks, in this order: Frankenstein (1931), The Bride of Frankenstein (1935), Son of Frankenstein (1939), The Ghost of Frankenstein (1942), Frankenstein Meets the Wolf Man (1943), House of Frankenstein (1944) and Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein (1948). Svengoolie rocks.

Unfortunately, using Svengoolie as a study guide would have caused one to get the wrong answer, as the Universal Frankenstein series changed his name to Henry.  No one seems to know why.

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
8 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Unfortunately, using Svengoolie as a study guide would have caused one to get the wrong answer,

Actually, using Svengoolie as a study guide for anything isn't really the best decision, but he is a lot of fun. And frankly (FRANK!) I didn't come up with a right or wrong first name for the good doctor even though I watch Svengoolie every Saturday night. Except this week because (Cub-less) baseball. :-((

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Bastet said:

I understand the two-syllable pronunciation of forte to mean one's strong suit is a mispronunciation (confusing the French word with the Italian one of the same spelling) that has long since become accepted by widespread usage, but it's a personal peeve hearing fortay instead of fort, so I cringed a little at that clue.

@Bastet, I thought of you when that clue came up.

• Love 3

That was an exciting endgame!  Emily and Wren seemed to me to come out of nowhere to get within striking distance of Tyler.  I liked all of them, so I didn't mind who won.

I loved the mention of Andean condors.  Closely related Callifornia condors have fascinated me for years.  They were in the news today because scientists have determined that they can reproduce without a male parent.

FJ was an instaget for me, although I hadn't previously known what specifically "the shores of Tripoli" was referring to, so I definitely enjoyed that.

I learned the "Marines' Hymn" when I cared for a historic carousel with a Wurlitzer organ.  For many years they issued 10-tune music rolls, but started to do only 6 during the Depression.  They would repeat the same verse, chorus, and bridge on each song until it took up one-sixth the length of their earlier rolls, so they could tell buyers they were getting the same amount of music while reducing arranging expenses.

The result can be monotonous, so most surviving copies of those 6-tune rolls have been edited, but I purchased a few uncut out of curiosity and an archival instinct.  I used to like to sing along to pass the time when I was on duty at the controls, and thanks to a particularly long version of the "Marines' Hymn," I learned all three standard verses plus an unofficial one from a 1941 mission to stave off a Nazi invasion of Iceland.

That last one goes: "Again in 1941 we sailed a northward course / and found beneath the midnight sun the Viking and the Norse. /  The Iceland girls were slim and fair, and fair the Iceland scenes, / and the army found in landing there the United States Marines."  I'm not sure J! will do a clue about the Iceland girls any time soon, but they got me through a few hot shifts, that's for sure!

• Useful 7
  • LOL 4
  • Love 3

67% / 67% / 66%

Sadly, this was my second best game of the week.

The look on Tyler's face and his little head shake after the first Halloween clue cracked me up.
I also enjoyed Mayim's dramatic readings.

Ran Skyscraper City and missed one each in 5,5, Fevers, Satellites, and Musicals.

Got all three Daily Doubles and the TSes of John Quincy Adams and Urbervilles. No FJ; I thought of the the song but I didn't know the title.

• Love 3

I knew the song they were asking for in FJ immediately, but then spent a good 20 seconds trying to figure out what the exact title was.  I knew it wasn't just "that Marines song", so I settled on Marine Hymn for lack of a better guess.  Good for me!  I do have to thank Gomer Pyle, though, for singing it repeatedly in his "off to the Marines" episode of The Andy Griffith Show.

I also got the TS of John Quincy Adams, James Madison, Urberville, and pampas.

• Love 1
30 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I thought of the the song but I didn't know the title.

I misinterpreted the meaning of the category and sang my response as "from the halls of Montezu-u-ma, to the shores of Tripoli!" but I didn't know the song's title anyway.

I did get the $2K TS of Van Allen belt.

I was glad the challengers showed some gumption in their wagering, and actually wished Wren had bet it all for the last DD, even though she didn't know it, because I saw it as her only chance to beat Tyler at that point.
Given that she did not know FJ and he did, it was doubly moot, but I don't think my strategy would have been wrong?

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Browncoat said:

I do have to thank Gomer Pyle, though, for singing it repeatedly in his "off to the Marines" episode of The Andy Griffith Show.

"From the halls of Mont-tee-zoo-OOO-mer to the shores of Trip-pole-lee ..."

We kids learned all of those songs in grade school and sang them all the time. I guess they stopped teaching such things to modern-age kids. More's the pity.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1
  • Love 8

The contestants doing the presidents category in order meant I noticed how the dates followed each other, which helped me figure some of them out.

I missed two in 5,5, and one each in fouls and Halloween stories, but got everything else in the first round.

I was horrible in DJ, though.  I didn't run a single category, missing three each in villains, landscapes, fevers, and quechua, and one each in the other two. That may be my worst round ever.  Yikes.

I didn't know FJ, either.  When the correct response was revealed, the title meant nothing to me, so I had to look it up to see if I'd ever heard it.  Yes (and now that damn line is stuck in my head on a loop, as that's all I know), but had no idea what it was called, so I'd have never come up with it.  Fitting end to a crappy performance.

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I knew the song they were asking for in FJ immediately, but then spent a good 20 seconds trying to figure out what the exact title was.  

Same here. “It’s the Marines theme! Marines Battle Song? Battle Hymn of the Marines? Can I just sing it??

Sigh. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
12 hours ago, saber5055 said:

"From the halls of Mont-tee-zoo-OOO-mer to the shores of Trip-pole-lee ..."

We kids learned all of those songs in grade school and sang them all the time. I guess they stopped teaching such things to modern-age kids. More's the pity.

Being a military brat, I learned all of them (except the coast guard, which rarely gets its props). I looked up the Army song and thought "what the heck is this" - turned out they recently changed it. Apparently back to the original version which was replaced by the version I learned at around the time I was born. Who knew.

I'd love to hear the space force song. I wonder if it will sound like Star Trek's theme? 😉

It wasn't a great board for me last night. Oh well.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
38 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I looked up the Army song and thought "what the heck is this" - turned out they recently changed it. Apparently back to the original version which was replaced by the version I learned at around the time I was born. Who knew.

They don't use "As the Caissons Go Rolling Along" anymore? 😲

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
6 hours ago, Driad said:

Or Tom Lehrer's "It Makes a Fellow Proud to Be a Soldier"?

With the cook whose taste buds were shot off in the war.

But "Send the Marines" is also fitting. "To the shores of Tripoli but not to Mississipoli/When in doubt, send the Marines."

Edited by ABay
  • Love 3

Oops. Forgot to post here. So so game for me. I got the TSs of fieldstone, John Q. Adams, and quinoa. I thought Emily was a very pretty lady and she looked sharp in the outfit she chose to wear. Classy. My mind went blank on FJ which bothered me because I learned all the songs back in grade school. 

On 10/29/2021 at 4:54 PM, MrAtoz said:

Unfortunately, using Svengoolie as a study guide would have caused one to get the wrong answer, as the Universal Frankenstein series changed his name to Henry.  No one seems to know why.

It's because the film script was based on a stage-play version (as was Lugosi's DRACULA). Why the playwright changed it though? Who knows, maybe to Anglicize it somewhat.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Gimmick Genius said:

maybe to Anglicize it somewhat.

Or maybe not. His name in the 1931 movie was Heinrich "Henry" von Frankenstein, pretty Germanic. This from IMDB trivia: "Frankenstein's first name is Henry, while his best friend's name is Victor Moritz. In the novel, the doctor's name is Victor Frankenstein, while his best friend is Henry Clerval, and the unrelated housekeeper to the Frankenstein family is Justine Moritz." I'd think Victor's name would have been spelled Viktor, but then, what do I know.

However, it is an appropriate discussion for late-night Halloween. BOO!

index.jpg.8d2a85f22435da68c381ba0bb41c87c7.jpg

• Love 3

I was going to take an afternoon cup of coffee to help get through some writing later, but Mr. "HOLLYWOOD! came to Kansas City..." woke me right the hell up.  There's always one in the local newsroom, apparently.

I watched it back a few times and thought Mike definitely mouthed the F-word after his missed DD.  It looked to me like he remembered where he was about half a second too late.  I don't blame him for that under the pressure, and I'm not clutching my pearls about it, but I was a little surprised they didn't use a shot of Mayim there or something, given typical broadcast standards.

• Love 1

Archive game for me since I'll be watching football tonight.

The Mackinac Bridge TS surprised me a bit, but since it was a $2000 clue, it shouldn't.  No one taking a stab and guessing Utah was unexpected, too.

I missed two each in catchphrases and pen names, and one in Kansas City (the Monarchs TS stumped me, too), but got everything else in the first round.

It was all downhill in DJ, though; I only ran November and trips, and I blew the entire creatures category (yes, even Poseidon, which was a really dumb miss).  I also missed three each in movies and families, and one in words (the Vicious Circle TS stumped me, too).

At least FJ was an instaget.

Welp, it's Monday...

67% / 53% / 59%

Ran nothing, got no Fantastical Creatures, missed one or two in every other category except Movies where I missed three, and no FJ.

Got the TSes of Utah and Suez Canal, and the missed DDs of Better business Bureau & Boston Brahmins.

Edited by ams1001
50 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I watched it back a few times and thought Mike definitely mouthed the F-word after his missed DD. 

I read your post before watching the show so was on the lookout, and I agree with you.  It was done in such a way he sort of looked like he might be biting his lip, but I would say he mouthed what we would all be thinking if we had just lost $5000 on a DD.

• Love 3

I got FJ.  After discarding moonrover, LOL.

I got the missed cues of Better Business Bureau, The Fly, Brahmins, Suez Canal and Mackinac Bridge.

I got the entire alliteration category right.

I had a fairly good night.

2 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

No one knew Mackinac Bridge!?!?!?  😥🤬

And it was the $2000 clue.  What was up with that?  I thought that was easy peasy.

• Love 2

I immediately knew FJ had something to do with space, but it took me a few more seconds to come up with the correct response.  I got it in the nick of time to write it down.

I also got the TS of The Fly, people person, Brahmins, Utah (on a guess), and Mackinac Bridge.  I was a little surprised that no one guessed The Fly or Utah.

2 minutes ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I knew the bridge but couldn't remember if it was pronounced Mack-i-naw or Mack-i-nack.  Would they have ruled me incorrect if I had pronounced it phonetically?

• Love 3
33 minutes ago, bankerchick said:

I knew the bridge but couldn't remember if it was pronounced Mack-i-naw or Mack-i-nack.  Would they have ruled me incorrect if I had pronounced it phonetically?

They should have ruled you correctly for that.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, bankerchick said:

No, they wouldn't,  but it's  Mack-in-aw

• Love 1

I slept right through Jeopardy!  Woke up enough to change the channel to sleep through Midsomer Murders.  Sheesh.  (I also woke up enough to hear Mayim say "Better Business Bureau.")

According to TJF, I would have missed FJ anyway. I didn't pay attention to the date & said "Voyager."

• Love 2
5 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

I sat here, Michigan born and raised, and felt smug and Superior (as in the lake…yes, my Michigander puns are showing) that I knew that and none of them did.  But opening in November 1957 and being 5 miles long, well, geez, what else could it be??  (Probably a half dozen other things, unless you’re a dyed-in-the-wool Michigander!)

• Love 5

It was an okay game for me. I didn't run or get close to running any categories (a bit frustrating, since I knew the answers in some cases, just couldn't spit them out of my mouth.

Got FJ as I recognized the date, I did quibble a little about whether the lander was called the "Eagle" - "the Eagle has landed" is so much in the common parlance these days, I wasn't sure it originated with the moon landing. But I got that, and really, getting FJ is really all I care about. 😉

• Love 2
12 hours ago, bankerchick said:

No.  Because that's how I pronounced it, and they ruled me correct.  😀

• LOL 3
  • Love 8
2 minutes ago, NoReally said:

Instead of "Eagle" I said "LEM" (the lunar lander called Eagle). Think they would've accepted that, or were they after the thing's actual name?

I would say no.  That's more of an acronym as opposed to one word.

• Love 1

Thanks to the pronunciation of the name of the bridge, I can't get "The Wells Fargo Wagon" song from The Music Man out of my head. "In March I got a gray mackinaw..."

• LOL 2
1 hour ago, ABay said:

Thanks to the pronunciation of the name of the bridge, I can't get "The Wells Fargo Wagon" song from The Music Man out of my head. "In March I got a gray mackinaw..."

I realized it's November and I can't get that damn Edmund Fitzgerald (and the gales of November) song out of my head. Wanna trade mental jukeboxes?

• LOL 6
  • Love 3