Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

63% / 47% / 54%

Not my night tonight. The only category I ran was Musical Instruments. Missed one each in good deeds, fiction, Disney+ and plurals, two in science, and 3 or 4 in all the others. Got two DDs but no FJ.

The missed clues I got were Loki, tuna, The Exorcist, and Penn Station.

I immediately thought of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead", but it took me a couple of seconds to remember who wrote it.  I got it, but wasn't confident that it was right.  Hooray, another asterisk for me this week!

TS I got include cornice, tuna, Penn Station, anther, and Edinburgh.

• Love 3

I got conservatory, The Exorcist, cornice, No Kill, The Poseidon Adventure, Oracle, the Penn DD, and Edinburgh. Theater is one of my best categories, so I knew FJ. Weird that the two challengers both wrote Arthur Miller. I guess he was the only 20th century playwright they knew?

Who here understood  the “Hands off, Nic Cage” line in one of the clues?

• Love 2

Wow. 13 TSs!

I wonder if Matt was watching, and, if so, if he knew all 13.

I knew No Kill, tuna, and The Exorcist.
ETA:

• I first thought "viola" but then thought it couldn't be because it looked too small relative to hands (due to foreshortening inherit in photographs in which things closer to the camera appear larger than IRL), but looking at it now on YouTube, I see it is bigger relative to the head:

image.png.a6950f8a57a6188a439a5dc050487f46.png

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Wow. 13 TSs!

I knew No Kill, tuna, and The Exorcist.

I wonder if Matt was watching, and, if so, if he knew all 13.

Oh yeah, The Exorcist. Before their time?  The head-spinning thing was burned into my brain from the the movie- I don’t think I ever read the novel- but still!

Edited by SoMuchTV
Fixing typo
  • Love 2

Since I love the film Clue, I'm irrationally bummed none of them knew conservatory.  I'm also sad no one knew no kill.

I struggled in Disney and 1821, missing three in each.  Other than that I did well in the first round, except for the two brainfarts I had in fiction, knowing the titles but unable to get them from my brain to my mouth in time.

I did really well in DJ, only missing six!  And four of those were among the many clues that stumped all the contestants, too, so I was particularly pleased with my performance. 

I didn't get FJ, though.  I've read the play, but a long time ago and I obviously didn't retain the title of the play within it, so that spark any recognition.  And thinking of plays of that era inspired by Shakespeare didn't get me anywhere in time, so I wound up with no response at all.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I got conservatory, The Exorcist, cornice, No Kill, The Poseidon Adventure, Oracle, the Penn DD, and Edinburgh. Theater is one of my best categories, so I knew FJ. Weird that the two challengers both wrote Arthur Miller. I guess he was the only 20th century playwright they knew?

Speaking only for myself, I answered Arthur Miller solely because I knew he was a playwright around that time. I didn't think of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, but even if I had, I would have had no idea who wrote it.

The Nic Cage part referenced the National Treasure movies - in the first one, his character steals the Declaration of Independence, which was the correct response to the clue. That's how I knew the answer to that question.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I did! 
Colonial Williamsburg had an exhibit of the Stone copper engraving of the Declaration of Independence, so that and the National Treasure reference gave it to me.

For FJ, the two playwrights that came to mind were Miller and Mamet. I’m familiar with Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, but I couldn’t tell you the author to save my life.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, SoMuchTV said:

Oh yeah, The Exorcist. Before their time?  The head-spinning thing was burned into my brain from the the movie- I don’t think I ever read the novel- but still!

I've never seen the movie but I have seen that scene. When I was in high school I found a copy of the book in the basement (my parents had a bookcase on one wall that I never paid much attention to as a kid). Never read it.

• Love 2
Just now, j5cochran said:

Am I the only one who guessed Edward Albee (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?) for Final Jeopardy?

Actually, I did too. Only because I couldn't think of anyone else even thought the Murder of Ganzago seemed really familiar to me and I have seen Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

• Love 2

I was sure "America's first saint" was Mother Cabrini, but that was where "homegrown" came in.  Cabrini was the first US citizen canonized, but she was born in Lombardy: she immigrated to the US in her late 30s when Pope Leo XIII told her she could do more good in poor Italian emigrant communities on the East Coast than as a Chinese missionary as she had planned.  Seton, on the other hand, was born in this country.

I missed the hints and got it wrong fair and square, but I did think "homegrown" is a bit vague when the specific meaning "born in" is intended.  I was prepared to argue that if one's saintly works were done mostly in one country, that's plenty "homegrown," but I note the dictionary lists "raised or brought up in one's own country" as a tertiary meaning under "grown at home" (no kidding!) and (irrelevant in this case) "created in an informal or amateur manner," so maybe I'm just being obtuse.

On 11/11/2021 at 6:50 AM, zoey1996 said:

Sorry, who is Hazel, and what is her song? TIA!

No, I am, I think I was being too clever by half.  There's a poster here, whose screen name I can't remember or I'd tag them, whose avatar is the Hazel character played by Shirley Booth, as riffed on in the category "The Shirley Booth."  And I meant "playing her song" as we in my family (perhaps not normal people, I'm now realizing) use it, to indicate something not necessarily actually a song that is indicative or reminiscent of someone.  Next time I think I'll just calm down and say "Hazel, did you see that Shirley Booth category?" ;)

• Useful 2
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, secnarf said:

The Nic Cage part referenced the National Treasure movies - in the first one, his character steals the Declaration of Independence, which was the correct response to the clue. That's how I knew the answer to that question.

7 hours ago, zoey1996 said:

I did! 
Colonial Williamsburg had an exhibit of the Stone copper engraving of the Declaration of Independence, so that and the National Treasure reference gave it to me.

Thank you, @Secnarf and @Zoey1996.

4 hours ago, 853fisher said:

No, I am, I think I was being too clever by half.  There's a poster here, whose screen name I can't remember or I'd tag them, whose avatar is the Hazel character played by Shirley Booth, as riffed on in the category "The Shirley Booth."  And I meant "playing her song" as we in my family (perhaps not normal people, I'm now realizing) use it, to indicate something not necessarily actually a song that is indicative or reminiscent of someone.  Next time I think I'll just calm down and say "Hazel, did you see that Shirley Booth category?" ;)

Her screen name is @CraftyHazel. I knew Shirley Booth had played Hazel, but I wasn't sure what the "song" was. The only "Hazel" song I know is this oldie: 

• Love 5

12 hours ago, SoMuchTV said:

I read the novel at poolside at our apartment. complex when I was a teen. The book has funny lines in it - or so I thought, couldn't swear on it now. The people in the apartment complex probably thought I was really weird, laughing out loud while I read The Exorcist. They were probably right.

11 hours ago, secnarf said:

Speaking only for myself, I answered Arthur Miller solely because I knew he was a playwright around that time. I didn't think of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead, but even if I had, I would have had no idea who wrote it.

Same.

1 hour ago, ABay said:

A couple of days late, but I only knew Mark Bolan because of the fantastic TV series Life on Mars (UK).

I didn't know Bolan from his picture, even though I saw the series. I saw both the US and the UK version. It was fascinating how different the soundtracks were for the same time period. I was unfamiliar with some of the UK music, but the UK version was much better - I hated the ending of the US version.  Especially after seeing the brilliant ending of the UK version.

Friday's game was brutal for me. Did not get a whole lot. Much of it I vaguely knew, but the answer just wouldn't coalesce. Oh well, that's the way it goes sometimes.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 3
On 11/12/2021 at 8:00 PM, Browncoat said:

TS I got include cornice, tuna, Penn Station, anther, and Edinburgh.

My first guess was Penn Station, but isn't there a Penn Station in NY today?  Was it 'famously' demolished and rebuilt?

On 11/13/2021 at 9:23 AM, ABay said:

A couple of days late, but I only knew Mark Bolan because of the fantastic TV series Life on Mars (UK).

I recognized him immediately, but called him Tommy Bolin, an entirely different (dead) rock star.

On 11/12/2021 at 10:14 PM, SoMuchTV said:

I stayed up most of one night reading this as a teenager.  Mostly because I was too terrified to turn off the lights and run to my bedroom.

• Love 3
On 11/13/2021 at 1:06 AM, 853fisher said:

That would be me, lol.

I’ve always heard “they’re playing our song” to mean that this is a subject with which we should be familiar.  So it works for me!  I just didn’t see it, because I usually binge my Jeopardy episodes on the weekends, since my small charge hates when I watch Jeopardy.  She’d prefer a steady diet of Peppa Pig, I do believe.

• Love 5
3 hours ago, bankerchick said:

My first guess was Penn Station, but isn't there a Penn Station in NY today?  Was it 'famously' demolished and rebuilt?

It was a masterpiece of the Beaux-Arts style, but the Pennsylvania RR sold air rights to the property during a downturn.  The station was demolished in 1963 and redeveloped from street level up, while the rail infrastructure below kept running with a new bare-bones building around it.  This was considered one of the major losses that helped cultivate broader interest and eventually policy addressing historic preservation.  The rail areas were substantially renovated in the last year or two, and I understand they're less awful now, but as first rebuilt, Penn Station was really ugly, and not especially functional.  I actually preferred the Port Authority Bus Terminal.

As an aside, the Hotel Pennsylvania across the street is due to be torn down in the new year, I learned this week!  It's certainly not a loss of quite the same caliber, but is a bit jarring.  It's a handsome building with some interesting features and was one of that dying breed, the affordable midtown hotel.  It kept the phone number popularized in the Glenn Miller song, PEnnsylvania 6-5000 (736-5000), until the end. 

1 hour ago, CraftyHazel said:

That would be me, lol.

I knew it was [something] Hazel!  I'm just as bad with names online as in real life.  Anyway, sorry for all the to-do. ;)

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 4
  • Love 4

I just checked the archive since I'll be watching football tonight; thankfully, I either didn't need to see the photos or seeing them wouldn't have helped, so it wasn't an issue.

The contestant who missed out on the tie by just one dollar must be pretty frustrated, but hopefully also had a great time.

I missed all but one novel, but otherwise did well in the first round, only missing two others (I joined the contestants in being stumped by the sweep second hand clue, and missed St. Peter).

In DJ, though, I didn't run a single category.  I missed three each in famous names and composers, and one each in the rest.

It took longer than it should have for FJ to spring to mind, but it finally did.

Wow! That was a ridiculously long time they gave her on that DD!!! Not just until she started to answer, but an extra couple of seconds to give her time to come up with "Carter" ("Who is Howard....................Carter?")

• Love 4

All I will say is, it's Monday.

47% / 40% / 44% 😔

Got the missed clues of shock, moray eel, and Great Pacific Garbage Patch. Not a single DD. Didn't run any categories, but I anti-ran A Teams and Famous Names. Got four each in Time, Foreign Words/Phrases, and Ocean.

FJ was an instaget, at least.

Molly reminded me of Hilary Swank.

And just because I had to...

Edited by ams1001
  • LOL 7
  • Love 1

I got FJ after getting stuck on Avalon for about 5 seconds.

I got the missed clues of moray eel and garbage patch.

I got the entire category of novel quotes right.

so-so night.

28 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

but I anti-ran A Teams

I didn't realize that it was an "A" category until there were only 2 clues left. Not sure if that knowledge would have helped or not.  I know I still wouldn't have gotten Avalanche.  And I did get the top 2.

8 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I didn't realize that it was an "A" category until there were only 2 clues left. Not sure if that knowledge would have helped or not.  I know I still wouldn't have gotten Avalanche.  And I did get the top 2.

I didn't realize it at first, either. I might have gotten Athletics if I'd had "A" on my mind, but other than that, it wouldn't have helped me. (My dad's baseball fandom is "the Yankees, the A's, and whoever's playing the Mets." The A's is because he grew up in South Jersey near Philly so that was his team when he was a kid. He was born in 1939 (he'll be 82 on Wednesday!); the team moved to Kansas City in '55 and Oakland in '68. )

• Love 2

I had always thought a "sweep second hand" was one that moved continuously, as opposed to making one tick per second.  Google seems to think I was half right, with the other half reflecting J!'s definition - a second hand that's on the same dial as the hour and minute hands, as opposed to on its own little dial.  So I can see how a player might be confused.

Also, darn you, Schmigadoon! for planting the incorrect FJ response of Brigadoon in my head!

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Molly reminded me of Hilary Swank.

That’s exactly what I was going to say. Especially some of her facial expressions. I also had a lot of trouble understanding what Jeff was saying. 
   I came up with Moray eel and spent FJ stuck in Sherwood Forest. 😂

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Browncoat said:

Andrew was killing me with his slowness in picking the next clue tonight.  He hasn't always been so slow, has he? 

Yes, lol. I noticed it in his first game. I don't *think* we've had clues left on the board during his run (maybe because Ken keeps things moving at such a brisk pace) so I haven't had to get annoyed with him yet, but the first time that happens due to his deliberation, he's on my list!

Edited by kassandra8286
  • Love 2

I got all the Hitchcock movies! (And added a shouted “Criss cross!” for Strangers on a Train, just to amuse myself.) (I’m easily amused.)

2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I came up with Moray eel and spent FJ stuck in Sherwood Forest. 😂

Ha! I also got lost in Sherwood Forest, even though I was sure it was wrong.  I hate it when wrong answers jump into my head and refuse to budge. But at least I wasn’t wandering the forest alone.

Edited by 30 Helens
  • Love 8
8 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Ha! I also got lost in Sherwood Forest, even though I was sure it was wrong.  I hate it when wrong answers jump into my head and refuse to budge. But at least I wasn’t wandering the forest alone.

I couldn't stop thinking:
     uhhh--the place where the stone from The Sword and the Stone was when he pulled out the sword

8 hours ago, possibilities said:

I actually appreciated a few of Ken's ad libs today. Maybe he's an acquired taste.

Yes.
Ken finally won my heart with "As Dean Martin might have said, 'That's a moray'"
actually singing "a mor-ay" as Dean Martin would.
Do we know if that was totally spur of the moment?

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

• Love 6
43 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Ken finally won my heart with "As Dean Martin might have said, 'That's a moray'"

actually singing "a mor-ay" as Dean Martin would.
Do we know if that was totally spur of the moment?

I've recently developed a taste for Dean Martin's music, which is a puzzling to me as it is to my husband. But I'm very fond of his music. So I really liked Ken's quip.

Even if I'd remembered the category was "A's" - I wouldn't have gotten anywhere as it was all sports teams. Not my wheelhouse.

I could not get "garbage patch" into my head - despite the fact that just the other day we watched a piece on the cleanup effort (which is amazing).

I got Camelot right away, due to having been a big fan of Arthurian stories in my younger days. 

A fairly lousy day for me, but at least I got FJ!

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 5

Article I ran across about mayim not fitting in behind the scenes, hesitant to hire her long term for this reason.  Specifically say she picks her own wardrobe and is insistent in this. 

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/why-jeopardy-host-mayim-bialik-allegedly-isnt-fitting-in-while-working-on-the-game-show

Also says ken jennings won't be the long term host. I just assumed one of those two would take over but maybe not. 

• Useful 7
27 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Article I ran across about mayim not fitting in behind the scenes, hesitant to hire her long term for this reason.  Specifically say she picks her own wardrobe and is insistent in this. 

https://www.cinemablend.com/television/why-jeopardy-host-mayim-bialik-allegedly-isnt-fitting-in-while-working-on-the-game-show

Also says ken jennings won't be the long term host. I just assumed one of those two would take over but maybe not. 

Go, BUZZY!!!

• Love 16
On 11/12/2021 at 8:00 PM, Browncoat said:

I immediately thought of "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead", but it took me a couple of seconds to remember who wrote it.

I should've gotten that one.  I actually have a copy of the film on my shelf.  But nope, I didn't even consider a British playwright.  Ack.

On 11/14/2021 at 10:23 AM, bankerchick said:

I drive past Penn Station in Baltimore every time I go to the Walters Art Gallery (or anything else on Charles Street) so it was an instaget for me, but I also knew that the original Penn Station in NYC was demolished despite being a beautiful Beaux Arts building of great historical significance.  The current building isn't nearly as remarkable.

17 hours ago, illdoc said:

Wow! That was a ridiculously long time they gave her on that DD!!! Not just until she started to answer, but an extra couple of seconds to give her time to come up with "Carter" ("Who is Howard....................Carter?")

It did seem like it, but they have a timer for Daily Doubles so I'm sure it wasn't any longer than others.  She just took the entire allotted time.

16 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I might have gotten Athletics if I'd had "A" on my mind, but other than that, it wouldn't have helped me.

My father used to regale me with tales of Connie Mack and the Philadelphia As.  He'd have risen from the grave (or from the places we scattered his ashes, anyway) if I had missed that one.  Between that and his having worked years for the Pennsylvania RR, there are certain categories I am not allowed to screw up.  For my mom, it's John Wayne and Gone With the Wind.

On 11/12/2021 at 10:05 PM, shapeshifter said:

I first thought "viola"

I got viola because it clearly wasn't a cello and a violin wouldn't have fit the clue since Stradivarius is well known as a violin maker.

On 11/12/2021 at 11:11 PM, secnarf said:

Me, too.

On 11/13/2021 at 12:02 AM, j5cochran said:

Am I the only one who guessed Edward Albee (Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?) for Final Jeopardy?

Oh, well. I'll see myself out.

My best friend did.  I guessed Eugene O'Neill.

On 11/13/2021 at 12:07 AM, dgpolo said:

Only because I couldn't think of anyone else even thought the Murder of Ganzago seemed really familiar to me and I have seen Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead.

I knew that was the play within a play in Hamlet and still didn't get FJ correct.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

I read the article and I wonder if it's true, or just a rumor? Is the site or author reliable? I can't tell from the tone. I wouldn't be shocked at all to find out it's true, but we also heard that ratings were up when Mayim was hosting. 

"She's difficult and dresses funny" is certainly the kind of thing I wouldn't find surprising to hear out of this team. But then again, we also heard that ratings are up, and that usually weighs in people's favor.

I don't actually care if they keep her or replace her, I'm just wondering about the sourcing.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, possibilities said:

I read the article and I wonder if it's true, or just a rumor? Is the site or author reliable? I can't tell from the tone. I wouldn't be shocked at all to find out it's true, but we also heard that ratings were up when Mayim was hosting. 

"She's difficult and dresses funny" is certainly the kind of thing I wouldn't find surprising to hear out of this team. But then again, we also heard that ratings are up, and that usually weighs in people's favor.

I don't actually care if they keep her or replace her, I'm just wondering about the sourcing.

Yeah I have no idea who the source is or the reputation of cinemablend. 

But the part about her outfits seems believable based on what I've seen.  So it doesn't seem far fetched or off the wall to think it's true. 

• Love 2

I don’t know a lot about CinemaBlend, but they have a reputation for producing clickbait. (Guess we all helped them in their mission today!) So I wouldn’t put a whole lot of stock into what sounds like unsubstantiated gossip, anyway.

If “insists on choosing her own wardrobe” is the worst thing the staff can say about her, then she sounds like a great co-worker. Have they forgotten about Mike Richards already? And it’s not like she’s insisting on string bikinis or clown costumes. Her wardrobe has been fine. Not to my personal taste, but fine.

The article they linked to about why Ken Jennings won’t be permanent host also had no reasons why he wouldn’t be permanent host. Are we supposed to take the fact that production didn’t tell him when his first episode would air as an indication they don’t trust him, or that he’s not in the loop? Obviously that’s not the reason.

I don’t trust any of this “reporting”. Mayim and/or Ken may not be chosen ultimately, but I doubt for any of the reasons given. 

1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Go, BUZZY!!!

Go, Brad! (Sorry, couldn’t pass up the chance. 😉)

• Love 9
1 hour ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Article I ran across about Mayim not fitting in behind the scenes, hesitant to hire her long term for this reason.  Specifically say she picks her own wardrobe and is insistent in this. 

I suspect that part of her choosing her own wardrobe is religious. Many years ago she was on What Not To Wear and discussed her desire to dress modestly. I frankly like what she has been wearing on the show, except for that gawd-awful neon yellow-green satin blouse she wears about once a week. 

Though, as others have commented, we have no clue whether the author of the article really has any inside connection with the crew, or if he's just creating clickbait. I wonder if Alex Trebek's wardrobe was chosen by the show personnel.

• Love 5