Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

2 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said suriname and then changed my answer to South Africa. 

Me too. Even though I was also registering that Afrikaans and Dutch are not the same language.

23 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I loved her. I thought she had a lot of knowledge in a variety of categories, and I loved that she subverted my stereotypes, because when I heard what she does for a living, and I saw what how she dressed, I immediately thought I wouldn't like her. Shame on me! Also, I found her "regional Kit Kat" story strangely interesting-- I now am craving a tour of "Kit Kats of Japan"

(I'm speaking of the female contestant; I am embarrassed to say I don't remember her name.)

It was Cindy! Actually she reminded me a lot of how they portrayed Janine in the Netflix Babysitters Club series. The sound of her voice was so similar I spend a while trying to figure out where I knew her from.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

She only has to keep it up one more day since Ken starts hosting Monday.

Please tell me you don't mean Ken (the chipmunk) Jennings?  Another week without Jeopardy for me then.  Sigh.

• Love 1
54 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

As sloppy as it may have been, I'm SO glad that the Mike Richards-less judges ruled that the correct responses in a category called "Regular Verbs" would have to be VERBS!

I think the problem with "depreciate/tion" was as soon as the first four syllables were out, Mayim ruled him correct, and he sort of swallowed the "tion" part of the word under her ruling him correct. (as I recall; I may be misremembering.)

• Love 3
5 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I think that as Mayim has become more comfortable as host, she's leaving her wardrobe comfort zone - I thought her outfit looked great tonight. It fit way better than her earlier outfits. I hope she keeps it up.

I love her new style. So glad that Jeopardy! is putting in effort for Mayim’s wardrobe and stylist. The clothing fits almost as well as Alex’s wardrobe. Arguably, it is more difficult to fit a woman’s jacket than a man’s jacket but Mayim leaves the jacket open when needed instead of displaying the pulls and poor button placements. Excellent decision; so pleased. I can hardly wait to see what she is wearing each day. The wardrobe no longer distracts from Mayim’s hosting. 

• Love 7
6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think the problem with "depreciate/tion" was as soon as the first four syllables were out, Mayim ruled him correct, and he sort of swallowed the "tion" part of the word under her ruling him correct. (as I recall; I may be misremembering.)

I think you are correct.

5 hours ago, Glitches said:

The wardrobe no longer distracts from Mayim’s hosting. 

I didn't even notice what she was wearing last night. 

• Love 4
34 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Was a clue left on the board due to the time taken to deal with and explain the Depreciation and Whip SNAFUs in the REGULAR VERBS category?

Only one $400 clue was left in DJ, none in the J round. Don't remember which round Whip was in, but typically the extra chatter doesn't prevent clues from being revealed, editing fixes that.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Was a clue left on the board due to the time taken to deal with and explain the Depreciation and Whip SNAFUs in the REGULAR VERBS category?

I thought it was more likely due to the time the two challengers took to say "can I please have..." and the like so many times.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 1
  • Love 8
3 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Only one $400 clue was left in DJ, none in the J round. Don't remember which round Whip was in, but typically the extra chatter doesn't prevent clues from being revealed, editing fixes that.

I was so sad that they didn't get to that last clue.  It was Cindy's last chance to pull ahead of the guy who won.  She was only $200 off the lead.

• Love 5
10 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I didn't even notice what she was wearing last night. 

I rarely notice what anyone is wearing, unless I find it especially appealing or appallingly ugly.

4 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Ken's hosting through the end of 2021, not just next week.

Not too long ago, I would have been very happy to see this. But now… meh? I do like Ken, but it seems Mayim has really grown on me. I will miss her.

• Love 6

73% / 67% / 69%

J!: Ran Playing "Cards" and 3 of a Kind, missed one Joker, three Straits, and two each in the others.

DJ: Ran Florist's Reading List, missed one Classic Album, three States and two each in the others.

FJ: Did not get it. My brother had plenty of GI Joe when we were kids (in the 80s); never heard of him as a "Land Adventurer."

Missed clues I got: Card Sharks, Gibralter (my only DD), oleander, and Rose for Emily

My best game of the week (by one point over last night).

49 minutes ago, 30 Helens said:

Not too long ago, I would have been very happy to see this. But now… meh? I do like Ken, but it seems Mayim has really grown on me. I will miss her.

She has grown on me, too, I'll admit. I'll get used to Ken and then...🤷🏻‍♀️ I hope they make a decision and just get a permanent host in January.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 2

Had I been there, I would have had "G.I. Joe" crossed out on my response card. 
It was my instaget, but I rejected it because I confused those little plastic Army figurines from the 1950s (or earlier?) as being G.I. Joes, so 1964 seemed too late. 

Like Julian from Wednesday, Jeff seemed to not do as well when he had more time to think with his DDs. Or maybe it's just that they would never have buzzed in on those clues if they had seen them.

• Love 2

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  So much so that I questioned my response, but couldn't come up with anything better, so stuck with it.

I also got the TS of Strait of Dover, Emily, and oleander.  I had a roommate in college who wrote a paper on "A Rose for Emily" -- she titled it, "But He Never Rose For Emily."  Bless her heart, she was unaware of the double entendre.

• LOL 9
  • Love 2

I looked up what a larb salad is and now I want one.

I got GI Joe before time ran out, but only after I threw out my initial instinct to say "slinky". What can I say? I spent quite a bit of time trying to get a metal slinky to walk down stairs, and it never worked, so it fell out of favor in my household. I realize I'm absurd.

• LOL 4
  • Love 4
1 minute ago, possibilities said:

I spent quite a bit of time trying to get a metal slinky to walk down stairs, and it never worked

We could get our metal slinky to walk down two or three steps at most, but it was quite disappointing.

• Love 3

Great game.  I was rooting for Kate, but I'd have still thoroughly enjoyed it if one of the others had won. 

The Dover TS surprised me.

And now I'm craving larb gai, but I'm already brining pork chops for dinner.  Maybe tomorrow.

I missed two in kings & queens and one each in straits and clubs, but got everything else in the first round.

I had a fantastic DJ round, I believe my best ever, missing only two (the Emily TS and one in computer history [I'd never heard of Moore]).

FJ was an instaget, then I second guessed myself that maybe it had been introduced earlier than that, but I stuck with it -- I'd never heard "land adventurer", but falling out of favor in '69/'70 screamed G.I. Joe to me.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

I rarely notice what anyone is wearing, unless I find it especially appealing or appallingly ugly.

I generally would have preferred Ken to Mayim, but she has grown on me. I think even more than that, the consistency has grown on me. And she is getting comfortable enough to give corrections, ask for BMS etc which they had been minimizing with the guest hosts.

I initially misread/heard the FJ category as "tools" instead of "toys". Once I grasped that it was "toys", it was an instaget. I was very confused when I thought it was "tools" based on the wording of the clue.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Ken's hosting through the end of 2021, not just next week.

Just when I thought things couldn't get any worse.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I got GI Joe before time ran out, but only after I threw out my initial instinct to say "slinky". What can I say? I spent quite a bit of time trying to get a metal slinky to walk down stairs, and it never worked, so it fell out of favor in my household. I realize I'm absurd.

"Larb" is too close to "lard" for me ever want to try it.

Welcome to the bazillion member family of absurd failed slinky owners.

Edited by Leeds
  • LOL 2
14 hours ago, ams1001 said:

FJ: Did not get it. My brother had plenty of GI Joe when we were kids (in the 80s); never heard of him as a "Land Adventurer."

I waffled on it, but the timing seemed the right timing for GI Joe.  So I did get it. I vaguely remember him being repackaged (if only from commercials of the day). I looked it up and Land Adventure seemed to have only been used from 70-76. I guess maybe once the war was over, they went back? The article I read was unclear about that transition.

13 hours ago, possibilities said:

I ordered one once because "larb" just amused me and was fun to say. I liked it. Not my favorite Thai dish, but it was good.

I did pretty well. Didn't run any categories, but got a majority of clues.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I waffled on it, but the timing seemed the right timing for GI Joe.  So I did get it. I vaguely remember him being repackaged (if only from commercials of the day). I looked it up and Land Adventure seemed to have only been used from 70-76. I guess maybe once the war was over, they went back? The article I read was unclear about that transition.

Ah...I was born in '75; I would never have seen the commercials.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, The Wild Sow said:

OK, I'm not sure if this has been addressed -- but how the heck is "Whip" not a VERB??

Whip is a verb, a whip is a noun. And yes, it has been addressed.

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

Although I find Mayim's clear diction much easier to understand than Ken's rather wheezy voice, I'd be a loyal Jeopardy! viewer with either of them as host. However, if the selection goal includes not only keeping the diehards but also attracting new viewers -- as it should! -- the list may need to be longer.

• Love 3

Today, Nov. 8, marks one year since Alex passed away.

I didn't know what to make of the clue last Tuesday about the Property Brothers when immediately after there was a commercial with the Property Brothers hawking American Family Insurance. Made me wonder how many clues/answers are paid promotions.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
20 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

Today, Nov. 8, marks one year since Alex passed away.

I didn't know what to make of the clue last Tuesday about the Property Brothers when immediately after there was a commercial with the Property Brothers hawking American Family Insurance. Made me wonder how many clues/answers are paid promotions.

Probably more than a few. And then there are the complete categories that serve as promotions.

• Love 4
On 11/4/2021 at 7:39 PM, SyracuseMug said:

Generally speaking, one can be fully vaccinated and still get Covid. White House press secretary Jen Psaki is a recent example. I haven’t been following the story behind Aaron Rodgers, but the fact that he tested positive doesn’t necessarily prove anything regarding his vaccine status.

Aaron Rodgers never actually said he was vaccinated.  He claimed to be "immunized" but then said something about herbal treatments.  At best, he was rather disingenuous about his vaccination status since it turns out that he has not received the vaccination.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:23 PM, saber5055 said:

And I admit "Oslo" in yesterday's FJ clue helped me more than five years of art history classes. Pretty much all painters are "crazy."

Yep, it was "Oslo" that gave me that FJ, too.

As for Friday's FJ, it was instaget for me.  My Barbies much preferred hanging out with the neighbors' GI Joes since they had "real hair" (some kind of fuzz) and neat scars, whereas Malibu Ken was just plastic.  Ah, fond memories of childhood.

• LOL 2
  • Love 6
On 11/5/2021 at 8:40 PM, Browncoat said:

We could get our metal slinky to walk down two or three steps at most, but it was quite disappointing.

Mine would walk down the entire staircase, but they were pretty steep stairs and were uncarpeted at that time.  Maybe that made the difference?

On 11/5/2021 at 10:31 PM, Bastet said:

The Dover TS surprised me.

I absolutely should've known that one but for some reason I didn't.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
19 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Mine would walk down the entire staircase, but they were pretty steep stairs and were uncarpeted at that time.  Maybe that made the difference?

Our stairs were uncarpeted, but not terribly steep, so maybe it is the steepness.

• Useful 3
38 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I absolutely should've known that one but for some reason I didn't.

Going to small talk...

5 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Yep, it was "Oslo" that gave me that FJ, too.

As for Friday's FJ, it was instaget for me.  My Barbies much preferred hanging out with the neighbors' GI Joes since they had "real hair" (some kind of fuzz) and neat scars, whereas Malibu Ken was just plastic.  Ah, fond memories of childhood.

My first thought was Van Gogh but then I reread Oslo and knew that must be wrong but I couldn't think of any Norwegians in time.

My brother's GI Joes used to take my Barbies hostage...

• LOL 12

I was glad to see Ken back, although he was nearly too chatty for me a few times.   I don't know what to make of "now hosting Jeopardy" rather than "here is the host of Jeopardy."  I wish Mayim no ill, appreciate her considerable improvement, and could live with her if I have to, but I still prefer Ken.

I didn't quite understand what happened around Kate's "Washington DC" answer in the second round.  I assume somebody must have flashed the wrong light or given some other confusing signal off camera while she was still finishing her answer?  That was very strange.

I did get FJ this time, although I wonder whether anyone onstage really knew it rather than making an educated guess like I did.  According to a little research after the clue, Rep Langston only served 6 months of his 2 year term, having had to contest the results of the election at length on the basis of voter intimidation and fraud: he lost his bid for reelection.  Earlier in his career he had served as Ambassador to Haiti and the Dominican Republic.  I may have to pick up a biography about him soon.

The Elton John category might as well have been in Greek.  I got "Crocodile Rock" and had at least heard of 3 of the other 4, but didn't know their lyrics at all.  Too bad for me, since it was an interesting idea that reminded me of "Whew," a short-lived game show that became a cult classic on the strength of a few grainy tapes and just recently started to be rerun for the first time in over 40 years.  The format there revolved around correcting similar "bloopers," with the wrinkle that your opponent could place blocks up and down the board.  You can find many videos on YouTube if that sounds interesting.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 6

70% / 60% / 64%

Meh start to the week. The only category I ran was Legal EE, my only DD was Salt Lake City, and my only TS was Romans. No FJ (but every time I hear the name Langston Hughes I start singing La Vie Boheme from RENT…to the stage!).

27 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I was glad to see Ken back, although he was nearly too chatty for me a few times.   I don't know what to make of "now hosting Jeopardy" rather than "here is the host of Jeopardy."  I wish Mayim no ill, appreciate her considerable improvement, and could live with her if I have to, but I still prefer Ken.

I didn't even catch that. I like Ken and it seemed like everyone was having fun tonight.

17 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Loved Mayim and not a fan of Ken. To me, his voice isn’t conducive to this job.  

I like him but I do admit he doesn't have a "broadcast" sort of voice.

The tribute card at the end...😢

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 1

I made an educated guess for FJ tonight, though my first thought (before reading the whole clue) on seeing "Virginia" was Doug Wilder.  Then I finished the clue, and had to think about congressmen instead of governors. Then I switched my thought process to poets, and came up with the correct response for FJ in the nick of time.

I also got the TS of Everest and Cincinnati. 

It does not hurt my feelings that Kate did not win again, although Dane needs to cut it out with the swaying.  Kate's "woo!" every time she answered correctly was getting on my nerves. 

34 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

The tribute card at the end...😢

I know, right?

• Love 3
8 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

It does not hurt my feelings that Kate did not win again, although Dane needs to cut it out with the swaying.  Kate's "woo!" every time she answered correctly was getting on my nerves. 

I was really hoping Elena would win because we had exactly the same feelings about the other contestants.  Loved seeing Ken hosting though!

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Love 6

I was almost certain the poet was Langston Hughes, and it's a good thing they didn't require any more than "Langston" because I wouldn't have been able to provide it. Had never heard of the Congressman and didn't know where Hughes' first name came from.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Aaron Rodgers never actually said he was vaccinated.  He claimed to be "immunized" but then said something about herbal treatments.  At best, he was rather disingenuous about his vaccination status since it turns out that he has not received the vaccination.

When asked if he was vaccinated, he said, "Yeah, I'm immunized." The "yeah" makes it inescapably a lie, IMO.

I liked Kate, but I had a feeling after she won on Friday that she wouldn't win again. She just didn't seem like that strong of a player.

What the hell kind of dormitory doesn't let you inside at night? Spending a season with daylight nearly all the time and not being allowed to sleep at night sounds like sheer torture.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

The Elton John category might as well have been in Greek.  I got "Crocodile Rock" and had at least heard of 3 of the other 4, but didn't know their lyrics at all.

Haha. That was the one category I knew all of. I even wondered how they decided what was 200 vs 1000, since they were all equally obvious. Sometimes it pays to be old!

For FJ, my thought process was AA poet with a first name that could be a last name and lucked into the correct response. 

• Love 7

I managed to pull FJ out of my brain, in part because I knew--thanks to Matt--that I only needed to know a first name of a black poet that sounded like a last name.
Plus, I had a cup of green tea during the break, because my son-in-law is on his way over to look at my washing machine valves.

I like Ken and it seemed like everyone was having fun tonight.

Yes, Ken's sense of fun was more infectious than Mayim's, IMO. 

I do admit he doesn't have a "broadcast" sort of voice.

That's true. Ken's voice doesn't project very much. But it's adequate, and I find it comforting to know we have a stand-in.

I would love to be the one to paint Kate's portrait in oils--I'm sure I could do what she has in mind, and had just been thinking about how her non-traditional looks would make her a great model--but I'm also sure she'll find an artist in D.C. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
5 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

What the hell kind of dormitory doesn't let you inside at night? Spending a season with daylight nearly all the time and not being allowed to sleep at night sounds like sheer torture.

I assumed that meant you couldn't get in if you were late... according to this site for expats, "most dorms lock up for the night and then you will need to wake up the guard when coming back late."

Which kind of blows my mind. I mean, my college dorms locked up after a certain time but residents had a key that would open the door at the main entrance of their building.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

One of the things I appreciate about Ken Jennings is his snark. Test Audition Ken had no snark at all, at least the way I'm remembering it, and it was like he was playing the part of a generic game show host. At least the real Ken was present today. I enjoyed this show a lot, and I appreciate Mayim as well.

• Love 10