Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

23 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Nah. If they'd called the category FUN WITH FLAGS instead of FLAGGING INTEREST you and Amy/Mayim *know* Sheldon Cooper would have sued them for copyright infringement.

But I *really* wish they had done so.🙁
We would've *loved* to hear Mayim read it, right?!?

They should just make it a regular category and have Jim Parsons and mayim do the clues together. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I have a college degree in Mass Communications. (Close to three years from now, the loan will be paid off. Yay Me). I graduated in 2000. There are days, weeks and months where I wonder where my intellectual stamina went. Tonight, I was thrilled for myself when I yelled out "Cervantes" for Man of La Mancha. Yes, it was an easy answer but I DON'T Care!!!! In my middle aged mind, I actually came up with a college level answer. I get the same feeling when I get a random science/math question right. I feel like I can take on the world...Thanks Jeopardy...

Now, give me a bluegrass musician category so I can RULE....

• LOL 4
  • Love 6
24 minutes ago, 3 is enough said:

I missed all of last week’s shows so I have not seen that many games with Jonathan.  Does he always make faces when he is looking for an answer?  It is quite distracting.

Yes, he does...and yes, it is.

• Love 4

I got Goodall having understood that FJ questions are usually not trying to trick me.  When they mentioned Cambridge, that seemed to me to mean "name the British one," not "one went to Cambridge and the other went to Oxford, do you know which?"  I thought Fossey was another one and, having read about her murder, thought she was American, although I didn't recall or know she was from here in San Francisco.  I couldn't've named Galdikas to save my life, but fortunately, FJ was not trying to trick me.

3 hours ago, possibilities said:

I like that Jonathan talks about his "partner" even though it seems she's female. I grew up in the culture of people saying "partner" when they had one of the same gender as themselves, and when a mixed-gender couple uses the word, it always sounds like solidarity, to me. No idea if that's actually his reason for doing it, but that's how it tracks in my neck of the woods.

I wonder if it wouldn't be too impertinent a question if he ever does one of these "Ask Me Anything" threads on Reddit or something.  It seems more common to refer to a partner regardless of gender in Europe, so I wondered whether she is from there.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
2 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I couldn't've named Galdikas to save my life,

I read her book about her work with orangutans. It was VERY interesting. But I couldn't remember her name, either. I wonder why she's not as famous as Goodall or Fossey. Maybe she doesn't market herself as much. I don't think there's been a movie about her work, but I don't know why-- it was extremely interesting.

• Love 1

13 hours ago, NoThyme said:

I enjoyed watching Matt and seeing him win night after night. However, I am ready to watch a competitive game show and it just isn't happening.  It is just getting old... just my thoughts. 

I like Jonathon, I just wish he'd been a little later in the season. I enjoyed watching Matt as well, but another long term champ right after is a little too much for me too.

13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Diane Fossey.

At least she was a "trimate" - I would have said her if I could have remembered her name, because I was absolutely - and incorrectly - certain that Jane didn't have a PHD in 1966 (thought she got it later, after being well established in her work) But I did say Goodall, so yay me!

12 hours ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Really they couldn't name the category fun with flags?  

I know, right?!

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

But I am blaming having only had 2 hours of sleep last night and a very busy day right through the airing of Jeopardy for my staring at Jane Goodall's face in my mind and not being able to say her name.
Likewise I knew WRITTEN IN THE DUST category's: "Chapter 1 of this 1939 novel has quite a lot to say about dust, like 'In the morning' it 'hung like fog' was Grapes of Wrath, but could not bring the words to my lips in time.

I wish I had lack of sleep to blame for those times I see the face and can't come up with the name. It happens all too often.

When the "Dust" category was revealed, I said "Faulkner" - which was one of the answers. Unfortunately, that drove the most logical, and personally pivotal book in my life out of my brain "The Grapes of Wrath." Sigh...

12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I like that Jonathan talks about his "partner" even though it seems she's female. I grew up in the culture of people saying "partner" when they had one of the same gender as themselves, and when a mixed-gender couple uses the word, it always sounds like solidarity, to me. No idea if that's actually his reason for doing it, but that's how it tracks in my neck of the woods.

I loved that he plans to use his winnings to help her play get going. That's devotion and dedication.

• Love 5

Without looking it up, who are the 10 who have won 10 or more consecutive games?

For certain I know: Ken, Matt A., Julia, James, Arthur Chu (ugh).

Wild guess:  Roger Craig (ugh).  The other Matt who everyone thought was on the spectrum.

15 minutes ago, Paula O. said:

Wild guess:  Roger Craig (ugh). 

I believe Roger played in the "5 games and you're gone" era.

From tjf site (note: on the site, if you click on the player's name, you can bring up detailed stats): 

Through October 25, 2021, 11 players have won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!:

Ken Jennings (74 wins)

Matt Amodio (38 wins)

James Holzhauer (32 wins)

Julia Collins (20 wins)

Jason Zuffranieri (19 wins)

David Madden (19 wins)

Matt Jackson (13 wins)

Austin Rogers (12 wins)

Seth Wilson (12 wins)

Arthur Chu (11 wins)

Jonathan Fisher (11 wins)

All Time Jeopardy! Winnings, Regular Play Only:
1. Ken Jennings $2,520,700
2. James Holzhauer $2,462,216
3. Matt Amodio $1,518,601
4. Jason Zuffranieri $532,496
5. David Madden $430,400
6. Julia Collins $428,100
7. Matt Jackson $411,612
8. Austin Rogers $411,000
9. Arthur Chu $297,200
10. Seth Wilson $265,002

• Useful 4

I knew two of the women so I had a 50/50 chance but luckily saw the CBS Sunday Morning story and just heard Jane’s English accent (which of course doesn’t mean she was the one who went to Cambridge of course) 

Edited by M. Darcy
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, illdoc said:

I believe Roger played in the "5 games and you're gone" era.

From tjf site (note: on the site, if you click on the player's name, you can bring up detailed stats): 

Through October 25, 2021, 11 players have won 10 or more games on Jeopardy!:

Ken Jennings (74 wins)

Matt Amodio (38 wins)

James Holzhauer (32 wins)

Julia Collins (20 wins)

Jason Zuffranieri (19 wins)

David Madden (19 wins)

Matt Jackson (13 wins)

Austin Rogers (12 wins)

Seth Wilson (12 wins)

Arthur Chu (11 wins)

Jonathan Fisher (11 wins)

All Time Jeopardy! Winnings, Regular Play Only:
1. Ken Jennings $2,520,700
2. James Holzhauer $2,462,216
3. Matt Amodio $1,518,601
4. Jason Zuffranieri $532,496
5. David Madden $430,400
6. Julia Collins $428,100
7. Matt Jackson $411,612
8. Austin Rogers $411,000
9. Arthur Chu $297,200
10. Seth Wilson $265,002

I hate that there’s only one woman on that list. STEP IT UP, LADIES!!

• Love 2
15 hours ago, Kimmmmmm said:

Yes, he does...and yes, it is.

Eh, I hadn't noticed.  At least he's not pretending he doesn't know the answer and then gets it at the last second.

I knew FJ right away but also answered Gone with the Wind for the DD.  I knew that wasn't right, if only because I knew it was the movie and not the novel which was released in 1939, but I couldn't think of anything else.  Of course the answer was obvious once Mayim said it.

Enough with the Bible categories!  "David picked 5 stones before encountering this person" is fair enough: there are plenty of ways to know that from art and literature and so on, or from a basic "World Religions" audit.  But I don't know how anyone would know "how long did Jacob serve before marrying Rachel" or "how many people were on Noah's ark" without reasonably in-depth scriptural study.

I happen to be a practicing Christian but I don't think obscure elements of anyone's religious texts belong on a general knowledge quiz.  Maybe I would feel differently if we were ever asked about the Vedas or Hadith or anything, but we're not.  I don't know if there are really more of these than in the past, but it sure seems that way.

It's hard to describe succinctly why this annoys me so much, he wrote in his third paragraph, but it seems to reek of a sort of religious hegemony which I would like to think our society is slowly but surely moving past.  Grumping over.  For now.

Well done to Jonathan!  It will be interesting to see whether he and Matt meet again.  I think Jonathan is a little less consistent, but anything can happen.  I liked Nancy so I hope she does well tomorrow.  I was curious to know at which college she worked, and it turns out to have been Reed.  It only took us into our seventh week of the season to get a third champion. ;)

• Useful 1
  • Love 16

Decided to just watch on youtube (NYC is preempted and the Philly station is not in HD anyway).

67% / 47% / 56%

Ran no categories, no FJ, my only TSes were battery and doldrums (missed DD; also my only DD). Did get four each in Jingles (and I had the right EMF song but do not recall the ad in question), TV Shows (never saw Sex and the city, though I also never saw Mad Men or The Sopranos but I made correct educated guesses on those), and Literary Journalism.

Blah.

Edited by ams1001

I got FJ.  Frost was an educated guess and O'Neill was a wild guess.  I wanted to say Miller but I didn't think he died that early.

I got the missed clues of withdrawn, muffler, doldrums, 14, and 8.

I got the entire category of Bible numbers right.

• Love 5

Jonathan had a good run. He never cleared the board or won with a (OTT) huge daily payout but won a lot of money in the end. That said, I thought he was going to win many more games. I did miss Matt though. I liked watching him. Also, with Jonathan it gave Mayim a great platform to continue on as host with a repeat winner after Matt. 

• Love 5

That was a game!  

I got most of the Bible questions except I said 7 instead of 14 years and 6 people on the Arc (I knew it was just Noah and his family but was off by 2).

I’m kind of wondering if he should have had to say South Korean instead of just Korean. 

• Love 1
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

" or "how many people were on Noah's ark" without reasonably in-depth scriptural study.

You could have seen the musical Two by Two.

4 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

I’m kind of wondering if he should have had to say South Korean instead of just Korean. 

Wasn't the category giving the language?  

• Useful 1
  • Love 5

I am a bit sad to see Johnathan go, however there were so many close games that it seemed like he wasn't going to be there that long, still a good run for him. I look forward to seeing him vs Matt again in the Champions. 

• Love 2

While I was monologuing about the Bible, I forgot to say that I thought "that is cool...but not as cool...as you picking...right now" was a tuh-ragic transition out of the interviews. Nobody nails it all the time, but I thought that was especially bad.  Like, local access quiz bowl host bad.  Fortunately, it's an outlier for Mayim, IMO.

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 3

Jonathan must not have watched much L&O or else he would’ve known “withdrawn.” 
An I correct in that had Jonathan known “withdrawn” for his $2000 DD he might have won?

Matt and I both knew “withdrawn.” 😉

1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

Decided to just watch on youtube (NYC is preempted and the Philly station is not in HD anyway)

I watched on YouTube too because fallen trees knocked out Greenlight WiFi in Irondequoit, so no Roku, and the upstairs TV that can pick up OTA channels with an antenna is packed for my move, but thankfully I have power and good cell service. 

Sorry if TMI, but at least I’m not deserving of a BMS, heh.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • LOL 5
  • Love 2
9 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

An I correct in that had Jonathan known “withdrawn” for his $2000 DD he might have won?

I have watched a ton of L&O (though not recently) and I could not for the life of me think of "withdrawn." I felt dumb. 

• Love 3
28 minutes ago, secnarf said:

You can come back now!!

Thanks for thinking of me @secnarf. Because I check TJF every day for the FJ contest, I knew what was going to happen so today was the first day since October 11 that I've watched an episode. Nancy rocked, and it was a small pleasure to see a woman kick butt. I guess all my hexes and nighttime druid chants by a bonfire finally worked.

Although I will say I was enjoying my time off, not having to BE HERE! at a definite time every week day. I still am feeling sadness though. Looking forward to seeing someone in the ToC but not someone else.

• LOL 1
  • Love 6

I still have some hope Mike Richards was behind the increase in Bible clues (I noticed it last season [at one point, looking up the previous ten games and discovering six had religion categories, four of which were about Christianity, plus scattered clues in other categories] and once I learned he graduated from Pepperdine - a Christian university - I thought perhaps he was the reason for it and the prevalence would go away with him), and it will wind up being a more typical number of such clues/categories this season.

The battery TS surprised me.  I think a lot of people don't know the difference between assault and battery, generally hearing the two together, but only one of those is also a car part, so I was not at all expecting that to go unanswered.

I ran the entire first round!  (The TV Show Opening Credits category had me nervous, since I'm so hit and miss with pop culture depending on what decade it's from, but I got all of those even though I've only seen two of the shows.)

In DJ, I only ran world and federal agencies, but did pretty well with the rest; I missed three in Bible numbers (of course <sigh>), two in bays, and one each in foreign films and boredom (doldrums, which is a word I use, but I did not know it was also an equatorial region, and I got caught up with that, coming up with nothing).

And I got FJ - although Frost was slow to crawl out of my brain after I quickly thought of O'Neill - so that's two great games in a row for me this week.

• Love 3
On 10/25/2021 at 6:19 PM, SHD said:

I give up. Now I’m rooting for the champ. 

For those who didn’t like him, you’re welcome. All it took was one post from me supporting him to immediately jinx him. LOL 

• LOL 16
3 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

No because the answer was what language was spoken in the film.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Enough with the Bible categories!  "David picked 5 stones before encountering this person" is fair enough: there are plenty of ways to know that from art and literature and so on, or from a basic "World Religions" audit.  But I don't know how anyone would know "how long did Jacob serve before marrying Rachel" or "how many people were on Noah's ark" without reasonably in-depth scriptural study.

I am not religious, tried reading the Bible but never got far, however I was also a lit major so I know a lot of biblical stuff from that. I did know how long Jacob served (it's a cautionary tale about not trusting your employer to me). I didn't get Noah's Ark because though I knew Noah had sons, I didn't know how many, and completely forgot about wives.

I think the bible is a fairly legit category, even if I usually don't do all that well in it (Jacob excepted). Whether or not one is religious, it has had a huge influence on our culture and history.

12 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got FJ.  Frost was an educated guess and O'Neill was a wild guess.  I wanted to say Miller but I didn't think he died that early.

I said Miller, which ticks me off as O'Neill's plays have moved me more than Miller's. And since I didn't know when any of them died, it was a crap shoot.

12 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Glad she won and glad to root for a woman.

And a woman of a certain age, like me.

11 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I guess they didn't hear me yelling "DOLDRUMS!" from over here in Georgia.

Here on the west coast too.

9 hours ago, SHD said:

For those who didn’t like him, you’re welcome. All it took was one post from me supporting him to immediately jinx him. LOL 

• Love 7
12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

In the L&O universe, "withdrawn" is apparently a get-out-of-mistrial-free card, no matter what you say.

Jack McCoy:  Isn't it true, Mr. Jones, that not only are you a thief and a murderer, but you also pick your nose, crap your pants, and burn down orphanages in your spare time?

Defense Attorney:  Objection, your honor!

McCoy:  Withdrawn.

And the trial goes on, like nothing ever happened!

• LOL 11
  • Love 5
13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

got most of the Bible questions except I said 7 instead of 14 years and 6 people on the Arc (I knew it was just Noah and his family but was off by 2).

Ditto. I think it was 7 years to get Leah and then another 7 for Rachel (which makes 14). So we were right, just for the wrong sister.

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Ditto. I think it was 7 years to get Leah and then another 7 for Rachel (which makes 14). So we were right, just for the wrong sister.

And then another seven to get goats.

I feel more bad for Leah than anyone else in the Bible.  Was there no man in the entire area that would actually want to marry her that you have to pawn her off on someone who just wants to marry her sister?  Sharing a husband is bad enough, but so much worse with your sister.  That is not a way to alleviate sibling rivalry.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I think the bible is a fairly legit category, even if I usually don't do all that well in it

The bible is as legitimate of a category as any work of literature, but perhaps it would be more broadly palatable (and result in fewer TSs) if used for a clue or 2 within categories such as Religious Texts or Ancient Literature, or Flood Myths.

Bible trivia gives those who were steeped in that culture an opportunity to keep pace with those who had the options as children of learning about Nintendo or Harry Potter --both of which also populate the boards, although perhaps not so much, even as a collection of those types. 

And sometimes an entire category of bible clues leads to a lot of TSs, just like that embarrassing football category of TSs -- I think when Aaron Rodgers was hosting?

1 hour ago, illdoc said:

I think it was 7 years to get Leah and then another 7 for Rachel (which makes 14). So we were right, just for the wrong sister.

1 hour ago, Katy M said:

And then another seven to get goats.

Which is why I wrongly blurted out 20 --er, ah, I meant 21!

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

And sometimes an entire category of bible clues leads to a lot of TSs, just like that embarrassing football category of TSs -- I think when Aaron Rodgers was hosting?

Pretty sure that football category debacle happened while Alex was hosting.. I remember the droll look on his face.

Edited by graybrown bird
Quote filled in.
  • Love 7
14 minutes ago, graybrown bird said:

Pretty sure that football category debacle happened while Alex was hosting.. I remember the droll look on his face.

(I think this is the right one; can't watch it right now.)

Aaron did have a Packers question (IIRC) that no one knew, though.

Edited by ams1001
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, SHD said:

Wish you had done it sooner, but thank you.

3 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I said Miller, which ticks me off as O'Neill's plays have moved me more than Miller's. And since I didn't know when any of them died, it was a crap shoot.

I said Miller too, not knowing that he was busy getting married to Marilyn Monroe while O'Neill was busy getting dead.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4