Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I knew what was going to happen so today was the first day since October 11 that I've watched an episode.

Actually, I lied. I didn't watch yesterday's episode but planned to watch later on YouTube. Then I discovered I didn't care enough. I do plan to watch Nancy win again (not a spoiler,  just a finger crosser) today though so my 11-day sabbatical will really be over. (Never use a preposition to end a sentence with.)

• LOL 5
  • Love 1

I don't care for the new champ, but she did play a good game.  I'd have been happier with Mandela winning, though.

I got FJ because I was sure O'Neill had won lots of Pulitzers, and 20th century New England poets are almost always Frost.

Edited by proserpina65
  • Love 1
19 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I like Nancy, even if she does look like she could be Bill Gates' sister.

I guess they didn't hear me yelling "DOLDRUMS!" from over here in Georgia.

Or me yelling from Illinois.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

I think the bible is a fairly legit category, even if I usually don't do all that well in it (Jacob excepted). Whether or not one is religious, it has had a huge influence on our culture and history.

Of course it's a legitimate topic in a trivia competition.  Even though religion/mythology is one of my weakest areas, I've never advocated for the show to stop including it; that's on me, not the show.  I've never even previously advocated for them to include it less frequently.

Christianity being asked about far more often and in more detail than any other religion was always present, but what's new is that recently, since last season at least, religion - again, particularly Christianity - showed up more often than has been typical.

As I noted, one of the times I had an Another Bible category already?! reaction last season, I went to the archive to review the previous ten games to see if I just perceived there to have been a lot of them recently.  I hadn't.  In six of those ten games, there was an entire category about religion.  Four of those six were specific to Christianity.  Then there were additional religion - usually Christianity - clues in other categories.

It's too much.  If Shakespeare, opera, the Constitution, or any other topic came up that frequently, it would be too much.  There's a wide word of trivia out there, and J! needs to get back to a better percentage when it comes to how often writers reach for the bible when looking for clue ideas.

• Useful 1
  • Love 13

Catching up from Tuesday -- I only got half of FJ.  Frost was an instaget, but the only playwright I could come up with in time was Miller.  I knew it wasn't right, but that's all I had.

I did get the TS/missed DD of muffler, energy star, doldrums, and eight.  

• Love 3

Cheers to @Bastet for expressing better some of my ideas RE the Bible clues.  I may have made it sound like I thought it would never be suitable material, which I didn't intend.  It is the frequency and the focus, to the exclusion of other texts / traditions, that really bothers me.

I raised the issue with a dear friend who has been taking the contestant test for years.  He, the son of a preacher and also a regular congregant at his church, made me laugh by saying that he agreed with my perspective, but hopes they don't reduce the frequency of those clues before he gets on.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 4

87% / 60% / 72%

J!: Somewhat vindicated after the last two terrible days...Ran Handy Andy, Break Synonyms, and Gift of Grab, missed one each in British Royal Family and State Your Headquarters, and two in Plot Point Rewrites. Got the DD and TSes of Andy Warhol and shattered (two of only three for the round).

DJ: Not so good, but I ran Foods and missed one each in 4-Syllable Words and Forests. (We'll not mention the other categories.) No DDs but got the TSes of ignoramus, persecution, Uzo Aduba (I only got it after the first wrong answer but I'm taking the point because I actually know her name; I just didn't know the character), Costa Rica, and Ardennes.

FJ: Did not get (also said Elizabeth Bennett).

Yay, I was rooting for Tyler.

I liked Mayim's blouse.

• Love 2

I have to admit that I lost interest in Nancy when, after getting the first 3 clues right, she hit the first DD on the 4th in the same category, and bet less than it was worth "naturally."  She was a little bolder on the third one, unfortunately at her peril.  Oh well!

I wondered what a greenstick fracture is, and it turns out it describes a bone that has bent and cracked but not broken into separate pieces.  It occurs mostly in children.  Ouch!  In other news, I had entirely the wrong idea in "rewritten synopses" and thought "Goodnight Moon" was "The Shining."

I had "Anna Christie" for FJ, not expecting it to be right but not knowing what else to say.  I ought to get half credit since my first name was right. ;)  I wish I had perceived the Russian actress' name as a clue.  I had to look up Elizabeth Bennet.  I have a definite blind spot in literature of that era

A bit of a giggly day for Mayim, I thought, more like her first showing than the bulk of what she's done after her return.  Hopefully just a blip.

• Love 4

I also said Elizabeth Bennett for FJ.  

I had better luck with the TS, getting shattered, persecution, Costa Rica, North Korea, and Faroe Islands.  I would like to thank the M*A*S*H episode, "Follow the Yalu Brick Road" for help with the North Korea clue.

• Love 4

Anna Karenina was an instaget for FJ today, based only on the Russian name in the clue, and that I was fairly sure Keira Knightley played her at some point.

We had been chatting about women rarely betting big...I feel like Nancy had an issue of betting big at the wrong time. IMO if you hit a DD near the beginning of the game, bet as much as you can - plenty of time to make it up and in this case, all other contestants were at 0 so if she lost it all, it's just a "reset" of sorts. With a couple of clues left on the board, betting big can cost you the game. She bet enough - and lost it - to make the game a runaway for our new champ.

• Love 10

I did well in the first round. I got the TSs of Andy Warhol, Shattered and Connecticut. I ran the British Royal Family, Give me a Break and headquarters. I didn’t do as well in the second round, but did get: persecution, Costa Rica and the Farroe Islands. I did get FJ so I get an *. I rarely do so I’m happy about that. 

• Love 2

I started out thinking I should quit watching because I'm terrible at Jeopardy! and know nothing, but then found the PLOT POINT REWRITES to be a little too obvious. 

My TS gets were: reciprocal, Costa Rica, and North Korea.

Did not get FJ, even though I've read Anna Karenina at least twice, including once aloud, but it was many decades ago, and so depressing that I never watched any of the movies. I too thought of Austen, and now see that the Russian named actress was a clue.

Agree that Nancy did not grok the principles of Jeopardy! DD wagering.
At least she broke the streak of champions.

• Love 2

I was rooting for Nancy again.  Alas.

Persecution surprised me as a TS.  Andy Warhol, shattered, and ignoramus a bit, too.

I missed two Andys, two states, and one rewrite, so I had an okay first round.  Same with DJ, where I only ran international disputes and words, missing four in TV, three in artists, and one each in food and forests. 

A letdown after the two great games I had to start the week, but not bad.

Plus, I rebounded to get FJ; I knew Greta Garbo had played her (but didn't know she'd done so twice), was pretty sure Vivien Leigh had, and a Russian actor being listed confirmed I was right.  (Keira Knightly did nothing for me, which is how I usually feel about her.)

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, secnarf said:

Anna Karenina was an instaget for FJ today, based only on the Russian name in the clue, and that I was fairly sure Keira Knightley played her at some point.

I wasted some time trying to think of the name of the heroine in Dr Zhivago since I knew Keira Knightley had played her, but fortunately then realized that Anna Karenina was a Russian character name I could think of that she had played more recently. 

• Love 1

Going back to Tuesday’s game: Mandela Namaste is from Williamsville, NY, a suburb of Buffalo. As a resident of a neighboring suburb, I was naturally rooting for him. Also, he seemed like a really nice kid. I can’t imagine going through school with the name Mandela Peace Namaste! But it is a super-cool name, and fortunately Williamsville, NY is a very cool town. 

I liked Nancy and was more than ready for a new champion, so good for her! When she started off running through the Royals today, I had high hopes for her. But I guess the DD wager did her in. I like Tyler, and I liked the other contestant (whose name I have unfortunately forgotten). I like games where the winner is not a foregone conclusion. 

Lastly, I have to say that I really like Mayim as a host. I love her sense of humor, and although to some she may seem “giggly,” to me it just shows how much she enjoys being there. Her enthusiasm is contagious, at least to me. Obviously others feel differently. But I would love to see her as a permanent host. 

• Love 3

I'm trying to imagine Greta Garbo playing Elizabeth Bennett.  That would be interesting. 😀

I got Anna Karenina pretty easily.  The name of the Russian actress was the big hint.  I couldn't remember the name of the heroine of War and Peace (looking it up, I see it's Natasha), and Anna Karenina was the only other major Russian heroine that I could think of.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3
13 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Cheers to @Bastet for expressing better some of my ideas RE the Bible clues.  I may have made it sound like I thought it would never be suitable material, which I didn't intend.  It is the frequency and the focus, to the exclusion of other texts / traditions, that really bothers me.

I raised the issue with a dear friend who has been taking the contestant test for years.  He, the son of a preacher and also a regular congregant at his church, made me laugh by saying that he agreed with my perspective, but hopes they don't reduce the frequency of those clues before he gets on.

And I apologize for misunderstanding the point - which is a fair point.

12 hours ago, secnarf said:

For some reason I read the category wrong, and thought the movies would be about authors - so I started thinking of authors who published their works prior to Greta Garbo, and not fictional characters. The time period consideration was valid, but not the rest of it. The Russian actress should have been a clue - but I've always had a mental block when it comes to Russian Lit, and I've never seen an Anna Karenina movie.

I did well on the boards, almost ran the Rewritten plots, but swapped out the wrong Kafka book. I got Costa Rica (don't know why, I am crap at geography), and North Korea - same problem, but made a little easier by current events.

I would have liked to see Nancy win a few more games - but Tyler played a heck of a game, so I'm content.

5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

For some reason I read the category wrong, and thought the movies would be about authors - so I started thinking of authors who published their works prior to Greta Garbo, and not fictional characters. The time period consideration was valid, but not the rest of it. The Russian actress should have been a clue - but I've always had a mental block when it comes to Russian Lit, and I've never seen an Anna Karenina movie.

I wasn't sure at first if they were going for the character or something else, either. As for Anna Karenina, I've never seen a movie nor read the book; not that familiar with Russian Lit, couldn't name a Greta Garbo movie if you paid me, or Vivien Leigh other than Gone With the Wind, never heard of the Russian actress (though it might have been a tip off if I had been inclined to think in that direction), so that left me with Kiera Knightly and the only literary character I associate with her which is Lizzie Bennett. 

I did well on the boards, almost ran the Rewritten plots, but swapped out the wrong Kafka book. I got Costa Rica (don't know why, I am crap at geography), and North Korea - same problem, but made a little easier by current events.

The only Kafka that ever comes to mind is The Metamorphosis (which I hated), which I knew was wrong. I think I got Costa Rica because it mentioned a biological reserve and I know there is a Sloth Sanctuary in Costa Rica so that's where my brain went for conservation stuff in Central America.

I would have liked to see Nancy win a few more games - but Tyler played a heck of a game, so I'm content.

I had no strong feelings either way about the champ or the challengers, so the game mostly fell into my "root for the odd one out" rule, therefore I rooted for the guy.

• Love 1
45 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

For some reason I read the category wrong, and thought the movies would be about authors - so I started thinking of authors who published their works prior to Greta Garbo, and not fictional characters.

Ditto on the misread---I was trying to come up with Russian female authors!

• LOL 1

Anna Karenina is a book I’ve read.  I sort-of knew Keira Knightley played her in a truly ridiculous (IMO) adaptation that I couldn’t make sense of and would never willingly watch again.  But I’ve never seen another film version so had no idea who else played her, and like everyone else would associate Knightley most strongly with Elizabeth Bennett.

Edited by Caoimhe
  • Love 2
17 hours ago, 853fisher said:

In other news, I had entirely the wrong idea in "rewritten synopses" and thought "Goodnight Moon" was "The Shining."

That is fantastic!

FJ was an instaget for me because I knew that both Vivian Leigh and Keira Knightley (ugh) had played Anna Karenina.  (I personally tried to erase the abomination that was the Knightley version of Pride & Prejudice from my brain.)

17 hours ago, Browncoat said:

I would like to thank the M*A*S*H episode, "Follow the Yalu Brick Road" for help with the North Korea clue.

Me too.

• Love 4

I enjoy a tipple, but almost never order call drinks, so Sailor Jerry was a miss for me.  I was still surprised I hadn't at least heard of it, especially after it was a "can't believe you didn't get that" from Mayim.  Maybe we need a bar exchange.  She can enjoy the house rum at mine while I order Sailor Jerry at hers.

Having glossed over "7,000 miles," I was very pleased with myself for remembering at the last second that the capital of New Zealand is not Wellington but Auckland.  Ummmm, no, self, that hasn't been right since 1865.  And of course, 7,000 miles!  So I should probably take my wager off twice for that one.

Dad, who loves Copeland, calls it "row-DAY-oh" and so do all the dancers and musicians I've known.  I think I read once that might have started as an affectation in response to European looking down upon American classical arts.  The man himself apparently pronounced it "ROW-dee-oh."  Didn't this come up last year?

A colleague stopped by after lunch to chat and brought me a copy of the local gay paper.  Who is on the front page but Peter from today's show?  I'm sort of tickled by his nonchalance, compared to the usual answers to "how long have you wanted to be on the show?"  The film festival he helms is a big deal around here.

• Useful 3
  • Love 4

I'm going to be watching football tonight, so this was an archive game for me.  Thankfully, there weren't too many picture clues, and I either already knew from the text (e.g. cockscomb and The Kinks), or still wouldn't have known with the picture (e.g. Butterbean and Columbia).

The Glenn Close TS surprised me a bit, just because the clue gave a third role to recognize her from ("We were unable to ignore" refers to her Fatal Attraction character).  No one guessing doll or garnet I wouldn't have predicted, either.

I understand the two-syllable pronunciation of forte to mean one's strong suit is a mispronunciation (confusing the French word with the Italian one of the same spelling) that has long since become accepted by widespread usage, but it's a personal peeve hearing fortay instead of fort, so I cringed a little at that clue.

I only ran geography and potent etymology in the first round, missing two in Anne Rice and one each in actors, bean, and geography.

In DJ, I only ran syllables and pop.  I blew the entire first name category, and also missed three in Vikings, two in science, and one in ballet.

So, another okay game, in which I finished strong by figuring out FJ (Okay, has to be South America, and southern SA at that.  What's on the West Coast down there?  Chile.  And the capital is?  Santiago).  It's a good thing I do well with geography.  I know it's a weak subject for many contestants, but I am surprised two didn't even get over to the right continent.  Seven thousand miles!

• Love 4

Everyone looked so happy to be there during the intros. 🙂

Peter reminds me of Carl from Up.

I still keep expecting to hear "Alex Trebek!" after "here's the host of Jeopardy"...

47% / 53% / 49%

Other than running One Syllable or Two? and missing one in Vikings (I said Æthelred, but he came right before Alfred), and getting the TSes of Casamigos, garnet, and doll, the less said about this abysmal game, the better.

10 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

so Sailor Jerry was a miss for me.

I never heard of it. I never heard of Casamigos, either, but I got it from just running the given words in Spanish together into the most logical portmanteau. (The only other one I got in the category was Stolichnaya.)

I said Buenos Aires.  Geography is not my strongsuit.  But, I know that 9,000 miles is a long way.  Unlike 2 of the contestants.

I got the missed clues of Alfred, Glenn Close, Casamigos and garnet.

I did not have a particularly good night.

40 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I was still surprised I hadn't at least heard of it, especially after it was a "can't believe you didn't get that" from Mayim.

I actually thought that she was making a joke and that she had never heard of it either.

• Love 3

Instaget FJ for me today.  I was surprised that two contestants missed it.  I guess they missed the “7000 miles” part of the clue?

I also got the TS of Glenn Close, Casamigos, exoskeleton, and Alvin Ailey. 

@ams1001, I also thought Peter resembled Carl!

• Love 4
40 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I enjoy a tipple, but almost never order call drinks, so Sailor Jerry was a miss for me.  I was still surprised I hadn't at least heard of it, especially after it was a "can't believe you didn't get that" from Mayim.  Maybe we need a bar exchange.  She can enjoy the house rum at mine while I order Sailor Jerry at hers.

I think she was being sarcastic,

The width of the US is approximately 3000 miles, so there's no way anything in the eastern hemisphere would have been correct. I did correctly guess Santiago and the other guess out of the clear blue sky was Columbia, MO. I literally gasped when I got it right. Scared the cat sleeping on my lap.

• LOL 3
  • Love 4
20 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I actually thought that she was making a joke and that she had never heard of it either.

11 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

So did I.

That makes more sense than the idea that I would be in the dark about rum. ;) It was in the $1000 box too, I believe. Anyway, thanks. I’ve said in the past that those comments aren’t my favorites, but I can’t complain about ‘em if I don’t pick ‘em up!

• Love 2

I came up with Glen Close, Casamigos, Doll, and FJ came easily. 

I’m surprised they used a clue with these Anne Rice’s books: The Sleeping Beauty series. Those are X rated and written under the pseudonym A.N. Roquelaure. 

• Love 3
15 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m surprised they used a clue with these Anne Rice’s books: The Sleeping Beauty series. Those are X rated and written under the pseudonym A.N. Roquelaure. 

heh...yeah, I wasn't expecting that.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, saber5055 said:

13 TSs today (counting the DD), almost one-quarter of the clues. Painful. There were 15 TSs a few days ago. Anyone know the record for most TSs in one episode?

I don’t know the answer, but these games are making me break the record for how long I can watch before wanting to throw something at the TV.

• LOL 1
2 hours ago, Katy M said:

2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

So did I.

Oh good. I thought it was the case that Mayim thought it was very esoteric knowledge, and am glad to have it confirmed here. 
But I’m wondering if there is a high proportion of viewers who thought Mayim was being snarky towards the players for not knowing and maybe those jokes are ill advised?

1 hour ago, Mindthinkr said:

Heh. Whereas I'm surprised so many Jeopardy! fans are familiar with X-rated Anne Rice books.

Despite having had only 2 hours of sleep 2 nights in a row, I managed to get the TS of exoskeleton, which was pretty much the end of the game for Judi, but good for her for trying to wager "enough."

Unfortunately, for FJ, although I was able to mentally hone in on the left coast of SA, and then picture the outline of Chile, no words materialized.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

Oh good. I thought it was the case that Mayim thought it was very esoteric knowledge, and am glad to have it confirmed here. 
But I’m wondering if there is a high proportion of viewers who thought Mayim was being snarky towards the players for not knowing and maybe those jokes are ill advised?

Heh. Whereas I'm surprised so many Jeopardy! fans are familiar with X-rated Anne Rice books.

Mayim should be herself. Alex could be snarky and Pat Sajack definately is without worrying about what the viewers at home think.

Despite having had only 2 hours of sleep 2 nights in a row, I managed to get the TS of exoskeleton, which was pretty much the end of the game for Judi, but good for her for trying to wager "enough."

Unfortunately, for FJ, although I was able to mentally hone in on the left coast of SA, and then picture the outline of Chile, no words materialized.

• Love 2
3 hours ago, Bastet said:

or still wouldn't have known with the picture (e.g. Butterbean and Columbia).

You -might- have known guessed from the picture, he was big, white, round and bald.

1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:
2 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I guessed it from the part of the clue about needing a prince to break the spell cast on her.

• Love 2
11 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

Why would you pick the 800 clue when you missed the 600 dollar clue? I was surprised they didn't mention the Mayfair Witch books in the Ann Rice category. 

I stopped reading Rice around the second book of the Mayfair series. I was clueless when it came to most of the clues.

9 hours ago, dgpolo said:

You -might- have known guessed from the picture, he was big, white, round and bald.

Which is exactly what I did. I looked at him and said butterbean, and when it was right, I laughed so hard I got into a coughing fit and we had to pause the recording.

Other than that, I had a pretty miserable night on the boards. I got Glenn Close (which is fortunate because for some reason I mix her and Meryl up often when it comes to roles). I'm sure I got some other things, but Butterbean is my achievement of the night.

• LOL 7
  • Love 1
15 hours ago, ProudMary said:

FJ: One contestant didn't know east from west and the other thinks there are 7,000 miles between Australia and New Zealand? 

And the lady contestant (can't remember her name) said Queensland.  Queensland?  It's north of Sydney in Australia, not 7,000 miles east.

• Love 2

Re FJ: I'm thinking either (a) the contestants think Australia is really huge (7000+ miles!) or (b) they thought that it was so far south that you could circumnavigate the globe at that latitude and end up back in the Australia/New Zealand area. Me, I just got as far as "someplace in South America". Geography is definitely not my strong suit.

• Love 4

I enjoy a tipple, but almost never order call drinks, so Sailor Jerry was a miss for me.

I love rum, but have never had Sailor Jerry rum.  I've seen the bottles at the liquor store and even noticed that the logo is a hula girl tattoo, but clearly that did not impress itself on my brain well enough because I drew a complete blank on it.  Makes so now, though.

Okay, so I'm going to confess something extremely embarrassing about my FJ answer, or more accurately, lack thereof.  First, I misread the clue and thought it wanted a capital NORTH of Sydney, so I answered "I don't know, maybe Beijing?".  Then I realized my mistake and started thinking of places to the east of Australia.  Somehow, though, I decided that Africa was to the east of Australia rather than the west, and gave up my struggle to think of an African capital that was near, but not on, the Pacific Ocean.  Now, even if I'd managed to remember that South America is the continent to the east of Australia, I'd probably never have come up with Santiago, but still, I could've at least been on the correct continent.  And I consider myself pretty good with world geography!

Having glossed over "7,000 miles," I was very pleased with myself for remembering at the last second that the capital of New Zealand is not Wellington but Auckland.  Ummmm, no, self, that hasn't been right since 1865.  And of course, 7,000 miles!  So I should probably take my wager off twice for that one.

I feel a little better now.  Thanks.  If it helps, until fairly recently I had the same problem with the capital of New Zealand.

Dad, who loves Copeland, calls it "row-DAY-oh" and so do all the dancers and musicians I've known. 

Yep, my understanding has always been that the ballet is 'row-DAY-oh" and the cattle/horse-based event is "ROW-dee-o".  Not that I'd have dinged the contestant for pronunciation since it's spelled exactly the same.  But I'm glad someone with more knowledge pronounces it the way I do.

17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I said Æthelred, but he came right before Alfred

Not to be confused with Aethelred the Unready, of course.

16 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of Alfred, Glenn Close, Casamigos and garnet.

So did I, as well as doll, exoskeleton, Kentucky Woman and Alvin Ailey, which was a guessed simply based on his being a black choreographer.  They really danced around Casamigos, didn't they.  I didn't do nearly as well in the booze category as I might've expected, missing Bushmills, Goldschlager and Sailor Jerry.  And I sucked at literary first names, getting only Victor Frankenstein and John Watson.

16 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

I was also surprised by that.  Not that I think there's anything wrong with erotica but I didn't expect it to be included in a Jeopardy clue.

15 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

I'd like to claim that it's only because I worked in a bookstore for a long time, but I do have more than a passing familiarity with erotica.  I haven't read those particular books, but I have heard of them.  Let's just say that Prince Charming's method of waking Beauty is VERRRRY different in the first book.

1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

And the lady contestant (can't remember her name) said Queensland.  Queensland?  It's north of Sydney in Australia, not 7,000 miles east.

At least my stupid guess was not IN Australia.

20 minutes ago, illdoc said:

Re FJ: I'm thinking either (a) the contestants think Australia is really huge (7000+ miles!) or (b) they thought that it was so far south that you could circumnavigate the globe at that latitude and end up back in the Australia/New Zealand area. Me, I just got as far as "someplace in South America". Geography is definitely not my strong suit.

At least you were on the right continent.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, DonnaMae said:

It's also not a city.

• Love 2