Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

That was a tough FJ.  I ran through cities in Indiana in my head (Gary was the first to come to mind), but got to Lafayette in the nick of time.  I'm claiming that just "Lafayette" would have been accepted.

And the only TS I got were grey and UCLA.

• Love 3
11 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Of course, harking back to the contestant interviews, some might consider Santa Claus a hero, but I wasn't sure if the dates would be right.  LOL.

Santa Claus only goes on tours in years ending in 0.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
27 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I said Anthony Wayne.  Because Fort wayne.  You can discuss amongst yourselves how stupid that answer is, but I thought it wasn't the worst guess in the world.

Definitely better than my guess: Johnny Appleseed. I knew there wasn't a town of Appleseed in Indiana, but that darn song about the Little Green Apples in Indianapolis in the Summertime drowned out everything else in my head.

1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

liked everyone’s interviews today. I was impressed with Jonathan’s gracious answer about the prospect of facing Matt again, liked Adam’s anecdote about Santa Claus IN which I would like to visit one day, and

I wonder if Adam is going to be in trouble with his Santa Grandma in Indiana for not knowing Lafayette?  Oops. I remembered wrong and didn't check. Santa Grandma will be proud of Adam.

And, yes, Jonathan seems like he and Matt could be good friends. If they started their own quiz show, it would be kinder and gentler than The Chase.

At least I did instaget get the TSs of Longfellow and Deere.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 2
2 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

I wonder if Adam is going to be in trouble with his Santa Grandma in Indiana for not knowing Lafayette? 

Adam was the only one who knew Lafayette.  Both Jonathan and Anna said Gary.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

In the Ford Fiesta category, I was kind of hoping someone would buzz in and try answering “Who is Ford?” just to see how far the lax BMS judging could go.

Is there a guy named Valparaiso? If not, I made him up for FJ.

• LOL 10
  • Love 2

I'm not watching until He Who I Refuse To Mention is gone, but reading here, now I have to head to the J-Archive to see the John Deere question, which would be easy peasy for me. I live in the land of Deere headquarters and I'm a tractor person. Even though I work for J.I. Case, not Deere, the farmers who work for and around me all drive green machines. (I personally fancy the little Deere L if I must go green.) The town where Mr. Deere created the first cast-iron plow, Grand Detour, Illinois has a cool museum and is a nice place to visit in northern Illinois.

FJ was a no brainer, living near so many cities named for early explorers ... Joliet, LaSalle, et. al. And I've been to Lafayette, Indiana many times for dog shows. Side note: My good friend's Scottie won its first Best In Show at Lafayette a few years ago. Special place!

I've also been to Santa Claus, Indiana. But not being a Christmas fan, I was not impressed.

ETA: I just read J-Archive and now you all know where Mr. Deere's museum and shop are located. When the plows started to be manufactured, Deere moved to Moline, Illinois, where he had access to shipping via the Mississippi River.

Edited by saber5055
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4

Again, this show's writers don't know jack about dogs and effed up another clue about them. This is from akc.org, an organization that knows just a wee little bit about dogs:

"Poodles first originated in Germany, not France. Although it is the national dog of France, the Poodle actually originated in Germany. The breed name comes from the German word, “pudel” or “pudelin,” which means “to splash in the water.” In fact, the term “French Poodle” is a misnomer."

I thought all the dumbasses were gone when MR was canned but I guess not.

• Useful 2
  • Love 5
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Again, this show's writers don't know jack about dogs and effed up another clue about them. This is from akc.org, an organization that knows just a wee little bit about dogs:

"Poodles first originated in Germany, not France. Although it is the national dog of France, the Poodle actually originated in Germany. The breed name comes from the German word, “pudel” or “pudelin,” which means “to splash in the water.” In fact, the term “French Poodle” is a misnomer."

I thought all the dumbasses were gone when MR was canned but I guess not.

Well, they did have "French" in quotation marks...

• LOL 3
  • Love 9

FJ was an instaget for me, thanks to all the colonial and American Revolutionary War history here. Also DD is a Purdue grad, West Lafayette, IN.

Also knew Deere. Dad had both John Deere and International Harvester machinery.

I’ve been to Santa Claus, Indiana, in late spring, so I bought an ornament, a calico cat, from a shop there.

Edited by zoey1996
  • Love 3
10 minutes ago, zoey1996 said:

Also knew Deere. Dad had both John Deere and International Harvester machinery.

I'm actually reading a book about agriculture which mentioned John Deere and his steel plow. (I probably would have guessed Deere anyway, though.)

• Love 3

I drew a total blank on cities in Indiana other than Indianapolis and Bloomington, neither of which seemed like the right answer. In retrospect, there are lots! I thought "Gary" was a funny answer and was enjoying that two of the contestants said it. I assume they knew it was wrong and were making a joke.

• Love 3
2 hours ago, opus said:

I thought of David Letterman and Ball State, which is in Muncie, Indiana. Muncie sounds like a last name, no?

According to Wikipedia, the Lenape people had a cluster of small villages there in the 1790s. One was called Munsee Town (I'm sure that's the white folks influence, calling it a town.) But Dave's Alma Mater is named after the Ball Brothers, makers of the Ball canning jars.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
10 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

…my guess: Johnny Appleseed. I knew there wasn't a town of Appleseed in Indiana, but…

20 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

I also thought of Johnny Appleseed.  Perhaps there may have been a city called Chapman.

No. No place with that name. And Johnny (Chapman) Appleseed only traveled within 5 states and 1 province (wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnny_Appleseed), rather than the 24 required by the clue:   
“From 1824 to 1825 this hero toured all 24 states & an Indiana city was named for him.”

• Useful 1
13 hours ago, Katy M said:

I said Anthony Wayne.  Because Fort wayne.  You can discuss amongst yourselves how stupid that answer is, but I thought it wasn't the worst guess in the world.

Not stupid----that was my choice (and I always think of him as Mad Anthony Wayne!). Gary never crossed my mind. I'm not even sure I've heard of LaFayette (and I'm in Chicago, so we hear about Indiana cities all the time (one local weatherman was once pointing to what he called "the eastern suburbs" and I screamed "that's INDIANA")).

• Love 3

The $2000 Daily Double in 'History's Mysteries' was basically the same as the Final Jeopardy clue in the game where Emma Boettcher first beat 'Jeopardy James.' Writers are sure hung up on the mysterious death of Kit Marlowe! (Jonathan got it right)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, illdoc said:

Not stupid----that was my choice (and I always think of him as Mad Anthony Wayne!). Gary never crossed my mind. I'm not even sure I've heard of LaFayette (and I'm in Chicago, so we hear about Indiana cities all the time (one local weatherman was once pointing to what he called "the eastern suburbs" and I screamed "that's INDIANA")).

I used to live in Ohio, about 50 miles from Fort Wayne, so naturally that popped in my head first.  I don't think I bothered even thinking beyond that.  

• Love 1
12 hours ago, possibilities said:

I assume they knew it was wrong and were making a joke.

I believe both of them did.  The contestants were having an animated discussion when the credits were airing with a lot of smiles.  I also went with Gary because I do not associate the Marquis de Lafayette with Lafayette, Indiana.  I'm more used to the many Fayettevilles that dot the USA.

• Love 2
13 minutes ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

I believe both of them did.  The contestants were having an animated discussion when the credits were airing with a lot of smiles.  I also went with Gary because I do not associate the Marquis de Lafayette with Lafayette, Indiana.  I'm more used to the many Fayettevilles that dot the USA.

Gary popped into my head and I got stuck there. Couldn't think of any other city in Indiana except Indianapolis. 

• Love 1
17 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I got all of “Disney Songs” and 4/5 on a few others.

It annoyed me that they included Life is a Highway as a Disney song just because it was in a Disney movie.  It's not a Disney song, damn it.  It was released by Tom Cochrane more than a decade before the movie.

16 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I knew it wasn't Gary, because, y'know, The Music Man.  "Gary, Indiana. What a wonderful name! Named for Elbert Gary of judiciary fame..."  Not quite a hero. I couldn't think of any hero named Muncie and then I remembered Jefferson's pal, LaFayette, who spent a LOT of time at Monticello while on his tour. TJ died in 1826.

I guessed Mad Anthony Wayne because of Fort Wayne, Indiana.  I know very few towns in Indiana.

I discovered that I know almost nothing about Swedish writers.  I got Pippi Longstocking and that was about it.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I discovered that I know almost nothing about Swedish writers.  I got Pippi Longstocking and that was about it.

I was annoyed because I knew Stieg Larsson and Fredrik Backman but couldn't get either name out of my brain.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, ams1001 said:

I was annoyed because I knew Stieg Larsson and Fredrik Backman but couldn't get either name out of my brain.

Same, in fact I just read Backman's, "Britt-Marie Was Here" a few weeks ago.  It's so much more frustrating to know something and not get it out fast enough than to just not know it.

I do much better with wild guesses like John Deere and Poodle because, as Saber notes Jeopardy's dog questions are likely to be very obvious. and maybe not even strictly correct.  I bet they don't even know Lassie was a male (several males.)

• Love 1
On 10/15/2021 at 11:31 AM, dcalley said:

For the last few years, Fisher has lived in Southern California where he is a professional stage actor.

So does the contestant decide where they're "from", or is it the 'runners who decide where you are "originally from" is much more interesting than where you are "from" so we're going with that?!

It seems that a noticeable plurality of contestants come "from" cities in Southern California, not to mention all the neighborhoods within LA. (Guess what, viewers, all those contestants "from" Woodland Hills, Northridge, Hollywood, Brentwood, etc. - they're all "from" the City of Los Angeles, although relatively few are actually from there.)

On 10/15/2021 at 11:02 AM, vibeology said:

When you've got that Big Bang Theory money, you can afford all the glasses you want.

Not to mention the Blossom fortune - the compounding alone must be in the thousands!☺️

From Friday's show:

Götterdämmerung!

Yeah, that's my jam! In my episode I hit a Daily Double for $3000 with that response. Of course they were looking for Twilight of the Gods under the "Time for Opera" category, but I gave the answer in German.

• LOL 1
  • Love 4
2 hours ago, ams1001 said:

I came up with Stieg, but wasn't sure if it was his first name or last name.  I didn't care at all about his books, so clearly my brain didn't retain his full name.

17 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

From Friday's show:

Götterdämmerung!

Yeah, that's my jam! In my episode I hit a Daily Double for $3000 with that response. Of course they were looking for Twilight of the Gods under the "Time for Opera" category, but I gave the answer in German.

I wish I'd had an opera category.  I have yet to miss an opera clue in all my years of watching.  It's my #1 category.

1 hour ago, sd dude said:

So does the contestant decide where they're "from", or is it the 'runners who decide where you are "originally from" is much more interesting than where you are "from" so we're going with that?!

Generally it's up to the contestants how they want that listed.  So you'll get "originally from" wherever one grew up or "from" where they live now.  Whatever the contestant wants.

7 hours ago, illdoc said:

That's where I live - in Indiana but still in the Chicago market. We know how you Illinois folks feel about us! LOL

I was just randomly shouting out names of nearby Indiana cities figuring I would get there sooner or later. I did not. 

• LOL 3
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, helpmerhonda said:

That's where I live - in Indiana but still in the Chicago market. We know how you Illinois folks feel about us! LOL

Not true, I love Indiana, it's a state that doesn't suck like Illinois does. Although when showing dogs in Gary, we were warned to chain/padlock anything left outside that could be carried away.

For a recent national-specialty dog show, people brought baskets of things representing their state to auction off for a fundraiser. For my Illinois basket all I could come up with was an ear of corn, a notice saying your taxes are going up and a 534-page book detailing all of the Illinois governors and other politicians who have been sent to prison or are going shortly.

• LOL 11
  • Love 1

Tuesday: 

70% / 47% / 59%

Ugh, Double Jeopardy is not being kind to me lately. I ran nothing in either round but got zero in Geography and no more than three in any other category.

In round one I got four each in Monopoly, Annus Horribilis, and NYC, at least.

Had to think about it for a few seconds but I got FJ pretty quickly.

Got one DD and my TSes were General Motors, rad, 1862 (lucky guess), Squaresville, and flash point.

Edited by ams1001
On 10/15/2021 at 7:00 PM, possibilities said:

I was amused by Connie's comment about how she didn't like that one, after the reveal on the TS about God. It just struck me that we don't get a lot of snark on J!

I would like to think if I ever get to be a contestant, I would be the one who gets "detention" for being snarky.  First, I would by default word my questions in unusual ways:

Could it be. . .the Brooklyn Bridge?

What can you tell me about William the Conqueror?

Why am I compelled to respond to that clue with internal combustion engine?

Would I receive the points for those responses (assuming the subjects are correct)?

If so, I would continue until the host or producers told me to cut it out, which would probably come at the first commercial break.

• LOL 8
  • Love 3
5 minutes ago, sd dude said:

Would I receive the points for those responses (assuming the subjects are correct)?

Yes, but every poster here would rip you to shreds for you taking up too much time and therefore leaving 25 unplayed clues on the board. You might as well wave your buzzer over your head, dance and bring drumsticks to display during your interview. Oh, and don't forget to weave back and forth as you deliver those hour-long answers. And abandon a puppy somewhere it will surely die.

Yeah, you'd do great.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 11
  • Love 3

So, still constant runaway games, but uneventful ones with no daring DD betting, no exciting super high scores, lots of wrong guesses and several TS clues. Boring.

Make no mistake, I know every single person on there is 10x smarter than me, but I preferred the game play in Matt’s runaways far more than what’s going on now. YMMV, of course.

I also feel like Matt faced and beat a handful of worthy opponents who would have dominated over any contestant we’ve seen since he left. Obviously no way to know if that’s true.

• Love 11

This was the first post-Matt game where I found myself thinking: Ugh. Matt would instaget all of those.

I think I started losing patience when Jonathan --who has consistently wagered overly modestly (IMO) in DD categories in which he was obviously knowledgeable-- instead for the  first round DD did a "True Daily Double" in a category I saw he didn't know well, and, of course, he lost it all. 

I didn't know much, myself. I did instaget the TSs of Balaam, General Motors, and flash point.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3
50 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

Mayim mentioning Matt in every intro is really getting to me now.

This is exactly why I FF straight to the the announcement of the categories.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

There were 15 TSs, that's one quarter of all the clues. Pitiful.

I got 1/3 of them!

I thought there seemed like a lot when I was checking mine but I didn't count. Ten were in the Double Jeopardy round.

All but one of the $2000 clues was a TS.

There were also 2 missed DDs (one in each round).

6 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I live in Decatur, GA. There's one in Alabama, too.

Georgia has a Fayetteville AND a LaFayette, except we stress the second syllable - LaFAYette.

I lived in Decatur, IL for a few years. DH went to college in Fayetteville, MO.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

I got Lucerne, having been to that exact spot - they do occasionally show pictures of it on J! that look startlingly like my holiday pictures! It was one of my favourite places to visit, though. I'd love to go back.

For FJ, the line "...with some fava beans and a nice chianti" immediately popped into my head, so that piece was easy. Problem was, they wanted the author, and I could have sat here until next year and not come up with his name.

• Love 7