Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Athena

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, graybrown bird said:

I was stunned and saddened that none of these three players knew "with malice toward none, with charity for all..."  It's bedrock American prose by Abraham Lincoln.

I read a book that had that quote in it just last month and I still said forgiveness instead of charity.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

19 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Don't know if that's the same green blouse she wore a couple weeks ago, but I like it much better with the solid jacket.

Those two shades of green DID NOT go well together, imo.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, graybrown bird said:

I was stunned and saddened that none of these three players knew "with malice toward none, with charity for all..."  It's bedrock American prose by Abraham Lincoln.

I was yelling “Justice!! Come on how can none of you know that! ‘And justice for all’ is so well known!” at the screen and then… oh uhhh never mind. 🤐😆

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

Those two shades of green DID NOT go well together, imo.

I agree, and I'm not a fan of lime green clothing.  She's never going to win a prize for her fashion choices.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 2

Share this post


Link to post

I thought the current winner tossed a great opportunity out the window when he was boasting about being able to do the accent of every language known to Planet Earth and beyond. Mayim said he should do the rest of the show with an Irish accent, and the stoop just said he wasn't going to do that ... in a freaking AMERICAN accent. It would have been golden if he had said no in an Irish accent. That would have been clever. But ... nooooooo.

I want Mayim to ask him what he's been in as an ACK-TOOR so we can see him. Asked what he will do with his winnings, my thinking is he will say he can now quit one of his waiter jobs.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

1 hour ago, Cotypubby said:

I was yelling “Justice!! Come on how can none of you know that! ‘And justice for all’ is so well known!” at the screen and then… oh uhhh never mind. 🤐😆

I said, "Liberty."

7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I want Mayim to ask him what he's been in as an ACK-TOOR so we can see him. Asked what he will do with his winnings, my thinking is he will say he can now quit one of his waiter jobs.

imdb has six different "Jonathan Fisher" listed, none as a dialect coach; none have pictures.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • Like 3
  • Useful 2

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I thought the current winner tossed a great opportunity out the window when he was boasting about being able to do the accent of every language known to Planet Earth and beyond. Mayim said he should do the rest of the show with an Irish accent, and the stoop just said he wasn't going to do that ... in a freaking AMERICAN accent. It would have been golden if he had said no in an Irish accent. That would have been clever. But ... nooooooo.

I want Mayim to ask him what he's been in as an ACK-TOOR so we can see him. Asked what he will do with his winnings, my thinking is he will say he can now quit one of his waiter jobs.

You're never going to get over him taking down Matt, are you? I admire that.

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 9

Share this post


Link to post
7 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I want Mayim to ask him what he's been in as an ACK-TOOR so we can see him.

Whenever Mayim refers to  Jonathan Not-Matt as an actor, my husband snarks "you may remember me from the movie Bad Santa." 

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Cementhead said:

Whenever Mayim refers to  Jonathan Not-Matt as an actor, my husband snarks "you may remember me from the movie Bad Santa." 

Jeez, even THAT would be a step up from what he HAS done.

  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, ProudMary said:

This is him, because Jeopardy! is listed. He has one acting credit and it's 10 years old.

It's not him. From the IMDB link: "Jonathan Fisher is an actor, known for Absentia (2011) and Jeopardy! (1984)."

2 minutes ago, opus said:

You're never going to get over him taking down Matt, are you? I admire that.

Nice of you to notice, and no, I'm not over it. I'm bitter and hateful and spiteful and now I am being just like all those posters I ragged on for hating Matt. The shoe is on the other foot now, and it's painful. Every day I utter a new blasphemy when I go to TJF and see who won. Hoping my hexes work and my personal nightmare is over but SOON. *smiley face*

  • Like 1
  • Laugh 7

Share this post


Link to post

3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It's not him. From the IMDB link: "Jonathan Fisher is an actor, known for Absentia (2011) and Jeopardy! (1984)."

IMDB lists the premiere dates for TV series. Some current soap operas still have dates from the 1960s. When you go into Jonathan Fisher's filmography, it lists him as Defending Champion, 2021.

It's him.

Edited by ProudMary
  • Like 6

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

It's not him. From the IMDB link: "Jonathan Fisher is an actor, known for Absentia (2011) and Jeopardy! (1984)."

The "1984" is for when Jeopardy! debuted in this incarnation, not the year he appeared on it.

1 minute ago, ProudMary said:

When you go into Jonathan Fisher's filmography, it lists him as Defending Champion, 2021.

I guess when he loses, he'll change that to "defeated champion" ?

 

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 3

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

Those two shades of green DID NOT go well together, imo.

I was just comparing to the busy jacket she wore it with last time. I couldn't pull off either outfit, but the solid jacket was much easier to look at. (Maybe it looks better in person.)

Share this post


Link to post

Absentia (2011) lists 19 cast members, 12 of them have names. One is "Lawyer" and six are "Uniformed Officers." Our "champion" is one of those six uniformed officers. So, he's had one role in 10 years ... but now with Jeopardy he can put TWO TWO TWO things on his 10-year-old resume.

Geesh, I'm not an actor but I've been in two movies, so twice as many as him. I even had lines in one of them!

  • Like 6
  • Laugh 2
  • Surprise 1

Share this post


Link to post
31 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

Jeez, even THAT would be a step up from what he HAS done.

I’m assuming Jonathan has done some “Shakespeare In The Park.”

 

46 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

I thought the current winner tossed a great opportunity out the window when he was boasting about being able to do the accent of every language known to Planet Earth and beyond. Mayim said he should do the rest of the show with an Irish accent, and the stoop just said he wasn't going to do that ... in a freaking AMERICAN accent. It would have been golden if he had said no in an Irish accent

I am betting he realizes the missed opportunity. Perhaps he’ll answer in a Brogue this evening?

 

*************************

3 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

I was stunned and saddened that none of these three players knew "with malice toward none, with charity for all..."  It's bedrock American prose by Abraham Lincoln.

3 hours ago, Katy M said:

I read a book that had that quote in it just last month and I still said forgiveness instead of charity.

2 hours ago, Cotypubby said:

I was yelling “Justice!! Come on how can none of you know that! ‘And justice for all’ is so well known!” at the screen and then… oh uhhh never mind. 🤐😆

2 hours ago, Bastet said:

I went with compassion.  Starts with a C, anyway.

41 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I said, "Liberty."

Meanwhile, my brain was hop, skip, and jumping similarly over virtuous nouns, as I assume did the minds of the players. 

But what's really driving me nuts is that I cannot recall or locate that quote from (I think?) a tweet from (maybe???) Buzzy from when Matt missed "Turing." 
It was something about having so great a depth of knowledge of a subject that it is harder to pull out a single fact from that body of knowledge than it is for someone who only knows the most famous bits from that subject.

 

 

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Like 2
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
8 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Absentia (2011) lists 19 cast members, 12 of them have names. One is "Lawyer" and six are "Uniformed Officers." Our "champion" is one of those six uniformed officers. So, he's had one role in 10 years ... but now with Jeopardy he can put TWO TWO TWO things on his 10-year-old resume.

Geesh, I'm not an actor but I've been in two movies, so twice as many as him. I even had lines in one of them!

One of my favorite lines from an early season of the recently completed Lucifer series:

Lucifer: I love LA. Even the homeless have an IMDb page.

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 6

Share this post


Link to post

47 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

But what's really driving me nuts is that I cannot recall or locate that quote from (I think?) a tweet from (maybe???) Buzzy from when Matt missed "Turing." 

 

It was something about having so great a depth of knowledge of a subject that it is harder to pull out a single fact from that body of knowledge than it is for someone who only knows the most famous bits from that subject.

 

 

 

"Burden of knowledge"

I then realized that I get half the answers correct because I *lack* burden of knowledge 😂

  • Like 3
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
26 minutes ago, secnarf said:

"Burden of knowledge"

I then realized that I get half the answers correct because I *lack* burden of knowledge 😂

THANK YOU, @secnarf!!!! 
Burden of knowledge...burden of knowledge...burden of knowledge...burden of knowledge...
Allegedly if I repeat it 4 times I'll remember it. 
Or maybe Buzzy will pop out of my mirror? 
And here's Buzzy's tweet, which I will now at least save in my popculture folder on my laptop:

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I'll be watching football tonight, so this was one of my two weekly archive games.  Thankfully there weren't many clues with visual aids I couldn't see, and I either didn't need them to get it right (e.g. a picture of Montezuma or Tornado Alley) or wouldn't have known even with that extra help (e.g. a picture of Selena Gomez).

The feet TS surprised me, and thinking people would crush bugs with their teeth even more.  And I never would have predicted Raleigh would go unanswered.  The footlocker TS surprised me a bit, too, as did couch, but not like those two.  The Maude TS just bummed me out; I loved that show.

I only ran NPR and containers in the first round, but I wasn't bad, missing two in TV and one each in the rest (and I'm okay with not knowing "ballot selfie", although my guess was just as obnoxious; I missed the "a" and read "known as 'ballot this'" and guessed "ballot boasting").

I did well in DJ; I ran twister, verbs, and N-P-R, and missed two each in songs and murder (but, hey, now I know what The Alienist - which I've only heard of, never read or seen - refers to), and one in geography (I picked the wrong South African capital).

FJ was close to an instaget, so another good game for me.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

I got FJ.  I think because of the voting category I had electors in my head, but settled on senators.

I got the missed clues of Maude, footlocker (really military guy?), couch and engineer.

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/13/2021 at 7:14 PM, Quickbeam said:

How can people not know LDS folks do missions? 

There’s an entire musical about it! 

No one knew Maude????!!!!

  • Like 11
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  

TS I got include Maude, feet, couch, Fujita, Raleigh, and engineer.  I was sad that Maude was a TS, and shocked that Raleigh was.  But I might be biased about the Raleigh one, since I got my Master's at NC State.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

2 hours ago, secnarf said:

"Burden of knowledge"

I then realized that I get half the answers correct because I *lack* burden of knowledge 😂

I definitely had no “burden of knowledge” for tonight’s FJ. I was just hoping the tidbit about both of them being from the same state wasn’t a red herring. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Got back to my parents' after dinner in time to turn on J! during the first commercial. Couldn't keep score and really couldn't play along that well since my brother and my dad were whining over "What's" but I did get FJ and they didn't, so there.

Probably will not go back to figure out my score since at this point I don't think I'd accurately count what I would have known and what I heard while watching the first time.

Share this post


Link to post

Woo-hoo!  My local Jeopardy provider has finally caught up to the correct episode.  They were one day late Monday-Wednesday and caught up today.  So, now I can appreciate everyone's comments and know what they are referencing.  

I think Mayim might be getting a little too comfortable as she basically chastised the contestants for not knowing one of the correct responses (and right now I'm blanking on what it was-oh I remember, not knowing that "feet" was the correct response for beetle something in the old slang category).  Yes, some people would be able to figure it out (I did), but as host with all of the correct responses in front of her, I think she should tone down that type of personal reaction (like her cauliflower pizza reaction along with others).  It's not game night at her home with her friends playing, drinking, having fun...

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
30 minutes ago, Blakeston said:

I really didn't care for Mayim laughing at the contestant's incorrect Final Jeopardy answer.

If you looked at that player's written FJ answer, it ended with !!!!!! and a smiley face. So Mayim was laughing at that. Aline just had a good sense of humor about her FJ (wrong) answer with the multi exclamation marks and smiley.

49 minutes ago, M. Darcy said:

No one knew Maude????!!!!

No one knew Maude had a last name.

  • Like 4
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post

4 hours ago, saber5055 said:

It's not him. From the IMDB link: "Jonathan Fisher is an actor, known for Absentia (2011) and Jeopardy! (1984)."

Nice of you to notice, and no, I'm not over it. I'm bitter and hateful and spiteful and now I am being just like all those posters I ragged on for hating Matt. The shoe is on the other foot now, and it's painful. Every day I utter a new blasphemy when I go to TJF and see who won. Hoping my hexes work and my personal nightmare is over but SOON. *smiley face*

LOL…same.  In fact, since I found out Matt lost ahead of Monday’s game, I haven’t watched Jeopardy all week.  I’m bitter.

  • Like 2
  • Sad 2

Share this post


Link to post
14 minutes ago, CraftyHazel said:

LOL…same.  In fact, since I found out Matt lost ahead of Monday’s game, I haven’t watched Jeopardy all week.  I’m bitter.

My sister. For the first time since forever, I've lost interest in the show and don't even pay attention when it's on. I've become one of "those people" that I can't stand.

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post

With every additional win by Jonathan, he elevates Matt Amodio by demonstrating how good of an opponent it took to unseat Matt. 
 

I was exhausted and not able to keep up, but did hear/imagine Peter Sagal’s voice reading the category of THIS. IS NPR! and so was properly prepped to ask what is “Wait. Wait. Don't Tell Me!?” before the $800 clue was fully revealed.   
 I would have been a little disappointed if they hadn’t included it. And now I’m wondering how wrong it would be for me to credit the WWDTM clue to the absence of MR.

It probably helped that I listen to WWDTM every week. I am a rabid fan of Barry, but the show has been on hiatus for over a year, so I missed it—and no, not because of any “Burden of Knowledge.”🙃

I did instaget FJ, but only because there were 2 of them and 30 seconds to come up with the question.

My exhaustion can be thoroughly demonstrated by my eager response to:   
“It's the alliterative 2-word term for the type of demonic little twister seen here”   
with an exuberantly wrong:   
“Dirt Devil!”  
[like the vacuum cleaner brand]

I would have enjoyed Mayim’s laughing with me at that one. 

  • Like 4
  • Laugh 1

Share this post


Link to post
48 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

”My exhaustion can be thoroughly demonstrated by my eager response to:   

“It's the alliterative 2-word term for the type of demonic little twister seen here”   
with an exuberantly wrong:   
“Dirt Devil!”  
[like the vacuum cleaner brand]

I would have enjoyed Mayim’s laughing with me at that one. 

I hereby award you the points!

 

67920765-255C-4912-841D-51CBFC9A9D76.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I also thought it was a dirt devil. I knew Maude, feet, footlocker and Raleigh. If you have Sirius XM they play episodes of American Top 40 on Thursday nights. This week's countdown was from January 1976. If featured All by Myself by Eric Carmen. I thought that was great.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post

Thanks for the post Re: Ray’s reason for wearing his uniform. He actually had a lot of thoughtful posts. 
I came in with foot locker, feet, couch, and Raleigh. FJ was an instaget. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
18 hours ago, graybrown bird said:

I was stunned and saddened that none of these three players knew "with malice toward none, with charity for all..."  It's bedrock American prose by Abraham Lincoln.

That bedrock got tangled in my mind with  another bedrock "with liberty and justice for all." Blame my rock of a head.

I am missing Matt, but Jonathon is playing well, so I am not exactly happy, but not unhappy. I'm not going to diss Jonathon's credits, he clearly hasn't submitted a professional listing in IMDB, or he'd have a picture and more information. Someone else, likely IMDB staff, put that up. He's either more of a stage actor, or just getting started, as Absentia was a relatively new series. As much as I love and live by IMDB, I know it's an incomplete view of an actor's resume.

I ran Murder He Wrote, and got FJ because I focused on the fact there were two names and one state. So not a great game for me, but I got the one that counts (in the contest anyway).

 

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
16 hours ago, saber5055 said:

Geesh, I'm not an actor but I've been in two movies, so twice as many as him. I even had lines in one of them!

One can be an actor and not do tv or films, and thus not have a lot on IMDB.  There's this thing called "theatre".  Not saying that Jonathan has done theatre ('cause I really have no idea), but it's a possibility.

14 hours ago, Bastet said:

And I never would have predicted Raleigh would go unanswered.

I was yelling "Winston-Salem, dummies!".  Whoops.

13 hours ago, saber5055 said:

No one knew Maude had a last name.

She did?  (Just kidding.)  I've never, ever watched a single episode of Maude, and yet I can picture Bea Arthur in that hideous 70s wardrobe.  Guess I've seen photos.

12 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

With every additional win by Jonathan, he elevates Matt Amodio by demonstrating how good of an opponent it took to unseat Matt. 

What it took to unseat Matt was TWO opponents who were faster on the buzzer.  But yes, Jonathan is also a very good player on his own.  And fairly personable.  Now, I'll probably get tired of him if he's champion for much longer, I almost always do, but for now, he's good.

1 hour ago, Clanstarling said:

I ran Murder He Wrote, and got FJ because I focused on the fact there were two names and one state.

Me, too.  Plus the year was after the Constitutional Convention, so I figured it had something to do with how Congress is set up.  But "senators" was a guess.

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
10 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

One can be an actor and not do tv or films, and thus not have a lot on IMDB.  There's this thing called "theatre".  Not saying that Jonathan has done theatre ('cause I really have no idea), but it's a possibility.

I looked him up. He's listed as a stage actor and had some plays listed.  I didn't do any intense research.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

34 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

He's not listed in ibdb ,(Internet Broadway Data Base) either, so he's not done Broadway or any touring productions of B'way shows.  But, yeah, there are other kinds of theater.

Oooh, I didn't know there was a one for Broadway. I just bookmarked it. Thanks!

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

He's not listed in ibdb ,(Internet Broadway Data Base) either, so he's not done Broadway or any touring productions of B'way shows.  But, yeah, there are other kinds of theater.

Yeah, around me in very rural Illinois there are four community theater groups within an hour's drive. Some even serve dinner before the show, and some let you eat popcorn while you watch your cousin in a production of Mame. We also have free Shakespeare in the Park in the summer, as another poster noted. One theater group hires wanna-be actors/singers as wait staff and they get to put on a show before dinner is served, so this guy could keep plenty busy here in the Land of Lincoln. "Don't forget to tip your waiter."

  • Like 5
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

In the first recording I tried to watch, we went directly from “In 1540, this chief advisor to Henry VIII was executed” to “Who is Selena Gomez?” A woman of many talents, it would seem! Or a little glitch, but I know which one I’d rather believe.

I laughed at the clue about Celine Dion covering an Eric Carmen song. I’ve heard it but would never have been able to place it, except that I was recently searching for a different song with the title “All By Myself” and was annoyed by all the results from those two artists! Perhaps there is meaning in everything.

One favorite bit of trivia I learned recently, which may not be news to those a few years older than me, is that   Foot Locker is the same corporate entity that was Woolworth's, two name changes later.  This goes back to their purchase of Kinney Shoes in 1963 and a later plan to develop several "specialty stores" so they could get into malls.  The idea was that, if one store failed in a certain mall, they could swap it out easily for another, but the shoe store is the only concept that really took off.  The last Woolworth's closed in 1997 but Foot Locker is still doing fairly well, or at least it was pre-COVID.

  • Like 2
  • Useful 6

Share this post


Link to post

 

15 hours ago, saber5055 said:

I've lost interest in the show and don't even pay attention when it's on.

I've been this way since Alex died, except for the episodes hosted by Aaron Rodgers (for obvious reasons) and Buzzy (because he's awesome.)  I was starting to be ok with Mayim, ugly clothes and glasses aside, but am not liking her laughing at the contestants for not knowing the answers.  And I find the new champion hard to take seriously with that hair.

Edited by bankerchick
  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, saber5055 said:

Yeah, around me in very rural Illinois there are four community theater groups within an hour's drive. Some even serve dinner before the show, and some let you eat popcorn while you watch your cousin in a production of Mame. We also have free Shakespeare in the Park in the summer, as another poster noted. One theater group hires wanna-be actors/singers as wait staff and they get to put on a show before dinner is served, so this guy could keep plenty busy here in the Land of Lincoln. "Don't forget to tip your waiter."

My brother worked one summer at that Land of Lincoln outdoor theater. 

  • Like 2
  • Useful 1

Share this post


Link to post
28 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

In the first recording I tried to watch, we went directly from “In 1540, this chief advisor to Henry VIII was executed” to “Who is Selena Gomez?” A woman of many talents, it would seem! Or a little glitch, but I know which one I’d rather believe.

When did she find time to date Justin Bieber?

  • Like 2
  • Laugh 4

Share this post


Link to post

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Customize font-size