Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

16 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

I tried "Bad Girls," although I didn't think it was necessarily right. 

I went with "Walk on the Wild Side" (Lou Reed--1972). And I have read "Cyrano" (as well as seen Steve Martin in "Roxanne"). All I could think of "nose" and "hookers".

• LOL 1
  • Love 2

60% / 57% / 59%

Thank dog it's Friday, is all I have to say.

My best categories were OED Speaks Canadian, Cello, and Meta"for"s; I missed one in each.

My only TSes were serenade and transit, plus the missed DD of King George III.

FJ was an instaget, at least. Thanks to The Police and a silly Steve Martin movie.

I was rooting for Lea.

• Love 2

I guessed "Lady Marmalade" for FJ. It was the only song about prostitutes I could think of, even though I knew it was set in New Orleans and I had no idea what the Cyrano connection was. But I did know serenade, Venus, and Rubik.

That was a pretty exciting game until Lea missed the George III DD.

• Love 12
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

"Honky Tonk Woman" was a cute guess for FJ. 

Thank you. I had zero FJs this week (very distracted with moving next week) but at least for Friday I matched the champ and had a "cute guess" with "Honky Tonk Women."

ETA: I did get the TS of Venus.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 4

I totally missed what the FJ category was and got hung up on Paris and Cyrano. In spite of loving Cyrano, I didn't think of Roxanne the movie which still would've been a correct answer.

• Love 2

I'm slightly drunk, so for the Silkroad Ensemble response, I came up with Ya Ya Mo and then giggled at its wrongness.  For FJ, totally drawing a blank, I said, "You've Got A Friend."  LOL.

Edited because I'm apparently drunker than I thought.

Edited by Prevailing Wind
  • LOL 11
  • Love 1

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  I love the Police, and I've absorbed enough about Cyrano through cultural osmosis (Steve Martin's movie, an episode of "Roseanne", and I'm sure there were others) that it made it an easy FJ.

I also got the TS of serenade, King George III (and now I have his song stuck in my head), Venus, and transit.

• Love 3

(My “real” name is Jenny) My song was a question!!  Tonight was a lot of clues for me: the song, Jane Austen and a Groffsauce question. 

Not knowing John Ratzenberger’s last name is just wrong. If you are going on Jeopardy you really have to know all about Cliff Clavin, the patron saint of Jeopardy contestants. 

Aw, missing the Hamilton question. I’m still convinced a writer is obsessed with the show. As many of us are. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 8
Just now, M. Darcy said:

Not knowing John Ratzenberger’s last name is just wrong. If you are going on Jeopardy you really have to know all about Cliff Clavin, the patron saint of Jeopardy contestants. 

I'm honestly surprised no one rang in and said, "Who is Cliff Clavin?"

• LOL 5
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, GreekGeek said:

I guessed "Lady Marmalade" for FJ. It was the only song about prostitutes I could think of, even though I knew it was set in New Orleans and I had no idea what the Cyrano connection was. But I did know serenade, Venus, and Rubik.

I thought the answer was Lady Marmalade too. I thought Roxanne was an 1980's song

• Love 6
1 hour ago, kathyk2 said:

I thought the answer was Lady Marmalade too. I thought Roxanne was an 1980's song

It almost was. Irritating point about FJ: Roxanne only got as high as No. 32 in 1979, making it barely in the '70s and just squeaking into the Top 40 whereas Lady Marmalade, my guess, was No. 1 in 1974. That's the song that taught us our first French sentence, voulez-vous coucher avec moi.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 9

The Venus, serenade, and Rubik TS all surprised me a bit.

I got all but four in the first round; the oyster and du Pré TS stumped me, too, and I also missed one more in cello and Resident Alien.

I didn't do nearly as well in DJ.  I was terrible in authors, missing all but one (and that one - Austen - was a lucky guess; I'd never read any of the works asked about).  I also missed two each in planets, actors, and revolution, and one in "for"; the only category I ran was puzzles & games.

I rebounded for FJ, though; it was an instaget (and instead of saying the name, I sang it [and, since I can't carry a tune with a wheelbarrow, that would've caused Sting to request I please never do that again, but my cat doesn't care]).

• Love 2
2 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I guessed "Lady Marmalade" for FJ.

I did, too. I was pretty sure it was wrong, but at least it had some vague reference to French and to a woman you'd want to sleep with? I wasn't even sure if it was in the right decade, which tells you how much I know about songs.

But I did know "serenade". 

• Love 2
4 hours ago, illdoc said:

I went with "Walk on the Wild Side" (Lou Reed--1972). 

So did I, even though it didn’t sound right to me.

My husband actually said “Roxanne” and I told him no, that can’t be it, the Police didn’t release anything before the 1980’s. I so hate it when I’m wrong and he’s right.

• LOL 10

I couldn't think of Jackie's last name - I kept saying, "The woman married to Daniel Barenboim."

I thought Venus was was an insta-get.  I was surprised at how well I did in the authors category - most of the characters mentioned were from either books I never read or books I detested (I'm looking at you, Wuthering Heights.)

I wonder GEICO departed and Consumer Cellular is the major sponsor now. Did CC offer them more money? Did GEICO get tired of the drama?

• Love 2
15 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I wonder whether the detail in the clue that Groff is from PA influenced the response of Benjamin Franklin?  It's not an unreasonable guess if you haven't seen the show, but sometimes when a detail seems extraneous I try to parse "what it means" and might have fallen into the same trap myself, who knows?

That's a good explanation. And yeah, if you haven't seen the show (or aren't a huge Groff fan like me), it might have been hard to parse that one out. Though the accent bit might have helped.

14 hours ago, GreekGeek said:

I know. I was sad.

13 hours ago, M. Darcy said:

Well, I know about Cliff Clavin, but I couldn't get Ratzenberger's name out of my mouth to save my soul!

That was a problem for me in the Author's characters category, where I knew all the dang books, but missed the three I knew the best - and am actually reading Love in the time of Cholera RIGHT NOW (and was reading it only hours before Jeopardy. Sheesh!

I said Oyster for the watch and was totally convinced it was wrong, that a fancy watch like that wouldn't use that name. So I was pretty happy when it turned out to be right.

I mixed up Jenny with Rickie - those phone number songs, man...

Despite my frustrations, I was really hot on the boards. Didn't run a category but did get the majority of clues in each category. Change of pace for me. 🙂

Did not get FJ - I got Lady Marmelade (or more specifically, I got voulez-vous coucher avec moi).

• LOL 1
  • Love 5

I am so glad other people said Lady Marmalade. I am usually all over musical FJ's but this one got by me and I swear the writers get sneaky as they choose songs that are barely in the decade the category describes. This happened one other time this year too...

They can't keep doing this to me. My allusion of being a musical trivial goddess must still be in tact!!!!

Other than that, I don't recall much of Friday's game..Mayim is growing on me. I miss Alex but there's nothing that can be done about that..

• Love 6
3 hours ago, stonehaven said:

I am so glad other people said Lady Marmalade. I am usually all over musical FJ's but this one got by me and I swear the writers get sneaky as they choose songs that are barely in the decade the category describes. This happened one other time this year too...

They can't keep doing this to me. My allusion of being a musical trivial goddess must still be in tact!!!!

Other than that, I don't recall much of Friday's game..Mayim is growing on me. I miss Alex but there's nothing that can be done about that..

I never heard of Roxanne in the 1970s so Lady Marmalade was my guess as well.  Sneaky is right!!

• Love 1
8 hours ago, stonehaven said:

Lady Marmalade is in regular rotation on 70's 0n 7 so I have your back. I'm impressed that Mayim doesn't use her acting skills to influence the questions.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

I never heard of Roxanne in the 1970s so Lady Marmalade was my guess as well.  Sneaky is right!!

The first memory I have of the song was Eddie Murphy singing it in Beverly Hills Cop - which was in '84. I still have trouble remembering the original was the Police, even though I really like the band (stalkerish songs excluded)

• Love 2
10 hours ago, kathyk2 said:

I'm impressed that Mayim doesn't use her acting skills to influence the questions.

Unlike Alex, who had no acting skills, but did often influence questions.

16 hours ago, Caoimhe said:

I never heard of Roxanne in the 1970s

All I can sing of Roxanne is "Roxanne ... ROXaaanne ..." whereas I can sing (badly) Lady Marmalade from start to finish.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:19 AM, Clanstarling said:

(or more specifically, I got voulez-vous coucher avec moi).

Je ne dis jamais non.

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

Just saw that NYC area will pre-empt Jeopardy! on Tuesday, so plan accordingly:

Thanks for the heads up! I should still be able to watch on the Philly station, at least. I assume they won't be airing NYC debates...

• Love 3
On 10/22/2021 at 2:34 PM, M. Darcy said:

Yep - I got a snarky response from Alex to my story.  Heh, which was a cat story.  

I kinda did too - his response to my story about making up songs for my cats was to say "Oookaay" and back away slowly.  But in a nice way.

On 10/22/2021 at 7:00 PM, 853fisher said:

"Honky Tonk Woman" was a cute guess for FJ.  I tried "Bad Girls," although I didn't think it was necessarily right.  Sometimes by the end of an episode I'm ready to turn my brain off.  Unfortunately I haven't ever seen or read "Cyrano," although I think I've watched different things inspired by it.

I almost missed this FJ despite The Police having once been my favorite band.  I was getting hung up on Cyrano's nose.  Then I thought of other characters in the play, which I am mostly familiar with from the Steve Martin film "Roxanne" and came up with the right answer in time.

• Love 5
On 10/22/2021 at 8:09 PM, Blakeston said:

Right after we complain that women rarely make big DD wagers, a woman bets big - and it may have cost her the game.

If only she'd seen Hamilton, we could have a new champion.

I've never seen Hamilton but based solely on when it takes place, I had no problem coming up with King George III as the character played by an actor using an English accent.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:11 PM, M. Darcy said:

I hated Cheers, very rarely watched any of it, and only vaguely know of that episode.  I wouldn't have come up with Ratzenberger's name in a million years.  I'd have come up with Cliff Clavin but not the actor's name.

On 10/22/2021 at 9:05 PM, kathyk2 said:

Outlandos d'Amour, the album Roxanne was on, came out in 1979.  (I checked my copy after the show was over.)

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

If Jonathan Fisher wins tonight he will tie Arthur Chu for #10 in Consecutive Games Won--Ugh!  He also could move into the Top 10 in Highest Winnings in Regular Season Play depending upon how much he wins--Double Ugh!

Please let Stephen Son or Hilary Bouxsein be crowned NEW Jeopardy Champion! 

Edited by dbklmt
Edited to correct misinformation

Arthur's last name is Chu, not Cho.

I'll be watching football tonight, so just checked the archive.  Thankfully there weren't too many photo clues.

I didn't know C.C. Sabathia or deuterium, but, thanks to several lucky guesses, I got everything else in the first round (giving myself credit for shooting gallery and dahlia, which I believe I'd have known had I been able to see the pictures).

It was downhill from there in DJ, but I still did well; I ran What Happened When and TV History, missed three in dust, two in La Mancha, and one each in flags (the sagebrush TS stumped me, too) and word pairs (I knew the flack flask TS, but not where hobbits come from).

And FJ was an instaget, so my J! week is off to a great start.

Off to a great start this week...🙄

63% / 57% / 61%

J!: Ran "D" Nature of Things, missed one each in Double Initial Guys and Carnival Talk, two each in Ball and Famous Last Words…and got half of one (Luxembourg) in nations.

DJ: Missed one in Men of La Mancha and TV History, two in Dust, and three in the others.

FJ: Instaget! 

My only TSes were Deuterium and shooting gallery, plus Jonathan's missed DD of Grapes of Wrath (my only DD).

27 minutes ago, Bastet said:

dahlia

I got that one because it was the first (only) flower that starts with a D that came to mind rather than actually knowing what they look like.

11 minutes ago, SHD said:

Still too many TS questions.

There were 5 in the first round and 4 in the second, plus they missed all the Daily Doubles. 😕

• Love 1

I enjoyed watching Matt and seeing him win night after night. However, I am ready to watch a competitive game show and it just isn't happening.  It is just getting old... just my thoughts. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Instaget FJ for me tonight.  It probably didn't hurt that there was a piece on her on CBS Sunday Morning yesterday.

I also saw Jane Goodall on the cover of a magazine in a checkout lane this week and somewhere in an article online adjacent to one I was reading. I would accuse the writers of picking hot topic clues, but they'd have to also either be time travelers or pre-cogs. 😉

But I am blaming having only had 2 hours of sleep last night and a very busy day right through the airing of Jeopardy for my staring at Jane Goodall's face in my mind and not being able to say her name.
Likewise I knew WRITTEN IN THE DUST category's: "Chapter 1 of this 1939 novel has quite a lot to say about dust, like 'In the morning' it 'hung like fog' was Grapes of Wrath, but could not bring the words to my lips in time.
And I only got as far as the "flask" part of "The press agent carries a personal bottle of booze."  
And so it went, except I got 4 of 5 of the DOUBLE INITIAL GUYS early on before sundowning to a miserable end score.
I might have gotten "sagebrush" if I didn't have to answer a text message regarding my Thursday move across town.
*Le sigh*
Naptime now?

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, DrSpaceman73 said:

Really they couldn't name the category fun with flags?  

Nah. If they'd called the category FUN WITH FLAGS instead of FLAGGING INTEREST you and Amy/Mayim *know* Sheldon Cooper would have sued them for copyright infringement.

But I *really* wish they had done so.🙁
We would've *loved* to hear Mayim read it, right?!?

• LOL 5
  • Love 4

I got "What is that Steinbeck book about the dust bowl?" but since they don't actually want you to ask a question and not provide an answer, I guess it doesn't count. I could not remember the actual title.

No idea why I knew "deuterium," but I did.

LOOVED the velvet jacket Mayim was wearing. 

I like that Jonathan talks about his "partner" even though it seems she's female. I grew up in the culture of people saying "partner" when they had one of the same gender as themselves, and when a mixed-gender couple uses the word, it always sounds like solidarity, to me. No idea if that's actually his reason for doing it, but that's how it tracks in my neck of the woods.

I liked Hilary's intense stare; it made me feel like she had nerves of steel and was willing the answers out of the air, but I fear it's because she was having trouble seeing the board. 

The games still feel really slow to me. Maybe it's because of all the pauses that ensue from the many TS each round. But I'm less irritated than I was before, so I guess I'm adjusting.

I like Jane Goodall. But when will they have a category called "Notable Men"? /insert my eyrolling here, becuz apparently lady clues are special just becuz it's so rare a female would be notable....

Edited by possibilities
  • LOL 1
  • Love 7

Well, talk about issues with names...I caught on for FJ that they wanted people who worked with primates, and of course the first thing I thought of was Gorillas in the Mist, though in my head it was "that primate movie". Was struggling to come up with the protagonist's name - could just picture the actress playing her, whose name I also couldn't recall - and instead said Jane Goodall. Just googled it afterwards, and clearly got some wires crossed somewhere in my brain, as the movie is about Dian Fossey, but I guess it worked out for me tonight.

That is how I stumble my way through at least half of the FJs that I end up getting 🙄

• LOL 3
  • Love 2
4 minutes ago, possibilities said:

I like that Jonathan talks about his "partner" even though it seems she's female. I grew up in the culture of people saying "partner" when they had one of the same gender as themselves, and when a mixed-gender couple uses the word, it always sounds like solidarity, to me. No idea if that's actually his reason for doing it, but that's how it tracks in my neck of the woods.

I think he said "girlfriend" one day last week.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2