Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

FJ was an instaget.

I got the missed clues of Venus, Henry V and Marquette.

I did OK, but definitely not great.

26 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

he only show I've seen in the TV theme lyrics category was Cheers; I also got New Girl but only because I knew the girl in question was named Jess. The others...nada.

Me too and for exactly those reasons.

• Love 3

Fans of Chuck and/or his hair would have been happy at my house tonight, where we were treated to a repeat of Tuesday's game! Don't know who dropped the ball:  cable company or my local station.

My grumpy mood was mollified a bit by the fact that I had a much better game tonight.

• LOL 9
26 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

As I was setting up my scorecard I heard on the news that Aaron Rodgers tested positive for covid. :(

After lying, or in a more favorable reading obfuscating, in public comment about his vaccination status too. Apparently he sought, and was refused, permission to have homeopathic treatments counted by the NFL. Subsequently it sounds like he may have done some but not all of the things the league expects from unvaxed players. Now there’s a spotlight on the situation, and I hope if he did violate their rules he is harshly punished. Since we’re not out of the land of guest hosts yet, suffice it to say that I hope not to see him again.

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, 853fisher said:

After lying, or in a more favorable reading obfuscating, in public comment about his vaccination status too. Apparently he sought, and was refused, permission to have homeopathic treatments counted by the NFL. Subsequently it sounds like he may have done some but not all of the things the league expects from unvaxed players. Now there’s a spotlight on the situation, and I hope if he did violate their rules he is harshly punished. Since we’re not out of the land of guest hosts yet, suffice it to say that I hope not to see him again.

Well that explains the "he said he's 'immunized' but the league considered him unvaccinated" comment. It was a short bit at the end of the broadcast and they didn't explain further. 

• Love 1

My 2-week FJ losing streak has been broken. 
Not an instaget, but at the last moment I pulled "The Scream" out of my "Burden of knowledge" (Buzzy) of art and art history.

I also got Sacco and Vanzetti at the last moment. 

8 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I found Chuck quite attractive

Chuck looked like all of my 1970s lovers.

47 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

I heard on the news that Aaron Rodgers tested positive for covid. :(

I am so disappointed in him. 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

I was also very pleased with myself for remembering Cairo, Illinois, about which I know little except that I think it's mentioned in passing in "Show Boat" or something.  I was disappointed it turned out to be Carthage.

I used to visit relatives in Carthage during spring break when I was in grade school, and going to the restored Carthage Jail where the Smith brothers were murdered by a mob was always an annual thing. We used to take bets beforehand on how hard the missionaries who led the jail tours would try on converting us. Snark aside, it's a horrible story of religious intolerance and makes me appreciate what the Mormons had to endure just to worship freely. In any case, I got it right today.

Edited by Gravity Check
  • Love 4

Clue is one of my favorite movies - three friends and I have all watched it dozens of times and can recite it verbatim; we joke about finding a few more such people so we could get dressed up and act it for kicks - so I enjoyed that, well, clue.  

The Venus TS surprised me (not that no one had never heard of it [neither had I] but that no one guessed it based on Venus being the planet that would make by far the most sense as the missing word).

I missed one in gimmicks (I'd never heard of that Will Smith movie) and the Judge Landis TS (I couldn't remember his name), but got everything else in the first round.

On the flip side, though, DJ was painful.  I only ran words, missing four in TV themes, three each in physics and Shakespeare, two in Illinois, and one in coffee.

My downhill slide continued - I didn't get FJ.  I got stuck on Van Gogh as the mentally ill painter, and couldn't come up with what painting it could be since none of them I know seemed like something he'd say that about.  Instead of taking that as a hint and moving on to another artist, I just kept spinning my wheels.  When the answer was revealed, I could have kicked myself; that's a major "duh" in hindsight.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Bastet said:

The Venus TS surprised me (not that no one had never heard of it [neither had I] but that no one guessed it based on Venus being the planet that would make by far the most sense as the missing word).

image.png.b29d69745922083363ea4a8c197a2079.png

I remember learning about her in high school.  Some art historians prefer to call her the "woman of Willendorf" because the name Venus is a reflection of those who discovered her later rather than those who made her in Paleolithic Austria about 25,000 years ago.  It will not shock anyone having seen the attached image that it is thought she may represent fecundity.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

One of the contestants did get The Miracle Worker, but that was it.

Probably because it was a movie. Those were definitely not theater lovers.

3 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Since we’re not out of the land of guest hosts yet, suffice it to say that I hope not to see him again.

When I saw that story, my first thought was, good thing he wasn’t chosen to host. I would be very shocked if he got a return invite now. The show has seen enough controversy recently.

I can’t remember the exact FJ clue, but something about the way it was worded confused me. I think I would have responded correctly, if I could have figured out what in the Munch they were asking for.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Bastet said:

I missed one in gimmicks (I'd never heard of that Will Smith movie) and the Judge Landis TS (I couldn't remember his name),

All I could remember is "Kennesaw Mountain" - I used to live within sight of Kennesaw Mountain, NW of Atlanta - but I couldn't get "Landis" to save my life.

• Love 1

I said the same thing “Kennesaw Mountain “ but no Landis.  Ex was a baseball fan.  FJ! was an instaget.  I said Cairo instead of Carthage, but even though I am Illinois born, bred, and raised, I’ve never been south of UIUC.

22 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Except for the one and done lady who beat Jonathan.

D'oh! I totally forgot about her. That's the trouble with so many TOC champions in a row (or at least, that's my excuse)

12 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Sorry to see Tyler go, but I liked Tony.

I liked Tony's calm voice, and for some reason, completely missed that he won. So I was happy - not that I didn't like Tyler, I liked him a lot and he plays a great game.

I nearly ran Honor - didn't know the baseball answer, though my husband did.

I missed Lovebirds because I hadn't realized that they were parrots, so I sat there marveling at the new information I'd just learned.

Overall it was a pretty decent game, though I didn't run anything I came close with a couple of categories.

Didn't get FJ. Boo Hiss.

• Love 2
13 hours ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I love that the Braves won the World Series, but did they have to come home during DJ?  The Atlanta area missed the first half of DJ due to coverage of the Braves' busses bringing them home from the airport to the stadium.

yeah, that was totally unnecessary and annoying

• LOL 1
  • Love 2
10 hours ago, 30 Helens said:

Probably because it was a movie. Those were definitely not theater lovers.

They were all also movies, I've never seen a Broadway show. I never saw The Heidi Chronicles but I knew Jamie Lynn Curtis was in the movie, same with the Rose Tattoo (I knew Burt Lancaster and Anna Magnani were in it and that she won an Oscar), saw Miracle Worker, never heard of History Boys but it was also made into a movie and I've seen Mister Roberts. By the time it got to that clue I had forgotten the Tony part of the clue so "first play to be so honored" messed me up as my brain was trying to figure out honored by what and the clue had no other identifying information so even though I've seen it I totally blanked. So I got 3 correct in this category.

• Love 2
17 hours ago, Katy M said:

I got the missed clues of Venus, Henry V and Marquette.

I got a lot of the missed clues, including all of the Shakespeare ones.  I just couldn't with Julian not knowing Henry V - I'm smarter than all of these guys and I want back on the show, damn it!  Of course, if I was back on it, I'd get physics, math, business, politics, The Bible, modern feminist theory and rap music as categories. with my luck.  And my FJ would be about oyster forks.  Or shrimp forks.  Still can't remember which one is a real thing.

Edited by proserpina65
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2
14 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

I got a lot of the missed clues, including all of the Shakespeare ones.  I just couldn't with Julian not knowing Henry V

I know very little about Shakespeare, but I got that one based on my better knowledge of history.

• Love 1
17 hours ago, Katy M said:
17 hours ago, ams1001 said:

he only show I've seen in the TV theme lyrics category was Cheers; I also got New Girl but only because I knew the girl in question was named Jess. The others...nada.

Me too and for exactly those reasons.

Me, three.  And I've never seen Wandavision or heard the theme, but since there was a lot of media about it, it made sense to me as an answer.

16 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

Not an instaget, but at the last moment I pulled "The Scream" out of my "Burden of knowledge" (Buzzy) of art and art history.

I also got Sacco and Vanzetti at the last moment. 

Both were pretty much an instaget for me.  The Scream because I know exactly one Norwegian painter and it's Munch, and Sacco and Vanzetti because of the Edna St. Vincent Millay poem "Justice Denied in Massachusetts".

My dad would've been proud of my remembering Kenesaw Mountain Landis.  That was always one of his more obscure baseball trivia facts.  (He's be even prouder of my knowing Connie Mack, manager of the Philadelphia As.)  Of course I mainly know the name because of the movie Eight Men Out.

13 hours ago, 853fisher said:

image.png.b29d69745922083363ea4a8c197a2079.png

I remember learning about her in high school.  Some art historians prefer to call her the "woman of Willendorf" because the name Venus is a reflection of those who discovered her later rather than those who made her in Paleolithic Austria about 25,000 years ago.  It will not shock anyone having seen the attached image that it is thought she may represent fecundity.

I learned about her in anthropology class in college.  Or the first art history class I took.  Can't remember which.  I am surprised that no one guessed Venus just because it's one of the planets.

• Love 4
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

I know very little about Shakespeare, but I got that one based on my better knowledge of history.

I'd have been more inclined to cut Julian a break on that one if he hadn't chosen the category.  Of course, it was easy for me because I've read the play, seen both movie versions (Branagh's was fantastic) and studied both Shakespeare and 15th century European history in college.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, proserpina65 said:

I'd have been more inclined to cut Julian a break on that one if he hadn't chosen the category.  Of course, it was easy for me because I've read the play, seen both movie versions (Branagh's was fantastic) and studied both Shakespeare and 15th century European history in college.

Julian flubbed his other DDs too. 
When playing a similar game with extended family I learned that some (e.g., son-in-law) are great at answering quickly, not when given time to think about it.
Unfortunately for Julian, Jeopardy! requires adeptness with both kinds of thinking, but especially yesterday for Julian when he got all 3 DDs --which would have been a bonus for many players (e.g., Matt).

ETA: I haven't crunched the score numbers, but I wonder if Julian would have won (at least this game) if he'd bet really low on all of his DDs.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 1

I know we all have "favorite" categories - the Tony plays and Shakespeare locations were ones for me.  I have no talent except as an audience member but I have been lucky enough to see a lot of great theater in my time and I would have run both of them if I had been fortunate enough to be on the show and have them but with my luck, there would have been nary a theater/musical question in sight. 

Wendy Wasserstein was a particular favorite playwright of mine so it hurt my heart that no one got The Heidi Chronicles.  Mr. Roberts breaks me every time I see the movie (and I can still visualize Henry Fonda receiving the Kennedy Center Honors when a naval choir member saluted and said "Thank you, Mr. Roberts!" - no I am not crying, the computer screen just got a little blurry).

Thanks to the Stratford Ontario Shakespeare Festival being only a couple of hours away plus a couple of visits to England, I have seen almost all of the plays, except Pericles but I knew enough about it that I would have gotten the answer in time.

I knew Sacco and Vanzetti - somewhat from just general historical interest but mostly because my father's family lived in Dedham, MA where the trial took place.

The minute the clue with the Kenesaw Mountain Landis quote popped up, I flashed onto Eight Men Out (probably one of my top 20 favorite movies of all time) and knew his name instantly.

• Love 3
1 minute ago, shapeshifter said:

Julian flubbed his other DD too. 
When playing a similar game with extended family I learned that some (e.g., son-in-law) are great at answering quickly, not when given time to think about it.
Unfortunately for Julian, Jeopardy! requires adeptness with both kinds of thinking, but especially yesterday for Julian when he got all 3 DDs --which would have been a bonus for many players (e.g., Matt).

Very true.  I never got the chance to find out how I'd do with a DD.  I didn't get any of them, although the Dickens one in DJ would've been easy.  The contestant coordinator specifically mentioned The Old Curiosity Shop when talking about being able to skip the "The" at the beginning of a title and then it turned up in my game.  The champ knew it, alas.  I don't remember what the other DD in the DJ round was, but the one in the first round was in "Secretary of the Interior" so it's just as well I didn't hit that one.  (Turns out the other DD was about Emperor Maximilian in the movie "Juarez".  I might've gotten it from the clue, but who knows.)

• Love 1
16 minutes ago, Grundoon59 said:

The minute the clue with the Kenesaw Mountain Landis quote popped up, I flashed onto Eight Men Out (probably one of my top 20 favorite movies of all time) and knew his name instantly.

Isn't it a terrific movie?  I watched it because of John Cusack, but everyone's performance was really wonderful.  David Strathairn just about broke my heart as Eddie Cicotte.

• Love 1
13 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

Isn't it a terrific movie?  I watched it because of John Cusack, but everyone's performance was really wonderful.  David Strathairn just about broke my heart as Eddie Cicotte.

Absolutely - I saw it for a wide variety of reasons - I was going through a John Sayles' movie phase - Matewan got me hooked.  But the cast is incredible from first to last - even the small roles were extremely well done.  Too many favorites to pick one but Stathairn, Cusack, John Mahoney as the manager and Studs Terkel as one of the journalists would be at the top of the list. 

• Love 3
20 hours ago, ams1001 said:

As I was setting up my scorecard I heard on the news that Aaron Rodgers tested positive for covid. :(

That was a big story and got a lot of play on Chicago radio, especially because Rodgers shouted "I OWN YOU!" to everyone in Soldier Field after scoring another touchdown against Da Bears a few weeks ago. He's not popular in Chicagoland. In fact, it's still getting a lot of play on Chicago radio and I suspect it will be for some time to come.

20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

ALL OF THEM? Hokey smokes!

1 hour ago, Grundoon59 said:

Mr. Roberts breaks me every time I see the movie

One of my favorite movies of all times.

Edited by saber5055
  • LOL 1
  • Love 3
8 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I said Cairo instead of Carthage, but even though I am Illinois born, bred, and raised, I’ve never been south of UIUC.

I don't know what UIUC is, but Carthage is just west of Macomb, home of Western Illinois University which is mid-upper Illinois. I've been through Carthage many times when taking a convoluted route to Quincy, Illinois. Cairo, on the other hand, is way down in the hinderland where there isn't a lot of civilization. "Hill jack country" she said.

And finally, a FJ in my wheelhouse. I guess I didn't do five years at art college for a BFA for nothing. Well, next to nothing. The Scream! One of my favs.

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 2
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:
  8 hours ago, PaulaO said:

I said Cairo instead of Carthage, but even though I am Illinois born, bred, and raised, I’ve never been south of UIUC.

I, also, am Illinois born, bred and raised. I managed to get all the Illinois questions correct. I told my daughter that I have no idea where Carthage was hiding in my brain because even now, reading that clue, it sounds like something I don't know, but yet, Carthage came out of my mouth.

• Love 1
Just now, saber5055 said:

I don't know what UIUC is

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) is actually almost due east of Macomb and Carthage (143 and 167 miles respectively) and slightly south. Almost in Iowa. (I just Googled.) 

UIUC is also where

20 hours ago, shapeshifter said:

• LOL 1

Catching up from last night, where FJ was an instaget for me.  Also because the artist is the only one from Norway I could name, and that painting is the only one by him I could name.

The only TS I got were Henry V, As You Like It, and Marquette.

Am I the only one who said, "Awwww" when Julian said they'd named their son Alex?  

2 hours ago, Grundoon59 said:

Mr. Roberts breaks me every time I see the movie

Same here.  Such a great movie.

• Love 1
4 minutes ago, shapeshifter said:

University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign (UIUC) is actually almost due east of Macomb and Carthage (143 and 167 miles respectively) and slightly south. Almost in Iowa. (I just Googled.) 

I beg to differ but in this part of Illinois it's ALWAYS Champaign-Urbana, NEVER the other way around. And that's a fact jack.

Champaign is one town west of Indiana, only Danville is left before crossing into Hoosier land. Macomb and Carthage is on the west side of the state. Nowhere near Champaign-Urbana and there are no easy connecting roads, it's all "you can't get there from here" two lanes. I don't need to google any Illinois towns or roads since I've been driving them every single weekend for the last four decades for dogs shows, and went through Champaign (Urbana) more times than I can count in the five years of driving back and forth to college in Ohio.

I've been to pretty much every part/city/town in Illinois (and many other states) including to the wilds of Cairo. Now that's some scary country down there in the toe of Illlinois says this person who lives in the civilized cornfields of upper Illinois.

• LOL 1
1 minute ago, saber5055 said:

I beg to differ but in this part of Illinois it's ALWAYS Champaign-Urbana, NEVER the other way around. And that's a fact jack.

True. When I lived there we called it "Chambana." But UIUC has always been the opposite--probably because the campus is (or was?) in Urbana. At least that's where I recall the "famous" Morrow Plots were located. 

And now we're all ready for any clues regarding Chambana or Morrow Plots.
Start your engines! Or John Deere tractors.

• LOL 2

Is there a Clue anniversary or something? Aside from the clue last night, the hosts of one of my favorite podcasts were talking about it in a bonus episode. One of them also referred to an oral history as if one had just been published, but I couldn't find anything and there's no citation in the show notes. Bad academic, M! Bad!

When it came out my best friend and I saw it at multiplex (Como Park, I think) and sneaked into the other 2 theaters to see all 3 endings on the same day.

No dice in FJ.  I remembered Dutch Guiana but that led me not to Suriname but to Guyana.  Close, but no cigar!  I did at least know Ben E King.  I think the song is still widely recognized even if his name is largely forgotten, which is too bad.

The fun thing about Monster Mash charting in the summer of 1973 is that it seems to have been "just because," rather than because it was featured in a particular movie or anything like that.  It just got a bit of regional play which became national play and everyone enjoyed.  I have always enjoyed that song and I admit it is on my playlists all year 'round, just for fun.

Cindy remarked on Reddit that the contestants were not specifically told that their "Regular Verbs" responses had to be phrased as such, but acknowledges that they could have inferred it.  If they wanted to be strict, fine, but they should have been prepared, and all that sloppiness could have been avoided.

8 minutes ago, ABay said:

Is there a Clue anniversary or something? Aside from the clue last night, the hosts of one of my favorite podcasts were talking about it in a bonus episode. One of them also referred to an oral history as if one had just been published, but I couldn't find anything and there's no citation in the show notes.

It was released in December 1985.  There was some to-do for the 35th in 2020, before, to borrow the words of Mrs. White, "you-know."  I was fortunate to see an anniversary screening with several members of the cast and crew.  Nothing lately that I've seen, though.  This is the story that is often referred to as "the oral history."  It is over 5 years old but I haven't seen anything newer.  It's well worth the read for anyone interested in the movie, I think.

Edited by 853fisher
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
1 minute ago, 853fisher said:

Cindy remarked on Reddit that the contestants were not specifically told that their "Regular Verbs" responses had to be phrased as such, but acknowledges that they could have inferred it.  If they wanted to be strict, fine, but they should have been prepared, and all that sloppiness could have been avoided.

"Depreciation" definitely should never have been accepted, since it was not a verb. "Whip", however, is a verb but the contestant did not phrase it as such (he said "what is a whip") Had he said "what is whip", I think it would have been accepted. Mayim was incorrect when she said that they couldn't accept depreciation & whip because they are not verbs. Only depreciation was the "non-verb". Whip is a verb, it just wasn't phrased as such in the response.

• Useful 2
  • Love 7

I was just coming back to post that link, @853fisher. From some of the references in it, I'm sure that's what the podcaster was talking about.

Psych did an homage episode with Leslie Ann Warren and Christopher Lloyd and Martin Mull which I didn't think was fabulous, but they also had Tim Curry in the best episode of the entire series, so all is forgiven.

Edited by ABay
  • LOL 1
  • Love 2

60% / 76% / 68%

There were 3 TSes in the first round and two of them were the verbs that were taken back after the fact (I got both of them, but not the one they actually missed).

Only ran Eponymous Isms and Anti Up, missed one in Charted and Dark Matter.

Got the missed clues of Olympic games, anti-ballistic, Ben E. King, and Petrarch (missed DD; but I got all three DDs).

FJ was an instaget...my first FJ of the week! Also my best game of the week.

• Love 2
23 hours ago, 853fisher said:

Generally speaking, one can be fully vaccinated and still get Covid. White House press secretary Jen Psaki is a recent example. I haven’t been following the story behind Aaron Rodgers, but the fact that he tested positive doesn’t necessarily prove anything regarding his vaccine status.

I said suriname and then changed my answer to South Africa.  

I got the missed clues of Ben E King and Olympics.

I got the entire category of eponymous right and factories wrong.

I have a question re: the corrections.  I knew depreciation was wrong when he said it because not a verb.  but, whip, while being a noun is also a verb.  Why was that deemed wrong?

No joy in FJ-ville for me tonight.  I didn't even head to the right continent!  I was trying to think of somewhere in Africa.  Oh well.

I did get anti-ballistic, Ben E. King, and "Let's Go Crazy".  I was surprised and sad that "Let's Go Crazy" was a TS.

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, Katy M said:

have a question re: the corrections.  I knew depreciation was wrong when he said it because not a verb.  but, whip, while being a noun is also a verb.  Why was that deemed wrong?

I believe the contestant said "a whip" (noun) instead of "whip" (verb).

• Useful 2
  • Love 3

For no reason I can explain, Suriname popped into my head. But I’ll take it. 

Add me to the ones who question the “a whip” vs “whip” decision. I guess articles are only ignored in titles, not when they change a verb to a noun. Glad to see it wouldn’t have made a difference to the outcome. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, SyracuseMug said:

I haven’t been following the story behind Aaron Rodgers, but the fact that he tested positive doesn’t necessarily prove anything regarding his vaccine status.

While I have been following it courtesy of Chicago radio and no, he was not vaccinated. At least not with Moderna, Pfizer or J+J. Just with some made-up stuff.

And I admit "Oslo" in yesterday's FJ clue helped me more than five years of art history classes. Pretty much all painters are "crazy."

Edited by saber5055
  • Love 7

I muttered "Suriname" before the music even started...a true Insta-Get.  I'm glad I didn't even remember Africa, or I would have been second-guessing myself with various African countries that might have been Dutch colonies.

I, too, was puzzled as to why "whip" wasn't a verb, but, yeah, putting "a" in front of it changes it.

I counted the woman out immediately with her silly jazz hands during the opening.  I do recognize some people might be uncomfortable just standing there & smiling the whole time, but, sheesh, jazz hands?

I think that as Mayim has become more comfortable as host, she's leaving her wardrobe comfort zone - I thought her outfit looked great tonight. It fit way better than her earlier outfits. I hope she keeps it up.

• Love 4
29 minutes ago, chessiegal said:
33 minutes ago, Katy M said:

have a question re: the corrections.  I knew depreciation was wrong when he said it because not a verb.  but, whip, while being a noun is also a verb.  Why was that deemed wrong?

I believe the contestant said "a whip" (noun) instead of "whip" (verb).

In this case especially Matt's type of response would have worked well. 'What's whip'

• LOL 2
  • Love 11
17 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I counted the woman out immediately with her silly jazz hands during the opening.  I do recognize some people might be uncomfortable just standing there & smiling the whole time, but, sheesh, jazz hands?

I didn't register the jazz hands, but I thought people here would pounce on her slow talk and her tendency to say the whole long category name. At those moments, I missed Matt and his "condensing" everything. 

• Love 5
53 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I think that as Mayim has become more comfortable as host, she's leaving her wardrobe comfort zone - I thought her outfit looked great tonight. It fit way better than her earlier outfits. I hope she keeps it up.

She only has to keep it up one more day since Ken starts hosting Monday.

55 minutes ago, Prevailing Wind said:

She might be in some online Jeopardy fan site who talked her into doing jazz hands as a shout out to them. You know, like we tried to get @teebax to salute us with finger guns.

• Useful 1
  • LOL 6
  • Love 4

This was an archive game for me, but I was reclined with my cat on my lap when I read it, so I didn't write anything down.  It was a pretty average performance; I remember I missed four in the first round, and I probably missed 10-12 in DJ.   I knew FJ right away.

Giving anything other than a verb in the verb category should have been immediately ruled wrong; it's ridiculous they had to correct those after the fact.

I think Ben E. King and Olympics were the only TS that surprised me any, but it has been several hours and, sadly, that could be enough time for me to forget.

• Love 1

I loved her. I thought she had a lot of knowledge in a variety of categories, and I loved that she subverted my stereotypes, because when I heard what she does for a living, and I saw what how she dressed, I immediately thought I wouldn't like her. Shame on me! Also, I found her "regional Kit Kat" story strangely interesting-- I now am craving a tour of "Kit Kats of Japan"

(I'm speaking of the female contestant; I am embarrassed to say I don't remember her name.)

• Love 4