Type keyword(s) to search

Jeopardy! Season 38 (2021-2022)

Athena
  • Start Topic

Heck, I don't live anywhere near Atlanta and I remember that.  Athens was really pissed that Atlanta got the centennial Olympics but there's no way Athens could've been ready in time.  They were barely ready in time for the 2004 Olympics.

35 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

NEVER SAY NEVER is an odd Bond movie. As said above, it was a different production company. They brought back Connery, but had a different M and Miss Moneypenny even though Bernard Lee and Lois Maxwell were still playing the roles for EON Productions opposite Roger Moore. Also, NEVER... was a complete remake of THUNDERBALL which Connery himself had already done about 15 years earlier!

For some reason Sean Connery owned the rights to the story for Thunderball rather than the Broccoli family owning them, which is why another production company made the remake.  I actually prefer Never Say Never Again to Thunderball.  Klaus Maria Brandauer was a much better villain and Barbara Carrera was awesome as his henchwoman.  And the script really played with the idea that Connery was too old for that shit.

1 hour ago, 853fisher said:

"1970s Songs"?  Less fortuitous for me.  I wish I'd approached the clue as "name a really big Europop song" and not trying to sing through all 20 minutes of the Queen song in 30 seconds.  Oh well!  Next time.

That seems have been the successful approach rather than ours.  That song has too many words.

6 hours ago, Clanstarling said:

got the right city, just the wrong name for the date. (with the song "It's Istanbul, Not Constantinople" running through my head._

I did the same thing.  I knew it wasn't called Constantinople at the time but couldn't think of Byzantium to save my life despite having looked at a lot of Byzantine art in various art history classes.

51 minutes ago, Gimmick Genius said:

Aside from Final's 30 second 'writing time', Daily Doubles are the only Jeopardy questions that have a time limit. Often, you can see the light bulbs counting it down. So I guess you have that much time to come up with a full response, unless you're called wrong (at host's discretion). I think we don't usually see CHANGED answers in that time because most people either spit it right out, or say nothing, or say something obviously and completely wrong. If you're close, or incomplete, I don't mind giving the full time limit to "work it out."

I wasn't thinking about it being a Daily Double, but that makes sense.

So did anyone get the last line of Moby Dick?  I don't think I know anyone who ever finished the book, other than one guy I worked with at Borders nearly 15 years ago.  Most people don't get past the first line.

• Love 3
Just now, proserpina65 said:

So did anyone get the last line of Moby Dick? 

My mother did. And she was shocked that no one got it. Apparently, she thinks it's very memorable. Truthfully, I don't even know if she's actually read it (she's seen various movie versions several times).

• Love 2
2 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

So did anyone get the last line of Moby Dick?  I don't think I know anyone who ever finished the book, other than one guy I worked with at Borders nearly 15 years ago.  Most people don't get past the first line.

That's the one I missed! But I've never read it.

1 minute ago, illdoc said:

My mother did. And she was shocked that no one got it. Apparently, she thinks it's very memorable. Truthfully, I don't even know if she's actually read it (she's seen various movie versions several times).

I read the book and I was enjoying it most of the way, but then I was just over it by the end and think I may have even skimmed the last 20 pages.

• Love 1
Just now, ams1001 said:

That's the one I missed! But I've never read it.

Me neither.  I know "Call me Ishmael" and that's it other than the basic plot.  I never fancied spending that much time learning the minutiae of whaling and apparently Melville went into a LOT of detail.

• Love 4

I definitely missed Moby Dick.  Most of what I do know comes from the "Facts of Life" episode in which Sue Ann writes a comically bad essay about it after Helen Hunt gives her some dope.  It didn't make it seem like taking up either the novel or the drugs would be particularly rewarding experiences.

Edited by 853fisher
  • LOL 6
  • Love 1
56 minutes ago, proserpina65 said:

For some reason Sean Connery owned the rights to the story for Thunderball rather than the Broccoli family owning them, which is why another production company made the remake.

Not Connery, but an Irish producer named Kevin McClory.  The novel Thunderball grew out of a screenplay for a proposed James Bond film that Ian Fleming and McClory were working on.  When that film fell through, Fleming went ahead and wrote the novel based on the screenplay.  McClory sued him for plagiarism.  There was a long legal fight, which was eventually settled such that Fleming ended up with the rights to the novel (although it had to include a "based on a screenplay by..." credit), and McClory got the film rights.

Never Say Never Again amuses me because they make a big deal of the fact that Bond is older and needs to get back into shape, despite Connery being three years younger than Roger Moore, who was then playing the role in the "official" series.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
25 minutes ago, MrAtoz said:

Not Connery, but an Irish producer named Kevin McClory.  The novel Thunderball grew out of a screenplay for a proposed James Bond film that Ian Fleming and McClory were working on.  When that film fell through, Fleming went ahead and wrote the novel based on the screenplay.  McClory sued him for plagiarism.  There was a long legal fight, which was eventually settled such that Fleming ended up with the rights to the novel (although it had to include a "based on a screenplay by..." credit), and McClory got the film rights.

Never Say Never Again amuses me because they make a big deal of the fact that Bond is older and needs to get back into shape, despite Connery being three years younger than Roger Moore, who was then playing the role in the "official" series.

Oops, thanks for the correction.  I knew it wasn't the Broccolis but clearly got other details very confused.

Yep, that always amused me as well.

I actually DID slog through Moby Dick. It took me three years to do it. Since then, I have a rule - If a book doesn't grab my attention in the first 20 pages, it goes back to the library or gets deleted from the Kindle. Life's too short to read bad books.  But - I don't remember a damn thing I read in those three years - so I did miss the clue.

• Love 7

I got last night's FJ in the nick of time -- I did run through the lyrics, but I started more toward the middle and was able to get there in time.  A better strategy would definitely have been to focus on the Europop aspect of the clue.

The TS I got include Sean Connery, secretary bird, drowsy sword, and smart trams.  

Hillary seemed quite nervous.  I was concerned she was going to break her buzzer, but her hesitation in picking the next clue already drove me nuts.  Dane's bet was odd, but I'm not sad that it worked out for him.  Middle guy definitely made the smart bet. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Prevailing Wind said:

I actually DID slog through Moby Dick. It took me three years to do it. Since then, I have a rule - If a book doesn't grab my attention in the first 20 pages, it goes back to the library or gets deleted from the Kindle. Life's too short to read bad books.  But - I don't remember a damn thing I read in those three years - so I did miss the clue.

I used to be one of those people who always finished a book, but I'm much less willing to waste my time these days. I don't read as fast as I used to (I blame the internet for destroying my attention span) so when it sometimes takes me weeks to read a book I am interested in, I'm certainly not going to spend even more time to read one I'm not.

• Love 10

77% / 63% / 70%

Another good first round - ran Lakes & Rivers (not usually one of my stronger categories), Celebrity Entrepreneurs, and Up All Night; missed one Mythical Miss (also not usually a strong subject) and three each in the other categories.

Second round slightly better than yesterday…ran Science & Nature, missed one in Caribbean History, four Shirleys, and two each in the others.

FJ was a near-instaget.

Got the missed clues of Mexico City (DD), Helen of Troy, and monotremes.

Bubbles Platypus GIF

Good game, with big scores that weren't runaways!

• Love 3

I got FJ, but was thinking it was too easy so maybe I was wrong about the exact placement and it wasn't south of the equator.

I got the missed clues of bid and Mexico City.

I got th eentire categories of Lakes and up all night right.

• Love 2

Wow, what an exciting finish.

I only ran Up All Night and firsts in the first round, but I wasn't bad in the rest; I missed three in mythology, but that's not bad for me, and I only missed one each in the others.  I was bummed to miss a river, because the last time I quizzed myself on lakes and rivers was just a few days ago (I periodically take geography quizzes), but only missing one celebrity was a pleasant surprise.  Even though I generally excel at vocabulary categories, the bid TS stumped me, too, to the point my response was "Huh?"

In DJ, I only ran word origins, and this time I was pretty bad in the rest.  I blew the entire book into a movie category (I could have told you who starred in all the films, but not who wrote any of the books), and the only Shirley I knew was Chisholm.  (I can't believe I couldn't think of the word "protocol" for the Shirley Temple clue, but neither could any of the contestants, so at least I'm in good company.)  I missed three in sitcoms, two in Caribbean, and one in science.

FJ was an instaget, at least.

No FJ, but at least I knew that India was too obvious. I guess that means I'm getting the hang of this.

Oh, Andrew! How could you not think of Mexico City given "air pollution"? I thought maybe Andrew was one of those not as good at coming up with responses when he has too much time to think. 
But he did fine on FJ, and, most importantly, drove an exciting game with his inspiring True Daily Doubles.

But, oh, Mary! I didn't get "bid" either, but my mom, an avid Bridge player, would have been making that face at it being a TS. 

Edited by shapeshifter
Typo
  • Love 4

What an impressive game! Both players went all in on the DD, and got them right, which was nice to see. I wonder if that was the highest 2nd place ever. Usually when a player gets a really high score it’s because they got all the DDs so for two to be at $52,000 was incredible!

• Love 6

12 hours ago, 853fisher said:

I

I wonder whether the guest hosts are relying on their earpiece more than Alex used to?  Perhaps he was more comfortable or explicitly empowered to rule quickly on his own in a way the newcomers are not.  

I imagine that when Alex Trebek first started wearing an earpiece it took him some time to get used to it.  There are certainly plenty of examples of him pausing and patently listening to someone telling him which way to judge.

I hope our Hazel was watching tonight and saw that they were playing her song!

7 hours ago, bankerchick said:

Wow, imagine earning $52,000 and not winning!  That has to be the highest non-winning score ever.

Apparently that was Adam Levin, one of Holzhauer's opponents, who bet all but $1 and finished just $18 short of James with $53,999.  But Dane seems to be second behind him.  Those two dueling daily doubles were just fantastic.

• Useful 1
  • Love 7

Always sunny shout out!

What a game and gutsy call.  I'm wondering now whats the highest amount scored on Jeopardy without winning?  That has to be close.  

Ok I should read the thread question answered. 

Edited by DrSpaceman73
  • LOL 2

I agree with everyone that last night’s game was exciting. I’d love to see more competitions like that. I got Mexico City, Helen of Troy, and FJ was an instaget. I didn’t do well in the sitcoms category. I guess I don’t watch enough of that kind of tv. I’m also mad at myself that I didn’t come up with bid because I play bridge. Congratulations to Andrew. He earned his win. 

• Love 4

I did reasonably well on the boards - not great, but okay.

I was astonished (as was the mister) that I got FJ. Geography is my weakest topic. I kept thinking that the country I was thinking of was something else, and Indonesia was a filler until I came up with the right name.  What a surprise.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

Congratulations to Andrew. He earned his win. 

I was rooting for him although I looked askance at him for his guess of Henry VIII in a clue about the 17th century. Congrats to Dane as well for keeping it interesting down to the wire. 

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, SomeTameGazelle said:

I was rooting for him although I looked askance at him for his guess of Henry VIII in a clue about the 17th century. Congrats to Dane as well for keeping it interesting down to the wire. 

Yes. Good point! Dane was a worthy player too!

• Love 2

I loved yesterday's game with the gutsy DDs and FJ bidding. I was rooting for Andrew (I love his hair) so was happy he won, although Dane put up the good fight.

FJ was easy since there was a discussion about Indonesia here not that long ago, when the clue asked the same thing about population north of the equator. If that hadn't occurred, no way would FJ been so simple for me.

• Love 4
23 hours ago, ams1001 said:

Got the missed clues of Mexico City (DD), Helen of Troy, and monotremes.

I didn't get monotremes although I should have but did get the others.  Although I guess I didn't realize that Helen of Troy was supposed to be the daughter of Zeus.

• Love 3

63% / 60% / 62%

Ugh. Only category I ran was Blood, missed one each in 2-letter words, Serving, Authors, Ferries, and Archaeology. I usually do pretty well in wordplay categories but I only got one Jeoportmateau. Boo.

My only missed clues were Chihuahua, Mammoth Cave (DD), and Governor's Island. I did get all the DDs.

I got FJ...said it right away but I wasn't confident in it. But I couldn't come with anything else.

Worst game of the week so far but at least I got an asterisk...

• Love 2

I just checked the archive, as I'll be watching football tonight.  Thankfully not being able to see pictures wasn't much of an issue with this game.

Ugh, another Women Authors category.  Will this ever stop?!

It was a little weird for Alec Baldwin's name to pop up, given what happened between when this episode was filmed and now.

I didn't know Marc Bolan's name, so I missed that TS.  Same with the Aquino TS, as I didn't know his first name.  I also missed two in history and one in Treys, but got everything else in the first round.

In DJ, I didn't run a single category.  Again.  I missed three in cinema (it would have been two, but I couldn't remember Doc's last name), two each in archaeology, portmanteaus, and ferries, and one each in the other two.  So not bad, but frustrating (I have a thing about not having at least one DJ category in which I know all of them).

FJ was an instaget (well, instaguess that I then doubted but stuck with).

• Love 2

I got fJ right, but I have to admit I was not very confident in my answer.  Total guess.

I got the missed clues of Mad Max, Mammoth Cave and chihuhua.

I got the entire categories of 2 letter words and women authors right.

Good night for me.

• Love 1

FJ was an instaguess for me too - only because I had no other guess to make but was shocked it was correct.

Wonder what would happen if someone crossed off a correct FJ answer, and then didn't write another one down?

I am sad Alex isn't here for all these successful, TOC-worthy contestants.

• Love 4

I got FJ almost immediately, but then waffled between it and the Star of India.  Finally decided to stick with my first response, and I'm glad I did.  Asterisk for me!

TS I got included Mammoth Cave, bluestone, and Chihuahua.

• Love 3
39 minutes ago, Driad said:

What do we call it when we guess FJ from the category, before seeing the clue?  And who else did that today?

That would be me. I love to pre-guess and have actually gotten a few that way. I remember seeing that Diamond in the Smithsonian as a child and then again as an adult. So an asterisk for me too. 
  I ran the Blood category and also came up with Halston (watched a bio-movie on him a month ago), Mammoth Cave, Governor’s Island, and chihuahua. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Driad said:

What do we call it when we guess FJ from the category, before seeing the clue?  And who else did that today?

Jeopardy Blind Guess and there’s a Twitter page dedicated to it where people guess every day. Obviously it’s all on the honor system and for fun.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, proserpina65 said:

I didn't get monotremes although I should have but did get the others.  Although I guess I didn't realize that Helen of Troy was supposed to be the daughter of Zeus.

I said mono (something, I don't remember what). So wrong, but in the right direction. I had no idea about Helen of Troy, but then it's my daughter who is the myth maven.

14 hours ago, illdoc said:

Rockefeller doesn't get a BMS???? John, Nelson, Kit??????

Well, they did identify "III" so unless any other part of the Rockefeller family has a trey,  it seems okay to me.

14 hours ago, possibilities said:

Thanks for posting that, I was going to look for it today. Except for the black eyed peas, sounds good to me.

I did pretty well. I didn't run anything, but almost ran (as in missed one) four categories - Blood, Women Authors, Doggone Cinema, and France vs America. I missed the most obvious one in France (a la carte), and AirBud in cinema. I didn't know the author I missed, or her book.

Alec Baldwin's mention may be another version of the Jeopardy curse. Such a terrible thing.

Edited by Clanstarling
  • Love 4
5 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

I said mono (something, I don't remember what). So wrong, but in the right direction.

Me too. I did get FJ because it was the only famous jewel I could think of.

• Love 3
43 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Well, they did identify "III" so unless any other part of the Rockefeller family has a trey,  it seems okay to me.

Confession: It took me four clues to figure out what "Treys" was referring to.

44 minutes ago, Clanstarling said:

Thanks for posting that, I was going to look for it today. Except for the black eyed peas, sounds good to me.

I could go for some cornbread...maybe someone will bring it to the Final Jeopardy Contest virtual table. ;)

• Love 4
13 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

Confession: It took me four clues to figure out what "Treys" was referring to.

lol, I was not looking at the screen unless they said something that made me think it was a picture so I didn't figure that out until the end. I thought 'Trays' was an odd category.😏 Even so I got Impaler and Ranier correct.

• Love 2
3 minutes ago, dgpolo said:

lol, I was not looking at the screen unless they said something that made me think it was a picture so I didn't figure that out until the end. I thought 'Trays' was an odd category.😏 Even so I got Impaler and Ranier correct.

It's only recently that I learned that the name "Trey" is sometimes a nickname for someone who is the third in their family with the same name, anyway. I wasn't really noticing the "III" in the clues.

• Useful 1
  • Love 4
53 minutes ago, ams1001 said:

It's only recently that I learned that the name "Trey" is sometimes a nickname for someone who is the third in their family with the same name, anyway. I wasn't really noticing the "III" in the clues.

Trip/Tripp is also a common nickname - short for Triple.

• Useful 4
  • Love 1
20 hours ago, possibilities said:

The OK state meal sounds delicious, to me!

All of those things are my delicious favorites. Although all together in one meal, I'd have to bring my Tupperware to enjoy some the next day.

• Love 2
15 minutes ago, PBnJay said:

I'd have to bring my Tupperware to enjoy some the next day.

Or a bento box? I only got that clue the other day because I had just read a story where they used it a bit.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3