Type keyword(s) to search

S15.E06: Different Wives, Different Rules

• Start Topic

Utah has decriminalized polygamy, and Christine toys with the idea of moving back. Meanwhile, coronavirus cases are rising, and Arizona goes into lockdown. Janelle tells Kody to stop coming over, and the whole family grapples with how to handle it.

Air Date: March 21, 2021

If Janelle and Meri have always had dogs, why can't Robyn's kids? More evidence that Kody lives with Robyn only. 

I thought "the triplets" were all the same year in high school: Gabe, Gwen and Aurora? Why doesn't the "no walking for graduation" affect all three of them?

• Love 5
6 minutes ago, Tuxcat said:

If Janelle and Meri have always had dogs, why can't Robyn's kids? More evidence that Kody lives with Robyn only. 

I thought "the triplets" were all the same year in high school: Gabe, Gwen and Aurora? Why doesn't the "no walking for graduation" affect all three of them?

Gabe graduated a year early but Gwen and Aurora both were graduating spring 2020.  I saw pictures and video of Gwen having her graduation ceremony in a car parade - where she was standing in the sun roof of Christine's car to receive her diploma.  There was no video posted of Aurora so I don't know what her deal was (if she was allowed to participate).  

• Useful 1
  • Love 8

There wasn't much in this episode that last week's previews didn't allude to, but I don't think it was a bad episode. 

Miss Savannah! Bass guitarist, has such a serene demeanor, and speaks so eloquently. I love her!!

• Like 1
  • Love 17

Does Areolabela have Childhood Apraxia of Speech and ADHD?  Her parents seem to be too self absorbed to do anything to help her speak like other 4 year olds.

And now Mariah is doing that clenched-teeth speaking like Maddie & seems to think it makes her sound more authoritative.  It doesn't.

Edited by deirdra
  • Love 10
2 hours ago, Tuxcat said:

Kind of like how at first Kody said we have two birthdays, then caught it and said five 😳

• Love 15
1 hour ago, Art Of Noiz said:

There wasn't much in this episode that last week's previews didn't allude to, but I don't think it was a bad episode. 

Miss Savannah! Bass guitarist, has such a serene demeanor, and speaks so eloquently. I love her!!

I agree it wasn’t such a bad episode considering they supposedly filmed it themselves and I was genuinely happy for them to see polygamy de-criminalized in Utah.

• Love 3

okay. I'm going to be a touch pedantic. They put the timeline of this episode in the April-ish time of 2020.  Saying things about Robyn's kids staying at home from school for the "rest of the year" and showing Christine at the picnic table with kids and laptops, talking about walking at graduation. Springtime.

Then the big discussion in Janelle's backyard about telling the kids that she asked Kody to stay away from the house for awhile because the boys are still out and about.  The details give a very different timeline and that scene was shot with a variety of angles with good sound quality, not with a stationary camera or a mobile phone.  The greenery around her was not Spring and her picking tomatoes puts those shots at late summer. Gabe mentioned that all classes at uni were socially distanced and everyone wore masks.  That had to be a reenactment because those measures weren't in universities in March/April.

Plus the Timeline of Janelle's Lip puts that scene after her surgery and healing...so no way they were authentically discussing Kody not coming around.

How boring was all of the Brown's home/self filming if they needed to do reshoots 6 months later...

Going back years when Christine mentioned how she had lowered the dose on her anxiety/depression medication...I remember her over the top way of speaking over everyone and her yell talking.  Tho she is often a bit juvenile in that way. She is off the charts with the over accentuated words and yelling again, it makes me wonder if she isn't back on the medication after the stress of the move and what must be a nightmare of finances.

• Useful 6
  • Love 18
8 hours ago, deirdra said:

Does Areolabela have Childhood Apraxia of Speech and ADHD?  Her parents seem to be too self absorbed to do anything to help her speak like other 4 year olds.

And now Mariah is doing that clenched-teeth speaking like Maddie & seems to think it makes her sound more authoritative.  It doesn't.

Her speech is fine.

• Love 9

Meri is really repressed and still hints at homophobia.  After she asserts that a person needs 4 hugs a day just to survive, she says, "I love hugs & touch from the appropriate person (nervous laugh), you know what I mean?  And when you don't have that, it fills rilly, ri-i-lly lonely."  She then says that she is careful not to push Kody so that he doesn't think that she's demanding or pushy.  She has to modulate her behavior around her ex-husband, and her last romance was with a fictitious man.  She will never meet the RDA of daily hugs.

Probably to spite Meri, Mariah caresses Audrey in every scene.  Their significant weight gain between the scenes and interviews is really striking.

Edited by Grifter Lives
Cetacean is right.
  • Love 11

People were giving Gabe a hard time for not worrying about bringing covid home to Janelle.  I wasn't taking Gabe's position on covid to be that he was selfish didn't care if he caught it and brought it home.  I think he simply didn't want to go to the extremes that Robyn went to (not going out at all, striping down and washing clothes, etc) and Kody was saying he wouldn't feel safe unless they were doing what Robyn did.  Kody was basically saying he couldn't go to school or see his girlfriend and Garrison couldn't work, if they wanted him to come over.

• Love 14

Couple of random thoughts:

Was this episode a prelude to them moving back to Utah? Will we have to watch them struggle, sell and pack and listen to the kids unsolicited opinions  again? I did like when one of Christines kids asked why they move so much. Can't we just pick a place and stay? Smart kid. 

Why do Mariah and Audrey have to practically sit on top of each other and hold hands all the freaking time? Alllll the time. These are grown ass women, not star struck teenagers. Nobody does that in real life. 

Janelle's backyard was depressing me. Put some nice patio furniture out there, some plants/flowers and mow that damn grass. Make it a home even if it is just a rental! 

Dogs make everything better. You can get non-shedding breeds. We adopted a sweet hypoallergenic non shedding sweetheart at a shelter. Get the girls a dog, Koduche! 

• Love 15
20 minutes ago, Grifter Lives said:

Meri is really repressed and still hints at homophobia.  After she asserts that a person needs 4 hugs a day just to survive, she says, "I love hugs & touch from the appropriate person (nervous laugh), you know what I mean?  And when you don't have that, it fills rilly, ri-i-lly lonely."  She then says that she is careful not to push Kody so that he doesn't think that she's demanding or pushy.  She has to modulate her behavior around her ex-husband, and her last romance was with a fictitious man.  She will never meet the RDA of daily hugs.

Probably in spite of Meri, Mariah caresses Audrey in every scene.  Their significant weight gain between the scenes and interviews is really striking.

I don’t think Meri’s comment was about homophobia at all, she hugs Mariah and Audrey all the time. It was about wanting to have a husband to hug which she hasn’t had in a long time.

As to why Mariah and Audrey are holding hands all the time, they are in love. I was like that when I was first with my husband and we were 30 years old. 

Edited by Madding crowd
  • Love 22

Breanna Rose April 10, 2004 (age 16)

Aurora Alice April 13, 2002 (age 18)

Truely Grace April 13, 2010 (age 10)

Robert Garrison April 16, 1998 (age 22)

Ysabel Paige June 12, 2003 (age 17)

The 2 i mean 5 birthdays Kody was facing at the beginning of covid.  

• Useful 2
  • Love 6
10 minutes ago, Madding crowd said:

As to why Mariah and Audrey are holding hands all the time, they are in love. I was like that when I was first with my husband and we were 30 years old. 

My point exactly. They have been together for years now. And I would hope they are in love. Most couples are. 

• Love 9
36 minutes ago, Grifter Lives said:

Probably in spite of Meri, Mariah caresses Audrey in every scene.

Probably TO spite Meri, Mariah caresses Audrey in every scene.  She loves to stir the shit. 

I wonder if it's like that off camera.  I'm guessing not, Audrey is too busy taking endless shots of Princess to post on SM.

• Love 11
14 minutes ago, Cetacean said:

Probably TO spite Meri, Mariah caresses Audrey in every scene.  She loves to stir the shit. 

I wonder if it's like that off camera.  I'm guessing not, Audrey is too busy taking endless shots of Princess to post on SM.

Thanks - You are absolutely correct.  I edited my remark.

They're behaving like this on-camera, after they've been in near-complete isolation together for at least two weeks.  Mariah must be contrary and in everyone's face about something.  Also, they're pushing for TLC to underwrite her wedding.  Thus, Mariah must show that she has the deepest, most meaningful and lasting relationship of all her siblings.

I doubt they're like that off-camera.  As you suspect, Audrey's posting photos of Mariah and their carb-loading fests at Lizzie's.

Edited by Grifter Lives
  • Love 6

If Kody had really wanted to visit with Janelle and HER kids, there is no reason that he could not have met with them even daily on Janelle's dismal patio.  He could have caught up on what is going on in their lives and possibly even learned that Gabe had a girlfriend.  Kody would not have been able to partake of one of Janelle's creative dinners or lunches but she could have handed each of them a bag of Nachos and a bottle of soda that had been carefully sanitized on the exterior before Kody ran the risk of touching something that had been exposed to the general population.

If Robyn is going through the extreme measures of decontamination, I wonder if she is going full tilt and maintaining shower, shampoo and nail scrub routines before entering the general domain of her household.  The bathroom designated for this purpose would have to be located in an area off limits to the rest of the family and easily accessed from where she parked her car.  Her shoes that she wore when shopping would never be able to grace the hallowed halls of her homestead and the clothing she wore when shopping would need to be plastic bagged and laundered independent of any other household members.  

• Love 17
1 hour ago, smarty2020 said:

Christine's birthday (April 18, 1972) is the fifth birthday.  But, she's the basement wife, who apparently would be in charge of raising the cow and chickens for Kody & Robyn's family, so she's easily overlooked.

• LOL 5
  • Love 8

Watching them all discuss things as they happened for all of us almost a year ago was more boring than usual.  We've been there, done that, it feels like ancient history already.  For once something happened no different for them because they're polygamists.  And, polygamy was decriminalized.  Yay.  Boring. Boring. Boring.

Kody's hair never stops looking totally ridiculous. 

• LOL 1
  • Love 13

It strikes me how convenient the pandemic was for Kody and his desire to pretend he is in a monogamous marriage with Robyn. I would love to hear their private conversations. “Well, we still have to pretend the other three women are wives instead of our coworkers at our workplace called Sister Wives.”  If not for the paycheck, this sham would be over. Until then, they are just coworkers.

And seriously, the kids of the other wives are nothing more to Kody than my coworkers’ kids are to me...I know their names, might know some birthdays and interests, but I don’t need to hang out with them.

• LOL 1
  • Love 19
2 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

I am now especially angry at the Kadouche ignoring Truely’s birthday.  Being the same day as Princess Aurora of the Fainting Couch.

• LOL 2
  • Love 15

When we were watching Kody I wondered just how many hours the editor had to watch to end up with what we saw. I think Kody blathered on ages because he could no longer call family meetings and pontificate at them. 

• LOL 4
  • Love 10
48 minutes ago, lamadeleine said:

Yes...and initially there was a lot of theory being bandied about that people in the 20's and younger were essentially safe, or at least safer, from the disease than older folks. His attitude seemed consistent with the thinking of the time.

Here were my takeaways from the episode:

• Kody's "psycho-cam" talking head in Robyn's garage. Dude, take it down notch or 10...what am I saying? It's Kody. I cannot think of a worse person to have to ride out a pandemic with- especially in those early days.
  • Kody never referring to any of the kids as 'his' kids.
  • I was struck by the reactions of all the kids who were given the amazing, glorious news that they were no longer felons. Even Brianna and Aurora, who are usually OTT about everything, were just kind of subdued and polite about it. It seemed rilly clear that while the kids see how important this is for the adults, it's just not the center of their identity (re: Christine).
  • The whole dog conversation encapsulated for me the mystery wrapped in a crunchy haired enigma that is Kody Brown. He insists on not getting a dog solely because of the perceived stress it will put on his lifestyle- how great it might be for the kids never enters his reptilian brain. He doesn't want to take care of it and he doesn't want dog hair on his fashion collection. So, his counter-offer is... A HORSE????  An animal that is a bazillion times more expensive and completely unrealistic given the circumstances. Even if the horse offer was made maybe somewhat in jest, it just again shows that Kody's default is his own comfort and needs, regardless of practicality and expense. 

Will you marry me? 

• LOL 12
3 hours ago, Roslyn said:

Then the big discussion in Janelle's backyard about telling the kids that she asked Kody to stay away from the house for awhile because the boys are still out and about.  The details give a very different timeline and that scene was shot with a variety of angles with good sound quality, not with a stationary camera or a mobile phone.  The greenery around her was not Spring and her picking tomatoes puts those shots at late summer. Gabe mentioned that all classes at uni were socially distanced and everyone wore masks.  That had to be a reenactment because those measures weren't in universities in March/April.

Plus the Timeline of Janelle's Lip puts that scene after her surgery and healing...so no way they were authentically discussing Kody not coming around.

How boring was all of the Brown's home/self filming if they needed to do reshoots 6 months later...

This is a GREAT catch, @Roslyn !

Edited by Teafortwo
  • Love 12
1 hour ago, itsadryheat said:

Kody's I'm a victim so I'm throwing Janelle and sons under the bus tweet: "Gabriel and Garrison both could have stopped their social lives for me to return home. They say "unfair" but never changed their behavior and Janelle didn't insist on it."

He very easily could have visited OUTSIDE . . . if he wanted to. I am in AZ, spoke with neighbors and friends outside throughout 2020. This guy. Always a problem, never a problem solver. Can't imagine having him in my life. 

His glee over the Utah ruling seemed close to crazed. Calling a family meeting with 3 teenagers and a 4 and a 6 year old to announce the news. And then the talking head with his legal wife where he goes on and on about how he wants to get a plyg ticket so he can sue Utah again and win money is delusional. 

I'm seriously starting to wonder if Robyn tweets for Kody. 

• Useful 1
  • LOL 4
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, sheshark said:

I am now especially angry at the Kadouche ignoring Truely’s birthday.  Being the same day as Princess Aurora of the Fainting Couch.

At the time, Christine posted on Instagram a picture of her and Truely with Kody at In N Out Burger. They had to travel some distance to get to it (Flagstaff doesn't have one). That was her birthday celebration. So, not nothing, but still  😞

• Useful 1
  • Love 9

https://www.instagram.com/p/B-8itZGh9TE/

I don't know how to screen shot it but Christine posted two photos to instgram on Truely's birthday last year.  The first was the picture of Kody, Christine and Truely at In N Out Burger.  The second is a photo of Christine's tv showing the episode where Truely was born.  Apparently they were rewatching the episode to celebrate Truely's birthday.  The picture she took was the scene where Kody asked the ob/gyn about fertility treatments for Meri while Christine is in the hospital bed in labor.  The subtitle on the screen shows Kody asking "So who would you recommend for a fertility doctor"?  Holy cow, Christine was trolling Kody and I didn't even catch it back then.....

• LOL 4
  • Love 11
3 hours ago, smarty2020 said:

But it's more than obvious that only the first two names count.  Kootie is an asshole, and pul-leeze, Robchins, don't make me laugh by pretending to care that nobody but you will be graced with Kootie's presence.  "It's heartbreaking."  GTFOOH with that, bitch.

• Love 13